Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Bespoke H&H DR for Mike Bailey

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifle Photos & Archive

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Bespoke H&H DR for Mike Bailey [Re: CptCurl]
      #145686 - 12/11/09 06:15 AM

Quote:

When I went to Purdey's in June 2007 they had a nice .470NE on the shelf. I took photos and posted them here:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=92153&an=0&page=1#Post92153

Curl

That was a nice one.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #145707 - 12/11/09 09:44 AM

CptCurl, I have a new set of .375 flanged dies and a new RCBS press and am about to get "into" reloading...a whole new hobby for me, lets see how I get on !! best,Mike

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #145720 - 12/11/09 03:38 PM

Curl,

Not anymore, I was told DRs are rarely on their shelves, and customers need to make a special order. Not likely if you can't handle one as Mike above himself says was a factor in his decision.

A small number of shotguns and a couple of bolt actions on the shelves from memory.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Bespoke H&H DR for Mike Bailey [Re: NitroX]
      #145732 - 12/11/09 09:49 PM

John and Mike,

I wonder how often Purdey gets orders for double rifles? Did you ask whether they had any in production?

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

#145735 - 12/11/09 10:27 PM

When I went in 3 years ago Cpt Curl there was only one young chap in the gunroom, he said they had a couple of double rifles away at an exhibition but he did do one thing, he went downstairs and brought up "Queen Elizabeths Double". Apparently it was made for her coronation (don't know many other details). From memory it was in Purdey .400 and was a lovely rifle with a great fold down aperture sight on the tang. From appearance it was unused, it had ER on the oval, as you would !!! BUT what a bugger to close, really was tough, I guess this would ease with use. I'm guessing it is not going into the Holts sale any time soon best, Mike

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: Bespoke H&H DR for Mike Bailey [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #145771 - 13/11/09 09:14 AM

Quote:

From appearance it was unused

Yeah, I guess the Queen hasn't done a lot of crawling through the briars.

The Purdey action can be a bit stiff to close and takes some getting used to. But oh boy, does it open!

Quote:

CptCurl, I have a new set of .375 flanged dies and a new RCBS press and am about to get "into" reloading...a whole new hobby for me, lets see how I get on !! best,Mike

Mike, I don't want to sound petulant or haughty, but it makes me a little uneasy to think of somebody learning the basics of reloading using a brand new bespoke H&H double rifle. There's no margin for error at all. Good luck; but more important, get good instruction from somebody well experienced in loading for double rifles.

Best,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

#145812 - 13/11/09 08:02 PM

Cpt Curl, I'm going to learn using a .44 Mag Marlin and a single shot .30-06 before I think about the .375 ! best, Mike

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #145814 - 13/11/09 08:20 PM

mike is there a norma dealer near you, as far as i remember they have the 375 flanged in their lineup.

best

peter

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: Bespoke H&H DR for Mike Bailey [Re: peter]
      #145821 - 13/11/09 10:27 PM

They have Peter, I ordered 40 rounds the day before yesterday and it will arrive today BUT it is 350 grain not the 300 grain the rifle is regulated for. I'll have to chance my arm, it's very unlikely there will be any shots past 140 yds and if there are I wont take them (I hope). Ammo not cheap is it !!! best, Mike

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #145824 - 13/11/09 10:49 PM

actually mike
you have a very good chance that the 350 will shoot quite well in your rifle, just test it first off course, but i think you will be plesantly suppriced.
regarding price, you get what you pay for

best

peter

baileybradshaw
.333 member

Reged: 21/06/08
Loc: Diana, TX
Re: Bespoke H&H DR for Mike Bailey [Re: peter]
      #145841 - 14/11/09 02:38 AM

Wow Mike. Can I live vicariously through you or what ? What a rifle, and in the caliber I would choose as well. Can't wait to see your first string of pictures holding that rifle over your trophies........with that big ass grin of course :-)

I had to reload for my Wyoming hunt, and it was MUCH easier than I thought. Only took about 1 hr to load 50rds.

--------------------
www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Bespoke H&H DR for Mike Bailey [Re: NitroX]
      #145844 - 14/11/09 03:11 AM

Quote:

Curl,

Not anymore, I was told DRs are rarely on their shelves, and customers need to make a special order. Not likely if you can't handle one as Mike above himself says was a factor in his decision.

A small number of shotguns and a couple of bolt actions on the shelves from memory.

Even to this day Purdey has made only a few hundred double rifles, I just took delivery of a new 470 nitro that is exceptional.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Bespoke H&H DR for Mike Bailey [Re: ]
      #145845 - 14/11/09 03:34 AM

Mike

I managed to get my 375 Fl shooting 3 bullet weights to the same POA, however the 350 Woodleigh's were not available
at that time so haven't tried to shoot them in it but I reckon
based on previous experience I could get the gun to regulate with them.

However it is a Sidelock Rigby and quite light so would boot
hard so not sure if I really want or need them.

300gn Woodleigh's have killed everything I've shot with them.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: Bespoke H&H DR for Mike Bailey [Re: 500Nitro]
      #145857 - 14/11/09 05:35 AM

500N, I will be using the 300 grain ammo I bought with the gun when it clears customs here in mid Dec, until then I'm stuck with 350 grain Norma. As an aside, does anyone out there have some reduced load practice rounds with a .375 flanged they use ? I know regulation will go to hell in a hand cart but it would be nice to put some extra ammo through it, best, Mike

500Nitro
.450 member

#145859 - 14/11/09 05:41 AM

Mike,

What do you mean by "reduced load" ?

What bullet weight ?

BTW - Good practice load to get used to the DR and
not over stress you and the rifle is with a 235 gn bullet
- or similar light weight.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

#145860 - 14/11/09 05:44 AM

500N, thats what I was thinking, 235 grainers at 2000 fps or thereabouts will still be a handy round ? or not ? best, Mike

500Nitro
.450 member

#145861 - 14/11/09 05:56 AM

Yes, for most game except any DG.

A 235gn bullet at 2000 fps is a bit like a 318WR (250gn bullet) once it gets out a bit, just with a bigger diamter.

Hell, it would make a great light pig round without all the heavy recoil.

FYI, 235gn even at normal or average velocities is very easy on the shoulder.

Just watch out when downloading and make sure you use a powder that doesn't leave too much air space - ie I am referring to SEE.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

#145866 - 14/11/09 07:20 AM

I put something on here a while back, imr4350 AND h4350 ARE NEXT TO EACH OTHER IN BURNING RATES, are they nearly interchangeable ? Graeme Write lists a few rounds in .375 Fl with H4350 (which I can get easily)

500Nitro
.450 member

#145868 - 14/11/09 07:26 AM

Mike

I am useless with powders and comparisons - especially when some of the numbers are so close together.

I'll leave it to someone else who is more knowledgeable
if you don't mind. Don't want to be responsible for any mistakes with your gun.

I also generally don't quote loads on public forums
but if you need what loads I have, as long as you double check with someone my powder versus yours, you should be OK.

I think ADI over here makes Hogdon powders anyway.

Can anyone answer Mike's question with Authority ?

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Re: Bespoke H&H DR for Mike Bailey [Re: ]
      #145874 - 14/11/09 10:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Curl,

Even to this day Purdey has made only a few hundred double rifles, I just took delivery of a new 470 nitro that is exceptional.

GeneralWar,

The DR Photo & Archive Forum awaits your photos. . .

Best,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #145884 - 14/11/09 02:33 PM

A few things.

First, no, IMR and H 4350 are not totally interchangeable. You need to work up your loads with either powder using normal SOP and you should NOT merely yank a load out of a book, stoke some cases and shoot. Especially in that rifle.

As for the statement about not using loads with air space, that depends entirely on the powder. It is true that slow burners should not be reduced below manufacturer's recommended loads, but other powders of faster rates leave significant air space and are totally safe. For example, IMR 3031, AA5744 and H4895 all leave substantial airspace in normal .375 H&H loads that are safe to shoot.

Mike:

Get a few load books and read the introductory sections on loading. Get the basic equipment and start with your .30-06. Do NOT rely on forums for a basic education on reloading. You can get some wonderful advice and information on this forum, but now and then somebody may post something that is simply not correct, or even dangerous. In my opinion a fellow needs to be quite advanced in his loading knowledge before he reads too much on a forum where anybody can say anything, and at times they do! What sounds "right" coming from somebody who sounds like they may know what they are doing because they possess an air of authority may be complete hogwash...and dangerous to-boot. This is common on many forums. Take what is posted and research it. There are those nutcases who prime with C4, fill the case with dynamite and seat a slug of enriched uranium that they shoot out of a milkshake straw. But most bad advice doesn't come this clearly; sometimes the Devil isn't wearing a red suit with head full of horns and carrying a pitchfork. Sometimes he is wearing 4-inch heels, fishnet hose, a jet black pencil skirt and smells like wonder. Yeah, the devil is in the details. Be careful!!

In .375 H&H Mag {belted}, I have worked up several loads using 225 and 220 Hornady bullets and AA5744 powder that duplicate 9.3x57 performance {2400-2500 fps} and if you could get similar loads worked up to zero in your flanged version would do nicely for a lot of general hunting of pig and deer. For 5744 powder loads, call Western Powders/Accurate for suggestions. Ask for Johan Loubser.

Finally, "reduced" {lower than standard} velocity loads do not necessarily produce lower pressures. Fast powders driving bullets at moderate velocities may develop higher pressures than full power loads using slow burning powders and driving bullets at higher velocities. Also, before you have extensive experience handloading or are willing to accept some undesired consequences, do NOT merely substitute one powder for another even though it may be listed as the same or similar on a burn chart.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9.3x57 (14/11/09 11:53 PM)

404bearslayer
.300 member

Reged: 28/04/09
Loc: Germany
Re: Bespoke H&H DR for Mike Bailey [Re: 9.3x57]
      #146141 - 18/11/09 12:44 PM

Mike,

congratulations on your new gun. I received my new H&H .470 just a little while ago and know about the anticipation you feel until you will finally receive it.

As mine has scope mounts as well I have a little recommendation: H&H typically regulate for the iron sight, as (according to them) they have trouble regulating for both iron sights and scope. That means essentially that the scope is used for single barrel use. Now, my gun came with a Zeiss similar to your S&B, which means that it was sitting very much backwards (because of eye relief), throwing off the balance of the gun and looking quite ugly - I never liked scopes sitting that much backwards. Furthermore, even though the scope was as far backwards as it would go, the eye relief still hardly worked for me.

Changed the Zeiss scope for a Swarovski 1-6 x 24 Z6i EE (EE means extended eye relief, there is a standard version also.). Guess what, I could mount the scope so much forward that the turret was right in the middle of the rings, which is of course a lot safer and restored the balance of the gun. As a result, with that setup, the gun regulated with the scope as good as with the iron sights. It looks a lot sleeker too. The best about it is however that you will never be kissed by the scope, even when doubling, that's how far forward you can put it.

Oh, and it sounds that you will use your gun on a driven shoot. I can tell you from experience that your H&H double will swing into moving game like nothing else. I just shoot where I look, similar to shooting a shotgun, works amazingly well.

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: Bespoke H&H DR for Mike Bailey [Re: 404bearslayer]
      #146161 - 18/11/09 06:57 PM

.404Bearslayer, I put 20 rounds through it with the scope, the S&B is fine, turrets are in the middle of the rings, no problem with eye relief, best, Mike

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #146172 - 19/11/09 12:09 AM

Mike:

From the gist of what I read here it appears you plan to hunt this rifle. BRAVO!!!

I can imagine there would be those who would commission such a gun and then keep it as a piece of art, to be examined, maybe held, but never used for its intended purpose. To each his own of course, but what I read here is that this gun will be used in the dust of Spain and Africa, will pick up a ding and a dent here and there over time, and will acquire that patina of honest use that speaks a lesson that the wallhangers can never utter.

I wish you all the best with this gun, and hope we read many tool-tales, and are able to peak a bit into the window of your life and though we may never meet, find a friendship of sorts that comes from reading of your adventures along the trail.

Congratulations and really, thank you very much for including us all in your endeavour.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Re: Bespoke H&H DR for Mike Bailey [Re: 9.3x57]
      #146175 - 19/11/09 12:43 AM

9.3, many thanks for your kind words. As I type, the gun is on its way from Bilbao to my home town where it should arrive tommorow a.m. My gun dealer then has to get a "guia" to assign to it which normaly takes 24 hours. WITH LUCK I can pick up the gun on Friday morning. I will phone the guy who runs my local trap range and I can put 20 rounds through it to check scope etc....all hurried as I have my first formal monteria (driven wild boar, red deer and fallow)on Sat and Sunday, should I get lucky I will post some pics, best, Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 34628

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com