Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Trijicon 1-4x24

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
MarkR
.333 member

Reged: 29/07/07
Loc: NW Vic. Australia
Trijicon 1-4x24
      #146661 - 25/11/09 02:51 PM

Hi everyone,

Can someone tell me if the eye relief of this scope is enough on a big banger (458 or 416 class rifle)?

Please don't confuse with the similar 1.25-4x24 scope which has more eye releif listed.

I'm after reports from users please, not spec sheets.

Do people prefer amber or green illumination?

Cheers,
Mark.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Trijicon 1-4x24 [Re: MarkR]
      #146675 - 25/11/09 05:12 PM

Green

BwanaBob
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
      #151208 - 20/01/10 11:34 AM

Mark,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post but I have only just become aware of it.

Yes, the Trijicon Accupont TR24 (1-4x24/30mm tube) has less eye relief than the TR21 (1.25-4x24/25mm tube). The TR24, at 3.2", has the same eye relief as most other similar scopes, such as the Swarovskis. At 3.2", I do believe that there is sufficient eye-relief for a heavy recoiling rifle but ONLY JUST ENOUGH and should you accidentally crawl up the stock, or be shooting from an unfamiliar position, it could become a problem. Frankly, I am loathe to put any scope with an eye relief of only 3.2" on a heavy recoiling rifle.

I have shot a Merkel .375 H&H double, fitted with a Swarovski 1.25-4x (3.2" eye relief) and, while shooting off a bench, this scope kept touching my forehead. It didn't hurt me, because I kept creaping away from it, but it was very disconcerting. Shooting off-hand it may not have been a problem but I believe it is still too close.

However, there is a solution that allows the TR24, with the Triangle (post) reticle to be mounted with more eye-relief than the brochures state and that solution is to SHOOT WITH BOTH EYES OPEN. And I am not talking about shooting with both eyes open and the scope set on 1x, I am talking about the scope set on 4x and left there permanently. This is one of the huge advantages of the Accupoints fitted with the Triangle reticle and, sadly, it has largely escaped the attention of the shooting public. The military and law enforcement agencies have not missed the advantages of both-eyes-open-shooting and this technique is now widely taught. Trijicon calls this technique BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept) shooting.

With a BAC scope, you can engage near and far targets, stationary and moving targets all without making any adjustments to the scope - the adjustments are all done in your brain! When you are looking at a stationary target, the image coming through the scope (and into your dominant eye) is clear and easy for your brain to process and you see the magnified image superimposed on your total peripheral vision. if the target is not close and is stationary, and you have plenty of time for the shot, you still have the option of closing one eye and shooting in the traditional manner, but after shooting with both eyes open you may still choose, like me, to always shoot with both eyes open.

If the target is moving, your brain has troubles processing the blurred magnified image and so automatically reverts to your peripheral vision, mostly coming from your non-dominant eye. BUT, because the triangle reticle seems to be stationary (it is only the background through the scope that is blurred) and because the reticle is brightly illuminated, your brain can still see the reticle clearly and automatically superimposes it in your vision - so you can see the moving target with you non-dominant eye and the reticle with your dominant eye - and, presto, you can easily shoot moving game.

Not only does this work but instead of closing off most of your 200 degrees of peripheral vision to focus through a scope that only has a field of view of around 10 degrees (a 95% loss!) you keep all of that vision which, particularly when hunting dangerous and moving game, is a huge advantage over older sighting systems that require us to close one eye.

Now, back to the issue of eye relief - because you are using both eyes open, you can push the scope forward in the rings, to achieve a greater eye-relief than the brochures state and, therefore, keep it away from your forehead and eyebrow! The fact that the edges of the view, through the scope, are not perfectly clear (because the scope is further forward than the brochure-stated eye relief) does not matter as you are now looking at a composite image consisting of the scope's view of field and your own peripheral vision.

I am in the process of putting TR24s, with Triangle reticles, on my two BRNO ZKK602s (.375H&H and .404 Jeffrey) and will be doing the same for my BRNO ZKK602 .495 A-Square when it is finished later this year. Of course, this solution is still subject to the mounts and rings and the size of your action, but there are normally solutions to most mounting problems.

I am sorry if this answer is long winded, and sounds like an advertisment, but I have put a lot of thought into this very same issue - because I am scoping three (3) heavy recoilling rifles and didn't want to make the mistakes I have made in the past.

--------------------
"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)

BwanaBob
.300 member

Reged: 03/07/03
Loc: Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
      #151227 - 20/01/10 02:30 PM

Oh, and in regards to the colour question. Amber is used because it is the colour that your brain recognises fastest - although we are only talking about milliseconds faster. However, in arid terrains, like outback Australia or Africa, there are a lot of amber colours in the scenery and the amber reticle MAY, on occasions, not stand out as much as it should.

Green is the colour range that you lose last as the light fades and my best mate swears by green as the best option. The green is noticeably different to any natural greens, so doesn't get lost in the foliage and seems to work well.

However, I prefer red, simply because it stands out like 'dogs balls' against any background/environment. Plus, and it is just a personal thing, red is the colour we have always associated with the act of shooting a firearm! Red is the colour we use on safeties to indicate when the firearm is ready to fire. Red is the colour we associate with danger. So, for me, red is the natural colour to use for a reticle and, in a way, it encourages you to take the shot.

--------------------
"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3226

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com