Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: O. Geyger Berlin 9.3x62

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
heers68
.300 member

Reged: 11/04/08
Loc: north carolina
O. Geyger Berlin 9.3x62
      #145122 - 04/11/09 04:10 AM

Here is my latest rifle,a real nice Mauser marked "O. Geyger Berlin". I believe this may be a distributer not the maker,but I would love to hear oppinions! Anyone out there have a gun marked with this name? I believe from internet research that the "O" is Otto,do you guys know for sure? The gun is just over 7 lbs and handles like a dream! The silvers pad is still very flexible and I believe it to be original to the gun. Bore is minty and the gun shoots very well,the magazine holds only 4 rounds due to the large round. I havent had the gun out of its stock yet becouse I dont have the right screw drivers and am afraid I wont be able to get everything "straight" again! So I dont know the year of manufacture,I am guessing mid 20's,what do you guys think? Need sling loops for the gun,anyone have some to sell?? Also plan to mount a very nice Zeiss Zielsechs scope in existing claw bases,do you have ANY suggestions on who could do the uppers and fit them to the lowers? I have various uppers that could be modified for the job and a set that has to be sweated off the Zeiss first! Can this be done and still have the scope look great and look as if it was mounted at the factory?? Thanks for any and all info,love to answer queastions about the gun,enjoy the pics and look forward to response from the "Pro's"!! Kevin.

Edited by heers68 (04/11/09 07:16 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
heers68
.300 member

Re: O. Geyger Berlin 9.3x62 [Re: heers68]
      #145125 - 04/11/09 04:32 AM

Woops!, meant to put this in the Mauser discussion forum! Could the moderator please move this post there? THANKS Kevin.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #145126 - 04/11/09 04:35 AM

Holy cow, that thing's beautiful!

Fantastic condition too -- I don't have sling loops for you, but they can be found new via one or two european distributors.
I don't have confirmation that Otto Geyger did or did not (with his own hands) make guns from raw material up to finished product, but I can say that every gun or rifle I've seen marked with his name was very very high quality equipment.
On the recoil pad, my guess is that you'll see a 'widow's peak' feature on the black spacer -- and that from the factory the rifle was shipped with a steel buttplate, possibly with a trap for a couple of cartridges.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

heers68
.300 member

Re: O. Geyger Berlin 9.3x62 [Re: tinker]
      #145129 - 04/11/09 05:31 AM

THANKS for response Tinker! I will have to look under the butt pad. If it had a steel plate originally I would have liked to see how it was styled! I have a few Katologs from the 20's and 30's and they offer pads just like this one installed on the rifles from the go. The butt is curved under the spacer also,this led me to believe it was at least installed by a skilled German gunsmith in the period. Any ideas on year of make? Kevin.

dons
.333 member

Reged: 18/08/07
Loc: Essex
      #145131 - 04/11/09 07:26 AM

And now for the bad news. The Zeiss Zielsechs is the correct scope for your rifle, but to have proper upper mounts sweated on and look "factory" is a major project involving disassembly of the optics, making or modifying upper mounts, sweating them on, fitting to the bases, refinishing the tube assembly and reassemble and seal the scope is a very expensive process. Depending on the wear of your rifle, the scope may appear too "NEW" when mounted. To give you some idea, I had this done to a very rare Mauser at a cost of $2500 plus a 2 year wait. There is an O. Geyger exactly like yours with a Zielsechs scope at a dealers site in Germany. PM me with your email address and I'll forward info.

heers68
.300 member

Re: O. Geyger Berlin 9.3x62 [Re: dons]
      #145142 - 04/11/09 10:05 AM

Dons, Yea,expecting a large hit on the expense of the scope mounting! Hoping to find a local guy with a good rep to do it step by step so I can pay the same way. I think I have seen the rifle you saw,it is listed under Zivilmauser on a sight initialled F.J. right? I wish my rifle had the side safety that one does,but I like my caliber more! Luckily the bluing on my rifle is 99% so I dont fear the new bluing on the scope and montage,as long as they rust blue it like original! The early Zeiss scopes are pretty easy to disasemble too,the Zielsechs I have for this job was obtained from a Canadian WW2 Vet that picked it up out of a burnt out house in Bavaria! When I obtained it, It was still in its partially charred "Leder Kocher" wearing its original Zeiss leather occular covers marked "Zielsechs" on the rear cover. The scope was undamaged but the lubricating grease had boiled and vaporized all over the inner sides of the lenses it had got so hot!! I disassembled,cleaned everything,relubed with correct grease,and reassembled. The scope is as clear and bright as a new Zeiss! Adjustments(elevation and paralax)work superbly also. Shame the mounts have to be sweated off too,becouse the bluing is like new still! These prewar German scopes really were ahead of there time! Kevin.

Edited by heers68 (04/11/09 10:28 AM)

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
      #145154 - 04/11/09 05:22 PM

Heer68,

What a fantastic piece. I love the lines and the finish on the metal. What a classic. I Drooled over a similar rifle for months in 9x57, but it was gone before the drool ran out and the money came in.
The bolt handle, barre shape and stock are what I look for in the style.
congrats. Please let us know how it shoots. I could suggest NECG for a scope mount for the claw bases.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

nhdblfan
.300 member

Reged: 31/08/07
Loc: NH
Re: O. Geyger Berlin 9.3x62 [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #145199 - 05/11/09 12:43 PM

Wow that is sweet !!
I have seen two other O Geygers,both shotguns and both very well made,like yours !
I talked with one dealer who had one of them and said that Geyger was a retailer in Berlin,he also mentioned that there where rumors of Goring having a interest in the firm.I like the term buy the gun not the story but it may be true.

Where did you find that fine rifle? The checkering on the grip, the barrel work,the engraving,the condition,the case color, and the wood all top shelf.Damn thats one nice piece wish I found it !

Edited by nhdblfan (05/11/09 12:47 PM)

ellenbr
.300 member

Reged: 25/08/07
Loc: North Alabama
Re: O. Geyger Berlin 9.3x62 [Re: nhdblfan]
      #145202 - 05/11/09 01:18 PM

Ludwig Schiwy of Berlin was the choice of Goering as Goering had several Schiwy examples. I can't remember if they were related by marriage or some political connection.

Goering may have purchased some sporting weapons from Oscar(OttO) Geyger, but I can't say there were connected in any fashion. I guess Oscar Geyger to have been born circa 1872 and was a master gunsmith by 1896 as his firm appears in the Berlin address book and previously in circa 1890 he was listed as being connected to the Nicolas(?) Dreyse firm. Oscar Geyger sourced most, if not almost all, of his doubles and the like from Oskar Merkel, or the Merkel boys. But many of his bolt guns were sourced from Sauer and circa 1936 after WWI and the depression, Sauer closed it's Berlin satellite office and O. Geyger was the sole agent. This example has all the hallmarks(early style floorplate release lever, front sight slot with ramped milled from the tube steel) of a Sauer barreled Repetier Pirschbuchse with a Mauser action with commerical casehardened bolt. Any type Krupp steel stamp on the tube may strengthen the notion of an origin at Sauer. There should be a serial number on it somewhere and if it is between 250xxx & 300xxx, it is surely a Sauer sourced example. Even though it has the early style floorplate lever, I'd guess it was made in the 1930s, possibly in the late 1930s where there was a close relationship between O. Geyger and Sauer. Also in the late 1930s the last listing for the firm O. Geyger is found but he may have had an heir or assign that continued up or on into WWII. By 1940 Oscar Geyger would have been approaching 80 years of age and has surely had retired by then. Or at the onset of WWII his son may have been killed in battle and the business closed its doors.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

heers68
.300 member

Re: O. Geyger Berlin 9.3x62 [Re: ellenbr]
      #145205 - 05/11/09 03:25 PM

THANKS for all the great comments and very impressive info on this firm!! Raimey blew me away with his very impressive info on the Geyger firm!! Mr. Raimey would you have any info on the "G. Wilcke" firm in Stuttgart?? I have been looking for info on these guys without any luck! I have a Bockbuchesflinte by them. If I can get the action out of the stock(perhaps when I have the scope work done,I dont want to mess up the screws!!)I will let you guys know what I find. The Sauer connection was very interesting.

NHDBLFAN, I bought this rifle from a very nice fellow from New Hampshire that was selling some guns owned by his late gunsmith father.Felt very fortunate to have found it!

ANYONE have correct sling loops???

This is great,love to hear MORE!! Kevin.

Edited by heers68 (05/11/09 03:30 PM)

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #145214 - 05/11/09 05:32 PM

Beautiful, high class rifle indeed, Kevin - with the most excellent work on the rest of the rifle, I wonder if the bolt knob was 'checkered' by someone other than the rifle's maker.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

nhdblfan
.300 member

Reged: 31/08/07
Loc: NH
Re: O. Geyger Berlin 9.3x62 [Re: DarylS]
      #145229 - 05/11/09 11:04 PM

Heers,
you found that wonderfull rifle here in NH,ouch right under my nose !

Just kidding with ya,good for you I can't buy them all.If he has anything else that your not intersted in feel free to let me know.

you may try here for sling swivels;

http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/

Here is another one like yours,same checkering.I like yours better thou,much better !

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=368960

Edited by nhdblfan (05/11/09 11:16 PM)

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Re: O. Geyger Berlin 9.3x62 [Re: nhdblfan]
      #145272 - 06/11/09 03:41 PM

Kevin,

That is one beautiful Mauser and in a nice caliber too, congratulations.

Thank you for the well done photography, I've enjoyed every shot and will probably be spending more time checking out every detail.

Best regards,

Buchseman

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

heers68
.300 member

Re: O. Geyger Berlin 9.3x62 [Re: Buchsemann]
      #145281 - 07/11/09 12:04 AM

Buchseman,

Good to hear from you! Thanks for the compliments,wish I could take better pics than these really!
Kevin.

Buchsemann
.333 member

Reged: 12/12/08
Loc: Wisconsin, USA
      #145332 - 07/11/09 03:08 PM

Kevin,

I wouldn't think twice about the pictures. Most of us, I would imagine, don't always have the time to do the pro-like studio shots. The pictures that you have posted do more than ample justice to your new find. I've been pretty well focused on double rifles for a while now but a Mauser such as yours likens to a sirens song. As disciplined as I try to be, sticking to the double rifle thing, the high condition early Mauser sporting arms have been working on me. Had I come across such a find I probably would have buckled and bought it on the spot.

Best regards,

Buchseman

PS - That Raimey knows some stuff. I appreciate the additional information as well.

--------------------
Happy the man, and happy he alone,
He who can call today his own:
He who, secure within, can say,
Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

- John Dryden

ellenbr
.300 member

Reged: 25/08/07
Loc: North Alabama
Re: O. Geyger Berlin 9.3x62 [Re: Buchsemann]
      #145346 - 08/11/09 01:36 AM

Buchsenman:

Thanks for the accolades but I am just fortunate to have run upon good sources and am trying to gather info from previous generations before it is lost forever. I'm sure info on G. Wilcke exits in an old text or in someones mind, but info on Wilcke is difficult to find similar to W. Foerster of Berlin(and others) with info only being extracted from their examples and indirect info from their networks/relationships. I'll see what I have on G. Wilcke but I think the info is only from his examples. One can looks at the town in which the master gunsmith was a resident taking note of the nobility of whatever country or connection to nobility and it is here the master gunsmith and his heirs and assigns made their livelyhood. Unless they were like Sauer, and other larger concerns which also filled military contracts, and could turn out many examples of something akin to a utility grade, but still of quality, in large numbers, the master gunsmith, with 1/2 dozen or less craftsmen, had to really address mechanization or out-sourcing, unless the nobility purchased the bulk of his work.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 20 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13776

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com