Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: The Kudu Thread!

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
The Kudu Thread!
      #148150 - 17/12/09 01:37 AM

Post your photos and stories!

I've had the pleasure to hunt kudu several times now and have shot two bulls and culled some cows. The above photo is my best to date. He is a Limpopo Valley animal that was taken with an arrow from a grass blind at a waterhole. The arrow pierced the heart and passed completely through the bull. He still managed to run 90 yards on no blood. You can see the entry wound ahead of the first stipe. He was fighting with another bull which made for a seemingly long wait to draw and release the arrow. I was shooting a 65 pound Parker bow with Easton Red line arrows decked with Steelforce heads.

He measured 62 inches on the longest horn..

(Image(s) added to NE server)

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 11:05 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: AspenHill]
      #148166 - 17/12/09 05:36 AM

That, dear lady, is the Kudu of a lifetime!

Kalunga
.333 member

Reged: 16/06/06
Loc: Germany
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #148169 - 17/12/09 06:17 AM

Wow, what a great trophy ! A real monarch I would say. Congratulations !

Kalunga

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: Kalunga]
      #148175 - 17/12/09 06:58 AM

I'm not posting anything after seeing that beauty. What a magnificent individual.

AspenHill
Sponsor

Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: tophet1]
      #148180 - 17/12/09 07:35 AM

Oh come on, POST, kudu are special. I am going to put my 50 incher up when I find the pic.

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

AzGuy
.333 member

Reged: 23/03/06
Loc: Prescott, Arizona, USA
      #148192 - 17/12/09 10:45 AM

Ann,

Congrats...that is a wonderfull Kudu!

--------------------
Hike the Grand Canyon, you will never be the same!

gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: AzGuy]
      #148193 - 17/12/09 10:50 AM

I doff`s me lid to you M`aam!

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

BFaucett
.333 member

Reged: 13/01/04
Loc: Houston, Texas
      #148214 - 17/12/09 02:57 PM

I went to South Africa on my first plains game safari in 2000 at the Mabelingwane Game Ranch property of Mabelingwane Safaris. I was primarily after Kudu. The Kudu didn't cooperate on that trip and I didn't get one.

Mabelingwane is a game fenced ranch but the property is about 14,000 acres in size. It's located about 10 miles south of the Limpopo River in the northern part of the Limpopo Province. I hardly ever saw the perimeter fence. The animals had plenty of room to move and hide. There were even about 8 White Rhinos on the property. We saw a couple of them the first day and never saw any Rhinos again. Maybe not true fair chase hunting but close enough for me.

Here's an aerial photo (not taken by me) of the property:

I went back to Mabelingwane in 2002 determined to try again for Kudu. The Kudu just laughed at me as they remained well hidden. I felt I had a Kudu curse.

In 2005, I decided to try once more to take a Kudu at Mabelingwane. I was determined! So, on my first day of hunting, my PH and I built a brush blind (hide) and decided to see if we'd get lucky. After a few hours, three bulls were spotted. Two young ones and one mature bull. These guys circled around our blind for about an hour staying obscured from view in the bush. They knew something was up but couldn't figure it out. Finally, the two young bulls stepped into view to cross a small clearing. Then the mature bull followed them and stepped into the clearing.

He was quartering towards me when he stopped and looked straight at me. I put the cross hairs on his chest and squeezed the trigger. Good hit! He ran about 75 yards and was down and out. Here's the photo of him:

Not a great Kudu but a nice one, IMHO. We didn't measure his horns in the field as I didn't care about the measurements. He was my first Kudu and he was MY Kudu and that was enough for me. I've never had him officially scored.

A few days later, after also taking some other game, we decided to try for Blue Wildebeest. Again, my PH and I built a brush blind around the base of a tree that he thought would be a good spot. We waited and waited. Never saw a dang Wildebeest. As the light was starting to fade for the day, my PH touched my arm and whispered to me to look to my right. I turned my head and saw a magnificent Kudu emerging from the bush with what looked to me to be VERY nice horns! My PH whispered to me, "That's a VERY nice Kudu." I whispered back, "Yeah, I know. I'm going to shoot the sonofabitch!"

I was in a bad position to make a shot. I slowly stood up and leaned over and around my PH (who was sitting to my right) and got my cross hairs on the Kudu. I must have made a noise as the Kudu stopped, looked in my direction, then turned around and started slowly walking back towards the thick bush. I tracked him in the scope. At this point, I was leaning over on one leg while aiming over and around my PH's head and shoulders.

The Kudu walked behind some brush and was obscured from my view. I waited for him to step clear of the brush as he continued walking. A few steps later he was clear and he was now about 145 yards away quartering slightly away from me. I put the cross hairs on him, tracked him in scope as he was still walking, held by breath and squeezed the trigger.

Bang! Good hit! I saw him hunch his back and his tail went straight up and then he ran. He got about 50 yards deeper into the bush and that was it. Kudu number two would soon be in the salt.

Here he is:

My PH did a field measurement with a steel tape and he turned out to be 56 1/2 inches on the longest horn. Needles to say I was thrilled!! I've never had him officially scored. He's mine and I'm very proud of him and to me that's all that really matters.

My PH's dog guarding the Kudu while the PH goes back to get the truck.

On the this hunt, I used a CZ 550 American chambered in 9.3x62 with a Leupold VX-II 1-4x 20mm scope. I left the scope set on 3x the entire time. I used a handload consisting of the 286 gr Woodleigh round nose soft point loaded to an average of 2390 fps muzzle velocity (chronographed). The Woodleigh bullets performed great giving complete penetration on both Kudu (and on a nice Gemsbok and a few Warthogs and Impala).

I now have a sentimental soft spot in my heart for the grand and truly classic 9.3x62 cartridge.

Well, that's my Kudu story......

Cheers!
-Bob F.

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 10:23 PM)

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: BFaucett]
      #148222 - 17/12/09 05:51 PM

Ann,
That truly is an awesome Kudu.
Most 60"er Kudu have big ugly curls, and I just love the full coils of your trophy.

BNagel
.224 member

Reged: 21/03/09
Loc: Clute, Texas
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: ozhunter]
      #149188 - 01/01/10 12:42 AM

Bob

Glad for the story. Don't know if I'll see y'all or Pieter at HSC.

Barry

AspenHill
Sponsor

Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: BNagel]
      #149437 - 04/01/10 12:14 PM

Now c'mon fellas, I know there are more kudu photos and stories to tell!

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #149441 - 04/01/10 01:24 PM

Here is my 1.5 Curl 50" Kudu. First of three Kudu shot on this trip. Exit hole is on the Left shoulder but he only ran 40 metres. Rifle was 25" barrel FN Mauser 98 with Leupold 1-4x20. Similar to BFaucett's combo.

I'm planning to go back in 2014 to hunt a 55" plus if I can find one. I may come back with nothing.

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 10:24 PM)

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: tophet1]
      #149442 - 04/01/10 01:34 PM

Not much to tell - the picture tells the story. Harvested this past September in South Africa with Dithalo Safaris. A hunt and a bull of a lifetime! Christopher

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 10:26 PM)

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: crkennedy1]
      #149447 - 04/01/10 02:22 PM

Oh sure why not!

July 2002 with Tollie's African Safaris taken with a Westley Richard Francotte Martini made especially for a ZAR in 577/450. The Kudu was sneaking away from us and was hit just in front of the left hip. The 480 grain lead bullet went full length of the animal and exit dead center of the right front shoulder. He took two steps and dropped. Tape measure of the bullet entrance to bullet exit was 54 inches!

First reported kudu shot with Triple 7.

He's one of three biggest Kudu in Glacier County, MT. The local Dentist has one and I have another, a two year old taken for bilatong.

To quote BFaucett: "he's...MY Kudu"

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 10:27 PM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: DoubleD]
      #149527 - 05/01/10 11:32 PM

Here's mine from last October in Otterskloopf in SA, link again I'm sorry, someone will have to show me how to put the pic direct on the page !! I don't know what he measures, he's not in my house in Spain yet but I'll check when he gets here, best, Mike

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd31/mlb6363/Africa%202009/kudu.jpg

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 10:29 PM)

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #149534 - 06/01/10 01:20 AM

Quote:

Here's mine from last October in Otterskloopf in SA, link again I'm sorry, someone will have to show me how to put the pic direct on the page !! I don't know what he measures, he's not in my house in Spain yet but I'll check when he gets here, best, Mike

here you go mike next time put the adress that you posted between this [image]***[/image]

best

peter

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 10:30 PM)

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: peter]
      #149536 - 06/01/10 01:33 AM

It was in Namibia back in uhm 95 I guess - anyway - The day was closing in and we were on our way back to the vehicle with a brief stop and look over the water hole upon our way. Approaching approximately 400 yards away from the water hole, we spotted two kudu bulls that were hanging around. A brief glimpse through the binoculars discovered young bulls with horns going into their second turn. I was still busy observing the youngsters when I felt a hasty pulls on my right hand. It was a tracker that was anxiously showing me something between the bushes some 50 yards to the left of the bulls. I raised my binos just to uncover (IMO) another rather average horned kudu bull. Tracker was amased by the bull`s appearance (not me at the moment). Since it was my first day hunting I unwillingly agreed to give it a try (expecting that something would come in between) in the meantime bull headed away behind the shallow ridge so we did not see him anymore. With last sunbeams behind our backs, we slipped between bushes and carefully approached the ridge. When we peeked over, at the first glimpse there was nothing in the valley below that would catch our eye. But there on the darkening horizon some 250 yds away, one couldn hardly separate the majestic contour of the gray ghost in the jess - standing broadside with head turned our way he sure knew we were there. The moment of truth came faster then expected and there was not time for any excuse left. Tracker offered me a shoulder and corked his ears Sauer 202 in 7mm rem. Mag. topped with Schmidt & Bender 3-12x56 set to 6 x - 4A was put high on the shoulder it looked awfully far and I let RWS TIG a go. At the bang the bull disappeared and all I saw was tracker departing in fast run over to the fallen bull. That looked quite strange to me since I was accustomed to wait at least 5 minutes before approaching the downed animal. When tracker saw that I am not following he yelled at me to come over as fast as I can. So I did. Later he told me that he saw a bull went down indicating a high shot and that he was worried about shot being too high (grazed the spine - client lost one that way a month prior my hunt). When we arrived to the downed animal it was hit just where the aim was - still alive tho so I put another one in his neck. It turned out it was a great old one and I am quite happy with it.

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 10:32 PM)

AspenHill
Sponsor

Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: 93mouse]
      #149546 - 06/01/10 03:55 AM

Very nice, guys, keep on posting. I found a picture of my first African animal, a kudu, in Namibia. Here he is with the guys I was hunting with.

Side view

I shot him as he was running below us, we were positioned high on a boulder strewn kopje. It was very hot that day, well over 40C and right around 1300 hours.

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 10:32 PM)

Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
      #149626 - 06/01/10 04:35 PM

Great Kudu there ladies and gents,

Looks like I will be rationing the rum this year to save for a PG hunt in 2011.

Regards,

MOG

Maddog
.224 member

Reged: 15/06/05
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: Cinghiale]
      #150898 - 17/01/10 04:46 AM

Well, Ann none of these are as big as yours posted at the beginning of the thread. These were all taken in July of 2008, while hunting in the Limpopo with www.cruisersafaris.com/

My bull, taken with the .45-70 guide gun

My son's bull taken with a NEF Handi rifle, .30-06

My buddy Doc with his kudu. Taken with Marlin leveraction .308MX.

Doc's son with his ph, Hans. Taken with a .338 WM.

Maddog

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 11:01 PM)

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #150903 - 17/01/10 05:08 AM

that is one of the most beautiful Kudu I have ever seen...congrats...

Truly a kudu of a lifetime...

This is the first one I ever shot in Africa--used my 300 Ultra--we were driving out looking for buffalo when he stepped out with 2 others--he was the biggest of the three--was only 52 1/2 --but for the first I was happy...

Ripp

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 10:58 PM)

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: Ripp]
      #150933 - 17/01/10 10:31 AM

Hi Ripp,

Quote:

"but for the first I was happy"

I would have never guessed..... He is really nice, I hope one day to have one just like it.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #153728 - 15/02/10 04:31 AM

I can't see you!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: NitroX]
      #153730 - 15/02/10 04:41 AM

A cow.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ducota
.275 member

Reged: 27/04/07
Loc: Portugal
      #157034 - 21/03/10 10:20 AM

RSA, Aug 2004

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 10:56 PM)

ducota
.275 member

Reged: 27/04/07
Loc: Portugal
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: ducota]
      #157035 - 21/03/10 10:27 AM

Moz, Aug 2005

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 10:54 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#157047 - 21/03/10 01:41 PM

Very nice.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
      #157050 - 21/03/10 05:05 PM

aka the "before" moment. 52inches???

Schauckis
.300 member

Reged: 17/07/07
Loc: Finland
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: kamilaroi]
      #157085 - 22/03/10 04:08 AM

It is, indeed, hard to better Kathi's photo (or animal!), but here goes.
Zim September 2009, Kwe-Kwe area, Ingwe Safaris, PH Shaun Catton.
Winchester Featherweight .30-06, Speer Grand Slam 180grs.
It seems I'm completely blind to kudu - I dare not tell you how many situations I cocked up despite Shaun and Ben the tracker's good efforts. This one we spotted shading under a tree when we actually already were in the Landy on our way to have lunch. So Shaun pulled over and whispered the instructions to me. We crouched along the road close to the kudu, Shaun took one last look and up the sticks went! The distance could not have been more than 20 metres and I squeezed the shot off. The kudu jumped in the air as if bolted by a lightning under his belly, then bolted again turning 180 degress and took off. I reloaded but didn't get another one off. We run after him, but lost him in the thicket. At this point Shaun uttered the words the client does not want to hear: "I'll go get my gun." So Ben and I followed the track. I'm actually very proud that it was me who spotted the smallest drop of blood. We came across the road, and spotted him under a tree - stone dead. He had run maybe 150 metres or so. The shot was good, lowish, but through the heart and lungs nevertheless.
Beautiful it is.... And for this one, too, we certainly had worked (read: "walked") our asses off!

- Lars/Finland

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 10:55 PM)

BigUglyMan
.224 member

Reged: 16/12/07
Loc: Aklavik, NT
      #157090 - 22/03/10 05:12 AM

Small as he is, he's my first kudu and still has a place of honour on the wall.

--------------------
An elephant is an awesome amount of death.

The Most Northern Member - Double Rifle Shooters Society

chemarq
.275 member

Reged: 17/03/10
Loc: Spain
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: BigUglyMan]
      #158205 - 04/04/10 09:15 PM

Here is mine... an old bull, 50 inches long...

Not a monster, but a fantastic stalk climbing the mountain in silence... and a good shoot in the chest with 375 H&H. One of the best rememberings of my last Safari in Kimberley (RSA).

JM

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 10:47 PM)

GroovyMike
.300 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: NY
      #164817 - 24/07/10 12:29 AM

GREAT Bulls above! Wow!

Here's my kudu story. My first trip to Africa and my first African game.

Africa at Last!

14 hours from JFK we changed planes in Johannesburg for the 1 ½ hour flight to Windhoek, we arrived when the world was asleep and the airport personnel were literally waiting for us to clear customs so they could lock up and go home. The Namibian police representative was very polite and professional, diligent in his duty and in filing out the triple copy carbon paper form that was our permit to have a firearm in the country. Desk jockey by training, I dotted all I's and crossed T's but my brother in law (John) had to be literally chased as we were leaving because he forgot to sign the bottom line.

Our PH Siegfried (Ziggy) met us at the gate with his 13 year old son Erwin who proved to have the most amazing eyes for spotting game in the bush that I have ever seen. These two would be our near constant companions when afield for the next 10 days. We loaded into Ziggy's van for a short drive over paved roads on the outskirts of the capital city until arriving at the Safari Hotel. I was beat but the consensus was for a drink before retiring for bed and that pattern would also serve us in good stead for the remaining 10 days. I balked a bit at the $8 price of an Amarula cream (made from the fruit of the Marula tree to develop a sweet fruity cream liquor similar to Bailey’s Irish Cream). But then I realized that the price was in Namibian dollars - that made it only about 80 cents US.

The room was on par with US motels, except that the television and radio played in Afrikaans. There was neither enough English in the language, or enough memory of my German class to let me follow a story line, so after a call home and a shower, the night passed without incident. Breakfast was an elaborate all you could eat buffet that we made good use of before setting out for the long drive to Ziggy's ranch and home. En route we picked up provisions for the week at the local butcher and grocer.

The very first evening after sighting in we saw an enormous kudu and a pair of oryx gazelle racing away from us and much more of the same for the next two days. Three days into the ten day hunt I had not had a shot opportunity. The game was skittish due to unusually windy conditions. They were staying under cover and were very nervous because the wind kept setting off the kudu's defense system, those big mule deer like ears were never quite sure if the unknown sound was a leopard creeping up to take them down, or just the rustle of grass in the wind.... So they ran at the first hint of danger.

Monday we rounded a thick patch of brush while driving up a dry river bed. My rifle was in my hands a when a huge bull, a real monster with three full twists and out turned ivory horn tips was suddenly at our elbow. He was maybe 40 yards away, at eye level as I sat on the back of the moving truck. Ziggy stopped the truck, but we had already gone past. I turned in my seat twisting to face what had been over my left shoulder. The kudu was frozen in an instant of time while I brought the rifle to my shoulder and the scope to play. At least I thought he was. In reality, he was already moving, sinking into a crouch from which he would bound away into the thorns. I saw his body in the scope, and swung over his flank and back toward his shoulder.

Suddenly, I couldn't see him. His entire heart/shoulder area was covered by a tree 20 inches in diameter. I debated a neck shot in the fraction of an instant when I saw him start to move. When he stepped forward, his chest would be clear. My finger tightened on the trigger. He threw his head away from me and leapt 20 feet straight away. I fired the 30-06 and I thought the shot was good. Time began to run at full speed again and the bull crashed away out of sight in the brush.

We climbed off the truck and began to track. I could not believe that we didn't see blood. 30 minutes later, I STILL couldn't believe that we couldn't see blood! I quit following the bull's tracks and returned to the river's edge. The tracking had been for nothing. The evidence was plain. A thumb sized branch at the height of the bull's shoulder was shot clean off. Ity had been between us. A tree that had been behind the bull was fully penetrated a foot higher. Somehow, the intervening stick had deflected my shot (already a bit high) too high. And the bull had escaped unscathed. We saw him again a week later and my brother in law, nearly ... very nearly had a shot at him. But that night as John crept toward the kudu an unseen Steinbok bolted and the old bull wheeled and raced away without knowing what danger was near, but I suppose that is what keeps him alive today....

The next morning after my missed shot (I still find it hard to believe) - we decided to let the area we had been hunting hard for 3 days, cool off and drove 26 km to a farm owned by Louis Anderson. Mr. Anderson owns a successful trucking company in Namibia. He graciously allowed us to hunt on his property in exchange for a share of the PH's trophy fee and for the meat from any game collected. Considering that we couldn't import the meat home into the US anyway, it is not a bad deal for trophy hunters.

It was cool for Namibia when we left the house at 6 AM and bundled into the back of the truck. I had brought a light jacket for just such a morning, but by the time we reached Mr. Anderson's property riding in the open back of the truck, I wondered why I hadn't brought a full parka!

Turning onto the private lane. Ziggy stopped the truck and told me to load the rifle - just in case. We had driven perhaps half the 8 km from the public highway to the ranch house (Mr. Anderson owns some 15,000 acres on THIS ranch) when Ziggy's 13 year old son Erwin true to form, called out "Kudu!” with outstretched arm pointing to the left of the lane. I have no idea how he saw them with the naked eye from a moving truck, but eventually I found them in the scope. A PAIR of old bulls at 150 yards and slipping away beyond a screen of thorn brush!

This time I had the Winchester model 70 topped with a Leupold 3-9x scope (on 3x power). The chamber was filled with my hand loaded 300 grain Swift A-frame projectiles over 67.9 grains of Alliant's Reloader 15 powder in a 375 H&H Federal classic case.

The bulls slipped away at a trot. Ziggy spun the truck to the next opening in the brush and in a moment I saw a bull!

200 yards away a bull passed in and out of sight in the 7 foot high thorn brush. Almost without realizing it I said out loud "I can't get a clear shot!" Erwin stepped close behind me, checked the angle my rifle was pointing and pointed with his open hand ten degrees to the right of my aim. In his Afrikaner accent the boy said "He is there!" And he was!

The second bull, unseen by me was moving away at 250 yards. His front shoulders higher than his haunches gave him the appearance of walking away up hill. From this angle I could put a bullet into the back of his ribs, through his lungs and into the off shoulder. I squeezed the trigger.

I left the empty cartridge case in the chamber until my feet hit the ground. I then cycled the action, putting a live cartridge in the chamber and without realizing it, pocketed the empty as I set off behind Ziggy into the bush. He had been unable to see the bull when I fired so was unsure of the exact location. But Erwin had seen and raced ahead. He passed me about 200 yards from the truck, turned and smiled pointing with outstretched arm "There he lies." Coming up to him I could see the bull 50 yards beyond us. He lay on his chest where he had dropped with a clipped spine, perforated lungs, and a 300 grain bullet lodged in his shoulder. Stepping close I shot him behind the near shoulder, unloaded the rifle and leaned it against a bush, then took hold of the bull's massive horns and raised his nose from the dust it had furrowed when he fell. I held his head as he breathed his last. There was no fear in him. He was king here, and he was king as his breathing slowed, his heart stopped, and his eyes saw his kingdom no more.

Afterwards:

Ziggy said that he was an old bull well past his prime. The reference books tell me that a very old kudu may live to be 14. Ziggy said that this bull was at least 10 years old. He had begun to drop weight and his horn ridges had been worn smooth by a lifetime of breaking thorny branches to bring tender leaves within reach to browse.

We loaded the bull on the truck and delivered him to the butchering shed at Anderson's. In two hours the skin and horns were packed, the meat hanging in a screened shed as quarters and ribs, the internal organs stripped, cleaned and divided by the staff for their evening meal, and the floor of the shed washed clean.

My kudu's horns measure 52 inches on one side and 54 on the other around the curl. They tell me that it qualifies him for SCI record book, but that doesn't matter. He is my first African animal and a truly worthy trophy to remember.

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 10:41 PM)

HuntingSchneider
.333 member

Reged: 02/04/06
Loc: Tamworth, NSW
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: GroovyMike]
      #164838 - 24/07/10 05:19 AM

Not as impressive as some of those above. But I don't care....because he's mine.

Caught this guy having a scratch near Grahamstown. SA.

Then he saw/smelt me

(Image(s) added to NE server) REDO

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 11:50 PM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: HuntingSchneider]
      #164897 - 24/07/10 06:44 PM

not as pretty as those of you chaps but I was running out of time. The nice bit is that my PH was off checking for buff tracks so I went for a stroll and glassed him at a waterhole so it gave me a bit of pleasure, best, Mike

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 10:37 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #164902 - 24/07/10 07:09 PM

Gentlemen,

Some great kudu photos.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #166043 - 11/08/10 04:19 AM

Bait shot today.

Ndumo
.300 member

Reged: 21/12/03
Loc: Namibia
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: ozhunter]
      #166057 - 11/08/10 05:20 PM

Here's some Namibian kudu, all in the way over 50inch class, except my son's one, and the live one.

Edited by NitroX (13/09/10 11:27 PM)

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: Ndumo]
      #166088 - 11/08/10 10:38 PM

They are some beautiful Kudu Karl.
I hope some of them were taken with the 8x68s !!.

This was the best Kudu I saw for my 10 day's in Zim.

Cheers Neale.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

GroovyMike
.300 member

Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: FATBOY404]
      #166090 - 11/08/10 11:26 PM

Man this thread makes me want to go back!

--------------------
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: GroovyMike]
      #167756 - 14/09/10 08:51 PM

Kudu photo sent to me by our member 'larcher'.

Estimated to be 69 inches!

--------------------
John aka NitroX

AspenHill
Sponsor

#167763 - 15/09/10 12:06 AM

Now that one gives special meaning to 'spiral horn'!

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

crkennedy1
.375 member

#167768 - 15/09/10 02:03 AM

I saw the monster above on Facebook - magnificent! Here's my tropy and the field shot - taken September 2009. Cheers! Christopher

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

Phillip
.300 member

Reged: 31/05/10
Loc: North Carolina
      #167812 - 15/09/10 09:10 PM

Zim,2003...I'm ready to go back..

--------------------
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
      #168526 - 26/09/10 05:34 PM

Here is two more old boys that was shot last week by a Kiwi and Australian clients of ours.

The bull measured just over 54"

This old guy measured 52"

September is a really good month if you are after big kudu bulls when it's very dry they have lost a lot of their body condition but are easier to find and wander much more to find food.

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

SafariHunt
.333 member

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: Pretoria RSA
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: SafariHunt]
      #169758 - 17/10/10 05:24 PM

Another old boy shot last week with a Belgian client who was very lucky to shoot it on his first afternoon of the hunt. It was his first African animal too.

He measured 53"

--------------------
"Sleeping under the African sky I can see nothing wrong with this world!"

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: SafariHunt]
      #169775 - 18/10/10 12:28 AM

Superb bulls, there.

nitro450exp
.333 member

Reged: 06/09/07
Loc: Michigan, USA
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: Ben]
      #186683 - 28/07/11 01:43 AM

Hello

My first Kudu bull.
50 1/4" longest horn.
RSA near Thabazimbi
160 M uphill with a South African Vektor in 300 H&H

Thanks
Nitro

--------------------
"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall

45/70 DR / 12ga Paradox
470 NE DR
12 Bore DR
20 Bore DR
450 NE SR
577 NE SR

messmate
.224 member

Reged: 27/07/10
Loc: Great Divide. Victoria. Austra...
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: nitro450exp]
      #188319 - 23/08/11 01:09 AM

Heres my Kudu taken with Limcroma Safaris, Limpopo in June 2010.
He went 58 3/8ths.

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: messmate]
      #188344 - 23/08/11 06:58 AM

Another great trophy mate.

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

GroovyMike
.300 member

Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: FATBOY404]
      #188392 - 24/08/11 12:54 AM

Great bulls!

--------------------
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4

HogPilot
.300 member

Reged: 26/05/09
Loc: Texas
      #190376 - 21/09/11 02:55 PM

Father and son again. Enjoy!

messmate
.224 member

Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: HogPilot]
      #190402 - 21/09/11 10:59 PM

Real nice Kudu's...that young fella looks pretty chuffed too..good job getting him to Africa.

AspenHill
Sponsor

#190608 - 24/09/11 09:54 AM

Love to see family hunts!

--------------------
~Ann

Aspen Hill Adventures

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #190646 - 25/09/11 12:20 AM

This is the only greater kudu bull I have ever seen in the wild. It was taken in Tanzania in the Selous. The East African kudu is rarer than its South African counterpart.

We were out at "crow pee", as usual, driving along a typical trail in fairly heavy brush, when we came to a clearing on the left. In the clearing was a herd of kudu cows and this bull. The PH stopped the vehicle, I piled out of the left side, was handed my Krieghoff .375 H&H double rifle from the rear, and the vehicle moved on.

The herd of cows had moved toward the tree line on the opposite side of the clearing, some 175 yards away, with the bull bringing up the rear. I followed him in my 3X scope until he reashed the edge of the clearing and paused to look back, quartering away from left to right. At that point, I let off the shot.

He took a tremendous bound into the brush and piled up on the ground. The 300 grain Silvertip had taken out heart and lungs and the off shoulder.

It was a shot I will never forget.

messmate
.224 member

Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: xausa]
      #190803 - 26/09/11 11:02 PM

Very nice curl and good tops...gotta love the kudu.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #191122 - 01/10/11 11:59 AM

This is my Kudu taken in the Eastern Cape in August 2011 and although only 110" S.C.I.it is above average for this area.

Cheers for now,

Jeff Gray

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
      #192006 - 17/10/11 01:08 PM

In 2009 we took our two children with us on our fourth trip to Africa, and I finally had the opportunity to take a nice Kudu. It was a sunny but very cold morning in the Natal province, and one shot from my .375 put him down not 20 meters from where he had stood.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: Cazadero]
      #193742 - 14/11/11 02:28 AM

My one and only kudu. From 1994 in Zimbabwe.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Rell
.375 member

Reged: 03/12/04
Loc: Oyster Bay, NY, USA
      #239529 - 19/12/13 03:12 PM

A couple from 2011 and 2013 in the Eastern Cape. I would have sworn I was elk hunting in New Mexico. A little slice of heaven.

Edited by Rell (19/12/13 03:16 PM)

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: Rell]
      #239532 - 19/12/13 03:30 PM

Sengwe Oct 2013

Claydog
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/12
Loc: Katherine, Northern Territory ...
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: Claydog]
      #239534 - 19/12/13 03:44 PM

Photo from the same hunt above. There is a one horned bull second from left I really wanted as his single horn looked beautiful and I like different trophies. Alas it was not to be and I got the one above.

rigbymauser
.400 member

Reged: 15/05/05
Loc: Denmark
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: Claydog]
      #239589 - 20/12/13 09:10 AM

Done with a .333 jeffery and a loooooong crawl through the bushes...

Fjold
.275 member

Reged: 28/06/11
Loc: Bakersfield, CA, USA
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: rigbymauser]
      #241588 - 02/02/14 08:48 AM

My Namibian taken in 2008, Jump shot him at 80 yards with my 375 H&H.

--------------------
Frank

FOsteology
.224 member

Reged: 27/07/04
Loc: Hondo, Texas
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: Fjold]
      #244083 - 21/03/14 08:39 AM

Oldest son shot this one in Namibia

Youngest son shot this one in the Eastern Cape RSA

UmshwatiBoy
.224 member

Reged: 07/10/14
Loc: South Africa
Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: FOsteology]
      #254948 - 10/10/14 12:06 AM

Some fantastic Bulls on here. Hunted this bull in Limpopo late August 2012, after a dry Winter, so it dressed out at only 120kg. Longest horn measured 52.5", my biggest to date. Used my Blaser R93 Safari 375H&H, with 250gr Barnes TTSX Bullets.

--------------------
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact."

crkennedy1
.375 member

Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: UmshwatiBoy]
      #254954 - 10/10/14 12:37 AM

Nice bull Deon - welcome to the club!

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

UmshwatiBoy
.224 member

Reged: 07/10/14
Loc: South Africa
      #254955 - 10/10/14 12:47 AM

Shot this Bull at last light two years earlier on a cattle farm in the Dundee District of KZN. Used my Blaser R93 in 270 Win with 160gr Nosler Partition.

--------------------
"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers. It is difficult to exaggerate the importance of this fact."

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: The Kudu Thread! [Re: UmshwatiBoy]
      #254978 - 10/10/14 06:50 PM

Lots of great kudus added since I last visited the thread. Good work. I reckon if I got back, a second kudu will be on the list looked for.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

470Nitro
.333 member

Reged: 17/09/03
Loc: Madrid - Spain
      #254979 - 10/10/14 06:57 PM

Tanzania, early 90's

Zimbabwe, late 90's

I'va some more, but the 2 first are always the most remembered .

--------------------
-----
down by the river on a friday night
pyramid of cans in the pale moonlight
talkin' 'bout guns and dreamin 'bout women
never had a plan just a livin' for the minute

Cazadero
.375 member

Reged: 17/10/11
      #269224 - 13/08/15 12:08 PM

My Kudu from 2007.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 46454

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com