Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hornady's new ammo line

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Hornady's new ammo line
      #146956 - 30/11/09 05:50 AM

An FYI...

Just read an article in the new issue of RIFLESHOOTER that Hornady is out with a new powder being used in their new ammo line, called SUPERPERFORMANCE--the ammo line allows for very similar ballistics out of standard calibers from a 22 inch barrel versus a 24"--per their report, with the new powder being used, they were only losing on average, 18fps per inch cut off of the barrel..I am sure this is a bit self serving as Hornady is promoting shorter barrels in some of their rifles...

The chronographed tests in the article showed 165 gr GMX(their new copper bullet) out of a 30-06 --22" barrel--traveling at 2854 with a SD of 6.6.

In the 270 Win-with a 24" barrel--130 gr GMX bullet--velocity was 3148 fps with a SD of 7.0--

Even more interesting however was the new powder used showed very little fluctuation in temperature changes..they were tested from -15F to 140F---per the article, very insignificant changes in POI as the temps were changed in the testing...

Article also stated Hornady was discontinuing the magnum and light magnum lines as the process was too expensive...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Hornady's new ammo line [Re: Ripp]
      #146957 - 30/11/09 05:58 AM

Sounds like they are catching up with ADI at last !!!
(ADI here in Aust make alot of the powder for the US Market).

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Hornady's new ammo line [Re: 500Nitro]
      #146986 - 01/12/09 01:04 AM

Agree and its good to see this available..

Would like them to continue their magnum line however as in the bigger calibers..thought it was a good option for those that do on handload...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

sambar1
.224 member

Reged: 27/11/09
Loc: north east victoria
Re: Hornady's new ammo line [Re: Ripp]
      #148051 - 15/12/09 09:21 PM

sounds like the same powder hornady are using in the rcm.338 they recon there getting the same fps out of a 20 inch bll what a 338 win magnum can give out of a 24 in bbl,,was looking at getting one for dogging sambar but the price of factory ammo puts me of a bit.the ruger RCM is a nice compact rifle though.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Hornady's new ammo line [Re: sambar1]
      #148061 - 16/12/09 02:53 AM

500 Nitro - re: ADI powders. We've been using the ADI powders, listed as Hodgdon 'Extreme' for some time now. Nothing new there. It sounds as if there is a newer powder yet, however they may be finding the short fat cases don't lose as much velocity per inch as longer cases in the same performance range, thus are using this fact to normal advertizing advantage for something calimed as new.

Hornady may be talking about some new VVN powders - similar to those being used in the Light and Heavy magnum loads.

In the past Hornady has mostly been above board with this sort of stuff, bring out new stuff, like tube magazine pointed bulelts & they might just be on to something with a new powder - maybe not. Before passing judgment, I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt.

For years, they supplied bullets for my .17, when no one else would make them. They even brought out a new weight after my pestering them for a year, then wrote me personally with "your bullet dream has come true - thankyou". I didn't expect that. I like their dies, I like their bullets, I like their personal 'touch'. I like to see them succeed.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3775

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com