Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Smith & Wesson Pre-War Heavy Duty (Pre-Model 20)

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
Checkman
.333 member

Reged: 15/03/08
Loc: Idaho
Smith & Wesson Pre-War Heavy Duty (Pre-Model 20)
      #145419 - 09/11/09 02:09 AM

I was at a local pawn shop a couple weeks ago and I came across a pre-war Heavy Duty with a 5" barrel. In very good condition. Bore very clean. Timing is good, no endshake and diamond magna grips. The Magnas are not period correct however. I believe they are are from the years immediately following World War II. All the serial numbers on the revolver match. It appears that the frame and barrel have been refinished, but not the cylinder.

The price on the tag was $400. Naturally I had to get it.I didn't even attempt to haggle since it was already a very reasonable price so I just paid it. Serial number is 526**. The standard catalog serial number list shows that it was manufactured in 1938. Might be worth paying for a factory letter.

You just don't find Heavy Duty and Outdoorsman revolvers in Idaho. At least that's been my experience.

[/image]

[/image]

[image}http://i36.tinypic.com/mjbbcp.jpg[/IMG][/image]

[/image]

[/image]

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Checkman
.333 member

Re: Smith & Wesson Pre-War Heavy Duty (Pre-Model 20) [Re: Checkman]
      #145421 - 09/11/09 02:12 AM

If you are interested in reading more about the 38/44 Heavy Duty here is a well written article that I found.

http://www.cruffler.com/Features/AUG-01/historic-august01.html

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #145439 - 09/11/09 03:28 AM

Nice catch and nice price!!!

I've owned a couple 20's and KY Imports brought in a bunch a few years ago.

An interesting gun from an interesting period.

BTW, ISP in its infancy issued them, but they are rare as hen's teeth. I actually did some digging and spoke to an armorer who said the Troopers were allowed to take their service revolvers with them when the HD's were rotated out in the early '60's. I believe they had to purchase them from the Dept, IIRC.

Unless yours is import marked, could it be an old ISP gun?????

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Checkman
.333 member

Re: Smith & Wesson Pre-War Heavy Duty (Pre-Model 20) [Re: 9.3x57]
      #145444 - 09/11/09 03:49 AM

That is an excellent question and one that I have no answer to.There is no importer stamp on the weapon. Now I have an even better reason to pay Roy Jinks to do a letter on it.

My father is retired Idaho State Police (1973-1994). When he was hired on he was issued a 4 screw S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman. When ISP switched to the S&W Model 65 in 1979 he purchased the 28. In 1991, when ISP switched to to the S&W Model 4586, he purchased the Model 65. And finally, when he retired in 94, he was presented with the 4586 as a retirement gift.

Of those three the 4586 is the only one that is marked. They laser engraved dad's years of service his call sign and the ISP emblem. The 28 and 65 are unmarked. I don't think they even have ISP engraved on them anywhere though I'll need to check.

I also have a S&W M&P Model of 1905 3rd Change with a 6" barrel. The serial number gives it a rough date of birth of 1912. Another one that I'm seriously considering having a letter done on.

Love those old S&W revolvers. I really like to imagine what they might have gone through.

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #145445 - 09/11/09 03:53 AM

No, I'm not jealous.

Congratulations, and yes, sir, you are a lucky man!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Checkman
.333 member

Re: Smith & Wesson Pre-War Heavy Duty (Pre-Model 20) [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #145449 - 09/11/09 04:53 AM

Thanks. I also own a Model of 1950 Outdoorsman. My holy grail of S&W revolvers would have to be a Registered Magnum though I'll settle for a post-WWII five screw .357 magnum with any length barrel. Beggers can't be choosers after all.

Doubt I'll ever see one for sale, but then over the past few years I've stumbled across an MR-73, P08 Luger, Webley Mk VI and the Heavy Duty so never say never.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2324

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com