Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Damascus hornet double...in progress

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Damascus hornet double...in progress [Re: baileybradshaw]
      #142120 - 16/09/09 04:57 PM

She's looking good Bailey I'm off tommorw to Africa, will email you when I get back, good luck, Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
baileybradshaw
.333 member

Reged: 21/06/08
Loc: Diana, TX
Re: Damascus hornet double...in progress [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #142343 - 19/09/09 12:49 PM

LOTS of machining to do at this stage, and there are a lot of details to check and double check. Make sure the vise is squared up with the X axis, double check positions ect.

Here the trigger group pocket is beginning to be machined.

1 1/2 hr later....

Climb milling finish cuts leave a nice finish. There is more to do inside the pocket, but I have to turn the action over and machine the trunion cavity. That will allow access to machine the slots for the sliding bolt.

The top side machining includes the top lever pocket and rough machining the side clips and breech face.

The breech face is left "rough" because I will have to smoke in the face with the barrel faces, so machining too much off will require remaking the shoelump/barrel set. I leave .005" to clean up with the file and stones.

Once the trunion has been machined, I can begin joining the action and barrels. Useing a dummy wrist pin, here is the first mating of the action and barrels.

--------------------
www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

Edited by CptCurl (01/11/09 01:18 AM)

baileybradshaw
.333 member

#142541 - 23/09/09 10:39 AM

Moving along nicely.

One lesson learned is to get everything that has an affect on the rifle being smoked on face fitted so I only have to do that one time. So the ejectors, striker bushings and of course the side clips are next. I locate and spot drill where the center of the bores will be. The firing pins are at a slight angle down and to the center of the action by about 5 degrees. Using a compound vise, I am able to drill the holes for the bushings, and counter bore the hole for the bushing. The bushing runs all the way through the action face, and the body is threaded. Here is a picture of the holes, and next with the bishings in place.

After the bushings are seated, I machine off the excess material down to the face. Remember I left the face with about .005 extra material.

I fitted the ejectors when I made the shoe lump, but since the barrels were not in place, fitting them requires machining the cavity where they ejectors will be. I would love to have a horizontal mill for this, but a modified keyway cutter is another way to get it machined. From here, I go in with rifling files and make sure it is flat and the ejectors fit.

The next step is smoking the barrels on face. I didn't have the camera at the shop yesterday when I did this, but I am sure most of you have seen it done. It's slow and tedious work, but I kind of like it. It ends up putting me in a zen-like state of mind and the time goes quickly.

Her is the action with the barrels on face.

With the barrels smoked in, I can begin work on the top lever and sliding bolt. Again, I use a keyway cutter to machine the slot for the bolt. The rifle has double underbites, so the bolt is too long to machine only from the bottom. This is one of those operations where everything must be good and square. Once I machine part of the slot from the bottom of the action, I flip it over and machine the forward portion. It the action isn't square and level in the vise, the slots won't line up and there will be a step where the cuts meet.

Here is a shot of the bottom of the action with hte barrels on. You can see the relationship of the underbites with the action. Nice snug fit in there :-)

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (01/11/09 01:19 AM)

baileybradshaw
.333 member

#142607 - 24/09/09 12:07 PM

Worked on the lock slide today, and the top lever is on the mill now. I start with a 3/4"x.140"x3" piece of 52100. Machine the top lever dog hole and the underbite holes. Once those are machined, the part is surface ground to fit the slot in the action. At this point it is heat treated and tempered to 42rc. Here is the part after tempering.

A picture of it in the action

I file fit the lock slide to enguage the underbites. I don't want it too far into the underbites, just enough at this point to lock down the barrels. It has about 6 degrees of angle.

While waiting on the top lever to finish machining, I went to work fitting the trigger group housing. I will finish this up tomorrow, but here it is with the front end inserted. The trigger group will be removeable for cleaning, just one screw at the rear holds it in place.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (01/11/09 01:20 AM)

baileybradshaw
.333 member

#142756 - 27/09/09 12:53 PM

Here is the top lever after machining. I leave the final shaping to do by hand as there is so much character in the top lever shape, I didn't think I could get it just right on the mill, and it's not all that much to do with a file anyway.

the top lever with the cam for the lock slide.

The action has an additional pocket for the lever cam, it's being machined here. I always get nervous when machingin in confined spaces. Machines can do freaky thing from time to time.

once the pocket is cut and deburred, the top lever and associated parts can be installed and checked for fit.

Looks like I did OK :-)

The rifle's future owner wanted sling swivels installed. I didn't want the front eye to be too close to the forend, so I made a small rib to create some distance.

and here is the top side

Starting to look like it's little brother ( the stocked rifle is a .22lr, this one will be .22 hornet)

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (01/11/09 01:21 AM)

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #142758 - 27/09/09 12:57 PM

If anyone had any doubts about why double rifles cost so much, the amount of brilliant work that these pictures show should silence them.

Quote:

Looks like I did OK :-)

This is the understatement of the century!

Thanks for the pictures, Bailey and please keep them coming. It is incredible to see this work of art in the making.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

hunt_ak
.224 member

Reged: 21/04/09
Loc: Alaska
Re: Damascus hornet double...in progress [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #142812 - 28/09/09 10:16 AM

No doubt! This is amazing. I'm guessing you made your own wedding ring, too!

baileybradshaw
.333 member

Re: Damascus hornet double...in progress [Re: hunt_ak]
      #143000 - 01/10/09 01:42 PM

I have the trigger group housing fitted in place and the retaining screw installed.

With that step complete, all of the internal machining has been done. Now I can start the exterior machinging. I use the 4th axis on the mill so I can rotate the action as needed. This is a tense process as a slip up is not repairable at this point. All of the external surfaces are machined leaving .005" over the finished dimension as designed. This allows me to finish the action without worrying about undercutting parts. .005" is actually a lot of material to remove with polishing stones and paper.

Here is the setup....

I figured a short video clip would be better than a picture at this point.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (01/11/09 01:23 AM)

baileybradshaw
.333 member

#143288 - 07/10/09 02:15 PM

Made a lot of progress, but didn't get pictures of all of it.

Once the action was rough shaped on the mill, I refine the shape with good ole files, stones and sandpaper. Most of this work is at the fences and arouns the trigger guard.

The forend is fitted with the latch assembly, and the barrel set is fitted with the bite. Once it is locked in place, I am able to shape it with the action

It's starting to look like a rifle!!

The next step is to fit and install the lockwork, firing pins and cocking rods. I also need to finish the ejectors. While have the machines running the lock parts, I will continue polishing the action and barrels.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (01/11/09 01:23 AM)

peter
removed

Reged: 11/04/07
Loc: denmark
      #143293 - 07/10/09 06:55 PM

bailey

you are doing a wonderfull job, i have been waiting for your posts with exicitiment.

best

peter

alexbeer
.333 member

Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Tasmania, Australia
Re: Damascus hornet double...in progress [Re: peter]
      #143295 - 07/10/09 07:39 PM

Quote:

bailey

you are doing a wonderfull job

Hear hear to that, love seeing where you are at.

Quote:

i have been waiting for your posts with exicitiment.

You and me both Peter

Best

Alex

alexbeer.com - Rifle Maker

--------------------

Details matter!

Rigby62
.224 member

Reged: 06/10/09
Loc: Quakertown, PA
      #143323 - 08/10/09 09:45 AM

This has been truly amazing to see, what incredible craftsmanship. Thank you for sharing this.

baileybradshaw
.333 member

Re: Damascus hornet double...in progress [Re: Rigby62]
      #143337 - 08/10/09 03:22 PM

Today went as follows...... sculpt and shape fences and shoe lump at the breech, then...polish polish polish polish polish polish... deep breath....polish polish polish polish polish...

Here is my engraving bench with microscope. I do a lot of fitting and finishing under 10x magnification.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (01/11/09 01:24 AM)

baileybradshaw
.333 member

#143422 - 10/10/09 03:28 PM

The last two days have been spent making wood shaving and dust. I changed a few features on my CAD program for my stocks since I made my prototype, so I had to prove the programing, and I certainly wasn't going to put an exhibition English blank on the machine and test my work. I have a few blanks on han dso I picked one that is nice, but wouldn't fill me with remorse if all went South. As it turns out, the stock had some nice figure hiding in there. Here it is, almost finished machining the action inletting.

Since the program was good, time for the real blank to go under the cutter.

And a shot during the final stage of inletting the top side of the action.

The inletting is not machined close enough to fit the action. I just get a good start on the cavity and it ensures alighnment.

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (01/11/09 01:25 AM)

baileybradshaw
.333 member

#143531 - 12/10/09 01:46 PM

This stage always gets me excited. It's that first feel with the stock that reveals so much time and effort. I must say, this one will be hard to see go. It feels great, fits me at the moment ( it will be too short at it's final length of pull)and due to the heavier wood, balances better than my prototype. Nothing like good, dense English walnut. Hope you enjoy!!

Two of a kind...

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (01/11/09 01:26 AM)

baileybradshaw
.333 member

#143585 - 13/10/09 12:26 PM

Shaped the forend wood and sanded the stock to 320. Also have the first couple coats of finish on. I use Permalin to finish my stocks. I like both the sealer and finish. I start by applying a few coats of sealer until it stops soaking in, then follow with a thick coat of finish. Let it dry for a ferw hours, then wet-sand the surface buildup off. Recoat and repeat until the pores are all filled. This stock will only take two rounds as the pores are so small to begin with. From there, I can use a couple of methods depending on the level of sheen desired.

Anyway, here are a few pics....

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (01/11/09 01:27 AM)

michaelj
.224 member

Reged: 02/06/09
Loc: Lakewood, Colorado US
      #143758 - 15/10/09 01:41 PM

Bailey,
First off thank you for this thread and just incredible work. With that said and with all of your obvious talent, whats up with that gun rack:)
Just kidding of course

Michael J

baileybradshaw
.333 member

Re: Damascus hornet double...in progress [Re: michaelj]
      #143772 - 16/10/09 01:13 AM

Michael,

Well......one thing I am NOT is a carpenter. The rest of my shop is not much better...kind of a "finish as you go" approach :-)

--------------------

michaelj
.224 member

#143785 - 16/10/09 11:40 AM

Bailey,

That must be the only thing you are not good at from the impressive list of the things we know you can do. It is good to know you are mortal after all.
Again thanks for the thread your work is fantastic.

Michael J

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
      #143797 - 16/10/09 07:18 PM

I could easaly build one of those gunracks, but i would be utterly amazed if i could come even close to building a gun like that, very nice indeed.

btw. Good to see that you use quality cartridges.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

Ironscot
.224 member

Reged: 14/08/07
Loc: Indian Nation
Re: Damascus hornet double...in progress [Re: 450_366]
      #144072 - 21/10/09 02:31 PM

I'm dying to see this thing etched and finished! Any thing new Bailey???

michaelj
.224 member

Re: Damascus hornet double...in progress [Re: Ironscot]
      #144838 - 31/10/09 08:57 AM

Bailey,

Anything new? Look forward to your progress report.

Michael J

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #144888 - 01/11/09 01:33 AM

Me too! Waiting to see more.

Great information.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

baileybradshaw
.333 member

Re: Damascus hornet double...in progress [Re: CptCurl]
      #144920 - 01/11/09 01:16 PM

OK, Here is an update....Please forgive the drop in quality of the pics. I am using an older camera until my good one shows up.

This is a shot of the bottom of the shoe lump/barrels. I've been fitting the ejectors and retainers. The ejector system I am using is similar to what would typicaly be on an O/U. Your basic coil spring ejector set up.

I've also been making and fitting the lock parts. I try to make mechanisms as simple as possible, which means as few parts as I can whittle down to. One way I accomplish this is to make the sear springs integral to the sear itself. The sear/spring also bears against the triggers making them return to rest after being pulled. The hammers will be driven by coil springs and are rebounding.

And at this point, the stock gets a coat of oil every day, mixed with a little rottenstone. I never do keep count of the coats, just keep going until it looks right. I would guess I have a dozen or so coats now...

--------------------

Edited by CptCurl (02/12/09 01:12 PM)

Birdhunter50
.375 member

Reged: 03/06/07
Loc: Iowa,U.S.A.
      #144935 - 02/11/09 01:03 AM

Your talents are truely amazing. How did you ever find the time to learn and master all these skills? Bob

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 24213

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com