Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hatari Times Current Issue

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
Altamaha
.333 member

Reged: 29/12/08
Loc: Washington State USA
Hatari Times Current Issue
      #148210 - 17/12/09 02:15 PM

Anyone know what the current US issue number is? The Hatari Times Web Site says no. 20, but the date in Harald Wolf's message about no. 20 is dated in 2005.

My subscription runs through no. 21, but the latest one I received is no. 19 a few years ago.

I have read that Harald Wolf has had a serious injury, I hope he is recovering!

I sent an email to Hatari Times a few minutes ago with the same questions, I hope to have a reply from Hatari Times in a few days.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Hatari Times Current Issue [Re: Altamaha]
      #148234 - 18/12/09 12:42 AM

This is the email I got in September
Quote:

Dear Subscribers

It is quite a long time since I published Hatari Times # 23, and many of you have been wondering what is going on.

Last year, while splitting firewood in the old fashioned way of steel wedge + sledgehammer, a steel chip large like a fingernail but thin as a razor blade, came flying with bullet velocity, went 4" deep into my upper leg muscles, missing the main artery by less than 1/2". - That was my previous year's bad luck, which caused me to miss the late season in Africa.

My spine problem had built-up slowly but continuously over the last 2 years - and was always miss-diagnosed as a muscular problem. I had been in the scanner tube several times over the last 2 years, but they obviously looked for other things, which they could not find. After the long flights back from SCI-Convention in Reno my back and right leg became ever worse. I got injections into my back-strap to no avail and carried on as usual. Built a couple of guns until it became unbearable in late June. Went to see my local doctor on Wednesday, who again said that my main blackstrap muscle causes the pain. Friday morning I collapsed within 5 minutes or so, as I suddenly could not stand - and sitting down was even worse. Just made it from the garden into the house and went flat on the ground, where my wife, who was out shopping, found me a few hours later in an advanced state of shock, just trembling all over due to the horrendous pain. She called emergency ambulance, which had to carry me out through a window. Now, it’s obviously not a good idea to enter any hospital through emergency entrance on a Friday afternoon, particularly not on a very hot summer day when lots of elderly people arrive with breathing/heart problems. I don't recall what they gave me, but sure as hell, it did NOT ease the intense pain. Maybe they were not allowed to give morphine in the emergency rooms (I later got plenty of morphine!). Eventually I was taken through a scanner again, and after a few more hours, me still trembling with pain, a doctor came and told me its a ruptured fiber ring of disc L4/5 pinching the main nerve down the right leg. My wife though I had gone insane by the pain when I told her that this is really good news! Seriously, I said a spine disc problem is every day's routine. Once they manage to ease the pain they will sort out the problem shortly. By that I was only partly right, as they never managed to make me reasonably painless, and after a full week and lots of more scans, neurologist tests and spine injections, they said I had to be transferred to a special clinic in our gun making capital of Liege for specialized surgery. After 9 days of lying like paralyzed (due to really unbearable pain) my strong leg muscles had turned into soft pudding (never thought that this could happen so fast!). Surgery was positive, and a week later I went back home. It took me 6 weeks of daily training to get back on my legs. Now, I am doing a daily walk of 4 miles through the forest in 45 minutes, which is a fairly brisk walk. Alas, my spine is still extremely sensitive to pressure. After standing, walking or worse sitting for 45 to 50 minutes my back feels as if somebody puts a 100 lb bag of cement on my shoulders. The surgeon had warned me that it would take a very long time for the spine to recover completely, and if I try to rush things I would end up again in hospital very soon, with the bitter possibility of quitting my job as a gun maker forever! So, by force majeur, I have to take it easy and slowly. I had built an interesting .600 Nitro bolt-action rifle in spring, plus a beautiful .500 Jeffery and .404 Jeffery in summer. I was just about to start another .500 plus a traditional Mauser/Jeffery trio .404 + .333 + .280 Jeffery + 2 more Newton Arms LeverBolt straight pull rifles when disaster struck me. My legs are fit for elephant hunting again, but I certainly cannot get on a plane or even on a longer vehicle ride for 3 more months. However, I am positive that all will be O.K. by December. I will definitely attend the SCI-Convention in Reno 2010, sharing booth # 129 with my friends from Buffalo Hunters Australia as usual.

Thank you so much for your patience.

Yours Sincerely

Harald Wolf, Publisher & Gun Maker

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Hatari Times Current Issue [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #148261 - 18/12/09 04:28 AM

Jabali,

If you know Harald, maybe you should suggest to him that he should build a pay and participate website for Hatari Times and upload all his old articles on it. This way, he would be able to upload articles one by one and also post his gun builds one after the other without waiting for enough time to gather enough material to bring out a print issue.

It would be easier on his health and it would also be less frustrating for subscribers. I used to be an editor and these days when journalism majors at my university ask me what they should be doing, I gently steer virtually all of them away from print journalism and towards either television or web journalism. Yes, this means that dinosaurs like me are already professionally extinct, but if someone wants to continue to bring out what is arguably the finest African hunting magazine in the world, the web model would be perfect.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Altamaha
.333 member

#148262 - 18/12/09 04:38 AM

So there is a no. 23 out. Looks like I will be ordering back issues.

I think my subscription ended with no. 21.

I like his magazine, nice content.

RE his firewood incident, I live in the Pacific NW where firewood is king, and splitting wood is a summer activity. But, when the splitting wedges get a little mushroomed, it is off the the cutting torch for a "tapered trim" and a bit of time on the grinder to smooth things up. This prevents the flying steel pieces!!!

Here is wishing Harald for a continued recovery. A back problem is devasting for a craftsman than must spend a lot of time standing at the bench and at the machinery, not to mention ruining his hunting trips!

simonsaorsa
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/06
Loc: UK
      #148278 - 18/12/09 07:19 AM

I don't think there is an English language edition beyond 21 - the german language edition is 2 ahead so I guess there must have been 2 early german language only editions before the english version began to be published.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: Hatari Times Current Issue [Re: simonsaorsa]
      #148288 - 18/12/09 11:24 AM

I have them here - English #22 is on Cameroon and English #23 is on Australia....
Am expecting 24 to be the next one but no idea if/when that might be...

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #148707 - 24/12/09 02:42 AM

Dont you go letting Graham take you out nightclubing after the convention.
Your back will never heal.lol
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Re: Hatari Times Current Issue [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #149206 - 01/01/10 02:35 AM

Well - Issue 24 "Special Buffalo Edition" arrived unexpectedly this morning....... I am renewing my subscription!

Scott
.275 member

Reged: 11/01/05
Loc: Florida, USA
      #149224 - 01/01/10 08:54 AM

Ditto, my issue #24 just showed up yesterday Dec 30 , 2009 in Florida.

gatsby
.375 member

Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: inland valley CA USA
Re: Hatari Times Current Issue [Re: Scott]
      #149232 - 01/01/10 10:35 AM

I got mine today.

--------------------
"Recoil is insignificant when there is a tiger on the head of your elephant" The Maharaja of Cooch Behar

simonsaorsa
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/06
Loc: UK
Re: Hatari Times Current Issue [Re: gatsby]
      #149284 - 02/01/10 08:47 AM

mine too. never saw 22 and 23 though. Will ask what happened to my copies .....

Altamaha
.333 member

Re: Hatari Times Current Issue [Re: simonsaorsa]
      #149686 - 07/01/10 03:49 AM

I renewed the subscription, and ordered all back issues avaialble.

So, depending on what back issues are still in stock, I may send out a plea for an old issue or two if anyone has any spares.

It is nice to see that Harald is back at work after his back injury, he has too much talent to be laid up injured!

JabaliHunter
.400 member

#149691 - 07/01/10 04:17 AM

I have a few and am also after a few so PM me when you know what you want. He also sells a CD Rom of earlier back issues...

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #149706 - 07/01/10 05:08 AM

Just got my #24 in the mail today. Not in my name though!?!? I'll have to send Harald an e-mail to clear that up.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4502

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com