Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: croc culling? calls for it again

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
croc culling? calls for it again
      #146069 - 17/11/09 07:28 AM

Australia & New Zealand : Australia: Renewed all for crocodile hunt / cull in Australia
on 2009/11/16 2:26:54

DARWIN, AUSTRALIA // There are renewed calls for big game hunters to be allowed to curb the spread of deadly saltwater crocodiles in northern Australia after a series of fatal attacks and several near-misses.

Plans by the Northern Territory government to introduce safari-style expeditions were rejected last month by the federal environment minister, Peter Garrett, who said the proposals were “not a suitable approach for the responsible management of crocodiles”, but officials and tourism operators remain convinced that small-scale trophy hunting should be permitted in the interests of public safety.

Crocodiles have been protected since the 1970s, when they came close to extinction, but since then their numbers have risen sharply along with the threat to residents.

There have been two fatalities this year in the Northern Territory, which is estimated to have 80,000 saltwater crocodiles, the largest concentration in Australia, where rangers routinely relocate troublesome animals and their eggs from built-up areas and tourist spots.

In March, Briony Goodsell, 11, was dragged to her death while swimming with friends at a swamp near Darwin. The tragedy has reignited the debate about commercial hunting.

Holding a large three-metre crocodile that had been wrapped in plastic and placed in a freezer to preserve its valuable skin, Mick Denigan, a professional reptile catcher, said a cull was urgently needed.

Mr Denigan said he would not benefit commercially because he is busy enough already catching rogue crocodiles for his skinning and souvenir business.

Under strict official guidelines, Mr Denigan, a former government quarantine officer, is employed to remove problem crocodiles from private land in the Northern Territory, where rogue animals are stalked at night by boat, impaled with a harpoon and then shot in the head.

His quarry is then skinned, with its durable hide made into souvenir wallets, boots and belts.

“Some of them, when they are under three metres, are just like a big, playful puppy dog checking things out, but when they get a bit older they really start to smarten up and … if you’re in their water, you’re in trouble if one is looking at you. If you’re in a boat you are safe, but if you’re in their domain in the water you don’t have much chance. They’ll just grab you like a gecko eats a moth. Not many people escape,” Mr Denigan warned.

Beneath the seemingly benign expanses of the Adelaide River, south of Darwin, a largely unseen army of saltwater crocodiles prowls the murky brown water.

Occasionally a pair of furtive-looking eyes will emerge from the depths, while telltale slide marks have been carved from the banks by the weight of the world’s largest reptiles.

This is undoubtedly one of Australia’s most dangerous places but one that retains an endless fascination for holidaymakers.

With the temperature nudging 38°C, visitors board the Adelaide River Queen on a feeding expedition, where lumps of raw meat are dangled on a line, a treat few crocodiles can resist.

Propelled by powerful tails, they launch out of the water and snap their jaws around their prize to squeals of astonishment and delight from tourists who watch from the safety of the boat’s cabin, but who nevertheless have come within a few feet of an animal that could kill them in an instant.

“In a heartbeat they can take you and you wouldn’t even know what got you,” said Simone Johnson, the skipper, who supports a limited cull of smaller crocodiles.

“Something really will have to be done because more people are going to find themselves in trouble with crocodiles if we don’t regulate their numbers … You don’t have to come hundreds of kilometres into the wilds of Australia to see them. They are right there on our doorstep.”

Conservationists worry, however, that the Northern Territory will continue to push for federal permission to allow trophy hunters to target these prehistoric beasts.

“We do expect to have to continue to fight this and … internationally people don’t want to see Australia hunt its native animals,” said Alexia Wellbelove from the Humane Society International.

“As far as numbers are concerned, I think there is a natural limit within all wildlife populations based on the amount of food available, and we’d like to leave wildlife to look after itself rather than trying to control it artificially through safari hunting.”

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Re: croc culling? calls for it again [Re: gryphon]
      #146195 - 19/11/09 05:04 AM

Quote:

Conservationists worry, however, that the Northern Territory will continue to push for federal permission to allow trophy hunters to target these prehistoric beasts.

“We do expect to have to continue to fight this and … internationally people don’t want to see Australia hunt its native animals,” said Alexia Wellbelove from the Humane Society International.

“As far as numbers are concerned, I think there is a natural limit within all wildlife populations based on the amount of food available, and we’d like to leave wildlife to look after itself rather than trying to control it artificially through safari hunting.”

I see your press down under has the same problem with the English language as ours. They use the term conservationist when they should be using the term preservationist. Obviously, the actual conservationists are the hunters themselves.

I hope you guys get your croc season. Here in Texas, the gator season hasn't devastated gators. It's ridiculous to imagine it will.

Here's a 10 1/2 footer on Lake Lavon, north of Dallas.

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: croc culling? calls for it again [Re: ChinaFleetSailor]
      #146201 - 19/11/09 07:02 AM

China , That guy is pretty bold , is he in a no hunting area ?

Seldom see that much of a Croc , just 2 bumps or a triangle if he is Cocky !

Having said that we have a couple next to camp that expose them selves a bit !

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #146234 - 19/11/09 08:30 PM

Quote:

Plans by the Northern Territory government to introduce safari-style expeditions were rejected last month by the federal environment minister, Peter Garrett, who said the proposals were “not a suitable approach for the responsible management of crocodiles”, ...

Peter Garrett, once of the Nuclear Disarmament Party and whom sang rock songs about throwing Americans bases out of Australia.

A total dickhead.

Quote:

... where rangers routinely relocate troublesome animals and their eggs from built-up areas and tourist spots.

Mr Denigan said he would not benefit commercially because he is busy enough already catching rogue crocodiles for his skinning and souvenir business.

This is NOTHING about killing crocodiles as over 600 are already killed each year .. but about denying hunters a safari hunt.

Quote:

Under strict official guidelines, Mr Denigan, a former government quarantine officer, is employed to remove problem crocodiles from private land in the Northern Territory, where rogue animals are stalked at night by boat, impaled with a harpoon and then shot in the head.

His quarry is then skinned, with its durable hide made into souvenir wallets, boots and belts.

Quote:

I love it, "international people don't want to see Australia hunts its native animals". (grammar left as written!

Quote:

As far as numbers are concerned, I think there is a natural limit within all wildlife populations based on the amount of food available, and we’d like to leave wildlife to look after itself rather than trying to control it artificially through safari hunting.”

Typical moronic uninformed, uneducated comments from a typical "plastic monkey".

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: croc culling? calls for it again [Re: NitroX]
      #146236 - 19/11/09 08:53 PM

Well I'm going to make sure it's 601+ in the next few years.

Stuff 'em.

I have missed the opportunity twice before, I am going to make
sure I don't miss again !!!

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
Re: croc culling? calls for it again [Re: 500Nitro]
      #146239 - 19/11/09 09:55 PM

Quote:

Well I'm going to make sure it's 601+ in the next few years.

Stuff 'em.

I have missed the opportunity twice before, I am going to make
sure I don't miss again !!!

dont get caught!!!

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #146241 - 19/11/09 10:29 PM

Quote:

i.e. don't swim in the water or you will be contributing to population increase

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: croc culling? calls for it again [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #146242 - 19/11/09 10:31 PM

[quote dont get caught!!!

I won't, don't worry about that.

ChinaFleetSailor
.224 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Re: croc culling? calls for it again [Re: Sarg]
      #146297 - 20/11/09 05:31 PM

Quote:

China , That guy is pretty bold , is he in a no hunting area ?

Seldom see that much of a Croc , just 2 bumps or a triangle if he is Cocky !

Having said that we have a couple next to camp that expose them selves a bit !

Lake Lavon being public, yeah, it's no hunting. As I understand the gator hunting laws, the bait must be firmly affixed to private land. You can take them in public water, though.

Also, we're a little bit north for this guy's range. That's another reason he lived to get so big. If you really wanted to hunt one, you'd do it further south. Where they're thicker.

A gator isn't a croc. It's main evolutionary advantage is, apparently, that it can live in more extreme climates. It'll survive a north Texas winter and a croc won't.

It isn't nearly as active a predator as a croc. It would be doing a disservice to say you have to trip over one before it'll kill you. They're little more active than that.

You wouldn't want to step on one, that's about it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3209

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com