Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Metalguy
.300 member

Reged: 25/10/09
Loc: Northern WY
375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express
      #146516 - 24/11/09 05:02 AM

I'm trying to find load data, ballistics and pressure for the 375 x 2-1/2"NE. I'm considering this chambering for a project. I've forund brass at Midway. Don't know about reloading dies though or a chamber reamer. Anything will help. Thanks

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: 375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express [Re: Metalguy]
      #146517 - 24/11/09 05:04 AM

Reloading dies are available from Huntington's.

Good little 375 cal cartridge, take all deer and maybe a bit more.

Top light pig calibre as well.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: 375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express [Re: 500Nitro]
      #146523 - 24/11/09 06:08 AM

Reamers are available here.

http://www.reamerrentals.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Metalguy
.300 member

#146524 - 24/11/09 06:09 AM

do you know of anywhere I can look at ballistics?

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #146525 - 24/11/09 06:15 AM

Cartridges of the World

Do a search in Google.

It should be listed somewhere.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #146527 - 24/11/09 06:39 AM

My COTW shows 2000 fps and 2400 ME as a factory load.

I've got a WR side lever that's destined for this one when it get's rebuilt. It's a WR 450 #1 carbine now in full stocked military trim now.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: 375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express [Re: AkMike]
      #146574 - 24/11/09 03:01 PM

I have a .375 -.303 I made from an old shot out (really bad bore!) Martini-Enfieild. I had the original bore reamed and rifled and the chamber openned with a neck to accomodate the .375 bullet. I have formed the cases out of heavy brass boxer primed .303 military brass and anealled the necks. I have not had time to load any test loads yet. I will need to do some sight work later, as the original rear sight is not very good condition. The original front sight of the carbine was battered almost gone. I had a dovetail milled and an "ivory" bead put on. More as I can.
I am excited about the cartridge potential.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: 375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #146596 - 24/11/09 11:48 PM

Quote:

I have a .375 -.303 I made from an old shot out (really bad bore!) Martini-Enfieild. I had the original bore reamed and rifled and the chamber openned with a neck to accomodate the .375 bullet. I have formed the cases out of heavy brass boxer primed .303 military brass and anealled the necks. I have not had time to load any test loads yet. I will need to do some sight work later, as the original rear sight is not very good condition. The original front sight of the carbine was battered almost gone. I had a dovetail milled and an "ivory" bead put on. More as I can.
I am excited about the cartridge potential.

Sounds like a neat project!

88: who rebored the rifle? $$?? How long did it take to get back?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express [Re: 9.3x57]
      #146597 - 25/11/09 12:44 AM

88 Mau. - sounds similar to the rifle .375 Ken Waters had made up on a Ruger #1 for his son. I've had thoughts of doing the same thing on a spare #3 action I have laying around.
I think it's listed in Pet Loads, isn't it? I know it's in "Big Bores" or "Wildcat Combo".

If you need data, I have his.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

simonsaorsa
.300 member

Reged: 11/05/06
Loc: UK
Re: 375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express [Re: DarylS]
      #146644 - 25/11/09 08:36 AM

per Eley Brothers 1910 table it sent a 270 grain bullet downrange at 1975 fps from 40 grains of cordite for 2336 ft lbs of muzzle energy , assuming a 28 inch barrel. Loads for it in first and second editions of Graeme Wrights 'Shooting the double rifle". I don't have the latest edition so can't say what he has in there. PM me if you want them.

Metalguy
.300 member

Re: 375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express [Re: simonsaorsa]
      #146659 - 25/11/09 02:15 PM

what about a .375 x 74r ??? I can't find out a lot about his cartridge.

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
      #146665 - 25/11/09 03:26 PM

I had this done by a fellow in Oregon. It was about $300. The vedict is still out on how good a job as I have not had time to test it out. The barrel is about 25". the rifling and chamber look good from a mirror and light point of view. The rifling looks a bit shallow though I had asked for a bore for cast bullets. I suppost I can use jacketed intended for the .375 Win or .38/55. The one that I would have used is Dan Petersen of Prescott AZ. He is totally overloaded at the moment, but I would feel better with his work. he has had two of my rifles since July. I should have the in the next few weeks. I will do some loading and shooting soon. I am about to be able to unpack the irons. Alaska has been exceptionally cold the last few weeks. Near or below 0. Then the last three days in the 30's. Go figure. We had moose in the parking lot at the office this week. Big old bull that feels right at home. fun.
Daryl, I will search the loads listed as I put them together. Thanks. A ruger #3 would be great with this cartridge.
'88

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
      #146670 - 25/11/09 04:26 PM

I load and shoot the 375 2 1/2 inch flanged NE.

I haven't done a lot of work with the cartridge. Here are the loads I tested.

Cartridge: .375 2 1/2 Flanged NE
Case: Kynoch
Bullet: 270 grs. sp
Maker: Hornady
Primer: Winchester LR
Powder: RL-15
Weight: 45 grs.
Gun: Martini MK IV Shilen 28 inch BBL
Group: 1 1/8 @ 50yds
Date: 3/3/2004
Notes: Test loads

Bullet: 270 grs. RN
Powder: IMR 3031
Weight: 42 grs.
Group: 1 3/4 @ 50yds

Bullet: 270 grs. RN
Powder: RL-15
Weight: 45 grs.
Group: 2 1/4 @ 50yds

Bullet: 270 grs. SP
Powder: IMR 3031
Weight: 42 grs.
Gun: Martini MK IV, Shilen 28 inch BBL
Group: 1 3/8 @ 50yds

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Metalguy
.300 member

#146692 - 26/11/09 12:29 AM

I am going to build a double rifle. This caliber caught my interest because of how cheap the .375 barrel blanks are, so "cleaning" up the rifling doesn't matter to me.

davester
.224 member

Reged: 18/04/08
Loc: Kansas
      #152136 - 29/01/10 01:29 PM

I wrote a fairly comprehensive article on this caliber for Double Gun Journal volume 13, issue 2, summer of 2002. It featured my H&H Royal along with a co-writer/friend's Bland and Dominion.. LOTS of reloading info gleaned from our experience with a number of these rifles. I think you can still purchase it from DGJ.

Dave Gilmore
Leawood, Ks.

lawndart
.224 member

Reged: 09/05/06
Loc: Idaho, USA
Re: 375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express [Re: davester]
      #152151 - 29/01/10 04:06 PM

I believe this is the same cartridge as the 9.5x57 MS.

That will help widen the reloading horizons a bit.

LD

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: 375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express [Re: lawndart]
      #152153 - 29/01/10 04:55 PM

The 9.5 x 57 MS is 1/4 inch shorter and BN.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

450_Ackley
.375 member

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: Darling Downs, Qld Australia
Re: 375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express [Re: DoubleD]
      #152234 - 30/01/10 02:48 PM

and rimless.

Oldbrit
.333 member

Reged: 04/04/10
Re: 375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express [Re: 450_Ackley]
      #158461 - 08/04/10 03:39 AM

I've been doing a bit of work on reloading this cartridge and I've been writing it up as I go. As a newbie here I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to post at any one time. If I'm doing too much just tell me.

The Gun

I bought a 1902 falling block, single shot Webley which originally had a telescopic sight which has gone the way of all flesh over the years. I got a copy of Webley’s original sales day book and it told me that the gun was originally sold in 1904 to W.H. Milsted & Co, Colonial Agents in London. The gun is in sound mechanical condition and has been refinished at some time in the distant past. The auctioneer’s description was,

WEBLEY & SCOTT ARMS CO. LTD.
A .375 (EXPRESS) 1902 PATENT FALLING-BLOCK SPORTING RIFLE,
26in. blacked nitro barrel signed '.375 2 1/2IN. CASE / WEBLEY & SCOTT ARMS CO. LTD. 78 SHAFTSBURY AVENUE, LONDON, & BIRMINGHAM / 40 GRS CORDITE. 270 GRS NICKEL COATED BULLET', bead fore-sight, block-mounted rear express sight of five folding leaves each with platinum-inlaid centre-line and calibrated to 500 yards, the breech-end of the barrel and the rear of the sight-block fitted with telescopic sight bases, blacked border and scroll engraved action signed 'WEBLEY & SCOTT ARMS CO. LTD.' on the left side and 'WEBLEY PATENT NO. 6365 1902' on the right side, manual safety with gold-inlaid 'SAFE', 14in. figured pistolgrip stock, chequered grip and fore-end, horn fore-end cap and butt-plate, iron sling eyes (metal parts recoloured).

Dies

I discovered that they aren’t exactly common but RCBS will make you a set at an exorbitant price. I was complaining about this to a good pal who lives in California and he was sure there was a better deal than that and suggested CH. I established that they had what I wanted and 8 days after I e-mailed my credit card details across, a fine set of dies arrived here in the UK. It’s a three die set and, once adjusted, works perfectly. The only reservation I have is that the sizing die seems to be on the generous size for my chamber. This hasn’t presented me with any problems so far but running some old Berdan primed cases I bought into the sizer didn’t bring all of them down far enough to chamber in my rifle. The Kynamco cases I have seem to be sized sufficiently but as I’m only using moderate loads perhaps the die is only neck sizing them. If this becomes a problem I may need to seek a solution, perhaps with a custom made sizing die.

I didn’t buy a shell holder at the time because Cartridges of the World says that the case head is almost identical to a 303 British and I already had one of those. This was a mistake as the 303 British shell holder I’ve got is just a bit too big. This only really matters when I’m using my Lee Auto Prime II. This takes conventional shell holders and a couple of times I popped a case through the holder whilst seating a primer (more of this anon) with slight damage to the case rim. This was easily fixed with a fine file but isn’t a desirable state of affairs. The solution turned out to be a 44/40 shell holder which holds the Kynamco cases I’m using much more snugly.

Sizing the cases is much easier than say 303 British; I use lanolin as a sizing lubricant. The die sizes about the first 5/8ths” of the case neck with parallel sides and the rest of it with a gentle taper. I haven’t found it necessary to lubricate the inside of the case necks. Because I’ve got a single shot rifle I’m not crimping but I’m not sure crimping would be necessary anyway as the neck tension is quite good.

Brass

I could buy Bertram brass over here from Midway UK but they are incredibly expensive. I think there may be US laws that don’t allow your dealers sending formed brass overseas because nobody seemed to be interested in supplying me, even though I could buy them cheaper in the US rather than the UK.

I contacted Kynamco to see if they would sell me brass ( http://www.new-kynoch.apt-sites.com/ ). They are only about 50 miles away from here so I called them and asked if they had any cases to spare. They did and I bought fifty at about two pounds each including postage. They arrived within a few days. They explained to me that their willingness to supply depends on how many cases they’ve got in stock. They keep minimum number of cases so that they can load a batch of ammunition if they receive an order.

The cases are headstamped Kynoch and I’ve been told that they are sourced from Bertram. I’ve also been told that Bertram source their brass from India. This could explain a lot! I discovered three minor but irritating problems with the cases. Firstly one of them was about 1/5” short; so short that it would have meant completely readjusting the dies to reload it. Consequently I only got 49 usable cases. Secondly the flash holes are very tight. On my first go at reloading the cases they kept pulling the decapping pin out of the die (it’s a straight pin held in a collet with no head). I cured this by substituting the shank end of a 1.5mm drill for the CH decapping pin. I don’t like opening up flash holes but running a 2mm drill through them would have solved the problem. On all the 303 British cases I’ve got a 2mm drill will easily pass through the flash holes so it’s the 375 brass that has the problem. Lastly, the primer pockets seem shallow. I’ve tried several brands of large rifle primer and they all require some force to get them to seat flush with the case head. I don’t like crushing a primer but it’s better than leaving it proud. This was how I discovered the shell holder problem mentioned above. I’ve toyed with the idea of using magnum large pistol primers. As we’re operating at a lot less pressure than a 44 Magnum the capability of the primer cup to stand up to the pressure wouldn’t be a problem but I’m not sure that they would have sufficient brisance to kick off 40 plus grains of powder. As soon as I can cadge a few I’ll try this. One of the cases split on the first reload.

I’ve considered forming cases from other brass. The two I’ve tried are 405 Winchester and 9.3X74. Both formed perfectly satisfactorily in the CH sizing die and then needed trimming to length. The only, rather fundamental, problem was that they wouldn’t chamber. They appear to be slightly too wide across the base of the case and even forcing the case right into the sizing die with no shell holder and then tapping it out didn’t solve this. I feel there may be some rim dimensional problems as well. As this involves lathe work I’ve shelved this for the time being. I recently had another think about this and decided that there just had to be a sizing die out there that would bring the case head down the few thousands of an inch I needed. There is and it’s called a 44 Special (or Magnum). Again I passed the cases into the die without a shellholder and tapped them out. The result is cases that have the correct head diameter but still won’t chamber. This needs more work as I now think the taper on the case is incorrect for my gun. You would think that my sizing die would solve this but it doesn’t.

I did have one other flash of inspiration. Why not fire form a 303 case for a 375 short? I loaded up some Winchester Western 303 cases with 8 grains of an old Nobel powder roughly equivalent to Bullseye, pushed down a pinch of kapok to hold the powder in place, topped off the case with semolina (cream of wheat?) and a 1/8” wax plug in the end of the case just to hold it together. I took these down to the range, fired them vertically into the air and wound up with perfectly formed cases. One out of the five I tried split at the neck. The body of the case is fine but the neck is now only about ¼” long. There seems to be no reason why these cases couldn’t now be loaded with light loads and shot, I just haven’t tried it yet. I have been told that the same process can be applied to 30/40 Krag cases and this will produce a slightly longer, although still short for the calibre, case.

I wasn’t really happy with any of the above and so continued to scour the Internet and finally discovered Herr Horneber.

http://www.huelsen-horneber.de/frame_engl.html

He allegedly makes all sorts of obscure cases and so I e-mailed him with an enquiry. He replied to the effect that he will do a run of 375 X 2½” cases early in the New Year (although he didn’t say which one as I placed the order in 2008 I assumed he meant 2009) and if I would care to forward 187 Euros he will send 100 to me. I’ll leave you to work out the economics of this but even with the exchange rate against Sterling as it is, they looked to be cheaper than Bertram or Kynamco. Sadly after 18 months he has taken my money, failed to deliver the cases and no longer replies to my e-mails. If you choose to deal with him then caveat emptor because I’m down 187 Euros on the deal and feel pretty sore about it.

I picked up a good supply of old Berdan primed original Kynoch cases and a small supply of recently manufactured primers. I hydraulically de-capped some of the cases and successfully reloaded those that would size sufficiently. My experiments are limited by the fact I can’t obtain any more primers.

Bullets

You may know that in the UK our enlightened government won’t allow me to have expanding bullets for target shooting so I have a choice between jacketed and cast. Jacketed seems to be a good idea but try getting them. All the solids I can locate are either steel jacketed at a prodigious price or solid copper at even more. One will be hard on my barrel and one on my pocket. An alternative that I intend to try are the South African Frontier Bullets ( http://www.frontierbullets.co.za/gameranger.htm ). I don’t know if they are available in the US but I can get them here. They are not expensive and I’ve tried their 303 bullets with good results. They appear to have a very long bearing surface so loads may need to be adjusted accordingly.

To get shooting I had a rush of blood to the head and bought some Precision Cast 265 grain gas check bullets from Midway UK. These are intended for the 38-55 and are sized .379”; I sized them down to .376” (that’s how my barrel slugs out). Whilst the cost would indicate that they are pure gold they are really a hard alloy with a wax type lubricant. They are also absolutely brilliant. They shoot at 2,000 fps with no appreciable leading and are remarkably accurate. I’d use them forever except that over here they are rather pricey.

I have located two UK bullet casters that can supply me with a 280 grain gas check bullet from what looks like a Saeco mould. These are cast hard and dipped lubed with the Lee Alox stuff. I have no problem with this, it just looks untidy and I confess to re-sizing and lubing the bullets again myself. They shoot just as well as the Cast Precision bullets with full loads. The Saeco catalogue says these bullets weigh 265 grains but lubed and with the gas check the one’s I’m shooting are more like 280 grains.

As I cast bullets I acquired the Lee 38-55 250 grain plain base bullet mould and this proved to be a total dead loss. The bullet needs so much sizing down that it’s distorted and shoots around corners. Fortunately the mould cost me very little. Sooner or later I’ll buy a proper mould.

Loads

I was fortunate to pick up some Kynoch original ammunition in sealed boxes date coded 1938. In the interests of research I pulled one cartridge and it contained exactly 40 grains of stick cordite in a balloon head case. The bullet had a thin glazed card wad underneath it. The bullet weighs 270 grains and is stab crimped into the case very close to its base. Amazingly the bullet has the letter “K” embossed on its base. Heaven alone knows why they did that but it does look nice. As I had 34 rounds of this I shot five rounds over my chronograph to see what they do. They averaged 1958 fps and were very consistent. They are undoubtedly corrosively primed so I had to scrub the gun out well afterwards. A reproduction of an old ICI Sporting Ammunition Catalogue I have gives a muzzle velocity of 2100 fps from a 25” barrel but I can only report the results I got.

I borrowed a copy of Graeme Wright’s excellent book on loading double rifles and he gives several loads for this cartridge but I can’t speak for them personally. However he tells us that in working with cartridges that were originally loaded with Cordite the following factors can be applied:

1.19 X cordite for Reloader 15
1.33 X cordite for IMR 4831.

I could get Reloader 15 easily enough and so I tried 47 grains with the 265 grain Precision Cast bullet and hit pay dirt straight away. Over my chronograph this averaged 2,050 fps and was very close to factory ballistics according to the old catalogue.

I’ve recently bought some Accurate Arms 2520 and got good results with the Saeco bullet, although I haven’t chronographed them yet. I tried 43, 45 and 47 grains and the middle load, subjectively, felt about right. I had an old sealed can of Nobel No. 2 Rifle powder and found that 42 grains with the Saeco bullet provided a good load. I’ve also going to try IMR 3031, which I use in my 303. Wright doesn’t seem to recommend it for the larger British cases but in the 375 X 2½” it should perfom well.

For light loads I’ve experimented with Accurate Arms 5744. 26 grains gave about 1,600 fps and one of the tightest cast bullet groups I’ve ever shot. This worked with both the Precision Cast and Saeco bullets. It’s great fun to shoot too!

I hope the above helps and I’d love to hear from other users of this cartridge. Particularly from anyone who has managed to make cases from other commonly available brass.

Con
.333 member

Reged: 24/05/04
Loc: Victoria
Re: 375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express [Re: Oldbrit]
      #158650 - 10/04/10 07:32 AM

Oldbrit,
Too late now, but worth remembering. Hornady makes custom dies (I believe they also make RCBS's 'custom dies') and do it at a pretty good price.

This thread deserves some pictures.
Cheers...
Con

DarylS
.700 member

Re: 375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express [Re: Con]
      #158690 - 11/04/10 05:45 AM

Seems to me, Hornady's custom dies are around $100.00 - same for Lee.

--------------------
Daryl

DarylS
.700 member

#158691 - 11/04/10 05:56 AM

Quote:

As I cast bullets I acquired the Lee 38-55 250 grain plain base bullet mould and this proved to be a total dead loss. The bullet needs so much sizing down that it’s distorted and shoots around corners. Fortunately the mould cost me very little. Sooner or later I’ll buy a proper mould.

If there is heavy sizing to do, the bullet's grease grooves must be FILLED prior to sizing. If this is done, there is no distortion.

Lee will make a custom diameter size die with proper sized plunger, both fitting a regular loading press, for about $25.00 US. Normally, a cast bullet should be throat sized as long as it will fit in the case. The groove diameter is of less importance as long as the bullet is always same size or larger. You can size a bulelt so it just barely is a push fit inside a fired case (no sizing) and it will shoot with better accuracy than sized smaller to fit a sized case and groove diameter.

You should put a wad of compressed paper, card stock or other material between a plain based bullet and the powder, but of course,in a necked case, the wad must be in the neck as well as the bullet.

I have sized .375" & .376" jacketed and cast bullets down to .367" without any distortion at all, using a base pushing die I made. The cast bullets, both the RCBS 250gr. and the 300gr. Saeco (I think) bullet worked perfectly at .376" in my .375's, including my Model 94 Winchester .375 Win.

--------------------
Daryl

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
      #158706 - 11/04/10 09:33 AM

Quote: I've been doing a bit of work on reloading this cartridge and I've been writing it up as I go. As a newbie here I'm not sure how much I'm supposed to post at any one time. If I'm doing too much just tell me.

Oldbrit-First of all, let me welcome you to NE.com. For your first post, all I can say is WOW! Very well done, and informative. And, just an FYI, these forums are open for all members participation, and input. It matters not if they're a newbie or an old timer.

lancaster
.470 member

Reged: 06/05/08
Loc: There's a lighthouse in the mi...
Re: 375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express [Re: mikeh416Rigby]
      #158719 - 11/04/10 01:57 PM

9,3x74R brass need a little work on the lathe for turning down the base to 303 diameter but I dont feel comfortable with its rim thickness. the 303/375 flanged have a 1,6mm and the 9,3x74R have a 1,4mm rim thickness and thats a little bit to much if you remember that the max. head space tolerance should be not more than 0,15mm.
I would not hesitate to drill the kynoch/bertram brass flash hole's. they are maybe not regular yet and it will be only better in the end.
hornady 405 win is the best brass you can get now, it need a little work on the lathe but you do it only once. its no problem to turn 0,1 -0,5mm from the base and the case will chamber. I do this with several cases: 9x57 mauser, 11,2x60 schueler, also 24 ga Magtech brass because it dont fit into my old begian hammer gun with its very tight chamber.

--------------------
Norwegian hunter misses moose, shoots man on toilet
bringing civilisation to the barbarians

Oldbrit
.333 member

Reged: 04/04/10
Re: 375 x 2-1/2" Nitro Express [Re: lancaster]
      #159030 - 16/04/10 03:01 AM

Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement. I'll post some pictures just as soon as I get them uploaded to a web site.

I've just ordered a .375 bullet mould from:

http://www.castbulletengineering.com/page003.html

When I get it and I've cast a few I'll post the results. I've never dealt with these people before but they are substanially cheaper than RCBS, Lyman or SAECO when imported into the UK. Thanks to Daryl S. for the advice about filling grease grooves prior to sizing. I'll try that before I get shot of the Lee mould.

Here in the UK Linotype is just about unobtainable, wheelweights are becoming scarce and virgin 50/50 bar solder is very expensive. I did a bit of thinking and came up with pewter as a source of tin. Old pint tankards, particularly if they are dented or engraved with someone's initials can be bought very cheaply (don't tell anyone but usually at less than their scrap value) and will melt down to between 6 and 8 ounces of pewter. Pewter is over 90% tin and is usually alloyed with copper these days rather than lead. I've been using it to produce an alloy of approximately 16:1 and it seems to be performing quite well in pistol calibre carbine loads up to about 1,300 fps. I haven't tried it in my 303 or 375 yet and will try to duplicate Lyman No. 2 metal for that. Anybody got on thoughts on this?

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 57 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19742

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com