Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New Merkel question

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
bonanza50
.224 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: South Carolina, USA
New Merkel question
      #14788 - 14/05/04 11:56 PM

I just picked up my new merkel DR and am confused by the test target. The "raster" is 1 cm but the two shots are at the bottom of the (funny looking) target in a small 1.5 cm square. Is that the point of aim or is it shooting low?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: New Merkel question [Re: bonanza50]
      #14793 - 15/05/04 04:18 AM

The test target that comes with a Merkel double rifle is simply an example of the REGULATION, not elevation, or windage. There are two shots, one from the right barrel, and one from the left barrel, at the range where the rifle was regulated. If it is shooting low,that will be determened on the range, and if so, a simple fix is the take down the top of the front sight blade some, but be very careful, a little goes a long way. The holes, one in relation to the other is what is important!

If you have the patridge front blade, and square slot rear blade,which is what most Merkels come with, then try takeing a deep hold, or top of the rear blade hold, and see which is closer to POA, on the traget @ regulation distance.

You are most likely already aware of this, but if this is your first double rifle, then there are some real rules on how to rest your double, that are quite different from a single barrel rifle! First the rifle MUST NOT touch anything but your hands, shoulder, and face when being fired! The rifle must be allowed to recoil as it would if you were shooting off hand. You can place a sand bag under your hand on the foreend, but do not rest the rifle dirrectly on a sandbag. The butt should touch nothing but your shoulder. If the rifle touches anything else it will change the way the rifle recoils, and adversly effect the regulation.

What caliber is your rifle?

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

bonanza50
.224 member

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: South Carolina, USA
Re: New Merkel question [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #14796 - 15/05/04 05:01 AM

Thanks for the advise. This is my first double - 375 H&H.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1982

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com