Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: My Haenel

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Mauser Discussion Forum

Pages: 1
jager01
.224 member

Reged: 26/02/09
Loc: Ohio
My Haenel
      #145547 - 10/11/09 08:59 AM

Its a great, high quality rifle. Case colored mag and the works. I would say 98% condition. Any idea on the value. Im getting it insured.

Edited by NitroX (17/08/10 03:26 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
heers68
.300 member

Reged: 11/04/08
Loc: north carolina
Re: My Haenel [Re: jager01]
      #145554 - 10/11/09 09:59 AM

Dont feel confident enough about these to quote a value,what is the caliber? Looks just GREAT! First of these with the older action(dont they call this an 88 or some close number to this action??) and magazine that has a very original looking side rail and scope still with it! Is this setup original to the rifle? Tell us how you obtained it and any history! Congrats! Kevin.

jager01
.224 member

Re: My Haenel [Re: heers68]
      #145559 - 10/11/09 11:29 AM

Its 8x57 set up on a what looks like to be a German Kar88. Its double set trigger is the nicest trigger I have ever felt. This setup is original to the rifle. My father just gave this to me so I do not know much about it, but it is by far my favorite rifle, even over my sedgley. It has the Octagon to round ribbed barrel. I can not wait to use this for dear season! I almost dont want to use it its so nice!

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #145563 - 10/11/09 01:40 PM

88Mausersporter is going to hop on this one...

Great rifle. A deer killer to be sure. Some day I will get one.

What caliber?? If you say 9x57, some of us will need another beer...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: My Haenel [Re: 9.3x57]
      #145572 - 10/11/09 03:25 PM

It's too bad someone put that rubber pad on the back.. But it still looks like a keeper! Does it have the rocker, day/night front sight like mine did? That was so cool. Mine was 9X57 and I just found a few boxes of Kynock ammo I forgot about.. I wonder what that's worth now days. I gave away about 50 boxes with the rifle.

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

jager01
.224 member

Re: My Haenel [Re: AkMike]
      #145581 - 10/11/09 04:42 PM

It is too bad about the butt pad. It is 8mm. The magazine is pretty strange. It seams to have an internal stripper clip built into it took me a while to get it figured out. Not friendly for field reloads, but it looks like it can hold allot. The craftsmanship is amazing. I still cant get over the trigger, its like a 1 pound pull maybe..it nicked it and the firing pin slammed forward.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #145583 - 10/11/09 04:56 PM

Just wait til you get inside that magazine.. The craftmanship is beautiful! That's the way they used to make fine rifles. Haenel was one of the best in Europe.

What about the front sight? The rocker style or fixed?

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: My Haenel [Re: AkMike]
      #145595 - 11/11/09 12:12 AM

Just don't push the loads to heavy. The Mannlicher action does not handle escaping gas too well. But yes...they are really and truly a marvel of metal and wood.

How about clips for it??

Can you find any?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Peconga
.224 member

Reged: 26/06/07
Loc: Arizona USA
Re: My Haenel [Re: 9.3x57]
      #146271 - 20/11/09 04:31 AM

Before firing this old beauty, be sure to have the bore diameter slugged and measured by a competent gunsmith. There is a very good chance that your rifle barrel has the early 8x57J bore diameter (0.318") rather than the later and more common 8x57S bore (0.323"). Firing S-bore projectiles through a J-bore barrel can lead to a potentially dangerous over-pressure situation. There is lots of information out there on this topic, so be sure to do your research first. Also, factory 8x57J ammunition and 0.318" jacketed bullets are still available, so there is no reason to "push it".

Cheers!
Peconga in Boise, Idaho USA

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: My Haenel [Re: Peconga]
      #146299 - 20/11/09 05:59 PM

Very nice rifle. Good scope set up. I am still looking for a good claw ring mount to go with my claw bases for one of my 1888s sporters. I have two that are so similar to yours. Mine are full tapered octagon and not octagon to round. I have two with shrouded barrel as sporters. One carbine and one rifle. The set up of the mannlicher clip permanetly installed in the magazine well for scope use is a transition piece. It is difficult to seat cartridges, but works well afterword. My rigle intended for a scope has the external inline magazine removed and an internal 3 rd magazine built in. It is slick as snot. (excuse the reference).Please listen to Peconga. Most of these remain chambered for the J=bore .318 bullet. You can find good bullets from Woodleigh in 200 gr and 180 t0 220 from Hawk. I find the Hawk bullet in the thinner jacket too week even for a 2100 fps 220 gr. load. Us the .035 jacket and they will hold together better on game. They shoot to the iron sights well.
\Your rifle, if this is an original scope and mount set up, even with the replacement but pad could value to $1500 to $2000 in best condition. This could be good for insurance value. You can still find a nice one from $900 to $2000 and in various calibers. I have seen some rediculous values in the $3000 range, but they don't sell near that. Yours is a name Haene. It brings the better price and value. Most are un-marked. My carbine is a Schilling. The two that are similar to yours are unmarked as to maker.
Load this rifle accordingly with intended loads (200-220 gr at 2100-2200 fls) and pressures 40,000 or under PSI and you will have a very nice and proud rifle of great heritage. I have hunted and taken boar and deer with mine. I will be taking moose and blackbear most likely, here in Alaska. they tend to be my favorite "go to" rifles.
Congrats.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #146317 - 21/11/09 02:58 AM

Jager01,

A very beautiful Haenel sporter. If you have more pictures, please do post them here.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4998

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com