Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hunting Wolves

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Hunting Wolves
      #144125 - 22/10/09 10:03 PM

Since this topic sparked a lot of interest and since the level of real hunting experiences that were successful are very limited, I thought I'd start a discussion where successful experiences and techniques can be shared.

My preference is to NOT make this a political discussion. We've all heard it....nothing new. We already know the politics around this very well and also know the environmental impact wolves have on the game populations. Let's agree to that and focus on technique and method.

So, who has proven tactics that have been successfully employed to hunt these Alpha Canines?

Wolves are canines and canines are dogs and dogs have predictable habits. Similarly, dogs are canines and canines are wolves and wolves should also have very predictable habits. I've spent a lot of time trapping fox and coyote and feel I SHOULD know the habits of wolves, but I've never had the opportunity. In fact, I have never seen a wolf in the wild.

I've read that using an Elk carcass or an Elk decoy along with a Coyote decoy will draw a wolf pack in if they are in earshot of your coyote call. Wolves will kill coyotes in the same way that coyotes will kill fox. Supposedly, a coyote decoy by an Elk carcass (or something similar) is too much for the wolf pack to resist.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: Hunting Wolves [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #144128 - 22/10/09 11:29 PM

How about tethering a goat in a forest and then sitting over it on a machan? .577 BPE should do the trick!!

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Hunting Wolves [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #144135 - 23/10/09 12:25 AM

Quote:

How about tethering a goat in a forest and then sitting over it on a machan? .577 BPE should do the trick!!

Not so fast and not as silly as you think!

I'm trying to get an answer from Fish and Game as to whether tethering a dog on a clearcut is an illegal use of a dog for hunting. Similar idea, but my wife has this whiney Spaniel...

Seriously, I think it would work, since wolves annihilate hounds in these parts. I just have to check on the technical legality. Use of a dog is for the simple reason that it would be far easier to transport around than would be the use of a goat, sheep, etc.

Keep'em coming.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Hunting Wolves [Re: 9.3x57]
      #144143 - 23/10/09 01:49 AM

I have consulted my library of classic material concerning the traditional methods of attracting wolves and the appropriate weapons for dispatching them.
The Russian author Sergei Prokofiev suggests that wolves like ducks (and small boys) very much. He doesn't elaborate much on killing the wolf, but thinks roping is is an acceptable method of immobilizing. Modern accounts suggest that a popgun is the weapon of choice but IMO may not be effective.
The well known Grimm brothers suggest that wolves simply cannot resist old ladies (which are apparently very easy to catch) but prefer to eat children as well and will go to great lengths to procure such a meal.
Other references to baiting wolves suggests that they are quite partial to sheep. The many accounts described by the authors Aesop and Goose make me believe that a sheep would be a splendid bait animal.
Maybe a small child leading a tethered sheep and duck would cover any unforseen issue regarding bait.

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Hunting Wolves [Re: Huvius]
      #144147 - 23/10/09 02:15 AM

Quote:

Maybe a small child leading a tethered sheep and duck would cover any unforseen issue regarding bait.

If it works, I know many stockmen, ranchers, rural residents, sportsman and hunters who would love to give this a whirl, assuming the kid is armed, eager, and a good, steady shot.

Come to think of it, I know quite a few kids that would love to have the opportunity. 12 is the legal minimum hunting age for Big Game here. The shorter ones might have the advantage here...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

PBR
.275 member

Reged: 21/08/09
Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Re: Hunting Wolves [Re: Huvius]
      #144148 - 23/10/09 02:19 AM

I'm not sure I'd take the family pet because you might doze off, wake up, and your little buddy's gone.

My recommendation would either be to find a brick house out in the wilderness (the wolf will be so tired from huffing and puffing and that you should be able to walk up to it with a baseball bat) or you could dress up like Little Red Riding Hood and skip around in the forest until you find one.
Being a showboater, I'd go the Little Red Riding Hood route.

What most people do is simply buy a wolf tag along with their big game tag in case they accidently see one.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Hunting Wolves [Re: PBR]
      #144150 - 23/10/09 02:33 AM

I totally agree with the dog analogy...which is what my point was a few days ago...

Wolves, like coyotes, are pretty sly..but they too can be had...just a matter of time and effort..IMHO..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Hunting Wolves [Re: Ripp]
      #144153 - 23/10/09 03:13 AM

Check this out. PETA's at it again, of course.

http://www.ussportsmen.org/Page.aspx?pid=2181

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

PBR
.275 member

Re: Hunting Wolves [Re: DarylS]
      #144161 - 23/10/09 04:42 AM

I've been following this a long time and I must say I have to side with PETA on this one

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #144163 - 23/10/09 05:04 AM

Quote:

I'm trying to get an answer from Fish and Game as to whether tethering a dog on a clearcut is an illegal use of a dog for hunting. Similar idea, but my wife has this whiney Spaniel...

Seriously, I think it would work, since wolves annihilate hounds in these parts. I just have to check on the technical legality. Use of a dog is for the simple reason that it would be far easier to transport around than would be the use of a goat, sheep, etc.

You are not "tethering" the dog, you have tied it up so it doesn't run off while you go for a pee behind the tree

Always reckon Goats are good as bait for things as they bleet like a stuck pig.

Edited by 500Nitro (23/10/09 05:04 AM)

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Hunting Wolves [Re: 500Nitro]
      #144166 - 23/10/09 05:46 AM

Okay, well this topic went absolutely nowhere!!

--------------------

DoubleD
.400 member

Reged: 23/11/03
Loc: Retired in Oklahoma
Re: Hunting Wolves [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #144188 - 23/10/09 12:12 PM

Jerry,

Could it be that no one here has any experience hunting wolves?

I would bet most of the wolf kills so far have been incidental and not intentional.

If I were to intentionally hunt wolves I think I would start with ordinary coyote calling techniques and work from there.

I was hunting moose in Quebec some years ago with no luck. In a moment of frustration I got out my coyote call-Circe rabbit and tooted it! I got an immediate response from wolves. Not Wolf, Wolves. I had no idea they were in the area. I could hear them moving closer as they howled and I decided to get in the boat and leave.

I told my son about it.

A few years ago My Son went to to northern Alberta to hunt Deer and Moose. He asked to borrow my call. He used the call one time and a wolf popped up and he shot it. All of the guides and outfitters in the camp had seen wolves, only one had ever killed a wolf. The following year they tried varmint calls and there clients harvested several wolves.

Might as well try it--it will work, or not!

--------------------
DD, Ret.

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Hunting Wolves [Re: DoubleD]
      #144198 - 23/10/09 01:28 PM

Here's a tip:

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/article...-resumes-Sunday

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Ripp
.577 member

#144206 - 23/10/09 02:10 PM

Quote:

I was hunting moose in Quebec some years ago with no luck. In a moment of frustration I got out my coyote call-Circe rabbit and tooted it! I got an immediate response from wolves. Not Wolf, Wolves. I had no idea they were in the area. I could hear them moving closer as they howled and I decided to get in the boat and leave.

I and there clients harvested several wolves.

Might as well try it--it will work, or not!

Double D
that is exactely how I got my wolf in Alaska--mouth rabbit call and within minutes..one dead wolf..agree totally with your analogy..

Ripp

--------------------

450_EXPRESS
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/09
Loc: S.C.Montana
      #144218 - 23/10/09 03:07 PM

Agreed here too, with what we have to work with, calling is about the best option we have. I'd think food and territory. Distress calls and also use canine distress, kiyi-ing etc., as well as prey might be worth throwing in there too.

9.3x57
.450 member

#144221 - 23/10/09 03:25 PM

Here's a pic of the hide from one shot legally recently. Weight was 75 lbs, maybe 90 "on the hoof".

More or less any centerfire rifle would work on the medium sized ones. Some are reported to crowd 200 lbs, but the ones I've seen were closer to the size of a very large Lab.

Another method I read today; tree a pet coon, and turn your hounds loose to bay treed. Wait in camo cover. Shoot wolves that come in to kill the dogs. Not legal exactly today, tho it would be hard for F&G to prove a guy wasn't merely protecting his dogs.

I think calling will prove most effective until the elk are gone, which has already occured in some areas of the state. There maybe wolves are easier to kill for a time at least as they hover near livestock. We have two hanging around the corrals near a local ranch but nobody to date has killed them tho there have been some missed attempts I gather.

PBR, if you like, PM me. I'd be interested in reading why you support wolf introduction and wolves in general.

Image added to Game Threads

--------------------

Edited by NitroX (18/07/10 04:15 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

#144255 - 24/10/09 12:07 AM

Not sure why any of us have not thought of this sooner..WOW..how did we miss this one..

Call BO at the White House..don't you know he can take care of everything??? or was that nothing???I am not sure as he really can never make a decision..I think..I don't know, I'm not sure...

Ripp

--------------------

DoubleD
.400 member

#144282 - 24/10/09 03:15 AM

Lets see, if the wolves are eating all the elk, then to call wolves, you need to sound like dinner. I'll bet elk cow calls would work.

Wolves are supposed to be aggresively territorial, so male wolf calls---no not whistles, you pervert --Male wolf howls also coyote yelpers should work.

I would also think, I would not want to be calling alone for these critters. Hunt with a partner.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

9.3x57
.450 member

#144287 - 24/10/09 04:05 AM

RIPP:

I called, but the line was busy...

The way the Indians and Scandi-settlers here got rid of them was by denning them in the winter/early spring. Lots of snowshoe time, locating dens of pups and eliminating all of them. Such work required strong men capable of travelling long, hard distances in winter, and when I gaze at the belt lines of most fellows these days, I am pretty much convinced we are not a nation of strong men any more, tho there are some left.

Anyway, I believe Wildlife Services {USDA hunters} has used the same method in pack elimination, their work being made easier by the occaisional collar that assists in locating them.

"Home" itself may, probably will, become "bait" enough as game numbers decrease. As far as danger to humans is concerned, that is coming, the "bait" being us and our livestock and pets. We probably will not see the hundreds of people killed as occured in the 1800's in Italy, Russia and Finland, mostly due to the radical difference in travel methods {they walked, we drive} but right now where I live people have lost their ability to enjoy their land and the woods itself as far as their children are concerned. Nobody around here lets a kid play in the woods alone anymore, something everybody did just a few years ago. We expect more and more wolf activity close to homes as game is depleted. Making them easier in some ways to kill, I suppose. Staking out a goat is not really a joke. I have three butcher lambs left that are running around a close pasture, and four dogs that bark, but I really have no idea if wolves care about the dogs. We had one wolf standing on the old railroad tracks behind my house, watching the horses and sheep, yes, you can laugh who don't live here, but probably licking his lips merrily... It jogged off when confronted, but now, with a tag in my pocket, it might not get away so cleanly.

Calls, decoys, baying dogs, not sure what else.

As stated, most of the ones killed this year appear to have been killed like lion in Washington or bear in Pennsy, just bumped into while doing something else. NOT an efficient way to reduce the numbers of a critter that increases its population by 20%-30% per year.

--------------------

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #144288 - 24/10/09 04:17 AM

i was told of a method they use in russia and estonia.

they had people out tracking the animals and when they found a place where the pack were holding up they ringed the area(meaning they had a string with some square pieces of fabric on it each couple of yeards or so)
that apparently kept the pack in that encircled area and then they made a driven hunt with a few packs of dogs and a lot of people standing in the perimeter with shotguns and buckshots, it should be quite a sporting adventure since they then act as vild boar only faster.

just an idea a friend of mine were in russia a few years ago and tryed it, it must have worked to a certain degree as he came home with two pelts(really good quality)

i dont know how hard it would be for you to ring them there, but it is worth a shot if you can drum up the manpower

best

peter

PBR
.275 member

Re: Hunting Wolves [Re: peter]
      #144304 - 24/10/09 07:01 AM

PM sent your way 9.3x57

DoubleD
.400 member

#144331 - 24/10/09 11:26 AM

Quote:

RIPP:

Anyway, I believe Wildlife Services {USDA hunters} has used the same method in pack elimination, their work being made easier by the occaisional collar that assists in locating them.

Actually it's the collar-super cub-benelli combination that they prefer.

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Ripp
.577 member

#144332 - 24/10/09 12:03 PM

October 14, 2009

Boise, Idaho – Safari Club International’s Treasure Valley Chapter is set to receive a piece of hunting history as the Idaho Fish & Game Commission authorized the award of two Gray Wolf conservation tags commemorating the first public wolf hunt in state history.

Ten commemorative tags, bearing serial numbers 1 through 10, which will allow hunters to harvest one wolf, are being used to help promote gray wolf conservation and management in the state. The tags will be auctioned or raffled by six different conservation organizations with the proceeds going towards continued wolf conservation and management efforts based on sound-science in the state to help ensure that that hunters in Idaho can continue hunting wolves under state regulated seasons.

Winners of the tags will receive a tag for hunting and a framed commemorative tag from Idaho Fish and Game. Winners must also be eligible to hunt in Idaho and have a 2009 resident or non-resident Idaho hunting license.

“We commend the Idaho Fish and Game Commission for giving Safari Club International’s Treasure Valley Chapter the opportunity to contribute to Idaho’s important conservation effort,” said Jack Lupien, Treasure Valley Chapter President. “We know that Idaho’s hunting and conservation community will be excited about future seasons for years to come.”

Following the recent April 2009 delisting of wolves, Idaho authorized a hunt of up to 220 wolves per season. Safari Club International was integral in the fight to delist the Northern Rocky Mountain wolf population.

Safari Club International President Larry Rudolph said “SCI continues to lead the way for the hunting community in efforts to keep the recovered wolves of the Rocky Mountains where they belong – off the endangered species list.”

The Treasure Valley Chapter will offer Commemorative Tag Number 2 through an on-line auction on the Internet ending on November 1, 2009 at 10:00pm Eastern Time. To place a bid please go to: http://www.safariclub.org/wolftag

Commemorative Tag Number 7 will be offered in a mail-in sweepstakes. Tickets are $5.00 a piece or 5 for $20.00. To purchase sweepstakes tickets mail a check payable to SCI-Treasure Valley Chapter, with your name, address, and telephone number, to PO Box 133, Nampa, ID 83707. The sweepstakes closes on November 2, 2009 and the drawing will be held on November 16, 2009. For the Official Sweepstakes Rules go to: http://scitreasurevalleychapter.org

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #144334 - 24/10/09 12:15 PM

I suspect a coyote locator call will being them in for the kill. If another coyote answers, there are no wolves around.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DoubleD
.400 member

Re: Hunting Wolves [Re: DarylS]
      #144336 - 24/10/09 12:50 PM

And I'll bet they shoot the collar last!

--------------------
DD, Ret.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 22723

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com