Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: A puzzling Civil War era hunting rifle

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
A puzzling Civil War era hunting rifle
      #145287 - 07/11/09 12:45 AM

A friend of mine has in his possession a half stocked percussion rifle which his father purchased at an auction in rural Tennessee in the early 1950's. The story that came with it was that it been found in the chimney of an old house. It has a number of unusual features.

It has a back action lock marked "A. WRIGHT & CO" and a half octogan, half round barrel 25" long. The barrel has what appears to be hexagonal Whitworth type rifling, measuring .610" across the flats. It has a rifle type half moon buttplate and an elaborately engraved brass patch box. On the opposite side, a brass inlay in the shape of a deer is marked "Adjt. W. N. Mercer, 13th Ark Regt'".
Superficial research reveals that there was a 19th Regiment of Arkansas Infantry, which fought in the Western Theatre during the Civil War.

I have some photographs which I will be glad to post with some assistance from a member who knows how.

Any information as to the identity of the owner and the maker will be appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: A puzzling Civil War era hunting rifle [Re: xausa]
      #145289 - 07/11/09 01:52 AM

If you send the photos to me I'll be glad to post them for you. My email address is in the PM I'm about to send to you.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #145292 - 07/11/09 02:51 AM

Quote:

It has a back action lock marked "A. WRIGHT & CO" and a half octogan, half round barrel 25" long. The barrel has what appears to be hexagonal Whitworth type rifling, measuring .610" across the flats.

Obviously, it's a private weapon used by this soldier - a common occurance over much of the US at that time. The size is odd as it isn't even remotely close to any projectile used by the US government at that time. Many of the civilian guns used, were able to use issue ammo, .54 RB or Minnie or .58 RB or Minnie, .65 RB or Minnie. This one, not so, unless one used a excessivly heavy patch around a minnie 'ball' which is highly unlikely.
The short barrel is also interesting - does it appear to have been shortened?

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: A puzzling Civil War era hunting rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #145303 - 07/11/09 06:20 AM

xausa
.400 member

Re: A puzzling Civil War era hunting rifle [Re: DarylS]
      #145319 - 07/11/09 11:05 AM

The barrel does not appear to have been shortened. In fact, it balances perfectly, which it would be unlikely to do with a shortened barrel. In some respects it reminds me of a Hawken rifle.

Big_Sarge
.224 member

Reged: 26/06/08
Loc: Mississippi
      #145324 - 07/11/09 12:14 PM

W N Mercer was the adjutant of the 13th Arkansas Infantry. The regiment was formed Jul 29, 1861 in Greene County, Arkansas. Here's a short history:

Enlisted at Harrisburg, and organized for one year's state service at Gainesville on June 29, 1861 under the command of Colonel (later Brigadier General) James F. Tappan., and transferred to Confederate service on July 17, 1861 at Pocahontas. Field Officers were Lt. Col. A.R. Brown and Major Robert A. Duncan. Moved through Pittman's Ferry to Kentucky where Hardee's Division became the Army of Central Kentucky. Assigned to Travis' Brigade, Pillow's Division, where it fought it the battle of Belmont, MO on November 7, 1861. Col Tappan was promoted to the brigade command in March, 1862, and led it in the Battle of Shiloh on Apr. 6-7 and in the Corinth Campaign from April through June of that year. Company K of the 7th Kentucky Infantry was assigned to the regiment as a second "Company E" on April 13, 1862. The regiment re-enlisted and reorganized for a period of two years or the duration of the War on April 29, 1862. Following the evacuation of Corinth, moved to Tupelo, MS, and thence to Chattanooga, TN under General Bragg for his 1862 Kentucky campaign. Participated in battles of Richmond (August 29-30) and Perryville, KY on October 8, 1862. In December, 1862, reassigned to Cleburne's Brigade (later Liddell's Arkansas Brigade of Cleburne's Division) where it fought in the battles of Stones River (Dec. 31, 1862-Jan 3, 1863), Tullahoma Campaign in June, 1863; Liberty Gap (June 24-26, 1863), Chickamauga (Sep 19-20, 1863); Siege of Chattanooga (Sep.-Nov. 1863); Battle of Chattanooga, Ringgold Gap, Dalton, Resaca, the Atlanta Campaign, New Hope Church, Kennesaw Mountain, Atlanta, and the siege of Atlanta. Consolidated with the 15th Arkansas Infantry early in 1863, and additionally with the 5th Arkansas Infantry in August, 1863. Regiment and colors were captured at Jonesboro, Georgia on Sept. 1, 1864, and exchanged approximately 1 month later. Rejoined Cleburne's Division for Hood's Tennessee Campaign where it fought at Spring Hill, Franklin, and Nashville. Engaged in the Carolinas Campaign in early 1865, and at the last battle of the Army of Tennessee at Bentonville on March 19-21, 1865. Survivors were consolidated along with those of the 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 15th, 19th (Dawson's) and 24th Arkansas Infantry and the 3rd Confederate Regiment (formerly Marmaduke's 18th Arkansas Infantry) to form the 1st Infantry Regiment (Consolidated) at Smithfield, NC on April 9th, 1865. Surrendered two weeks later with LTG Joe Johnston's Army of Tennessee near Durham, North Carolina.

Officers: Colonel (later Brigadier General) James C. Tappan. Field Officers: Lt. Col. A.R. Brown, Maj. (later Lt. Col.) Robert A. Duncan, Lt. Col. A.D. Grayson, Maj. E.A. Howell, Maj. George B. Hunt, Maj. (later Lt. Col.) James A. McNeely, and Lt. Col. James A. Pollard.

Big_Sarge
.224 member

Reged: 26/06/08
Loc: Mississippi
Re: A puzzling Civil War era hunting rifle [Re: Big_Sarge]
      #145325 - 07/11/09 12:25 PM

Here's a photo of another A.Wright & Co that sold at auction with a 48" octagon barrel and single set trigger.

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: A puzzling Civil War era hunting rifle [Re: Big_Sarge]
      #145328 - 07/11/09 02:05 PM

What's the diameter across the corners, that's the caliber.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
Re: A puzzling Civil War era hunting rifle [Re: DoubleD]
      #145431 - 09/11/09 02:59 AM

Xausa: Your friend certainly owns a fascinating rifle. Is it in shootable condition? Big Sarge: Thanks for your leg work on Adj. Mercer.

xausa
.400 member

Re: A puzzling Civil War era hunting rifle [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #145447 - 09/11/09 04:11 AM

It is not now in shootable condition. It needs some work on the stock, which is split at one place and missing wood at another. The fixtures around the barrel wedge are missing, but nothing that a competent stock maker could not handle. The patent breech needs to be removed and the barrel thoroughly cleaned. If it were mine, I think I would have the stock duplicated, rather than trying to do anything drastic to it.

I will get the groove diameter of the barrel the next time I have access to the rifle.

I will pass the historical information along to the owner, who I am sure will be most grateful for it.

Dphariss
.300 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Montana
Re: A puzzling Civil War era hunting rifle [Re: DoubleD]
      #145633 - 11/11/09 04:06 PM

Quote:

What's the diameter across the corners, that's the caliber.

Actually if its a round ball gun and it almost certainly is, the land to land is the caliber.
A 54 caliber ML barrel with .012" rifling is .564 in the grooves. But it will use a .530-.535 patched ball.

Dan

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: A puzzling Civil War era hunting rifle [Re: Dphariss]
      #146171 - 18/11/09 11:41 PM

That's a great rifle, worthy of restoration.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5244

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com