Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Targets of Opportunity...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Targets of Opportunity...
      #148856 - 25/12/09 11:33 AM

Some small game for the pot. We really are not handgun hunters per se, but use pistols and wheelguns for little stuff, varmints, trapped critters and butcher stock mostly.

First, couple weeks ago, Sonny was scouting in his pickup and stopped to take a hike. As soon as he heard the door go click he knew his blunder...door locked and keys inside...

He was over 8 miles away from home, so he started hoofing overland to get me and a spare key.

On his way he made lemons out of the lemonade, arriving home long after dark. Two grouse fell to his Ruger Redhawk and factory 240 grain Federal HP's, along the hike, so the day wasn't a total bust.

Today we were putting up a treestand and took a walk to a blowdown where we've jumped a bunny or two in the past. Ditto today, and with a round of 130 FPFMJ's from my 6" bbl Ruger Security Six one went into the pot.

The treestand project:

I used to collect Smith revolvers, then sold most of them to fund some other project, and then decided I wanted a .357 for the girls and their horse trips. Thus the Ruger Security Six. Great revolver. Feels better in my hand than a Smith K frame, and is quite accurate with .357 and .38 loads. Trigger isn't quite as fine as a Smith, but very useable. As for Junior, when he decided he wanted a .44, we mulled it over and though I prize my Smith Heritage 29-9, told him to get the Ruger Redhawk. He hasn't regretted it. It is heavier than my tapered-barrel Smith, but feels great in the hand and serves all purposes very well.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Targets of Opportunity... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #148858 - 25/12/09 11:49 AM

Great stuff.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Targets of Opportunity... [Re: 500Nitro]
      #148860 - 25/12/09 11:55 AM

Great stuff indeed!

Thanks for the snapshots.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Targets of Opportunity... [Re: tinker]
      #148863 - 25/12/09 01:19 PM

Great shooting there, 9.3!! A handy .38 Special may be one of the best "trail" rounds there is. I have a 4" barreled S&W model 15 that I use for just such a purpose. The .357/.38 combination is truly versatile. For some unknown reason, I've been enamored with the .41 Mag. Maybe it just sounds good!

Sonny is quite a marksman by taking two Grouse on the wing with a handgun !!

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Targets of Opportunity... [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #148868 - 25/12/09 01:53 PM

Quote:

Sonny is quite a marksman by taking two Grouse on the wing with a handgun !!

Thanks very much for all.

I must say tho for the record and to clear up an aviary cultural distinction, our ruffed grouse do not act like their elusive and explosive Eastern cousins.

Admittedly, they must be stalked and many flush before opportunity presents itself, but Western ruffed's oftimes sit still for the shot, thus our common and legal use of rifles and pistols on them, and his use of the .44.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #148886 - 26/12/09 02:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I must say tho for the record and to clear up an aviary cultural distinction, our ruffed grouse do not act like their elusive and explosive Eastern cousins.

Admittedly, they must be stalked and many flush before opportunity presents itself, but Western ruffed's oftimes sit still for the shot, thus our common and legal use of rifles and pistols on them, and his use of the .44.

Don't be too sure of that! I've hunted those buggers in Michigan, New Jersey, and Maine and in all three places have run across Grouse that would sit in the branches of a tree with a dog on the ground and stare at you until you hit it with a rock. Others would flush as soon as you left your house on the way to your covert 20 miles away.

I was kidding about hitting them flying because I know that hitting sitting grouse and Hares are a big challenge with a handgun.

Congrats, again. Rabbit, Grouse, carrots, celery, onion...... a nice winter stew!

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Targets of Opportunity... [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #148890 - 26/12/09 03:39 AM

Der Jaeger;

Thanks for your kind comments.

Yup, you know them!

They are both good challenges with pistol, even sitting, but I sure wish I could hit them on the wing!

Fröliche Weinachten!

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #148892 - 26/12/09 03:50 AM

Being from South Western Ontario, when my West-coast stationed bro first wrote he regularly shot ruffed grouse with a rifle, I literally called him a lier. a few years later, after being posted to Smithers. BC, I found he wasn't the lier I called him and routinely shot them with a rifle as well. I also apologised to him. Once fall, I shot 34 ruffy's with my .458 - 230gr. Speer swaged, over 18gr. of AL8. They shot to the 'post' of the 2 1/2X scope at 25 yards and would 'hold' about 3" at 100 yards. Being .007" undersize to the grooves didn't matter.

Good stuff, 9.3x57. Sure wish it was legal for us to 'pot' game with a handgun - I've several that would fit the bill nicely. K38, Police Positive .38 (best DA trigger there is), Ruger blackhawk 4 5/8" .357 and, of course, my little M29 4", my favourite since I've had one since 1973 - wore 2 out.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Edited by Daryl_S (26/12/09 03:51 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2754

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com