Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Feb. 2011 Buff Hunting?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Australia, NZ & the South Pacific

Pages: 1
AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Feb. 2011 Buff Hunting?
      #144185 - 23/10/09 11:01 AM

My wife and I are planning a trip down under next year and I was wondering about trying for a buff during this trip.
I realize that this is mid-summer there. Is there any restrictions about the time of year for hunting?
Do any of you reccomend ay PH's or outfits to contact? I'm not trying to get the biggest head just a nice one.

Thanks

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: Feb. 2011 Buff Hunting? [Re: AkMike]
      #144234 - 23/10/09 05:42 PM

Please speak to Graham Williams a professional operator, good trophies, new concessions. Hunted with him in September 2007 and only have praise for the man.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

http://www.biggameaustralia.com/

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: Feb. 2011 Buff Hunting? [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #144236 - 23/10/09 06:00 PM

Thanks! I've looked thru his site already. Are there seasons in Feb.? Or are they hunted year around?

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

GG375
.333 member

Reged: 27/02/04
Loc: Brisbane
      #144244 - 23/10/09 08:16 PM

Feb might not be a very good time - right in the latter stages of the wet season in the NT. Water everywhere, vegetation very high, tracks very soft etc.

Cheers.

GG

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
      #144245 - 23/10/09 09:34 PM

Hi Again from Australia,

I would suggest that you give him a call on his mobile or send an Email as he could possibly still have a hunt on but he can tell you what is available, he has access from time to time in the hunt area but not all the time. There is a section that is very hard hunting what with the "Mozzies" etc and there is always access via helicopter but it will all depend on the $$$ available. When you call him please say Hi from me. You won't be disapointed with his outfit or his team.

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Feb. 2011 Buff Hunting? [Re: CHAPUISARMES]
      #144246 - 23/10/09 10:03 PM

They can be hunted year 'round. there is no 'season' like there is for deer.

As stated it is a very bad time of year to hunt.

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #144480 - 26/10/09 07:29 PM

Quote:

My wife and I are planning a trip down under next year and I was wondering about trying for a buff during this trip.
I realize that this is mid-summer there. Is there any restrictions about the time of year for hunting?
Do any of you reccomend ay PH's or outfits to contact? I'm not trying to get the biggest head just a nice one.

AkMike,

No formal seasons except on ducks and geese in the NT's Top End. Ferals like buffalo, pigs, donkeys, horses, camels, scrub bulls can be legally hunted at any time. Similar in most other states for most feral game, but check specifics as different states have different laws eg deer in Tasmania.

The Top End has a "Dry" and a "Wet" season. Monsoons, tropical cyclones etc occur during the WET Season, which starts around the end of November/December and finishes around the end of April or early May depending on the year. Transport is more difficult during the Wet and many places can be cut off at times. Also travelling across country during the Wet season is far more difficult or impossible.

Most safari outfitters close up shop during these times and principally operate during the June to Sept/October/Nov months. But maybe some operate during the other half of the year if they have accessible properties with accessible hunting areas. Only way would be to enquire directly.

The Dry season is far more comfortable for hunting as well with July and August being the best months to choose. In June there would be more foilage, October starts to get hot and November very hot and also very humid. November is named the "suicide season", because of the hot humidity before the rains start.

Not out of the question hunting in February but check with outfitters directly to see if they can or will do a hunt at that time of the year.

For general enquiries ie not sure about February, I can personally recommend Matt Graham of Hunt Australia, and Graham Williams of Australian Buffalo Hunters whom I have both hunted with. Possibly someone like Mary River Safaris may be able to do a February hunt which may or may not be behind wire (?). There may be other outfitters but I am not aware of whom could do a February hunt.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2629

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com