Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: European Bear Hunting; How is it done, Where, With What??

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Europe

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
European Bear Hunting; How is it done, Where, With What??
      #142582 - 23/09/09 11:02 PM

We are smack dab in the middle of our bear season here {black} with my son hoping for a whack at one this weekend, so the subject seems timely for us.

I know bear are hunted in various parts of Europe. That's about it.

How about some details...

What bear, where, seasons, guns & dogs used?

As an afterthought of sorts, I cannot think of a better gun for our uses here than a good double, but I've never seen one on a bear hunt. I know, I should fix that...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: European Bear Hunting; How is it done, Where, With What?? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #142595 - 24/09/09 07:42 AM

I will try to tell some of the hunting done in sweden.

Here its the brown bear that is present at around average 150kg for males and 100kg females.
most are shot at standing (at bay) for dogs, the rest are driven, hunted from stands or even stalked, all the hunts are at daytime.
The goverment only gives licens for about 70-250 bears/year, the hunt begins late august and ens early or mid oktober and they are hunted in the northern parts, thats where they are present.
They are shot at ranges mostly under 60 meters, hardly over 100m, two shot/bear in average and they run around 100-200m and they are tested for trichinella.
The dogs used are stövare (dogging dog?), plott (north american) or any moose dog.
The smallest caliber allowed is our 6,5x55mm, but most prefer something bigger.
The semiauto guns are popular, but the cylinder is mostly used, for now anyway.
The doghandler looks to prefer a 9,3mm cylinder with short barrel, sometime even with the swivel attatched on the side (sound familiar?), and even sometimes at the mussel to keep the gun as low as possible when on the back).

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: European Bear Hunting; How is it done, Where, With What?? [Re: 450_366]
      #142606 - 24/09/09 11:52 AM

Andreas, thanks very much. Very interesting!!

I'm not sure what you mean by "cylinder"?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

450_366
.400 member

#142625 - 24/09/09 09:05 PM

Sorry, thats the swede term for bolt action. i was in a bit of hurry.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

9.3x57
.450 member

#142627 - 24/09/09 09:20 PM

Got it.

Plotts. They are used frequently for bear here. Walkers and Walker crosses are the most common here, with Blueticks, Redbones, Black-and-Tans adding to the mix.

Most fellows who run Plotts here do not mix them with others, and it seems that those who like Plotts don't like others, and vice-versa.

Muzzle low, yes, that is the reason for the stubby rig on my 9.3x62, and short tube also, though I don't work hounds per se. I just wanted a gun I could run "to the tree" with and also be able to use two hands to get there, and out.

I'm interested that semiautos are allowed. I didn't know that.

Mostly BAR's, or some other sorts as well?

--------------------

450_366
.400 member

#142629 - 24/09/09 09:50 PM

We are allowed to use semis but resticted to two rounds in the magasines.
Well any semi thats newer then some 6-7 years, browning, benelli, winchester,rem, sauer etc. mostly 9.3mm or 30-06 even 7mm rem. and 300wm (works great with those short barrels).

--------------------
Andreas

9.3x57
.450 member

#142632 - 24/09/09 09:59 PM

Quote:

We are allowed to use semis but resticted to two rounds in the magasines.
Well any semi thats newer then some 6-7 years, browning, benelli, winchester,rem, sauer etc. mostly 9.3mm or 30-06 even 7mm rem. and 300wm (works great with those short barrels).

Well THAT begs the question.......

What semi-auto rifles are offered over there in 9.3x62 caliber? Just the BAR, or others? I once saw a BAR over here in 9.3x62, but it was a rebored .30-06, not a factory 9.3x62.

--------------------

450_366
.400 member

#142644 - 25/09/09 01:22 AM

Lets see, i did a quick search (not my taste).

Benelli Argo
Browning Long track and bar
H&K 2000
Merkel SR1
Carl gustav 2000? probably a itallian one.

--------------------
Andreas

Paatti
.333 member

Reged: 18/01/07
Loc: Finland
      #142800 - 28/09/09 03:55 AM

In Finland bear hunting normally goes just like in Sweden, only plotts are quite rare in here. Baiting is banned.

JPBojinov
.224 member

Reged: 27/07/10
Loc: Bulgaria
      #165573 - 03/08/10 01:16 AM

Hello,
I'm from Bulgaria in south eastern Europe.There are mostly brown bears in our mountains.In our country it`s extremely hard to get a hunting licence for bear hunting ,not to mention that it`s very expensive.
In the last year or so there were some bear attacks that resulted in human fatalities.Recently there was a law passed that allows bear hunting for population management purposes.No minimum recomended caliber,no regulations on the guns-Semiautos(rifles or shotguns),double guns(rifles or shotguns)or bolt action.
The best place to hunt bear in Europe is in Russia.Cheapest tropy fees and great tropies.The most exciting way for hunting russian brown bear is with siberian laikas(east and west siberian laikas).
The weapons used for this type hunting are mainly rifles(bolt,auto loaders or doubles) or combination guns, recomended minimum caliber is 3006,7.62x54r or bigger.Bears can also be hunted from a raised hide + baiting or at their lair with dogs.
Another good place to hunt bear in Europe is in Romania(just north of Bulgaria).Trophy fees are more expensive than in Russia,but less expensive than in Bulgaria.Bears are hunted from a raised hide,with dogs and by a drive(like wild boar-Beaters,dogs and posts.)As far as I know there are two species of bear in Romania-Black(i think it`s called a carpathian black bear) and Brown.I'm not very familiar with the weapons used for hunting bear in Romania.A friend of mine goes there to hunt bear with a 300 win mag bolt action rifle.
Another friend of mine lives in Finland and hunts bears and moose with east siberian laikas.He uses a Haenel jaeger 8** double rifle in 8x57irs or a sauer und sohn drilling in 16/16/7x65r.

Nasluka!(good hunting or best of hunting luck)
Jordan Bojinov.

Edited by JPBojinov (03/08/10 01:18 AM)

Schauckis
.300 member

Reged: 17/07/07
Re: European Bear Hunting; How is it done, Where, With What?? [Re: JPBojinov]
      #167070 - 01/09/10 01:43 AM

Pretty much as Paatti said.
The number of bears is growing so much that the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry is actually considering to increase the number of licences by 40 this year.
Eastern and Northern Finland are the prime area, although also in Central Finland there is nowadays a fairly healthy bear population.

I don't have statistics on the guns, but the .308, .30-06 and 7,62x53R seem to be prevalent.
More experienced bear hunters have gone for the 9,3x62 or .45-70 lever guns.
I doubt if any sane person would use a semi-auto for dangerous game like bear. The bolt actions would be the most commonplace.
This year I have one bear licence for Lapland. I'm torn between my 8,2x53R lever action and my father's more potent 9,3x62 bolt action which I'm less familiar with.

A dog is considered to be fairly essential in bear hunting.
However, more experienced bear hunters have told me that few dogs, indeed, have the courage to go against bear.
One of them told an amusing story about a "tough" police dog who came yelping with its tail between its legs and took cover behind the police once it got the scent of the bear tracks!
Karelian bear dogs are often used, and the Russian laikas are considered good bear dogs, as well.
Apparently, the most common technique is that the dog will "stop" the bear by barking thus giving the hunter the opportunity to approach and shoot.

I believe some bears are also taken from stands where you wait in the dawn for the bears to come and feed e.g. on fields. As Paatti mentioned, no baiting, though.
At least this is commonplace in Karelia on the Russian side of the border.

- Lars/Finland

PS. Jordan: Thank you very much for the excellent post!

--------------------
A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Edited by Schauckis (01/09/10 01:44 AM)

Schauckis
.300 member

Reged: 17/07/07
      #167071 - 01/09/10 01:46 AM

Quote:

Well THAT begs the question.......

What semi-auto rifles are offered over there in 9.3x62 caliber? Just the BAR, or others? I once saw a BAR over here in 9.3x62, but it was a rebored .30-06, not a factory 9.3x62.

What Andreas said, plus the Sauer 303.

- Lars/Finland

--------------------
A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Edited by Schauckis (01/09/10 01:47 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4397

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com