Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Leupold purchases Redfield--new line of scopes

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Leupold purchases Redfield--new line of scopes
      #147375 - 07/12/09 12:24 PM

Got an email earlier today on this--probably old news as this occured some time ago--but apparenlty based on the info on the newsletter --and info below, they plan to market Redfield again in a serious way..I remember when they used to be a pretty good scope in the "old" days..curious to see what the new ones will be

Ripp

http://leupold.us1.list-manage.com/track...mp;e=53ab3502ac

Based in Oregon, the original home of founder John C. Redfield, we've rededicated ourselves to his vision: no-nonsense optics for everyone. Focused on that goal, we've made top-notch optical equipment accessible to every American hunter. With Redfield, outdoorsmen across this great land can fill their tag without breaking the bank.

Redfield respresents the millions of American hunters who make this sport great. Those who scout, set up blinds, and wake long before dawn. Redfield optics are for people serious about their hunts, because we're seious about our hunting too. Whether you're after a trophy buck or a full freezer, Redfield optics get the job done, season after season.

The Redfield Gun Sight Company was founded in 1909 by John Hill Redfield. The company designed and manufactured quality equipment that hunters and shooters trusted for accurate, rugged and reliable sighting. The company's product line grew over the years from the original innovative line of open sites to include riflescopes, mounts and eventually binoculars and spotting scopes. In 1998 Redfield closed its doors in Denver, Colorado marking the end of an era but leaving behind an undeniable legacy of manufacturing quality products for the American Sportsman. The Redfield name changed hands several times over the next ten years but never realized its potential to once again become a prominent brand among outdoor enthusiasts.

In April of 2008 Leupold & Stevens, Inc. purchased the brand name Redfield and all the intellectual property associated with Redfield Optics. Leupold & Stevens, Inc. is a market leading American-owned and operated optics company. Friedrich Leupold founded the company in 1907 in Portland, Oregon just a few short miles from its current location in Beaverton, Oregon. Now in its fifth generation, the family owned company employs over 650 people at its state-of-the-art facility where it designs, manufactures and assembles its famous line of "Golden Ring" sports optics. Leupold products are sold worldwide to hunters, wildlife observers, competitive shooters, law enforcement officers and special operations military personnel. The product line includes rifle, handgun and spotting scopes; binoculars; rangefinders; flashlights; mounting systems; and optical tools and accessories.

Warranty Information
When Leupold purchased Redfield in April, 2008, Leupold did not assume the Redfield warranty. Because many Redfield customers have contacted Leupold with regard to the former Redfield warranty, Leupold is making this information available to Redfield optics owners.

At this time, two Redfield repair facilities are available should your Redfield product require service: ABO USA Inc (305-859-2010) and Iron Sight Inc (918-445-2001). The contacts provided are for information purposes only, as ABO Inc. and Iron Sight Inc. are not affiliated with Leupold & Stevens. Please contact them for all information regarding repair, service, and associated charges.
From design to assembly to final testing, more than 600 people are at the heart of our plant near Beaverton, Oregon. With countless years of experience, these men and women instill Redfield with passion, pride, and hard work.

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Leupold purchases Redfield--new line of scopes [Re: Ripp]
      #147376 - 07/12/09 12:32 PM

Interesting piece.

I'd rather see them keep their dough and reinvest it in their own company.

What can a resurrected "Redfield" do for us that Leupold can't unless Leupold merely wants a name to use to sell low-end junk?

I like Leupold scopes, and am afraid that this will be a millstone around Leupold's neck, doing nothing good for "Redfield" and hurting a great company like Leupold.

Let Redfield wither. I'd rather see Burris resurrected. For years they made the best value in scopes IMO, that is until they ceased circling the drain and finally just slipped down the pipe.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Leupold purchases Redfield--new line of scopes [Re: 9.3x57]
      #147379 - 07/12/09 01:42 PM

Agree---don't really see this making much of a splash..Leupold already has the VX 1 and 2 series along with some even less expensive brands..NOT sure what their thinking on this can be--BUT, so it goes..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Leupold purchases Redfield--new line of scopes [Re: Ripp]
      #147382 - 07/12/09 01:45 PM

Quote:

Leupold already has the VX 1 and 2 series along with some even less expensive brands.

Exactly.

I hope they don't sink their own ship taking on castaways...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
Re: Leupold purchases Redfield--new line of scopes [Re: 9.3x57]
      #147396 - 07/12/09 09:36 PM

buying cheap chinese scopes and rebadging them as redfields perhaps ?

peter

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Leupold purchases Redfield--new line of scopes [Re: peter]
      #147398 - 07/12/09 10:47 PM

You guys made some good points. I think the only marketing angle here is in targeting the "older" hunter who has memories of hunts back in the day using a Redfield scope. They're buying back brand loyalists. There have been persistant rumors about declining quality in Leupold scopes and there are many people out the who want to purchase inexpensive and dependable optics, but who don't want the Leupold name. I've had Leupold VX-IIIs on everything from a .270 Weatherby to a .460 Weatherby and have never had a problem. Some people simply prefer the underdog. The other possible business rationale is that Leopold wanted the buildings, land, and equipment for their own use and plan on spinning off Redfield at some later time, or they just bought it a good price and plan on selling all of the pieces.

Maybe we'll see the resurrection of Balvar, Stithe, Lyman, Western Field, and Unertl!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2945

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com