Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Weatherby dangerous game rifle?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
grandveneur
.400 member

Reged: 21/09/08
Loc: France / Germany
Re: Weatherby dangerous game rifle? [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #153582 - 13/02/10 10:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The critique of the .416 /.460 Weatherbys has always been that people show up with them that cannot shoot them. A .416 Weatherby has been one of the first rifles I have shot as an absolute beginner in shooting and it was not problem mastering it. You do have to get used to them however, and I suspect that the 'failures' amongst its users simply did not practice at all and thought the caliber's power would do their work for them even if they couldn't shoot properly. In good hand, the .416 especially, is a very useful and versatile gun.

Agreed. Putting the .416 and .460 aside, people show up at camps all over the world with mild mannered .243s, .270s, and .300s, that cannot shoot them either. That axiom applies to any firearm; if you can't handle the caliber best suited to hunt the game you want to hunt, then hunt something else.

I agree ! If you cannot handle a 416WM or a 460WM leave the people alone that can shoot it and hunt smaller game !

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Weatherby dangerous game rifle? [Re: grandveneur]
      #153584 - 13/02/10 11:33 PM

At the risk of trotting out the same old argument, IMHO a DGR (dangerous game rifle) should have controlled round feeding (a la M70 or M98), although admittedly less of an issue with a DRR (dangerous rock rifle)!
For a DRR I would consider a sniper rifle in .338 Lapua, .416 Barrett or .50 BMG.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Weatherby dangerous game rifle? [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #153603 - 14/02/10 02:28 AM

Quote:

At the risk of trotting out the same old argument, IMHO a DGR (dangerous game rifle) should have controlled round feeding (a la M70 or M98), although admittedly less of an issue with a DRR (dangerous rock rifle)!

I agree with the above, but have done numerous hunts for DG in Africa with push-feed --NO problems..ironically, of the 3 cases I am personally aware of where there was an issue, they were controlled round feed..wierd I know as I do plan to take a controlled round feed next time in my personal favorite caliber--the .416 Rem --I recently ordered a new Winchester "African" model which is a controlled round feed, pre-64 type action..suppose to arrive in late March or early April of this year..will let you know how it works..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

mikeh416Rigby
.450 member

Reged: 24/02/03
Loc: The beautiful Oley Valley, PA....
Re: Weatherby dangerous game rifle? [Re: Nframe]
      #153615 - 14/02/10 05:32 AM

Over the years I've shot quite a few different Weatherby's. IMHO the worst ones for felt recoil were the 378 and the 460. They really waffled me good! I had no problem with the 416. I don't own any Weatherby's now. My "big bores" are a 375 H&H, 375 Ackley Improved, and a 416 Rigby.

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Weatherby dangerous game rifle? [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #153662 - 14/02/10 05:06 PM

G'Day Fella's,

I had to laugh at NitroX/John's comment on 460 Weatherby's.

How often have you blokes read an advert for some Hard Kicking rifle where it reads;
"For Sale, .483 Remchester Shoulder Slammer as new. Comes with a box of 17 unfired factory cartridges"!!!

How did this come to be?
First shot was??? Wow, was that Really as BAD as I think it was?
Second shot was confirmation, Yes, that Really Was That BAD!
Then, the third shot was fired by a mate of his, that has not spoken to him since!!!

Unfortunately, the poor naive bastard was "Sold a Pup" by the prick, he purchased it from.

There are a couple of Very Old sayings that apply to these types of purchases;
"Let The Buyer Beware" and "A Fool and his Money will soon be Parted"

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Matthew
.224 member

Reged: 27/08/09
Loc: Bend, OR
Re: Weatherby dangerous game rifle? [Re: Homer]
      #153857 - 16/02/10 05:55 AM

As to the question, I currently have a 460 Weatherby, my second one as I stupidly sold the first. It kills rocks and deer like there is no tomorrow! I do not feel that rocks are dangerous game, nor are deer so I do not worry about the controled round feeding issues although I have never had an issue or a jam with and of the 4 Weatherbys I have owned. If I go to Africa I will take my 600 OK or my possibly my .458 Win or Lott but leave the Weatherby home. For rocks, deer, and elk I do not think the 460 Weatherby can be beat, but I like them! I also really like the very fast and humane kills that it makes in north american game. If you have always wanted one, buy one, you can always sell it later if you do not like it and they hold value. I have a friend who keeps pestering me to sell him mine.

I used to have a Ruger 416, and I did not like it. It shot great but the fit and finish was not what I felt it should be for a $1000 ( at the time, first run) rifle. The annoyance factor made me sell it and I have never looked back. I know plenty of folks think they are great and enjoy them, but I liked the Weatherby better. Maybe a better comparison is the CZ which is the Rigby I now own and like better that my original ruger. It is a fun one also, but does not kill rocks with quite the same umph.

Matthew

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Weatherby dangerous game rifle? [Re: Matthew]
      #153894 - 16/02/10 07:29 PM

G'Day Fella's,

Mathew you hit the nail on the head with just a few short words, "but I like them!

Man, that's all that really matters!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 18254

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com