Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)
NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: CptCurl]
      #144511 - 27/10/09 03:14 AM

I believe there is an enthusiastic double rifle hunter whom uses monometal bullets eg Barnes X, in his Chapuis 9.3x74R double and yes other persons whom have handled his rifle have said there is evidence of OSR. I have not seen the rifle but trust the guys whom have seen the rifle.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
400NitroExpress
.400 member

Reged: 26/11/03
Loc: Lone Star State
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: NitroX]
      #144516 - 27/10/09 03:33 AM

Quote:

I believe there is an enthusiastic double rifle hunter on the net whom uses monometal bullets eg Barnes X, in his Chapuis 9.3x74R double and yes other persons whom have handled his rifle have said there is evidence of OSR. I have not seen the rifle but trust the guys whom have seen the rifle.

Actually, the Chapuis 9.3 would be a decent choice for such a test. I know of three that suffered loose ribs with Barnes X and TSX, one that was very recent. I'll see that one again in January and will inspect it for OSR.

--------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 400NitroExpress]
      #144519 - 27/10/09 03:48 AM

400:

What would be the best caliber for a single-barrel test?

A medium like the 9.3 or a big bore like the .458? I thought .458 along with thin .078" walls.

Would that be OK?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 9.3x57]
      #144522 - 27/10/09 04:14 AM

It'd be hard to crack the ribs loose on a single tubed rifle. Make it a double!

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

470evans
.333 member

Reged: 30/03/05
Loc: Texas, USA
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: AkMike]
      #144528 - 27/10/09 05:13 AM

Ok Curl,

I'll volunteer. I have a Chapuis 9.3 that has fired less than 50 rounds of Woodleigh and Hornady softs and is less than a year old. If Barnes agrees to reimburse me for the rifle if it's damaged I'll agree to volunteer it. The rifle can be shipped to JJ for a pre test inspection to insure no damage prior to the shooting.

I would make myself and the rifle available at the Dallas Gun Club to fire 200 rounds with Barnes X bullets.

Let me know if Barnes would agree to the test.

Edited by 470evans (27/10/09 05:15 AM)

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 470evans]
      #144529 - 27/10/09 05:20 AM

470Evans, that's called putting it on the line now lets wait and see ! best and thanks, Mike

400NitroExpress
.400 member

#144532 - 27/10/09 06:08 AM

I'll come up and spell you on the shooting.

--------------------

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #144536 - 27/10/09 06:42 AM

Help fill in a thicky, whats the difference between the X and the TSX ? thx, Mike

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #144537 - 27/10/09 08:56 AM

Quote:

I believe there is an enthusiastic double rifle hunter on the net whom uses monometal bullets eg Barnes X, in his Chapuis 9.3x74R double and yes other persons whom have handled his rifle have said there is evidence of OSR. I have not seen the rifle but trust the guys whom have seen the rifle.

Gentlemen, one last thing here, and IMO this thread should die!
The whole thing that is debated here is one side declares the existence of OSR, and separating of ribs, and wedges caused by improperly made mono-metal bullets in DOUBLE RIFLES! In this 6 or 7 pages of tossing this back and forth, several examples of this phenomenon have been offered, and not one clear iota of proof that it doesn't exist has been offered, except apples to oranges comparisons, and biased opinion.

People who own doubles that have this damage have posted here, and most of us have posted about examples we have seen with our own eyes, yet we are commissioned in charge of showing proof, to the two people here who have not seen it, but they offer only single barrel rifles and chamber pressures in those rifles they have shot as proof that it doesn't exist.

It seems odd to me that dozens of long time collectors and shooters of double rifles all seem to know of this effect on double rifles, and the two who staunchly deny the existence of damage to double rifle by the use of improperly made Mono-metal bullets, are two people who have never even owned a double rifle, and I doubt either has ever even held one in their hands, or fired one in any caliber. Amazing! Yet they know all about what works in them, and what will, and will not damage them, and to what extent. Are these two to be believed while there are many right here on NE, and a hundred or so on AR who are aware of this effect on double rifles who seem to be mistaken in what they have seen. Perhaps they all had a joint nightmare! Nitro's post above is just one more example offered by our host here! Is he to be included in the disillusioned among us?

Gentlemen, this is not a unicorn, it is a well known real ANIMAL among the long time double rifle owners, collectors, and makers, and is always a thing a knowledgeable buyer looks for when buying a used double rifle, just like off face condition, or cordite burn, and loose ribs, which by the way, is also caused by the same thing, in most cases, as causes OSR. This phenomenon only bared it's ugly head about the time Mono-metal bullets arrived on the shooting seen, with a full 100 yrs of double rifle use before, with no OSR. That alone should tell a intelligent person there may be a connection, but not to everyone it seems.

................. I don't think we need sarcasm, but it seems at least one poster here seems to live for it. That is not needed in a debate, and those who use it are, most times, operating from a base built on quicksand!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: AkMike]
      #144538 - 27/10/09 09:16 AM

Quote:

It'd be hard to crack the ribs loose on a single tubed rifle. Make it a double!

Or a combo, still no word of a combo wrecked out there?

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #144542 - 27/10/09 10:05 AM

Bravo and splendid!

Call placed, and PM sent!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #144544 - 27/10/09 10:26 AM

Quote:

People who own doubles that have this damage have posted here, and most of us have posted about examples we have seen with our own eyes, yet we are commissioned in charge of showing proof, to the two people here who have not seen it, but they offer only single barrel rifles and chamber pressures in those rifles they have shot as proof that it doesn't exist.

This string went off the rails from the first page for two reasons, and the above is one of them. From the first post, it wasn't framed as a discussion. Neither "It's a myth, prove it to me" nor "nobody's proven anything yet" represent a genuine, good faith, or appropriate effort to gather information about any topic. Indeed, neither mindset has ANYTHING TO DO with obtaining information, or even conducting a discussion for that matter. That approach is only used when only heat is desired to the exclusion of light, and this topic was intentionally framed that way from the beginning.

Tinker summed up the second reason here:

Quote:

This is one of those conversations that would sound a lot different and likely go much more smoothly and constructively if it took place over the benches in our collective machineshop and loading den.

When the insults begin to fly in the original post and continue apace, it doesn't matter what the string is about, it's doomed to begin rotation around the bowl. That kind of attitude in the approach just guarantees it.

--------------------

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #144552 - 27/10/09 02:30 PM

Quote:

Help fill in a thicky, whats the difference between the X and the TSX ? thx, Mike

Mike, the X is the original Barnes "expanding" mono-metal. It's the same shape as a conventional jacketed spitzer, and has no grooves or bands. The TSX is the follow-on with wide bands, so the bearing surface is reduced.

--------------------

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #144585 - 28/10/09 01:25 AM

Gents,
Not to drag this thread out again...but here goes!

I was just reading some old Kynoch adverts last night.
In their ad for the then new nickel based bullets (which I believe was the first use of a "gas check") they mention the high pressures encountered when using the "solid nickel bullet".

Now, this leads me to believe that perhaps this mono idea was attempted over a century ago with largely the same concerns arising then as there are now.

Just food for thought...

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: Huvius]
      #144590 - 28/10/09 02:37 AM

Quote:

Gents,
Not to drag this thread out again...but here goes!

I was just reading some old Kynoch adverts last night.
In their ad for the then new nickel based bullets (which I believe was the first use of a "gas check") they mention the high pressures encountered when using the "solid nickel bullet".

Now, this leads me to believe that perhaps this mono idea was attempted over a century ago with largely the same concerns arising then as there are now.

Just food for thought...

No. The terminology is confusing to some. "Solid" bullet has always meant "non-expanding", and still does. It has nothing to do with "homogenous". There are jacketed solids and homogenous solids, as well as jacketed and homogenous expanding bullets.

The "nickel based bullet" referred to was their terminology for the metal-based lead bullet used mostly in the Nitro for Black loadings. The "solid nickel bullet" was the ubiquitous full nickel jacket, round nose - a purely conventional lead core FMJ with a nickel jacket - that was loaded in double rifle ammunition from the the appearance of the Nitros in the 1890s until the early 1950s, at which time the jacket was changed to gilding metal. The British sporting FMJ of that day was always referred to as "solid nickel bullet", and the jacketed soft point as "soft nose nickel bullet". You'll find reference to both engraved on the barrels of a great many British sporting rifles.

In the large double rifle Nitro Expresses, the ordinary nickel jacket RN "solid" worked well, and there was little demand to improve it. However, some of the new high velocity magazine rifles produced enough failures with them that Kynoch introduced nickel covered steel jacket solids - and softs - for a few of them shortly after WWI, but these weren't offered in the large DR rounds, as they weren't needed in those. After WWII, due to cost and, probably, supply (war rationing was still in force), it was found impractical to continue to use nickel for the jacket material, and plain gilding metal was used instead. These solids failed miserably, and Kynoch began offering gilding metal covered steel jacketed RN solids in double rifle ammunition in 1950-51.

The British never made an homogenous sporting bullet.

--------------------

Edited by 400NitroExpress (28/10/09 02:50 AM)

Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
      #144592 - 28/10/09 02:53 AM

400NE,
Thanks for the clarification!

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

500grains
.416 member

Reged: 16/02/04
Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 9.3x57]
      #144600 - 28/10/09 05:15 AM

That forum sent me off to a FEMA camp, so I am not able to post there or to PM the members. Sorry I was not of help.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Unfortunately we do not have anybody with past or present artillery ordnance education here?

You may wish to contact the person posting under the handle "Andy" at AR and invite him to join in. Andy was an ordnance evaluator for Jane's Defence.

500g, I have never been able to register on that forum. I'd love to but I can't. I've emailed Yemen or wherever that is many times, with not response and no fix. I have no idea why. As it is, I hope to have someone with several degrees in ordnance engineering on board soon. If you'd like to contact the "Andy" fellow please do. AR won't let me in.

ozhunter
.400 member

Reged: 18/08/04
Loc: Sydney, Australia
      #144633 - 28/10/09 06:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This is realy getting out of hand, why the heck is it so hard to try to argue reasonably.

Beats me. This one is so pointless to begin with.

I'm not sure if it's pointless as you'd be surprised how many people with doubles there are that have no idea of the possible problems in using some Mono bullets from their rifles.

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: ozhunter]
      #144636 - 28/10/09 08:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is realy getting out of hand, why the heck is it so hard to try to argue reasonably.

Beats me. This one is so pointless to begin with.

I'm not sure if it's pointless as you'd be surprised how many people with doubles there are that have no idea of the possible problems in using some Mono bullets from their rifles.

Oz:

I'm acutely aware of that problem and you're absolutely right. I agree that, at this late date, that's disturbing and that discussion wouldn't be pointless at all, especially for a unique forum like this one, dedicated to double rifles! Indeed, that's what this string should have been about. Unfortunately, the OP, a non-double rifle shooter, began it with "It's a myth, prove it to me". So instead, we've dusted off the '80s debate and are now poised to conduct "tests" about an issue that was settled 20 years ago, and that IS utterly pointless. Worse, it obfuscates the more important aspect of dealing with the issue.

--------------------

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #144637 - 28/10/09 08:13 PM

The double that you own which shows slight OSR on only one barrel, just wondering if both barrels were fired with monos, or only the one with visible OSR?

Also, can we please have some more details about this rifle, like the caliber and makers name?
Thanks.

450_366
.400 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 4seventy]
      #144640 - 28/10/09 09:51 PM

Quote:

The double that you own which shows slight OSR on only one barrel, just wondering if both barrels were fired with monos, or only the one with visible OSR?

Also, can we please have some more details about this rifle, like the caliber and makers name?
Thanks.

And when slugging the barrel before were there any differences as to wear or whatever?

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

400NitroExpress
.400 member

Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 4seventy]
      #144643 - 28/10/09 10:34 PM

Both barrels were fired R/L. It's a .450/.400 3". As for bore wear, there was practically none. It was a high condition original gun when I got it.

--------------------

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #144649 - 29/10/09 12:17 AM

Gentlemen,

Please act like it. No need for any insults or insulting behaviour from anyone.

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

450_366
.400 member

#144653 - 29/10/09 01:06 AM

Quote:

Gentlemen,

Please act like it. No need for any insults or insulting behaviour from anyone.

Now you step in, where have you been, out hunting?

--------------------
Andreas

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: OSR, Double Damage and Barnes' Response [Re: 450_366]
      #144673 - 29/10/09 03:30 AM

Quote:

Andreas -
And when slugging the barrel before were there any differences as to wear or whatever?

Question on 'changes' to measurements was asked pages ago - still waiting for an answer.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 93 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 205532

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com