Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Young Mick got amongst them

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Young Mick got amongst them
      #145644 - 11/11/09 07:45 PM

Mick is a mate that hunts sambar with me (he took a ripper stag last year)I in turn hunt red deer with him in Nsw and now he has just come back from the top end with Ben another mate that was here with Mick chasing sambar with me a month or so ago. Anyway read about it on the link,It might surprise a few members just how "game rich" Australia can be...no guides no fee`s no trophy fee`s,just fun.

Im not sure if you need to be a member though to view the heap of game taken. A dozen or more BIG boars,donkeys,horses,scrub bulls and a couple of buff as well.

'mickgibbo' date='Nov 2009'

I have cut this down to make it forum size and Swado will add his accounts as well in a seperate post. Im trying to get the full article published hence this cut down version.

After a quick phone call to a mate working at a station in the Northern Territory the all clear to come up and have a hunt and fish was confirmed, the good thing about this station was that it had never let hunters on so the game was hopefully going to be plentiful. Striking while the iron was hot a date was set flights and hire car was booked so the only thing left was to turn up on the day. For Ben and myself the date seemed so far away, so the time was spent fine tuning gear and making sure I had everything I needed for the trip. Squeezing both my rifles and gear into 20kg luggage restriction proved impossible so 5kg's was added on for the trip. My rifle of choice for the trip was a Ruger African Hawkee in 375 Ruger and Ben's was a Browning A-Bolt in 270WSM.

My gear for the trip

The day finally arrived and having pre approval to travel with firearms made getting there as simple as ever, Jet star were extremely professional and were hassle free at check in. We arrived to a very dark station and luckily guessed my mates room due to a cleaning rod being at the door, he was expecting up the next night.

The station was about 50km's by 50km's so we spent the first day just on main tracks and hunting off water bores as they were easy enough to navigate too.

Pig that got his ass slapped on video after a short stalk in

First boar for the trip

Shot the Highland Ammo pig

That night we headed out to the river for some fishing and to set up a camp as this would be the area that we would spend most the time camping from as it had water and fish and was slightly cooler in the night. We were taken out by one of Nathan's mates on the station Freddy who knew the pace like the back of his hand, he was a keen pig hunter with a serious collection of trophy hooks. He hunts with 1 dog and never lets the dog run on anything under 100kg, we pulled up to a carcass that had 5 pigs between 80-90kg at just 7m away, the dog didn't even flinch and we just moved on looking for a big boar, I could not believe the control and obedience of the dog, not to mention how hard it was looking at pictures at what it had taken this year.

That night we did a heap of fishing and Ben managed a nice barra for his troubles, the river was unbelievable and whilst crossing the falls with the headlamp on I was looking at crusing 1m barra just hunting in the moonlight. The crossing's were very slippery and the sets of eyes watching us was a little unsettling at times when you slipped in. It was hard to stop fishing but after little sleep the night before and a nice barra to cook up it was time to make a fire and have a fresh cook up. The barra was put in foil with some oil and salt and was absolutely sensational.

Freddy and his hook collection

The morning came way to quick we headed out from camp to a spot that hadn't been hunted at all, we were hoping that there would be some Buffalo hanging around as there was a spring that was running into a creek system. It was looking like the goods straight off the mark, but not for Buff as there wasn't a mark in sight, it was going to be a pig area more than anything by the looks of it.

We had only walked 50m when Ben spotted a bedded boar of about 100kg, the video and camera was set up and Ben soon had the pig on the deck, this was a great start and the rest of the area was just screaming pig with well shaded creek areas with lots of wallows and muddy pools.

We continued to walk along the creek to find monster hog after monster hog. I got to one spot that had a very solid boar sitting in the wall of the creek with what we thought was a sow next to it as all we could see was its head, we left the sows alone on this trip and were only targeting pigs 100kg and bigger. These pigs I don't believe have seen humans as they were far too easy to get right up and on top of, even when disturbed they would only break half the time. I shot the big boar out of the creek wall when the pig next to it just looked at it and put its head back down, we soon realised that this was another big boar and Ben took the other boar as well. The creek then exploded with another big boar taking off that I shot on the run down the creek. We had shot 360kg plus of boars in a 10m stretch of creek.

This pig was the smallest I shot but had the best hook I have seen, the other was snapped unfortunately

Typical river country scene

More to be added later.

Edited by NitroX (12/11/09 03:49 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gryphon
.450 member

Re: Young Mick got amongst them [Re: gryphon]
      #145645 - 11/11/09 07:50 PM

quote : we shot 13 solid pigs for about 1500kg of pork for the day and we let just as many go that were just under the 100kg mark and had a ball doing it.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

Reged: 26/02/04
Loc: Australia
      #145676 - 11/11/09 11:54 PM

Sure was a great hunt Mick did - probably a better hunt than many NT locals would have experienced! Shame he lost his buffalo - just goes to show how durable, tenacious and crafty they can be...

well done Mick!!

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Young Mick got amongst them [Re: Matt_Graham]
      #145694 - 12/11/09 07:17 AM

One must assume that he didnt hit it in the right place though he was using 300 grainer`s in a 375 Ruger but then last year he took a great sambar stag that was rubbing a tree and he took it with the same rifle,a shot side on through the shoulder,that stag ran like he wasnt hit at all and Mick had such a look of open mouthed surprise at that scene when the stag ran I will never forget it,I know as I was right alongside him the whole time,just goes to show how durable and tenacious they can be...

Of course that stags time was up from the moment the bullet hit ,with the b/bull he shot for a one/two shot kill he must not have hit it in the 'zone' as if indeed he had the bull would be on the wall.

Nitro is going to copy it over so the other members can have a read.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #145722 - 12/11/09 03:50 PM

First two parts added here with Mick Gibbo's permission. Enjoy.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Young Mick got amongst them [Re: NitroX]
      #145729 - 12/11/09 07:54 PM

Great pics, thx, when I went in July I couldn't believe how good the fishing was !! Incredible, best, Mike

ovny
.375 member

Reged: 19/06/08
Loc: Spain
Re: Young Mick got amongst them [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #145733 - 12/11/09 09:55 PM

Good specimens of wild boar, congratulations.

Oscar.

--------------------
I am Spanish

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

#145740 - 13/11/09 12:19 AM

Quote:

One must assume that he didnt hit it in the right place though he was using 300 grainer`s in a 375 Ruger but then last year he took a great sambar stag that was rubbing a tree and he took it with the same rifle,a shot side on through the shoulder,that stag ran like he wasnt hit at all and Mick had such a look of open mouthed surprise at that scene when the stag ran I will never forget it,I know as I was right alongside him the whole time,just goes to show how durable and tenacious they can be...

Of course that stags time was up from the moment the bullet hit ,with the b/bull he shot for a one/two shot kill he must not have hit it in the 'zone' as if indeed he had the bull would be on the wall.

assume away ... but I have seen them go a very long way with half their heart shot out and quickly. He sure gave Mick the slip in the river...

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

gryphon
.450 member

#145762 - 13/11/09 07:08 AM

Actually theres not much of an assumption there at all it`s patently obvious that he didnt hit it in the heart

quote :After a Km of very nervous tracking. End Qu:

Heart shot animals can indeed put on a burst but wont ever go a bloody kilometre as there is no blood left to push them!
Your line "assume away" shows that you havent been paying attn Matt.

--------------------

Matt_Graham
Sponsor

#145777 - 13/11/09 10:25 AM

Quote:

Actually theres not much of an assumption there at all it`s patently obvious that he didnt hit it in the heart

quote :After a Km of very nervous tracking. End Qu:

Heart shot animals can indeed put on a burst but wont ever go a bloody kilometre as there is no blood left to push them!
Your line "assume away" shows that you havent been paying attn Matt.

Well I have seen a heart-shot buffalo go more than one km. Admittedly it's heart was not totally smashed but most definitely punctured.

Even so, let's say his shot went a little high and missed the top of the heart and major arteries and only took one lung (this was a frontal shot...no?). The result would likely be very similar to what Mick experienced, given that there were no other major structural injuries from the shot - a buffalo can actually survive on only one lung. Would you call that a bad shot???

I can only speak on these matters from personal and sometimes bitter experience, with these large tough critters...

Have you expressed your opinion to mick that his shots were not good? From his private correspondence with me it seems that he is expecting his buffalo turns up dead thereabouts.

--------------------
www.huntaust.com.au

gryphon
.450 member

#145789 - 13/11/09 03:18 PM

(edited)

I talk to Mick on the phone rather often and email contact is basically daily, we are both keen hunters and I will have a good long yarn about all this in our next phone convo..

I have time for people that do hunt and can hunt Mick`s one of them,thats why he is one of the few that gets a guernsey to stay at my home and hunt down here.

--------------------

Edited by NitroX (14/11/09 04:09 PM)

gryphon
.450 member

#145797 - 13/11/09 05:19 PM

Just got off the phone from young Mick after an hour`s yarning and the consensus of opinion is that his bullet more than likely was a smidge off centre and thus took a leading edge of one shoulder,he suggests this happened as Swado videoed it all and the bull drops front end but to one side.. he`s the boys will find him in the river though.

Anyway he will join NE and speak for himself...he is rather disappointed in regards to the woodleigh round nose protected points,something that he can elaborate on.

I believe from memory that this was raised on NE not too long ago also.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#145803 - 13/11/09 05:57 PM

Third Part of Young Mick's hunt story ...
reproduced here with permission

'mickgibbo' report continued ...

We continued along the creek with some great boars and some nice hooks being taken along the way, we were taking the jaws from most the pigs as not only was it a chance to get some extra water in but it was a good break from the 45 Degrees days that we were stalking in. Along the way we saw, donkey, clean skin cattle and wild horses.

We got to one spot that had a very even browse line that was giving a few 100m of shape, this spot was just loaded with pigs, there would have been at least 20 solid pigs under there with a majority being big boars. We not long after found a similar set of trees where I shot a very solid pig that was also hanging with another group of boars.

Where the big mob of pigs were living

It was very hard country to hunt in the 40 degree days, the river water was average but was saving us big time

Unfortunately the spot didn't hold Buffalo but it certainly did hold some great boars, we shot 13 solid pigs for about 1500kg of pork for the day and we let just as many go that were just under the 100kg mark and had a ball doing it.

We were instructed by the boss to shoot any donkeys or horses that we see along our travels and that day we had walked past quite a few, so we both took a wild horse each and and a few donkeys when we hit the dry country again. The stalk was easy on these animals as the grass was very long and easy to hide in. The grass in most spots was just below eye line so stalking through was not a problem, the only problem was there was a good chance of getting run over by something. I shoulder shot a stallion which went straight down to a 300gr Woodleigh.

That afternoon we sat on a edge of scrub that we had seen some young clean skin bulls hanging around the day before, we glassed over the area but couldn't see anything worth taking, after a short rest and glass I spotted a big clean skin bull come out but it didn't have any head gear, then moments later a nice jet black bull stepped out with a nice looking set of horns. I picked my wind and way to get closer, I got into shooting range but the bull seemed to know he was targeted as he kept weaving in and out of the cows which at first seemed like cover but we was just checking them all out. The herd then spooked and I got a running shot into his shoulder, the 300gr projectile had pulled him up and a follow up shot put the bull down. The bull was in great condition considering the cattle in the area were fairly poor. He was a nice looking bull for my first and his horns were taken for a horn mount in my bar.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#145804 - 13/11/09 06:00 PM

That night the other boys met us at the river for some beers and some fishing, it was a very balmy night with a bright full moon lighting the water up. There seemed to be good barramundi everywhere but nothing would bite. After hundreds of casts I tried another hole that was below the falls where Ben had spotted a handy barra having a rest. After a heap of casts right on his nose he finally took the lure giving a nice fight in a tight pond, I was wrapped to have landed my first barra and after a heap of photos he was filleted and cooked on the fire.

My first Barramundi, it was still sinking hot at 11pm at night

Once again lack of marks and how dry the area was suggested that they were no longer here as well so they day was spent hunting big boars and a few donkeys. We walked up on a mob of pigs that were in the shade of a fallen tree, these were the first bunch of sows that we had seen and the group was about 10 big. Ben spotted a good boar at the back of them and let him have it, there were pigs going everywhere and we managed to get some decent video of the event.

I got to a nice section of creek that divided 3 ways and was quite wet in the guts of it, I found a minute fresh wallow and started looking for the pig, I looked around a corner and there he was standing in the middle of the creek. I shoulder shot him on the spot and he managed to run to the other side of the creek. He was a very solid boar so I pulled him from the creek and started removing his jaws.

After a few minutes of cutting the jaws were off and I heard a noise and looked up to be staring 2m from the head of a 120kg plus boar that I had woken from his concealed wallow in the side of the bank, this pig wasn't happy and quickly exploded from the wallow. I jumped behind a forked tree where he just missed me, I lost my feet on some wet rocks and ended up in the creek with nothing but my knife. He stopped about 5 m from us looking back when I quickly just pointed the rifle at him without sighting and fired as there was no time to play around. The shot took a large chunk out of his back and he then took off down the creek. It was a close encounter that was a good learning experience in this country as these big boars can come from anywhere and don't like being blocked, it was a good wake up call and I was glad that my rifle was loaded in a safe place with the safety on in reach.

Hidden wallow where I nearly got smashed by the pig

His smller mate

The next day we headed to the back corner for one last go at at a Buffalo and to say the going was rough getting out there was an understatement it took what seemed like hours to go just 10kms, and it was a very rocky tight run that had only seen at best a handfull of cars on it over the years. On arriving to the corner we started a stalk and I quickly spotted some buffalo heading to water about 800m away.

We headed into the river where it quickly exploded with 4 Buffalo running down away from us, it was a great scene seeing these monsters just smashing everything in their path. They had crossed at this point and Ben quickly took a shot with the 270WSM hitting the lead bull in the head, stoping it but didnt drop it. I had made it to his point and shot a smaller one on the run with 2 quick shots from the 375 Ruger, it dropped the animal quickly. Bens was still standing there, so to stop the risk of it running I put the animal down with a shot to the chest. The 2 younger ones with them wouldnt move on but after a long wait they got the idea.

Young one looking on

Edited by NitroX (13/11/09 06:04 PM)

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#145805 - 13/11/09 06:04 PM

Last part of Mick's report ....

We soon spotted 6 more buff 3 small bulls and 3 others in the shade of the river bed, they were fairly undisturbed but soon moved on in a stampede when they worked out they were being watched. It was a great sight stalking animals this big and suprisingly quite alert.

After an hours walking through super tight river country that was just littered with sign a good bull was spotted on the other side of the river , I quickly got into a position to put a shot of him where I didn't have 50m of vegetation to shoot through. It was a good looking Bull that was standing its ground, I slowly moved into position and put a well placed shot into its chest (the HD video of the shot proved this to be the case), the bull lurched and run to the right where I put another one in it and then it disappeared. I waited a while and then headed over to where I was expecting to find the animal to only find a blood trail from 2 holes, at this point I was shocked that it had taken another step but it was going to have to be tracked slowly.

The tracking was easy but dangerous as it was heading parallel to the river through head high grass, it was like someone was painting a line through the grass at shoulder height and there were steady drops coming from the chest shot as well. I had found a point where the animal had sat and then pumped out a good amount of blood, I must have pushed him from this spot which I am glad as I would have never seen him coming. After a Km of very nervous tracking I heard a commotion in the water so quickly went down to just see that the river had been disturbed. I found a heap of wet blood on the ground entering the river but he never came out. It went in at the deep section but didn't make it to the other side. We went a km up each side and not a mark was cut or another drop was found on the edge. It appeared that he went to cross with what he had left and didn't make it. With light fading and the croc's in the area a search through the river was impossible so it had to be left there for my mate to hopefully find when it floats. We had to leave that night and the track in was impossible to drive on at night as it was near impossible in the daylight so unfortunately couldn't wait for it to float that's if something hadn't got to it before us anyway as the whole strip had crocs constantly diving in.

The big boy that got taken by the river

This concluded a hunt that we will remember for ever, I was lucky enough to get at least one of everything I was after and couldn't thank my mate Nathan enough for what he provided us with for the price of an airplane ticket and car hire, not to mention the use of his car and equipment. The trip in total cost me $750 thats with beer and food, you couldnt ask for a better way to spend that money. I managed to get quite a few first which included Buff, Srub Bull, Donkey, Horse and Barra and I also got my biggest pig and hooks to date. Next year was already booked in but unfortunately will be on a different station, the hunting was a lot different to my usual deer hunting but was a style that I really enjoyed.

Some Bullet performance

The 300gr RN PP opened up dramatically and here is an example on a 120kg Pig that was shoulder shot.

Weight results

Woodleigh 63% Weight Retention
Nosler (have to check forgot this one, less then the woodleigh)

The 260gr Nosler Accubond didnt open up quite as much and lost a majority of its core, this was taken out of a shoulder shot Donkey.

The two side by side

This bullet testing showed me one thing, and thats field testing on the game that you are chasing can not be matched as the results I had previous to this on smaller game was dramatically different.

Unfortunately I didnt get to test the new Hydros but with some more range testing they will be used heavily on the next trip as all I will be targeting will be Buff and Bulls.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #145807 - 13/11/09 06:27 PM

Hi Young Mick,

Well done, it looks like you would have memories for life just out of this one hunt and yet you have all those hunting years ahead of you.. All I can say is that your one lucky "Bugger" I think your right and that Buffalo is in or near the river. Is there any possibility to have one of your "Local's" have another look as those horns are very respectfull. Again well done.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

MickGibbo
.224 member

Reged: 13/11/09
Loc: Sutherland, NSW, Australia
Re: Young Mick got amongst them [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #145871 - 14/11/09 08:59 AM

Thanks for the comments fellas, and I also hope that the boys pick him up for me, there is a good chance that they will pending on a day off and the rain holding off as its right out the back.

It was a hard time of the year to hunt on foot as we did but I wouldnt change the experience for anything.

As mentioned I was a little suprised with the Woodleigh weight retention and penetration and found that the bullets expanded very well, but were shedding a lot of weight and rarely passing through the pigs, donkeys or horses. I would be keen to here other peoples experiences here.

I was running a 300gr PP SN load in the 375 ruger doing 2600fps muzzel Velocity, the load was selected as it was extremely accurate keeping 3 shot 3/4 inch groups. I would have expected this velocity to rise slightly as I had a round chambered and safety on the whole trip and there were times I slug my rifle over my shoulder and the barell was extremely hot in those 42 degree days.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Re: Young Mick got amongst them [Re: MickGibbo]
      #145888 - 14/11/09 04:06 PM

Michael,

Welcome to NE.

Loved your story and the photos. Makes me determined to get back there either next year, or failing that 2011.

Well done. Great hunt.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #145897 - 15/11/09 12:26 AM

Mick,drop the MV of your bullets to around 2400 FPS and you will find better bullet weight retention and penetration
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

Drew_Jaeger
.275 member

Reged: 27/09/09
Loc: Southern Tablelands, NSW, Aust...
      #146045 - 16/11/09 10:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the comments fellas, and I also hope that the boys pick him up for me, there is a good chance that they will pending on a day off and the rain holding off as its right out the back.

It was a hard time of the year to hunt on foot as we did but I wouldnt change the experience for anything.

As mentioned I was a little suprised with the Woodleigh weight retention and penetration and found that the bullets expanded very well, but were shedding a lot of weight and rarely passing through the pigs, donkeys or horses. I would be keen to here other peoples experiences here.

I was running a 300gr PP SN load in the 375 ruger doing 2600fps muzzel Velocity, the load was selected as it was extremely accurate keeping 3 shot 3/4 inch groups. I would have expected this velocity to rise slightly as I had a round chambered and safety on the whole trip and there were times I slug my rifle over my shoulder and the barell was extremely hot in those 42 degree days.

Absolutely sensational write up with excellent photos MG. That was indeed an adventure of a lifetime. I got a laugh with slapping a bush pig on the arse. Pity about your Buffalo bull mate. Do you know if he ended up floating to the surface? I would loved to have seen the terminal performance of the new 300gr Woodleigh Hydrostatic Solids.

I thought you were using 300gr Woodleigh RNSNs?

--------------------
Cheers

Drew

MickGibbo
.224 member

Re: Young Mick got amongst them [Re: Drew_Jaeger]
      #146092 - 17/11/09 05:43 PM

Cheers Alan I'm going to have a big play over the coming year and that will be someting I keep in mind. What's peoples opinions about the pp sn and rn sn differences.

MickGibbo
.224 member

#146093 - 17/11/09 05:47 PM

Thanks for all the comments, I will be sure to use this forum more frequently. I liked the top end experience and will definately be back.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
      #146097 - 17/11/09 11:10 PM

Personally I use round nose softs and solids by Woodleigh in my 375 and have never had a problem.
The solid is usually the second round into the chamber just for insurance when hunting buff or bulls.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

#146157 - 18/11/09 05:19 PM

Quote:

Cheers Alan I'm going to have a big play over the coming year and that will be someting I keep in mind. What's peoples opinions about the pp sn and rn sn differences.

I've used a 300 gr (375) RNSP on cape buffalo and on scrub bull and the 286 gr (9.3) PPSP on a number of water buffalo, scrub bull etc.

Can't say I've seen the difference in the effect on the animal but haven't cut a lot of them out to see how they performed. They seemed to perform adequately however.

Used a 300 gr FMJ on the cape buff as well and it zipped straight through his shoulders including the heart an ricocheted into the distance.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 87 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5817

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com