Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: BEST BARREL LENGTH FOR CZ .375

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
BEST BARREL LENGTH FOR CZ .375
      #145942 - 15/11/09 01:33 PM

Hi All,

I am wanting to upgrade my CZ550 in .375 with a Custom stock and I have been advised to re profile the barrel and shorten it to 23 ½” thus reducing the overall weight whilst I am at it. The action and trigger has already undergone a polish up and trigger lightened a tad. Has any member already done this sort of upgrade and if so, what profile number did you use for the barrel.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: BEST BARREL LENGTH FOR CZ .375 [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #145944 - 15/11/09 02:32 PM

I had a 550 in 6.5x55 I had CZ rebarrel to 9.3x62.

I chopped the stock, rasped a hog's back comb on it, removed the cheekpiece {I'm a southpaw}, and had CZ lop the 9.3 barrel to 19 inches. Then I mounted a side-sling-swivel affair for double shoulder "Biathlon" carry.

I like the 19 inch barrel. I get full-and-more 9.3x57 long-barrel velocities, which is no insult. I like it. Handles very well with old Burris 3x9 scoipe mounted in Warne QD rings or with the open sights.

The barrel is merely a standard 550 9.3x62 tube, chopped, with the Mannlicher carbine sights installed, making it pretty stiff for a stubby.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Re: BEST BARREL LENGTH FOR CZ .375 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #145956 - 15/11/09 07:27 PM

I would keep it at around 24", give or take a 1/4".

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: BEST BARREL LENGTH FOR CZ .375 [Re: ozhunter]
      #145963 - 15/11/09 10:26 PM

Quote:

I would keep it at around 24", give or take a 1/4".

I failed to ask what chapuisarmes' intent was for the rifle. If it is an all-rounder, I'd agree with oz, keep it longish as you will lose velocity shortening it much. If the gun will be limited to shorter-range shots on deer/elk/bear/moose size critters where you don't need max velocity in this caliber, go with the length that handles best for you.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #145964 - 15/11/09 10:38 PM

I figure this is a common length of barrel for cal 375H&H by makers the likes of HOLLAND&HOLLAND and since they are commonly believed to be one of the very best, why be different?

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: BEST BARREL LENGTH FOR CZ .375 [Re: ozhunter]
      #145967 - 15/11/09 10:53 PM

Quote:

why be different?

I had a whole host of reasons; it is a bear gun and easier to scramble in and out of the rig with a stubby tube than long, in the brush I use it in it is handier, and when strapped on my back with the double sling the muzzle doesn't rise above my head and get caught in the treeboughs when I'm snowshoing to the upper road thru the woods in the dark and carrying my skis in my arms. And for my purposes the loss of velocity is unnoticed. If it was an open-grounder, I'd not mind a full-length barrel at all.

--------------------

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #145969 - 15/11/09 11:12 PM

Hi 9.3x57

The rifle is for general use and hopefully for plains game in Africa if God is good to me but I have a few mobility problems and if it was possible to save a few ounces then as they say, "Every little bit helps"...

At this point of time I am looking for suggestions from knowledgeable people who has had or have a CZ550 as this will be my first. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

9.3x57
.450 member

#145972 - 16/11/09 01:04 AM

Sounds like a fun project.

Not barrel-related, but certainly CZ550-related is the extractor.

As with stock unmodified '98's, you may find the extractor does not slip over the rim of a cartridge dropped into the chamber by hand {not fed from the mag}. Some leave Mausers alone in this respect but I'd have that altered as I consider it a serious problem just waiting to happen {it has happened to me over the years with '98's}, i.e. if you fumble a load and the round goes up the spout, getting it out can be a bear or worse, impossible until a cleaning rod is introduced.

Another thing pertaining to the 9.3x62 is that it seems to be one fairly dramatically affected by the weight of the rifle. Since you spoke to the possibility of having a very light rifle this might be relevant. At standard or a little heavy weights common to sporters and specifically the CZ550, the recoil is relatively mild, but if the gun weight drops quite a bit you may find recoil to be unpleasant. If you don't mind that, it may be fine, but some fellows claim really light 9.3x62's are quite nasty kickers. Tho mine is stubby, it is not particularly light so I have not had that problem as kick speed seems slow tho I do get just barely kissed with the scope at times.

--------------------

EricD
.416 member

Reged: 27/02/04
      #145984 - 16/11/09 04:55 AM

I don't have a CZ, but I do have a 375H&H with a 25 inch barrel that I am planning on chopping down to 22 inches when I get around to it. The loss in velocity doesn't make all that much of a practical difference IMO at normal hunting ranges, and I've come to prefer shorter barrels which make rifles more handy.

My 9,3x62 is 19 inches for example, and I wouldn't want it any longer.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: BEST BARREL LENGTH FOR CZ .375 [Re: EricD]
      #146013 - 16/11/09 10:29 AM

G'Day Fella's,

Jeff, my best advice is don't do any thing to the barrel!

Sure, restock the rifle if it doesn't fit you etc but check out how well the rifle feels and handles prior to doing any thing as drastic (and non-reversible), such as re-profiling and shortening the barrel!

If the rifle currently shoots well, Don't Change a Thing!
If a barrel is re-profiled, it will also require Stress Relieving! So if you do one thing you need to do Both!
If you don't, the Non stress relieved barrel could walk its shots around the target as the barrel heats up.

If the rifle is to big or to heavy for you, sell it to a person that want's it As It Is and purchase a new and lighter Rem 700 SPS .375 H&H DGR rifle, for about $1150.00!!!

Fella's, in my experience more firearms a butchered by inexperienced owners or as a result of inexperienced "Friends" giving poor advice as to "What You Actually Need"!
It may work for your Friends but there's no guaranty, it will be any good for you?
Please, have some faith in the Firearm Manufactures!
Most of these manufactures have been in business for a Very Long Time and despite what some may think, they really do know what they are doing!!!

Most firearms are made to suit a Normal Sized person and while we are all basically the same, we are individuals.
A minor change to the Length of Pull of the stock will in my experience, solve most Poor Fitting firearms. To go any further in my experience is not a good idea!
That is unless you have a specific requirement that a Factory Firearm won't deliver.

My best advise is use your existing firearm More and Read Magazines etc and take advise from others Less!
That is until you have so much experience with a particular item, that you can form your own opinions!

HooRoo
From
Homer

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
Re: BEST BARREL LENGTH FOR CZ .375 [Re: Homer]
      #146016 - 16/11/09 11:48 AM

I took a Left Hand 1981 Remington 700 BDL 7MM and re-barreled it to a .375 with a PAC NOR #3 sporter at 23.5" Seems right.

The smith did a smashing job. Inleted forend to fit the barrel, mirror polished and rust blued the barrel.

A .375 H&H LH R700 BDL? Remington never made one!

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: BEST BARREL LENGTH FOR CZ .375 [Re: EricD]
      #146025 - 16/11/09 12:12 PM

Quote:

I don't have a CZ, but I do have a 375H&H with a 25 inch barrel that I am planning on chopping down to 22 inches when I get around to it. The loss in velocity doesn't make all that much of a practical difference IMO at normal hunting ranges, and I've come to prefer shorter barrels which make rifles more handy. ) [/quote
++++++++++++

Agree with the above--IMHO, there would not be that much loss in velocity under "normal" shooting ranges for a 375...and in tight jess in Africa--might be quite nice--have a 22" on my .416 and love it..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

#146034 - 16/11/09 12:45 PM

Quote:

Sure, restock the rifle if it doesn't fit you etc but check out how well the rifle feels and handles prior to doing any thing as drastic (and non-reversible), such as re-profiling and shortening the barrel!

My gunsmith friend re-turns and shortens, etc, barrels all the time. Even flutes them, which I personally think is more or less a waste of time. His retread barrels shoot very well and are not stress relieved. Not saying a barrel CAN'T be ruined, because they can be, but I will say that reprofiling or shortening a tube is not a guaranteed problem by any means.

I've personally put a hacksaw to some Lee-Enfields, a Ruger M77MKII and of course the gunsmith-lopped CZ mentioned. No problems at all, and all have shot very well indeed. My Ruger and CZ are particular favorites and all who handle them and shoot them make me an offer I always refuse.

--------------------

WyoJoe
.300 member

Reged: 18/02/04
Loc: Cheyenne, WY USA
      #146058 - 17/11/09 02:00 AM

Quote:

Fella's, in my experience more firearms a butchered by inexperienced owners or as a result of inexperienced "Friends" giving poor advice as to "What You Actually Need"!
It may work for your Friends but there's no guaranty, it will be any good for you?

That sounds like pretty good advice. My .375 goes against conventional wisdom in that it has a 26" barrel and weighs around 10 lbs. It works quite well for me.

--------------------
There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: BEST BARREL LENGTH FOR CZ .375 [Re: WyoJoe]
      #146127 - 18/11/09 09:35 AM

I think 24" is about ideal for a .375 bolt gun.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

RigbyUser
.275 member

Reged: 23/11/08
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: BEST BARREL LENGTH FOR CZ .375 [Re: CptCurl]
      #167479 - 09/09/10 10:22 PM

Understand your thought process, but not sure the big Brno needs to be cut. I own a 602 which was built prior to the 550. Either way mine handles well and the long barrel keeps the blast away from your ears. Remember, we are talking about 75 - 80 grains of powder going off each time you pull the trigger.

I also think the 25 inch barrel and the long action can really make the 375H&H perform. You don't need to seat to 3.6 inch but can go close to 3.8 inch. That means extra powder and the few extra inches of barrel make all the difference.

Now if you shoot the 375 as a DGR you can do with less length and you don't really need the extra speed, it may be counterproductive in this instance.

BUT, if your 375 is an allrounder and you shoot large game, the extra speed can make all the difference. A 300 grain Sierra boat tail at 2700 fps is an awesome large deer / antelope round. Check out the ballistics to 300 yards. Very impressive indeed. You can also do 250 - 260 grain bullets at 2850 -2900 fps in the Brno. So who needs a 340 Weatherby.

That's what you give up by cutting the barrel to short, you'll give up 35 - 50 fps. Non event on dangerous game, problematic with potential long range loads.

At the end of the day, your call.

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: BEST BARREL LENGTH FOR CZ .375 [Re: RigbyUser]
      #167511 - 10/09/10 02:23 PM

What were the barrel lengths of the original H&H bolt actions in .375 H&H? Wat years of study did they do with their African professionals and African hunting sportsmen that came up with "ideal" barrel lengths for steady aim, balance, swing and fit? I don't think the Animals or terrain have changed so much over the past 100 years. I read about the testing by experience the fine rifle makers did when developing their styles and ergonomics.
My .375 H&H (not short .375 any other mag.) has a 24 inch barrel. It balances well. It is a 1950's era FN commercial. My 9.3x 57 and 9.3x62 have 25 inch barrels (+ -). They balance well and carry well. I doubt that chopping off three inches or 4 will make a lot of difference in carrying. I do think it will make the rifle but heavy and will not settle on the target and sights as naturally with the shorter barrel. MHO.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Rolf
.333 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: Germany, Bavaria
Re: BEST BARREL LENGTH FOR CZ .375 [Re: RigbyUser]
      #167753 - 14/09/10 08:24 PM

Gentlemen,

my comment on this topic because I had this question also...

I have a Sako in .375 H&H which had a 61cm barrel (ca. 24").
For I am not a big person the handling of the rifle was not feeling "right" for me.

I ordered the barrel to be shortened to 56cm (ca. 22"), and now the rifle handling has much improved (muzzle diameter is about 17,5mm / .69").

I use medium burning powders (i.e. Kemira N140) for the .375 H&H, so the energy loss and the muzzle flash are also ok (Hornady 270grs SP, Sierra 250grs and 300grs SP).
If you intend to use slow powders (like Reloader 19) for the .375 H&H, I would recommend you stick with the original barrel length.

best regards
Rolf

Rockdoc
.400 member

Reged: 07/12/06
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: BEST BARREL LENGTH FOR CZ .375 [Re: Rolf]
      #167776 - 15/09/10 11:38 AM

I don't think H&H had a standard length. In my post on my 1913 H&H 375H&H takedown I stated that the barrel length was 23 1/2" long, I was wrong, it is 22 1/4" and fits the case as such. It is such a svelte looking rifle that the barrel length seemed longer. Fit and balance matter more than a set barrel length to me. Having handled and shot 375 H&H Brno's and CZ's, as well as MOD 70 Expresses, I prefer a lighter rifle that balances well and fits me, which also means a longer LOP for me.

I am also building a 375H&H on a Mod70 action, will have similar length barrel to my H&H in a similar profile, a knockabout rifle in an Echols Legend stock (flame on mentioning synthetics!). I was also considering a Pac Nor #3 profile, which would be suitable.

Cheers, Chris

Edited by RockDoc (15/09/10 11:48 AM)

balule
.224 member

Reged: 07/09/09
Loc: South Africa
Re: BEST BARREL LENGTH FOR CZ .375 [Re: Rockdoc]
      #167986 - 18/09/10 10:29 PM

Barrel length on my 1990 BRNO 375H&H has been reduced from 25" to 21" without re-contouring. Chronographed velocity dropped from 2530fps to 2480fps. We live in a modern world where rifles are loaded into vehicles and aircraft constantly. The 4" difference makes that much easier. At 2480fps I have recovered only 1 solid bullet in 19 shots at buffalo and elephant. The rest penetrated straight through. The barrel is long enough when the rifle handles sweetly and velocity is adequate for the task at hand.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7576

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com