Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Ventometer???

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Metalguy
.300 member

Reged: 25/10/09
Loc: Northern WY
Ventometer???
      #147734 - 12/12/09 03:56 PM

I posted this here if anyone is interested. I found an old W.J. Jeffrey ventometer on e-bay. It still has four days left as of now. Item number is : 290379650574. I had to look up what it was, but I thought someone might want it. Ta Ta!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Ventometer??? [Re: Metalguy]
      #147796 - 13/12/09 06:49 AM

In my HVACR efforts, I often use a tool commonly called an anemometer.
The anemometer is an instrument used to measure wind speed. I have a small pocket-sized version which also has other weather station features that I've used while doing load development and shooting exercises.
I own a couple older versions of said tooling which are marked ventometer.

Evidently, this Jeffrey tool is a wind(-age..?) measurement device.
Expecting to see more pieces of the tool, I did a book search for proper vintage text.

I found this image of a similar device in Sharpshooting for sport and war
By William Wellington Greener...

Also, in A dictionary of military terms
By Edward Samuel Farrow
I found this definition...
"Ventometer.—An instrument used for marking on the sliding bar the allowance to be made for wind. It is worked by a screw in 1/150ths of an inch.

I'll keep digging, but from this much it seems that there might not be anything more to the tool than what we see there.
I'd very much like to see the directions for use!
Perhaps a patent search is in order!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

tinker
.416 member

Re: Ventometer??? [Re: tinker]
      #147798 - 13/12/09 07:07 AM

Here we go-

Definitely room for vernacular there.
It's a windage adjustment tool.

From The book of the rifle
By Thomas Francis Fremantle

There are small instruments commonly known as ventometers (fig. 79) (a misleading name, as they do not in any sense measure the wind, but only assist in applying a correction for it), which are used to mark the wind line accurately on the straight bar. These are of various patterns, but all depend upon the same principle. They are placed transversely to the back sight, and bearing upon the outside of the uprights. By moving a screw, a small, sliding square is brought either to the centre of the bar, or to any other point, and enables a line to be marked in precisely the right place, the distance being measured by a little scale, similar to that of the vernier, and giving similar divisions of f^ of an inch. These are very useful little instruments, and are used by a large number of shooting men. They are sometimes fitted to the elevation vernier itself, as in fig. 80.

My guess is that it's used in conjunction with either other tooling (proper anemometer) or by comparison of sighting shots.
Patent searches will likely tell the rest of the story.
Cool tool!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

tinker
.416 member

Re: Ventometer??? [Re: tinker]
      #147924 - 14/12/09 10:59 AM

While digging for more on this, I found a product description from the Fine Sporting Collectibles website for a stock item they had but has been sold.

" A nickel silver ventometer for making small alterations to the back sight of a rifle. Made by W.J. Jeffery & Co. London and were used with the Martin Henry and Lee Metford and Lee Enfield. "

Haven't found the orig patent documents yet, maybe later.
At this point my curiosity has been satisfied!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 37 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3922

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com