Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Hi - And why so quite

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Muzzleloaders & Blackpowder

Pages: 1
Rodders1
.224 member

Reged: 26/09/09
Loc: Richmond, South Africa
Hi - And why so quite
      #142768 - 27/09/09 05:05 PM

Hi There
I am new to this web site, and am a little disapointed to see that this particular forum is not very active!

What occurs?

I have been addicted to ML for about three years now, to the extent that I do very little hunting or shooting with anything else! Financial restraints (mostly caused by buying new Muzzle Loaders) prevent me from doing very much hunting, other than for warthog, but never the less I get out with my ML's as often as I can!

I shoot an Ardesa Hawken Woodsman in .50 perc, a scoped (sacrilege) Ardesa deerhunter in .50 perc, and a Pedersoli African Express double in .58 perc! I also own a Delhi Gun House 12 guage single barrel smoothie, which I am still feeling out!

I dream of owning a flintlock in the traditional South African style, or bobbejaan boud (baboon thigh - named after the shape of the stock) - would love to own one made by Glen McGill of Outeniqua Gunsports in Oudtshoorn, but his are custom made, bound to be pricey, and will no doubt be heavilly in demand, so I will likely have to settle for a Gelhi Gun House repro!

Anyway - thats a bit about me, and what I shoot!
hope we can get this forum more active.
Regards
Rodders

--------------------
Make mine a double please!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylSModerator
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Hi - And why so quite [Re: Rodders1]
      #142785 - 28/09/09 12:24 AM

Hello Rodders - welcome - there are a number of BP forums, some good, some great and some not so hot. This site gets most of the 'member's form those who shoot ctg. guns, new or antique - many doubles and some bore guns. I-too shoot ML's mostly, at least through the winter time here in Northern BC, Canada. We also hunt with them, my favourites being a 14 bore English Sporting Rifle my brother built for me in 1986, along with a newly aquired .58 Enfield model 1863 Musketoon. The 14 bore is my fovourite, and has dropped several moose for me with it's 484gr. round balls. I also shoot a .45 Longrifle, Lancaster style, a Tennesee squirrel rifle in .32 and a .40 cal. Rook rifle - all with round balls, of course. Only the 14 bore and .58 military rifle are percussion as I prefer flinters nowadays. Even the .58 gets fed round balls only and is very accurate with them, holding 2" at 100 yards. My initial tests with it showed minnies and Lee REAL bullets to hold 4" or larger. The short sight radius doesn't help with fine acuracy, but does still show round balls to be much better. They are also better killers on big game.

PM sent.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

CowboyCS
.333 member

Reged: 05/10/07
Loc: Kansas u.S.A.
Re: Hi - And why so quite [Re: DarylS]
      #142790 - 28/09/09 01:12 AM

Welcome Rodders1, There are actually quite a few of us on here who shoot muzzleloaders and there are more than a few threads on nitroexpress with some lovely pictures and discussion of muzzleloaders, you just have to look around because they aren't all posted just in this section. Quite a few of them are posted in the bore and paradox section and double rifles area. If you do a little searching I'm sure you will find some threads on muzzleloaders that will interest you.

Colin

--------------------
The Bill of Rights- Void were prohibited by law
Stolzer & Son's Gunsmithing

Rodders1
.224 member

Reged: 26/09/09
Loc: Richmond, South Africa
Re: Hi - And why so quite [Re: CowboyCS]
      #142828 - 28/09/09 07:57 PM

Hi guys.
Thanks for the welcome!
i will certainly snoop around the site and see what i can find.
Regards
Rod

--------------------
Make mine a double please!

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: Hi - And why so quite [Re: Rodders1]
      #142946 - 30/09/09 11:34 PM

Rodders1,

Well, many of us shoot muzzleloaders but sometimes we need a new friend to get a discussion going. You are most welcome as you have done just this!

BTW, if it is not too much trouble, it would be nice if you would please post pictures of South African made muzzleloaders when you have time. As you may have seen, we have some very prominent gunsmiths who post here and it would be nice to learn about South African gunsmiths and their work as well.

Very good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  DarylS 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3578

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com