Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: .264 Win Mag + Elk

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
.264 Win Mag + Elk
      #143462 - 11/10/09 08:23 AM

Here you go, Bonanza. 6 degrees Fahrenheit. Chilly even for us for October 10.

Not super big, about average for the type.

.264 Winchester Mag. Rifle Ruger Hawkeye, scope Leupold 2.5-8 {set on 4x}.

Remington 140 grain PSPCL. My rifle tosses this little pill at 2950 {65 grains IMR7828SSC + CCI250 primer + Win case}. Max load per Hodgdon book. {For those who don't know; Work up carefully, according to Hodgdon loading practice recommendations}.

The strike was at 113 long paces. I got his attention with a Hoochie Momma and he stood long enough so I could sit down and fire from my favorite sitting position.

Recovered weight of the bullet is 59 grains {42%} with a .37/.46 min/max expanded diamter.

Picture 1. Shot took the critter thru one rib + both lungs + cut a 3/8 inch deep notch in the backbone + exited thru one rib and was found under the skin on the off side. Total penetration was 16 1/2 inches.

Picture 2. Lower right is the entry, middle the vertebrae cut, upper left exit. Very little lost meat:

Picture 3. Lung trauma:

Animal dropped to shot, then crawled about 30 yards and became immobile. Stuck it with my knife.

I've been interested in how this Remington bullet would perform. I'm reasonably happy with it. It'll make a great deer bullet. Performance on the elk is about what I expected based on my testing shot a while back. My buddy is still chasing them with his .264. He is using the Swift A-Frame at 3000 fps. I would expect that bullet to have exited on this shot of mine here. In fact, I'd bet money on it.

Velocity in the test link below was 3000 at the muzzle {actually shot with my friend's rifle}. The test was shot at 20 meters. Total penetration in inches was, interestingly enough, just about 16 inches.

Here is the bullet test for the Remington 140 grain Pointed Soft Point Core-Lokt. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....0cdf77a41a9147f

140 Swift test, etc, for reference:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat....0ba226462aed485

Images added to NE Game threads

Edited by NitroX (18/07/10 05:09 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: .264 Win Mag + Elk [Re: 9.3x57]
      #143497 - 11/10/09 09:18 PM

Congratulations on your Spike Bull!!! That'll make for many nice meals this winter. It seems that 16" is the magic number for that .264, but I'm pretty sure that with a Barnes the penetration would be much more. Regardless, that bullet certainly rattled the clockwork of your bull, no doubt about that. The retained weight of your bullet is a bit less than what I get with the Nosler Accubond which seems to retain around 60% of it's weight; at least it did so with my Boar at 85 yards and my Pronghorn at 300 yards.

--------------------

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: .264 Win Mag + Elk [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #143499 - 11/10/09 10:55 PM

Impressive! I don't know the .264 but I think that 6.5mm 140s are very effective and versatile and seem to be becoming more popular with lots of new chamberings offered recently.

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: .264 Win Mag + Elk [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #143501 - 12/10/09 12:41 AM

Nice eatin elk. 9.3. I don't think I've ever seen a cleaner carcas, either. Good performance from that bullet, even though it's impact speed was still pretty high. It is a good bullet for that job. that the bullet also appears to have remained point on, also speaks well for it. Many turn after hitting something like that spine graze. In this instance, it worked just like a virtually identical hit on a young bull elk I made with a .45 Colt Winchester and .44 mag pressure loads using a 300gr. .45/90 bullet, sized down, of course.
Way to go.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: .264 Win Mag + Elk [Re: DarylS]
      #143504 - 12/10/09 01:34 AM

Thanks fellows.

Jerry, do you shoot a .264?

Yesterday's was a very special hunt. It is the first time I have ever killed an elk on my place during regular season, having killed a couple on depredation in a past winter years ago. Usually elk are not here at this time of the year.

Herd was spotted in a field the evening before. We made a plan. My wife, who only shoots her required range test every year just to show off and make the kid's teeth grind a bit, ACTUALLY decided to hunt this year! Usually whe wimps out. At the normal '30'-degree temps in the morning during elk season, she never hunts. She says its too cold, "My ears burn", she says.

This year she decided to give it a whirl.

So regardless of the 6 degree chill, she and my son and I formed our team and she went wide left, Sonny wide right on a long 7 mile 4-wheeler ride and then a long foot stalk back to block one possible escape, and I right up the middle. I stalked up the mountain and then my wife radioed me that the herd was moving about 800 yards from her onto a field and headed for the thick timber below me. Only one spike among them. We were all about a mile apart.

I hoofed it down, guessed where they might be, then herd them crashing in the brush "dainty elk-style". I gave my Hoochie Momma a squeak which sent the cows into the open, curious, jogging along, but the bull came to a stop and I managed to slide over, out of the thick cover, gun on him the whole time, then got down and locked up for the shot.

Had quite a celebration over the big neck roast last night!

Not only did the Creator give us a full freezer, but I got the joy of being "guided" to the critter by my wife! Doesn't get better than that!

All at 6 degrees Fahrenheit.

And she never once mentioned that her ears burned...!

We got her hooked, now.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #143506 - 12/10/09 01:41 AM

Quote:

Thanks fellows.

Jerry, do you shoot a .264?

No, I do not. After re-reading my post, I can see how that would've come across. I do shoot a .257 Weatherby and a .270 Weatherby, so I have the .264 covered by bookends. I was only commenting on the performance of the Nosler Accubond in comparison to your tests with the Core Lokt bullets at high impact velocities.

--------------------

Edited by Der_Jaeger (12/10/09 01:42 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: .264 Win Mag + Elk [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #143518 - 12/10/09 08:47 AM

Gottcha:

This caliber is becoming pretty popular around here for all-round use on deer and elk, with every report on its use coming in positive. I'm arriving late to the party, having come in through the window so-to-speak, in that I've been using the related little brother 6.5x55 with complete satisfaction for years, on elk, deer and coyote. The .264 is merely a long-range 6.5x55, of course. On yesterday's shot, the 6.5x55 would have done perfectly well, with the same bullet.

I want to see a well-dissected lung shot with the Swift A-Frame. One of my observations in testing is that the Remington makes possibly a bit "Bigger Holes" inside than some of the deeper-penetrating bullets do. It would be nice to see identical shots made with different rounds, traced and photo's. I've been able to do that with pistols and butcher stock, but in the field, it's tough. Thus the need for repeatable testing media.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

bonanza
.400 member

Reged: 17/05/04
Loc: South Carolina
      #143536 - 12/10/09 02:18 PM

Rod,

God bless the .264 Win Mag!

You have made my day.

I knew the .264 Win Mag was going to be a special rifle when I got it. Left had custom shop 1987 model.

That is a spectacular kill. Great photos!

Blair

--------------------

"Speak Precisely" G. Gordon Liddy.

"Life is absurd, chaotic and we must define its purpose with our actions" Abert Camus

"I''m the dude playing a dude disguised as another dude."

"Yo! Mr. White"

AspenHill
Sponsor

Reged: 08/01/03
Loc: Vermont, USA
Re: .264 Win Mag + Elk [Re: bonanza]
      #143544 - 12/10/09 11:39 PM

Congrats! Even better you have your wife hooked now!

--------------------
~Ann

Everyday spent outdoors is the best day of my life.

Aspen Hill Adventures

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #143545 - 13/10/09 01:15 AM

Quote:

Here you go, Bonanza. 6 degrees Fahrenheit. Chilly even for us for October 10.

Not super big, about average for the type.

Congrats 9.3

Looks like you have some good elk eating for a bit..

We were bow hunting them on Sat in eastern Montana-- ( -4F)--coldest I have ever been bow hunting--
insane

Antelope and pheasant opened here this weekend..used the 22.250 on antelope just to see how it would work--worked just fine--using 50 gr bullets..

Take care and nice shooting..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: .264 Win Mag + Elk [Re: Ripp]
      #143553 - 13/10/09 03:22 AM

Thanks folks.

Yes, Aspen, she is a bit interested now. She was all giggly about the elk! She might not mind a little Global Warming to take the edge off the record-breaking cold temps, tho...

RIPP: Congrats on the antelope! We do not have them here.

And one test I won't be making with the .264, yet.

OK, I confess and hope I can receive some pardon for missing a wolf this morning. It saw me and bolted before I could get a shot, then took off at high speed thru the brush and young firs. I swung on it and fired at the blurr but no dice. AAAGGGHHH!

There was another one, too. I didn't see it but it crossed my path on the other side of me, behind me. I could hear it running.

2 miles from home but right next to a road, a spot we deer hunt in.

Dreary walk out, I assure you.

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
      #143567 - 13/10/09 06:25 AM

Quote:

Thanks folks.

OK, I confess and hope I can receive some pardon for missing a wolf this morning. Dreary walk out,

UNFORGIVABLE....

I would bet there will be more opportunities...ones I am certain you will capitalize on..

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: .264 Win Mag + Elk [Re: Ripp]
      #143582 - 13/10/09 11:43 AM

Too bad about the wolf - saw a black wolf here on the way out to the RC flying field a couple weekends ago- had my brother in law and father in law with me - only time I'd driven out there in years, without the Hornet beside me - oh well, my bad --- too.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

450_EXPRESS
.333 member

Reged: 04/01/09
Loc: S.C.Montana
Re: .264 Win Mag + Elk [Re: DarylS]
      #143658 - 14/10/09 03:11 PM

I just looked outside and it doesn't look like lightning weather, so to do a little paraphrasing....Let he who is without a miss cast the first stone.

At least you guys will get more chances, our quota for the southern half of the state is now at three.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: .264 Win Mag + Elk [Re: 450_EXPRESS]
      #143659 - 14/10/09 03:15 PM

Thanks 450.

A fellow brought one in to the hunting store today. Big bastard went from side to side of the pickup. These things can make a coyote look a rat.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3165

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com