Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Made a Case for Pedersoli Double

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
bp72double
.224 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Arkansas USA
Made a Case for Pedersoli Double
      #145716 - 12/11/09 02:24 PM

Well, I decided to try my hand at making a gun case for my Pedersoli .72 double rifle. I've always admired cased guns, with the accessories having their own place etc. so I made one. It's only pine, nothing exotic as this was my first attempt ;-) but it was fun and it is actually pretty functional. There are several hidden compartments too, for extra supplies or not-so-presentation-grade things like a good greasy rag to wipe it down with after handling. Still have to design a good label for the inside of the lid, too!

[image]http://fringeofthebellcurve.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Creations/10291031_D55h7#710764467_poqf2[/image]

The buffalo is actually a woodburn done with a simple woodburning tool:
[image]http://fringeofthebellcurve.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Creations/10291031_D55h7#710764949_ZiMxi-A-LB[/image]

[image]http://fringeofthebellcurve.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Creations/10291031_D55h7#710765982_r4weF-A-LB[/image]
Here's a detail of the leather handle:

[image]http://fringeofthebellcurve.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Creations/10291031_D55h7#710765471_qNxvf-A-LB[/image]

Ok, hope all that comes out OK. My first post here with pix :-)

Richard

Ok, in case I don't get this right, here is the URl for the pix:
http://fringeofthebellcurve.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Creations/10291031_D55h7#710765982_r4weF

Edited by bp72double (12/11/09 02:37 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Made a Case for Pedersoli Double [Re: bp72double]
      #145731 - 12/11/09 09:00 PM

Hi bp72Double,

What do you do for a "Crust" (work) as that is a very nice piece of work, I love the way you done the Buffalo and the corners. Well done.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

BillfromOregon
.333 member

Reged: 27/10/04
Loc: Sweetwater, by God Texas
Re: Made a Case for Pedersoli Double [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #145744 - 13/11/09 01:46 AM

BP: Very nice job! It will be a tough act to follow when I build a case for my Kodiak .58. Thanks for showing off your fine work.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Made a Case for Pedersoli Double [Re: BillfromOregon]
      #145752 - 13/11/09 03:37 AM

Nice case, BP72- time to re-finish the stock on the rifle to do justice to the case. A lit darker stain would be nice, I think.

The muzzle pics are a bit too fuzzy for me to see clearly, but looks as if a bit of re-crown is in order. This would make the rifle a lot easier to load with heavier patches and prevent cutting the cloth. This 're-crown' will allow tigher combinations which will shoot with better accuracy and won't allow fouling buildup between shots. Crowning is easily acomplished with a bit of 320 grit emery cloth, shoved against the muzzle with your thumb. Rotate the barrel every few seconds and the result is a rounded crown without sharp edges that allows tighter combinations which shoot more cleanly and improve accuracy.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

bufallo
.224 member

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: Slovakia
      #145798 - 13/11/09 05:27 PM

very nice case... I have Kodiak too, but .58...
bullet mould is old or new??? cal. 72 ???
wood is nice, or crocodile leather is better... :-)
http://img141.yfrog.com/i/dscn7550.jpg/

Edited by bufallo (13/11/09 05:36 PM)

bp72double
.224 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Arkansas USA
Re: Made a Case for Pedersoli Double [Re: bufallo]
      #145903 - 15/11/09 01:52 AM

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm actually a chiropractic neurologist, but do a lot of other things for fun. Daryl-I guess the muzzle pix are really not good enough; sorry for that. If you read my post on crowning tools, you'll read about what I used. I'll add a pic of the tool to smugmug. There's about a 1.5" deep cone in both of those barrels, with the last maybe 1/2" having practically no rifling at all. I did this following one of your previous posts on crowning (just wanted a tool more accurate than my thumb ;-) and it is waaay easier to load a tightly patched load. That makes me feel better about shooting big loads. I've shot this gun with 165g Goex 2f and a patched ball, and the left barrel load doesn't budge at all after shooting the right. No signs of pressure problems at all, and the recoil wasn't too bad, to me. I had a bolt action 50bmg for a while, and I think it raised the bar on what I consider recoil and muzzle blast. The muzzle brake did tame most of the recoil, but....both 32db earplugs AND good muffs were not nearly enough-bad headache after a dozen shots or so. Like having a concussion just from the overpressure. That's why I sold the BMG, but now every other gun I shoot seems kinda tame! I really am enjoying the Pedersoli. This winter's project (well, one of them) will be to try out some shorter nipples to maybe compensate for the low fences on the breech.
thanks!
Richard

ps-can any of you more experienced fellows let me in on the secret to posting pix here? I thought I followed the directions, but obviously still goofed!

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
      #145916 - 15/11/09 07:22 AM

Excellent work BP!!! Thanks for sharing.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4102

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com