Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: 450/400 3¼ BPE granulation

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
KWK
.275 member

Reged: 28/02/04
Loc: Illinois
450/400 3¼ BPE granulation
      #144329 - 24/10/09 10:34 AM

What granulation of the modern black powders are shooters of this old cartridge using? Wright's book has little on the BPE version. I imagine 3Fg would be about right.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: 450/400 3¼ BPE granulation [Re: KWK]
      #144362 - 24/10/09 10:28 PM

3F is to quick and too rapid at producing max pressure for any but the small bores or short rifle cases up to .45 cal.

Most ctg. shooter use 2F as the finest granulation and many use 1F as it can produce the best accuracy.

For expample, using 500 to 530gr. cast grooved/lubricated bullets, my .45/60 chambered Sharps delivers sub 1 3/8" groups with 60gr. 2F, under 1" groups with 60gr. 1F. With 60gr. 3F, it produces best groups of around 2"-sometimes, but is a bit erratic with unexplained fliers. The velocity increase given by 3F is slight and with bullets this heavy, 50fps is nonexistant.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

KWK
.275 member

Re: 450/400 3¼ BPE granulation [Re: DarylS]
      #144392 - 25/10/09 10:46 AM

Daryl, your comments agree with what I've read for target shooting. However, the BPE's gave up bullet SD to get speeds between 1800 and 2000 fps. In the .45s, around 300 gn was a common bullet weight, and I don't see weights beyond 365 gn.

Wright has pressure tested and can now recommend 3Fg for the long .450 3¼ BPE. Using Swiss powder, neither their 3Fg nor their 1.5Fg could match the original performance of over 1800 fps. The 1.5Fg was a bit better performer but at a much heavier charge. There was no explanation as to why the 3Fg wasn't pushed harder; perhaps ignition was erratic?

He also has 3Fg loads for the big 500/450 3¼ BPE. Here, 3Fg outperformed the coarser granulation. That it worked well in this big bottleneck case is why I guessed 3Fg would be about right for the 450/400 3¼ BPE and its 230 to 255 gn bullets.

Trying to get 2000 fps with BP isn't easy. Again, these were not meant to be target cartridges.

Goex also recommends 3Fg for the 450 BPE, but they have no recommendation for the 450/400.

Dphariss
.300 member

Reged: 18/04/06
Loc: Montana
      #144506 - 27/10/09 02:37 AM

I think some research will show that 1F or 1.5 F Swiss is very close to the powder in granulation, charcoal, manufacturing techniques etc, used in the original cartridges. Greener specifically stated that fine grained powder should not be used in express rifles.
I would use Swiss 1-1.5 and 2 and try both Federal Magnum rifle primers and various standard primers to get best accuracy. The best accuracy is often from pistol primers but these can cause problems if the breech face is soft.

I had a 450 BPE double that I could never get to regulate properly with Goex and wonder if Swiss would have worked if I still had the rifle
This rifle had a 40" twist so look at this when looking for bullet weights.

Dan

KWK
.275 member

Re: 450/400 3¼ BPE granulation [Re: Dphariss]
      #144535 - 27/10/09 06:28 AM

Thanks, and I'll look though a copy of Greener.

Wright says he often resorts to a duplex charge of 4759 below the main BP charge in order to get enough fps to regulate.

He mentions tests in which old BP cartridges were tested for fps, and they were found to be correct. One cartridge was pulled apart and its powder tried with modern components, and again the fps was correct. It wasn't, though, mentioned what the granulation appeared to be.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#144546 - 27/10/09 11:53 AM

Greener's book contains the picture of a .450 BPE that was blown up with a case full of 'fine' powder.

I'd stick to Dan's suggestion of 1 1/2 or 2f Swiss. I think the person was Ross Seyfried who found #1 1/2 to 2f Swiss to duplicate original BPE data and regulation.

--------------------
Daryl

KWK
.275 member

#144550 - 27/10/09 02:01 PM

I looked over Greener, but unfortunately, he uses Curtis & Harvey granulation numbers (6 vs 2) to describe the powders in question. He says the load that blew the gun was a full charge of a "very fine grained" powder. I've never played with 3Fg, so I can't comment if that qualifies as "very fine."

Greener refers to detonation of black powder in big cases, but more modern sources say this never happens; it's just not part of the chemistry of black powder.

I'll note one muzzle loader guy say 1F is too slow for 500 gn .45s, that 2F is about right (up to 100 gn or so), and that 3F can work in some rifles.

I'll keep reading and post back here. I must try to locate a copy of Seyfried's articles on the subject; I've always admired his work.

Karl

Dphariss
.300 member

#144790 - 30/10/09 05:09 PM

You will find that Swiss in pretty close to C&H Diamond Grain and the other premium powders of the 19th century. It is also dense enough to allow the proper charge weight in most instances.

Trying to get a double to regulate with Goex may be impossible. Swiss on the other hand might work.

C&H #6 is about like 1F granulation. The Gun and Its Development by Greener, at least my 1896 edition, has a wood cut of granulations of C&H powder.
My 45-100 with 100 grains of 1.5F Swiss will produce 1370 fps with a 530gr PP bullet it is slightly slower with 1F. This effectively duplicates or exceeds 19th century ballistics which are about 1350 with a 550 PP.

Dan

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#144818 - 31/10/09 03:09 AM

Karl - I tried all granulations of GOEX in my .50 3-1/4" Sharps with from 140gr. of 2F and 3F and up to 170gr. 1F Meteor. The Meteor 1F powder was very dense and heavy, hense the weight.

2F gave the best accuracy and velocity, with 3F flowing the primer back around the firing pin, demonstrably showing pressure levels too high for this particular action. The Sharps has a large angled firing pin, which, due to it's shape and angle, leaves room for primer flow with hot loads.

I successfully loaded smokeless in this round without pressure problems, to elevated velcotiies way over black powder, did this with very much lower pressure than the 3F charges gave.

I would not use 3F in any make of BP in anything but the shorter cases, such as the .45/70 or .45/60, or shorter yet.

--------------------
Daryl

KWK
.275 member

#144985 - 02/11/09 01:04 PM

Thanks for the info gentlemen.

Daryl, what bullet weight were you using in the .50 3¼? That case is pretty close to the .500 BPEs. The BPE rounds used bullets from 340 to 440 gn in that caliber. The light bullets were quite spry, at almost 1950 fps, and I suspect a faster powder would be needed with these. Wright suggested loads with the heavier bullet need to use a less than full case with 3F and 2F with a full charge, which seems to agree with your experience.

The 450/400 3¼ used bullets with a SD about that of the 325 gn .50, although the case is bigger by proportion.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#145035 - 03/11/09 02:41 AM

I tried the Lyman #515141 casting a 450gr. bullet in Ww metal, which was the original design for the .50/70 Government and also used in the .50 2-1/2" Sharps. Although if cast soft, it would expand even with the pointy deign, I wanted a flat nosed slug, so also bought the #515124 Lyman mould which casts a 520gr. bullet in WW and the RCBS 550gr. bullet, also WW. I made a mould for the 700gr. paper patched bullet but didn't like the recoil much with that narrow, steel butt plate.

The RCBS bullet has larger grease grooves than the Lyman and also has a heavier base. Cast in straight WW's, it was very accurate in my Sharps .50 3-1/4" as well as in the .50 Alaskan Rolling block right up to 1,900fps. My favourite load in the Sharps was, if I remember correctly (sold the rifle and gave away the data for it) 68gr. IMR3031 and filled the case with Kapok to the bullet's base. This load gave 1,760fps with the 550gr. and shot into 1 1/2" for 5 at 100 meters off the bags, using the Sharps open sights, kicked pretty good, too. Full case of BP was only good for about 2 1/2" in my rifle. I was surprised at the accuracy I got with smokeless powder as the longer cased .50 Sharps Rifles came with a 36" twist which is more suitable for the shorter bullets.

Check Accurate Arms manuals for data for the .50 3-1/4" - they have some, as well as Hodgdon's Annual Manual also had some data a couple years ago. A buddy of mine now owns my .50 Sharps and loads it with AA3100 and the 450gr.Cast at around 2,200fps. That load kicks a bit too. he used AA3100 as it very nerly fills the case. Also, it killed moose very well indeed for him. Check Accurate Arms Powders web site.

A friend of mine has a J. Blissett .50 BPE double rifle. He used to use a case full of Pyrodex (unfortunately) with the Lyman 450gr. bullet #515141. I've shot right barrel groups of 2" at 100 meters with that rifle. The left, unfortunately wasn't as accurate - 4" about it's best and 6" away, low. Pyrodex, being a percolate powder is corrosive and introduced rott in his barrels before he stopped using it. Please don't use it in anything you treasure - OK for inlines . Unlike BP fouling, it does not need to absorb moisture to cause to damage barrels, but it is even more hygroscopic than black powder fouling.

--------------------
Daryl

KWK
.275 member

#145088 - 03/11/09 03:17 PM

Thanks Daryl. BP will be new for me--only smokeless so far. I'd already come to the conclusion the "substitutes" offer no real advantage, and I don't plan to try them. Besides, the smoke and smell of the real thing are the attractions.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

#145120 - 04/11/09 04:00 AM

Good choice, KWK. I tried Hodgdon's T7 (777) in my 14 bore and received some weird pressure excursions/jumps for my trouble. This rifle has never lifted the hammer off the cap when firing, even with 225gr. 2F loads, yet a 130gr. charge of T-7 did just that in 2 of the 5 shots fired with it. I then went back to noromal BP hunting charge of 165gr. 2F with normal fired full, slightly expanded cap left on the nipple with no fragments when fired. This showed the nipple's flash hole was not injured by the 2- excursions. I'll not use T7 again. It's accuracy was a bust as well - terrible compared to real BP.

--------------------
Daryl

Dphariss
.300 member

#145123 - 04/11/09 04:22 AM

The use of smokeless in the large capacity cases trying to duplicate low velocity loads can be extremely dangerous.
You will find references to this as far back as the advent of IMR powders in the 1930s, Phil Sharpe mentions this.

3031 at BP ballistics is poison in large capacity cases like the 45 and 50 3 1/4" cases.
The only Shiloh Sharps that was totally blown up while I worked for them was a 50-3 1/4" that a guy insisted on shooting 52 odd grains of 3031 in. AFTER I had told him at length that it was not to be used. He broke all major parts but the lock, breech block and trigger plate. Had he been shooting offhand rather than the bench he would likely have lost a hand.
He sent some photos of the remains.
Had he shot 100 grains of 3031 it would simply have leaded the bore and kicked him severely.
A Sharps *made of modern materials* chambered for a straight case is very difficult to damage with an massive overload of even 4198 which is a fairly fast rifle powder and a heavy jacketed bullet.

If shooting ANY smokeless in ANY cartridge and there are wild velocity variations or hangfires STOP SHOOTING IMMEDIATELY. Poorly ignited smokeless powder is extremely volatile and these are warnings that the load is right on the edge of major firearm and perhaps shooter damage.
This includes powders like Unique or Red Dot in 45 colt or 44-40 etc. Unique is shown in loading data for 45-70. But it rings chambers is really weird ways.
If you use smokeless in a large case use a very slow powder, my 45-100 2.6" will use all the powder that will fit behind a 540 grain bullet if I use AA8700 or 3100. Its closer to BP ballistics with about .2" airspace. Compressed loads will nearly equal 458 mag.
The only way to avoid this with BP duplication loads is to use a filler like Pufflon that compresses the powder tightly in the case and holds it tight to the flash hole so ignition is as it needs to be. But this usually requires a slight reduction in the powder charge. I have used it in 45-70 for some smokeless loads. But have only loaded a couple of loads this way and testing has been limited.

I am fairly confidant that more modern guns are blown with too light loads than with too heavy, especially revolvers and replica firearms.
For example.
I have it on extremely good authority that in 357 magnum cartridge a full case of Bullseye and a 158gr SWC will only bulge a heat treated revolver cylinder. Go under 3 grains with the same bullet and the cylinder will be blown in a few rounds of shooting when the factors get just "right".
This from a major manufacturers testing to see how people were blowing up their revolvers.

Dan

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
      #145143 - 04/11/09 12:09 PM

Good info here Dan. I've used AA3100 in the 45-70 and it bulks up really well and was accurate in every bullet weight and rifle I used it in, but it left lots of unburned powder behind......to the point that it would somtimes be impossible to load the next round in my Shiloh. I tried various crimping and compressing combinations but nothing worked. Actually every AA powder I've tried so far leaves behind a good bit of powder but 3100 was the worst. Did you have this same experience?

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: 450/400 3¼ BPE granulation [Re: degoins]
      #145175 - 05/11/09 04:48 AM

AA3100 is a bit too slow burning even for BP velocities in a .45/70.
H4895 is a good powder for bulking in .45/70 cases with all bullet weights. It burns quite well down to about 60% of case capacity. In that 2.1" case, 3031 is another old time favourite, but it works better with closer to full-house loads and is suitable mostly for the stronger actions, not BP ballistics. H4895 is better suited for these.

In the first .458 2" long throat I built, which is very similar to the .45/70's 2.1" and .45/90's 2.4" case I experimented to a fairly large extent with almost all powders listed for the .45/70 - using cast and jacketed bullets. The faster powders as Dan observed were very poor choices as they produced erratic results in pressure. With the other powders, a full case always gave the best results whether I was looking for .45/70BP ballistics or modern high pressure loads - one must gain the knowledge to use the appropriate powder for the job at hand.

The rifle test-bed for these tests was a Mauser M98 action which proved it's value when things got out of hand, as in pressure excursions with some of the 'small rifle' & pistol powders listed in the books. IMR and Hodgdon's 4227 were about the worst powder for bouncing pressures. My unique test was very short as well.

For filler with reduced capacity loads, PufLon wasn't avilable back then, so I used Kapok and Dacron along with GREX by Winchester and later, some filler made or sold by Remington. Unlike the picture of the .45/70 case with a tiny puff of dacron on a tiny charge, I reduced the charge a couple grs. and filled the case above the powder with either Dacron or kapok to a compressed load. I discarded the use of Dacron as I preferred the kapok(from an old-style life preserver) The inert fillers today, ie: Grex and Rem's filler and Puff Lon are better yet. I don't particularly like the cerials that some use, as in COWheat or flour, as they compact into a plug, which can increase pressure by itself and being quite heavy, add to the projectile's weight, which also increases pressure.

A VERY heavy crimp is needed in straight sided cases, especially with slow powders to help promote proper powder burn. Too, standard primers, while igniting black powder well, do not do so with smokeless powders in straight sided cases. I used mostly Fed 215's with CCI250's and Winchester Large Rifle Mag primers filling in when I ran out of Fed 215's. This was years ago. I now use CCI250's and Fed 215's for all straight sided case loading. I've also tested with double primers, but that is in another thread and not needed for black powder. I've drifed away from them & prefer to use more powder instead. The double primers required a reduction of 8gr. of powder for identical results - in my rifle, with those loads they were designed for.

A problem with straight sided cases is a poor 'hold' or grip on the bullet. The bullet enters the throat easily from the case, which rapidly increases the 'volume' of the space for the powder to manifest it's burn, which can cause a pressure drop with poorly ignited or hard to ignite powders. In worse case senarios, the result is as Dan described in hang-fires. And, as he stated, this is right on the edge of a disastrus blow-up. This is why straigth cases have difficulty igniting/burning the slower powders. This pressure drop, then pressure climb once the powder does start to burn properly, can produce wave action of pressure, which is one of the perceived causes of detonations.

The grip on the bullet can be increased by reducing the diameter of the case neck expander button, which will produce a tighter hold on the bullet. Couple a tighter hold on the bullet, with a good heavy crimp in a proper crimping groove or the use of a Lee crimper to impart or impress a crimping groove in a straight sided bullet helps with strong igntion and better results occur.

--------------------
Daryl

Edited by Daryl_S (05/11/09 05:39 PM)

degoins
.333 member

Reged: 28/02/06
Loc: SC, USA
      #145198 - 05/11/09 12:38 PM

Thanks Daryl. A wealth of useful information as always.

DarylSModerator
.700 member

Re: 450/400 3¼ BPE granulation [Re: degoins]
      #145215 - 05/11/09 05:42 PM

I made a couple small changes to better explain some points in the last three paragraphs.
I do appologise for the length of this post, and many of my other posts as well.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7733

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com