Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: CZ 550 Project Begins

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
CZ 550 Project Begins
      #146865 - 28/11/09 02:41 PM

In mid November I asked the forum members for their suggestions as to the best barrel length for a CZ550 in .375 H&H. As could be expected the ideas were varied that went from the Errol Flynn's saying “Touch not, Stuff not” down to 19” but the general consensus was 24” or close to that. For all the members that have tried to help, I thank you all.

Well, the project has now started in earnest with the purchase of a second hand CZ550 in the desired .375 H&H from a forum member, FATBOY404 which has now given me the basis for the new project, a new CZ was not available from the Australian Agents who gave a very questionable delivery date of their next shipment, so I was left with only one alternative.

I had already purchased an Exhibition blank from Roger Vardy and discussed the style that I preferred (Classis African Style) with Ross Waghorn, both of these gentlemen are well known in the Australian Custom Rifle scene.

I had originally contacted Alex Beer re a full “Woe to Go” Custom Rifle but the turnaround time for a full make was more than I wanted to commit to due to health reasons but when I again spoke to Alex Beer with regards to the metalwork aspect of this project he was able to do everything in a 3-4 month period but considering that he will be “Tooing & Throwing” the rifle to Ross Waghorn for the stock work and then back to Alex for the metalwork finishing I think that it will be closer to 5-6 months but not bad for a complete rebuild.

I have decided based on the advice of the forum members and Alex, to settle on 24” he will remove both of the existing sights, cut the barrel to 24” and re crown along with the removal of the existing rear sight “Lump” and then fit a Custom Quarter Rib with one fixed and 1 folding leaf rear sight with a Recknagel Banded Front sight along with matching Barrel Band.

Alex will also perform a full check over of the action and trigger as although it has been worked on before but not knowing the expertise of the previous person and in light of what 9.3x57 mentioned about the extractor, I will get Alex to check all this out as well.

In addition I have ordered from Graeme Spraggon a Pistol Grip Trap along with a Bullet Trap, Recknagel QD Lever mounts in 30mm and then this will be topped off by a S&B Zenith 1.1-4x24 scope with the FD7 reticule.

On Monday next, the 30th November 2009 the rifle will head from Dubbo to Deloraine in Tasmania for the first part of the transformation from a factory rifle to a Custom Firearm. As most of you know, life can be a true test of one's character and for me, it has been no different. Lets just say that the commencement of this project starts on the day that my marriage becomes final and it should return to me just after my 64th birthday so in someway it is an omen of sorts, a personal birthday gift for all those years of doing without and all of this was not planned in any way.

Cheers from Australia,

Jeff Gray

Index added by NitroX:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=197432&an=&page=0&vc=1
“Father & Son” through the eyes of ‘Les O’Rourke’s camera'

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=146865&an=&page=0&vc=1
CZ 550 Project Begins

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=151868&an=&page=0&vc=1
CZ550 Project Continues. Part 2.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=162608&an=&page=0&vc=1
CZ550 Project Continues. “The Stock” Part 3.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=163084&an=&page=0&vc=1
CZ550 Project Continues "The Engraving" Part 4.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=171461&an=&page=0&vc=1
CZ550 Project Continues. " The Final Chapter " Part 5.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=178548&an=&page=0&vc=1
Safari in Africa for “Father” & “Son” Custom CZ550's

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

Edited by NitroX (22/12/11 02:21 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: CZ 550 Project Begins [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #146871 - 28/11/09 03:43 PM

I wish you the best!!

{I reread that thread and crazy thing for some reason I thought it was a 9.3x62 when I posted my barrel length thoughts. Must have been the beer...?}

My .375 has a 23 inch barrel and handles very well. Your 24 will be nice. Your project sounds like a really enjoyable one.

Have the g-smith spare nothing in the fitting and testing. The CZ's are robust actions and should make for a fine, serviceable rifle. Please post pix of the project along the path.

And the first hunts, naturally!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #146873 - 28/11/09 03:59 PM

Jeff,
This rifle sounds like it is going to be a beaut!
Looks like you have picked the right fellas to do the work as well.
Please keep us informed on the progress.

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: CZ 550 Project Begins [Re: 4seventy]
      #146874 - 28/11/09 04:47 PM

Yes, please keep us informed.

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
      #146892 - 29/11/09 05:13 AM

The building or the comisioning of a build for a "personal" rifle is one of the most thought provoking and rewarding processes. Keep us updated and post pics often.

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

FATBOY404
.400 member

Reged: 14/11/09
Loc: QLD
Re: CZ 550 Project Begins [Re: VonGruff]
      #146915 - 29/11/09 12:09 PM

Hi Jeff
The extractor on that 375 will jump over a round dropped straight into the chamber if it has to . I have done it on two occaisions . It will be interesting to watch this project progress knowing the history of the rifle . Cheers .

--------------------
"WHATEVER BLOWS YOUR HAIR BACK"

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: CZ 550 Project Begins [Re: FATBOY404]
      #146941 - 29/11/09 09:45 PM

Hi to all the Forum members who have replied to this post, your interest and support in this new project of mine is greatly appreciated. In my earlier post, the suggestions made by fellow members was duly noted and although some may have been a little "Left Field" so to speak, you are never to old to learn from those who have already done similar projects before. As an example, I was told about the potential problem of dropping a cartridge onto the magazine slide and then trying to load it without first making sure that it was fully in the magazine, a sound bit of advice but I have to be the first to admit that I was firstly not aware of the potential problem and hence, forgot to ask FATBOY404 if he had tried to replicate this and if there was a problem or not. Then tonight you see by his post that he has accidently done it twice and it was not a problem but I should have known better from some-one who has already hunted Africa.

As Von Gruff said, it is a real thought provoking process and I have already asked both Alex Beer and Ross Wagnorn to Email me pictures as the project proceeds, my only problem will be getting them to appear on the pages of this forum so I may need some guidance and help from other forum members to achieve this.

Well, in another 12 hours it all starts in earnest and I will be at the post office to send the rifle on it's first trip.

Anyway, Cheers for now,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#146943 - 30/11/09 12:51 AM

Jeff:

It is good to stir the pot a bit before the project begins.

During my travails with the CZ, I was told by the tech support people at CZ that "some do, some don't" when it comes to extractors snapping over the rim of a round dropped directly into the chamber. I was told the guns are like original 98 Mausers and NOT designed to do so but some will.

Don't assume that they will. If you want the extractor to snap over, ask your g-smith to make sure it does or to modify the extractor so it will. As we discussed a while back, this can be a tricky modification. Getting the angle correct while not weakening the extractor is not as easy as it seems for many. I personally have had very good success with several 98's by merely applying medium buffing compound to the extractor and then polishing hard on a hard cloth wheel, finishing with high polish. I cannot tell the difference in bolt force when using mine or others' that have been professionally modified BUT this does not mean that my method is the proper one. I do not know. My method might allow excessive force on the extractor.

For me I don't really care, as I do not routinely drop a round up the spout. I always feed from the magazine, BUT I absolutely want the extractor to snap over because years ago I had a couple incidents with a 98 that left me with a round jammed in the chamber with a bolt that would not close over it. In my mind at the time "so much for the absolute reliability of the stock Mauser 98"...

I personally think the CZ action is a good one for the .375. My SAKO .375 weighs 10 pounds with scope and loaded which as far as I'm concerned is perfect, tho some might like a .375 to weigh a bit less.

As a matter of fact, mine is on the Disabled List so-to-speak right now as after over 25 years the scope gave me some trouble. Leupold has it and is installing a new German #4 reticle also, one I have on a 9.3 and like very much.

What scope have you settled on?

I have Warne QD base/rings on my CZ and they seem to hold zero pretty well as long as the same pressure/tightening sequence is applied to the scope when reattaching it.

Keep us posted!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9.3x57 (30/11/09 01:52 AM)

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: CZ 550 Project Begins [Re: 9.3x57]
      #146960 - 30/11/09 09:07 AM

Hi 9.3x57,

I guess with all the stirring your glasses fell into the pot.... just joking...

As I said earlier: "In addition I have ordered from Graeme Spraggon a Pistol Grip Trap along with a Bullet Trap, Recknagel QD Lever mounts in 30mm and then this will be topped off by a S&B Zenith 1.1-4x24 scope with the FD7 reticule." I have had one of these scope / mount combinations before and loved it and had great success on our N.T. Buffalo in 2007.

As silly as it may seem, it will be a “Tad” easier having the project built than to use it in Africa but as I said, if God’s good I will make it there before I meet him.

Cheers for now,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

#146965 - 30/11/09 12:01 PM

Yikes.

They sure did, and I don't even wear them.

Looks like I need to...

--------------------

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: CZ 550 Project Begins [Re: 9.3x57]
      #147458 - 08/12/09 07:11 PM

Australia Post is not like a fine wine which improves with age. As I mentioned in a previous post, on Monday 30th November the CZ was sent South to Alex Beer in Tasmania for the commencement of the upgrade, the rifle was sent about 10am and by their records it takes a maximum of 5 days, well it finally arrived there yesterday morning (Thankfully) Monday 7th December about 0830am. !!! A long 5 days !!!.

What I also find questionable is that in NSW all firearms must be sent via Registered post as they know (Aust. Post) where each parcel is !!! now here’s the twist, you pay the additional premium for the Registered Post and get a number that allows you to track your parcel but the parcel never gets scanned at the post office where the parcel was sent from, in my case it leaves Dubbo and goes to the Bathurst sorting center (Not Scanned) before being sent to the destination and then only when it reaches the final destination does it get scanned. So why bother, at least with the USPS I have tracked my goods halfway around the world before it got to me but I knew where it was…… Oh well……

The Recknagel barrel band and banded front sight has now been ordered so hopefully 2-3 weeks Alex should have them. I also spoke to Ross Waghorn this evening and he said that the stock blank arrived from Roger Vardy today with Ross saying that it was a really a beautiful blank.

So, all that I can do for now has been done and I am in the hands of the artisans.

Cheers for now and I will update the post when further information becomes available.

Jeff Gray

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (23/06/10 09:28 PM)

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
      #147487 - 09/12/09 08:59 AM

Nothing to do now but wait. Sounds like the start of an addiction.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: CZ 550 Project Begins [Re: tophet1]
      #149620 - 06/01/10 03:58 PM

The New Year has begun and with it the hopes and aspirations that we all share, on the 5th January I decided to contact Alex Beer to see if the parts he ordered for the project on the 7th December 2009 had arrived but regretfully not, so a quick Email to Graeme Spraggon told of a very inquisitive Customs service checking his shipment but “not to worry” they had just arrived and was posted to Alex that morning the 5th January. These should be in Deloraine by Friday this week.

In the meantime, Alex had started on the easier but time consuming job of removing both the original front and rear sights, then machining off the rear sight boss, cutting the barrel to 24 inches, re-crowning and changing the barrel to it's final contour.

ORIGINAL REAR SIGHT AND BOSS

BOSS REMOVED

FINAL BARREL PROFILE

CUT BARREL TO 24 INCHES

CUT BARREL RE CROWNED

I know that most of you have already done this before, but for me it is my first time and I am very enthusiastic to share it with you.

Until the next lot of pictures arrive,

Cheers for now,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (23/06/10 09:30 PM)

FATBOY404
.400 member

#149625 - 06/01/10 04:33 PM

Good to see your project moving along ahead of schedule.Looking good & keep us posted.

--------------------

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: CZ 550 Project Continues [Re: FATBOY404]
      #151581 - 23/01/10 09:10 PM

Hi All,

Well the New Year is well under way and the project has started in earnest. Due to the Christmas / New Year period, some of the components were slow to arrive but have now made it safely to our shores. Alex has been very productive and in my last post I showed the barrel having the various changes that needed to be done before the real work could start with vigor.

In this update, the Front Banded Sight has been fitted with a small amount of barrel protruding so as to allow the barrel to be re-crowned if ever it became necessary due to one-self taking a tumble (God forbid) along with the Sling Eye.

This next section shows the piece of “Raw” steel for the Quarter rib sitting on the barreled action awaiting the “Magical” hands of Alex Beer.

Like any artistic work, a lot of trial fitting is done, smoking the part to show “High” spots, more filing until the right fit is made.

Finally, the steel can be soldered onto the barrel but it is still in a semi finished condition.

Once that is complete, the Rib is then machined to it’s final shape and a Dovetail cut into it so that the rear sight can be fitted. This Dovetail is 27 ¼” from the sight to the centre outer edge of the recoil pad. This distance or close to it is best suited for “Older” eyes and with this distance older people are supposed to be able to align the open sights more readily. The fixed sight is Zeroed to 50 yards whereas the folding leaf is Zeroed to 100yds.

Although the front sight and rib will have stippling done to them, Alex has suggested that he will do this just prior to the “Rust Bluing” which is after the stock has been completed. The next 3 photos gives a close up of the Front sight, the Rear sight and the side profile of the Rib. To date, the metal finish is done to 400 grit.

Well, in about a week the CZ 550 will leave “Lonnie” heading for the Big Smoke on the mainland (Melbourne) but will return to "Lonnie" once the stock has been finished, until then this is how it looks in the original stock which I will have refinished in oil and use as “Beater” stock. Whilst in Melbourne Ross Waghorn who is renown for his exhibition stock work will take charge and turn my wonderful blank into a work of art. Shortly, Ross Waghorn will have his own website up and running and has asked my permission to use the making of my stock in a Step by Step details for all prospective customers to see how much work is involved. One it is up and running, I will give the link for those that may be interested.

Until next time,

Cheers for now,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (23/06/10 09:32 PM)

FATBOY404
.400 member

Re: CZ 550 Project Continues [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #151582 - 23/01/10 09:20 PM

Well done Jeff.
Alex sure does fine work. The old stock just doesnt do it justice anymore.
Is the front sight a Recknagel or did Alex make it ?.

--------------------

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: CZ 550 Project Continues [Re: FATBOY404]
      #151585 - 23/01/10 10:08 PM

Hi Neale,

Yes, it's Recknagel so is the Rear sight in his Rib...

Cheers Mate,

Jeff

--------------------

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

#151803 - 25/01/10 10:57 PM

Hi All,

I received a welcome surprise this evening when an Email from Alex Beer sent another 5 photo’s. During today Alex completed the Stippling to the front sight and the ¼ Rib along with the Silver center line on the fixed rear sight.

In addition, Alex fitted the Low Light Front sight so here are the pictures I received.

Front sight with low light bead in the down position.

Front sight with low light bead in the up position.

Rear sight with Silver center line.

Completed ¼ Rib with sights adjusted to 50 & 100 yards.

Overhead view next to a Westley Richards Double Rifle.

There will a break in proceedings as Alex is off to the Wild Deer Hunting and Guiding Expo in Rutherglen Victoria and then off the S.C.I. show in Brisbane Queensland.

Alex has asked me to let you all know that he is going to be at these events and looks forward to meeting with as many of you as he can.

I am already looking forward to Alex’s return as when he does I will be getting him to complete a little “Brother” for this one, but that’s another story.

The stock work will be starting shortly and I will keep you posted on the progress,

Anyway, Cheers for now,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (23/06/10 09:35 PM)

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #152168 - 29/01/10 09:53 PM

Jeff,
I missed this post.
Wow! your rifle looks to be coming on just super.
As I was going through the pictures of Alex's superb work I was thinking of sending you a note to see if it was too late to ad a moon sight. But found that you had already had one fitted.
I had an experience with a Lion that convinced me that every DG rifle should be fitted with this sight!!

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Re: CZ 550 Project Continues [Re: ozhunter]
      #152171 - 29/01/10 11:36 PM

Hi Ozhunter,

Thanks for the compliments, and Yes, Alex is top notch. Originally Alex just fitted an ordinary front sight but I liked the one that I had seen on another job that Alex had done previously and I guess there was a little confusion but he had one in stock and fitted it.

It is taking shape and the original stock is going to be re done by Alex in oil to be used as a "Beater" stock leaving the new one that Ross Waghorn is making for "Light" hunting but I thought if I am lucky enough to get to Africa I would hate to slip and bugger up a exhibition blank, in addition, Alex suggested that I leave a little at the muzzle in case it ever needs re-crowning, hope that's not an omen.

You like many others didn't find the continuance of the forum so I started a second one which is as follows:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=151868&an=0&page=0#Post151868

There is a message from Alex (sort of ) but in addition, I am so pleased with the way this one is coming along, I saw a CZ550 in 9.3x62 with a good quality scope and bought it. It will be made into a 30.06 but will be a scaled down “Look Alike” to the .375H&H but will just have the original stock but oil finished.

I still have some photos that Alex sent me the other night, he mounted the Recknagel QD Pivot mounts and put the S&B scope on it and it look a million dollars.

Anyway, thanks Adam, please keep in touch, Lapua said you were meeting up at the Wild Deer Expo and it should be good Expo, I just wish I could make it myself but no luck this time.

Cheers for now,

Jeff

--------------------

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
      #152186 - 30/01/10 02:57 AM

I really like what you did with the rib and sights.

VonGruff
.400 member

Reged: 08/02/09
Loc: South Otago, New Zealand.
Re: CZ 550 Project Continues [Re: 500grains]
      #152195 - 30/01/10 06:36 AM

That is a beautiful blank you have. As has been said the 1/4 rib and sights look "right"

Von Gruff.

--------------------
Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Ben
.400 member

Reged: 22/08/08
Loc: Northern Territory, Australia
Re: CZ 550 Project Continues [Re: VonGruff]
      #161753 - 09/06/10 05:37 PM

That is looking really, really good!

TilleyMan
.333 member

Reged: 23/08/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Re: CZ 550 Project Continues [Re: Ben]
      #161764 - 09/06/10 08:11 PM

Very nice indeed... the bordered stippling is a elegant touch!

Phillip
.300 member

Reged: 31/05/10
Loc: North Carolina
Re: CZ 550 Project Continues [Re: TilleyMan]
      #161769 - 09/06/10 09:07 PM

I wish I had my barrel back to 22",but it's worked out well
You should be proud!!

--------------------
My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 20883

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com