Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Canvas Sling

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
RLI
.375 member

Reged: 01/10/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Canvas Sling
      #14351 - 05/05/04 10:09 PM

I have been looking at getting a decent sling for my .375 and above rifles, I have tried leather, suede leather, nylon and to date the uncle mikes suede leather is the better one but I have just got a Westley Richards canvas sling, 2" wide, leather brass button ties, and silent and quick to adjust. The rifle does not slide or move as the others and I think this is the best yet. Any opinions. Thanks
RLI

--------------------
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." — John Wayne

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Canvas Sling [Re: RLI]
      #14367 - 06/05/04 02:07 AM

I have a couple of the 2" canvas slings and I agree they are pretty nice to carry a heavy rifle with.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

zimhunter
.333 member

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Southern Arizona
      #14472 - 07/05/04 11:43 PM

Cabelas did have the same sling for less money. I have them on all my big bores. They don't always show them in the catalog. They seem to appear in about every other catalog. I have purchased within the last year.

Hobie
.224 member

Reged: 15/01/04
Loc: Staunton, VA, USA
      #14490 - 08/05/04 03:18 AM

Is this THE sling to which you refer?

--------------------
Sincerely,

Hobie
"Duty is the rent we pay for life." The Queen Mother
116th Infantry Regiment "The Stonewall Brigade"

RLI
.375 member

Re: Canvas Sling [Re: Hobie]
      #14494 - 08/05/04 07:19 AM

Hobie,
Yes, that is the sling I ordered it has been reduced from $89 to $69
ZimHunter,
I am not sure if it is Cabelas but it has the Westley Richards name on it.
RLI

--------------------

zimhunter
.333 member

#14495 - 08/05/04 07:28 AM

The sling from Cabelas is the same sling exactly with 2 rubber threads on inside for anti-slip. Brass and good leather and around $25. I believe they are Mulholland Bros.
Quality of the 4 I have is excellant.

RLI
.375 member

Re: Canvas Sling [Re: zimhunter]
      #14498 - 08/05/04 07:41 AM

I must have paid extra for the Westley Richards name but thats ok
RLI

--------------------

RLI
.375 member

#14570 - 09/05/04 11:14 PM

I checked the sling again but no rubber thread and in some emails from WR my sling had to be made up as they were out of stock .I think it may be British made, I presume Mulholland is American?
RLI

--------------------

zimhunter
.333 member

#14571 - 09/05/04 11:40 PM

I have no idea who makes WR slings. I know they sell Courtney boots from Zimbabwe and other products they don't make. Mulholland is a fine leather company in San Francisco I believe. Their products are second to none in my estimation. Don't own anything WR so can't really comment on quality.

Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Reged: 30/04/03
Loc: United Kingdom
      #14582 - 10/05/04 02:15 AM

I have a Westley Richards canvas rifle sling, only used it a few times but it has to be the comfiest rifle sling I have used. Quiet, easily adjusted and can be wrapped around the arm to steady an off hand shot better than any leather sling I have used. It is made here in the UK by Westley Richards in there own workshops. One small point though, it doesn’t look exactly like the one in Hobie’s link to the Westley Richards Web Site. Mine has an embossed leather strap stitched direct to the canvas, no brass buckle affair.

I suspect it depends where you buy your sling as to who actually made it, regardless of the name on it.

Regards

Phil

Geronimo
.275 member

Reged: 14/04/04
Loc: Michigan,USA
      #14583 - 10/05/04 02:29 AM

I have to fully agree with Phil. My WR sling (2yrs. old now) really takes the load off when lugging around an 11lb. double. Plus, it just LOOKS African, you know. Like phil's, mine doesn't have the buckles and things and looks a lot better than the one in the picture. Maybe you ought to e-mail them to see if they've changed the design. My PH liked the sling so much he bought one when he came here for the SCI convention.

RLI
.375 member

Re: Canvas Sling [Re: Phil_in_the_UK]
      #14592 - 10/05/04 08:33 AM

Phil,
I checked mine with Hobies link photo and mine is different it does not have the brass at the ends it is as you described for yours but I am quite happy with mine they might have changed to keep brass away from barrel and stock? Just a thought.
RLI

--------------------

Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

#14619 - 11/05/04 03:48 AM

Your right Geronimo, bought the sling for my new double but am using it on the bolt gun for the moment, just looks so damn ready for Africa.

Regards

Phil

cr500
.300 member

Reged: 11/10/03
Loc: Singleton ,Australia
      #14624 - 11/05/04 08:15 AM

My favourite is definitley the Safari sling. It keeps the gun slung across your body ,the right way up ,not upside down as other slings do. When its time to use the rifle ,its simple to just lift it straight up to your shoulder ,no messing around lifting the gun around.

congomike
.224 member

Reged: 20/04/03
      #14637 - 11/05/04 02:21 PM

At the risk of being pounced upon...my favorite canvas sling is the old late WWII, Korean war vintage M-1 Garand sling. Not quite 2" wide, but very comfortable, very easy to adjust and ususally can be had for around $10. Some modifications have to be made in order to quiet them down, but it is easy and almost free...just my .04 worth...(inflation you know)

RLI
.375 member

Re: Canvas Sling [Re: congomike]
      #14642 - 11/05/04 02:55 PM

I have used the web/canvas slings for SMLE 303 rifles and they are good but on rifles with fixed swivels you can not thread the end in as just to big, the WR fixes all that.
RLI

--------------------

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
      #14743 - 14/05/04 05:24 AM

I like the 7/8" one piece leather slings of yesteryear...I don't use a sling but I always carry on in my jacket or day pack just in case the need arises such as fatigue, but that is seldom, and for a belly crawl its handy..

I do make my own canvas (webbing) slings for my binoculars that I carry in the African carry over my right shoulder and on my left hip just above the belt and I can slide the binoc to any position I want such as on my chest and the canvas sling will hold them there all day long....

Nick_Adams
.300 member

Reged: 20/12/03
Loc: USA
Re: Canvas Sling [Re: atkinson6]
      #14813 - 15/05/04 11:02 AM

The slings I use on my Ruger #1 and BRNO 602 are from Trader Keith's. He advertises in GunList. They are nice-looking and well-made, and use brass & leather for attachments to the swivels. The sling itself has two "rubbery" strips running along one side. These strips impede the sling from slipping around on your shoulder.

I find these slings really dress up my rifles, adding that "British big-game rifle" look.

--------------------

Remember ...

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

.300 H&H.

Phil_in_the_UK
.275 member

Re: Canvas Sling [Re: Nick_Adams]
      #14852 - 16/05/04 11:53 PM

Nick Adams

I saw one of these “Trader Keith's” slings a few years ago, really well made item and it was what I was thinking of before I saw the Westley Richards sling. Had one of the catalogues sent over and was considering a Trader Keith's “Safari Six Pack” and a “Double Duty”. Any idea what the quality is like and how practical?

Regards

Phil

Geronimo
.275 member

Reged: 14/04/04
Loc: Michigan,USA
Re: Canvas Sling [Re: Phil_in_the_UK]
      #14854 - 17/05/04 12:13 AM

I have a couple of the Trader Keith's slings and have seen the other products at the SCI conventions. The quality seems to be very good. However, I find the WR sling to be much more comfortable with heavy guns due to it's 1/2" greater width.

Geronimo

Nick_Adams
.300 member

Reged: 20/12/03
Loc: USA
Re: Canvas Sling [Re: Geronimo]
      #14855 - 17/05/04 01:23 AM

Phil:

I have his most recent catalog which came in the box with the "culling belt" I ordered. If the leather work on the "Six-Pack" and "Double Duty" are of the same quality as on my slings and culling belt, I'd say they're all first-rate stuff!

I got the culling belt primarily to go with my Ruger #1 in 300 H&H Magnum, so I'd have a handy, quickly accessible place to store extra cartridges. I'm not big on a leather or nylon buttstock ammo carrier, mainly because the wood's too nice. And I'm sure the belt will work with my .375 H&H BRNO too. The workmanship on the canvas and leather belt is excellent.

By the way, this catalog shows 2 types of slings. The ones I have (called the "Trader Sling") run for $50.00. There's another sling (called the "Leather Strap") that costs $95.00. It's made of "British bridle leather including buckles," according to the catalog.

All in all, I feel Trader Keith has some fine looking "Big Game Rifle" gear.

--------------------

Remember ...

"Only accurate rifles are interesting."

.300 H&H.

atkinson6
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/04
Loc: Idaho
Re: Canvas Sling [Re: Nick_Adams]
      #15307 - 29/05/04 10:26 AM

Canvas slings are very easy to make..I make them for my rifles and my binocs..The are very good for binocs if you carry your binocs under your left arm, slung across the right shoulder..You can then move them to any position like on your chest or on your back and the canvas will not let them slide out of that required position...It darn neat, an old PH African carry trick, much better than any of the gadgets for sale in this country..

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7167

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com