Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06 [Re: crkennedy1]
      #143389 - 10/10/09 12:32 AM

Gryph;

Just received the package.

Maybe I am looking at the .375 bullet that will change my mind?

Stay tuned...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06 [Re: crkennedy1]
      #143397 - 10/10/09 03:23 AM

1st of all, we must be careful we don't let opinions and misinformation lead us astray. I prefer fact and experience to be the guidlines I go by.

Much misinformation is available, while much concrete information is also available. Personal opinions about a specific ctg., guided by their 'beliefs' or preferences can not be allowed to guide us on sitability of a particular round for a job to be done. A statement, such as made by dugaboy as to the only practical 'use' of a .45/70 fits this perceived opinion and misinformation perfectly.

I accessed several of my books on 45/70 data and rest assured, as loaded today, it's potential escalates it from it's roots and primary intention of use - that as an anti-personel weapon. Hell, the buffalo hunters of the 1870's through 80's found that out - should be bury our heads in the sand and say it didn't happen?

As loaded today, even if the allowable pressure of 20,000PSI noted by dugaboy was correct (it isn't), this round will still produce 1,700fps with a 400gr. jacketed bullet & generally 100fps higher speeds with a lead bullet of the same weight.

Although 9.3x57's 'Favourite Load" which matched the wonderfully effective .375H&H in test materials and on GAME, was shot in a modern lever gun, does not mean that speed can not be achieved with less pressure and be useable in a peceived 'weaker' action. The load he uses might produce more pressure than the Baikal can handle - I don't know - I seriously doubt it. I do know from experience, that with 'other' powders, that speed can be beated at even lower pressures than he lists as acceptable.

For instance, Hodgdon lists loads for 3 separate 'classes' of rifle, in the .45/70. They start with "Trapdoor Rifles". We can assume they mean original & replica rifles which are restricted to a certain pressure level. Their data runs up to a maximum of 28,000CUP with some pressure stable powders, bit lower, in the 25,000CUP range with most others.

We KNOW that in this particular ctg. case, PSI and CUP are the same numbers, meaning that 28,000CUP is actually the same as 28,000PSI- in this ctg. Some others share this trait, ie: .444 Marlin, .45/90, .458 Win., .44 mag. and .357 mag. Other ctgs. and case shapes do not share this 'trait'.

Hodgdon's Trapdoor Springfield data shows data for 300gr. jacketed bullets loaded to in excess of 2,000fps in 7 different loads, 7 different powders. Their data also shows speeds for 385gr. cast bullets to 1,819fps(25,900CUP) and 405gr. Cast to 1,718fps (20,900CUP). NOTE the speed and pressure!

Lee's data, safe for all .45/70 rifles in GOOD condition, shows 340gr. lead bullet at 1,850fps for a mere 18,000PSI, a 420gr. cast at 1,656fps at 17,700PSI and a 500gr. lead bullet at 1,532fps developing 18,400PSI.

Other data I have, lists .45/70 loads that do not exceed 21,000CUP chronographed in 22" bls. as in:
300gr. Nosler Partition @ 1,870fps, @ 1925fps and 1,908fps with 3 different powders.
350gr. Jacketed @ 1,730fps, 1,711fps and 1,846fps.
400gr. Jacketed @ 1,678fps, 1,744fps, 1,720fps, 1,666fps.
415gr. RCBS Cast @ 1,616fps, 1,616fps, 1,689fps, 1,710fps, 1,748fps, 1,748fps.
These 415gr. loads about dupicate or exceed 9.3's favourite load which does so well compared to the .375, in the baffles and on game - see, experience & concrete data is the best teacher, rather than outright untruthful statements of someones ill-informed beliefs - it is WAY ahead of the .30/06 - in my opinion, of course - the numbers speak for themselves and when coupled with experience, outweigh the aforementioned beliefs and statements.

Now, these are LESS than the pressure levels that hogdon says are OK for trapdoors and of course, are also just fine for the Baikal.
This piddling little 2.1" case as loaded above, actually is ahead of the .45 3-1/4" BPE, which develops another 5,000CUP with just it's black powder factory loads yet only barely achieves these smokeless, lighter pressure .45/70's speeds yet it must use lighter bullets than the .45/70. This old number is far from antiquated. With factory BP laods, the .45/70 developes an impressive 22,000PSI/CUP, as recorded by Accurate Arms and listed in their handloading book. I couldn't lay my hands on either book today, but they also list similar loads - in the 1,800fps range, at the same pressures or less than developed by black powder.

Raising the bar to 28,000CUP adds another 100fps to 200fps only. This is normal with such high expansion ratio ctgs.

My 1.9" .45/60 Sharps, with it's huge 1868 BP-type firing pin, is totally safe with a load of Benchmark producing 1,850fps with the 405gr. RP bullet. This load is producing under 19,000CUP as it is 1gr. above the starting load with that powder @ 17,100CUP. The longer barrel length helps, of course, yet in a short barrel of 22", this load will well produce over 1,600fps. It isno slouch. I suggest everyone interested purchase the Hodgdon Annual Manual - every year as I do. It also has some good articles - worth the price of admission in themselves.

Pick your powders and it's amazing what you can do with this old number. It is not restricted to 1,320fps with a 400gr. lead bullet - not today, it isn't - by a long shot, even though those seemingly weak ballistics kill buffalo dead - dead faster than a premium load in an '06 or .300 mag. THIS I've seen myself.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
Re: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #143399 - 10/10/09 04:00 AM

Quote:

Your cagey answer removes all need to assume.

As I said, you have never shot a single head of game with the .45-70 stiff-loaded with the Lee 402HP.

Try it, and you'll post a recantation of your snide remarks.

I believe you are honest enough to at least do that.

You are correct in one thing I've never shot anything with a LEE 402HP! I have, however, been shooting game up to and including Coastal Brown bear with hyper loaded 45-70s for years in a very strong Ruger No1. That makes little difference, however! Your assumption is that I have no experience shooting large animals with both the 45-70, and the 375 H&H, and that the 45-70 loaded with your magic bullet makes the 45-70 equal to the 375H&H. The 45-70 is illegal for all the big five over the leopard in every country where they are hunted. The 375H&H however is legal for all of the big five in every country where the big five are hunted. The reason for that is the 45-70 doesn't come up to the energy levels to be legal.

What you 45-70 crackpots don't seem to understand is simply because the barrel that carries the bullet from a 45-70 is .458 dia doesn't make it a big bore cartridge. The 45-70 is a good short range cartridge for woods hunting in North America, but when you get down to stopping power it is little better than a prayer. The 375 H&H with a 300 gr controlled expansion bullet does more tissue damage on large animals than any HOLLOW POINT bullet fired from a 45-70 at any range you want to name. The hollow point bullets are not a proper bullet for large dangerous game. What is needed is deep straight-line penetration, from any angle on tough animals like Cape buffalo.

I think you are probably the one who has no experience shooting dangerous game with either of the cartridges you claim to know so much about. I assure you testing bullets in jell, or wet paper is not what is needed to make such judgments. Let me know when you have taken a few Cape buffalo, and hippo with your illegal 45-70, and then we might be on the same level to discuss this. Till then, keep on shooting wet phone books, and an occasional mule deer, and making assumptions based on that data!

Today I own three rifles chambered for 45-70, and three chambered for 375H&H, and 75 other long rifles up to and including 577NE, and have taken "large" game with all of them above 25 cal, and dangerous game with all of them above 30 caliber. Somehow I get the idea you are under the misguided assumption that I'm a little 20 yr old punk, when I probably have kids older than you, the youngest being 45 yrs old, and the oldest being 53 yrs old. I was born in the 1930s, and started hunting on my own in 1940, and killed my first head of dangerous game at 13 yrs of age. So friend you peddle your vast experience someplace else, and when you fail to stop a pissed off cape buffalo (an animal that habitually takes an average of six shots from a 470NE before going down), with your little cowboy pop-gun your last thoughts are going to be "Damn, I wish I had USED ENOUGH GUN!"

..........................Bye now, hope to see you in the Upper Lupande of Zambia some day, but I doubt I will, you will, most likely, still be shooting wet paper!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

PBR
.275 member

Reged: 21/08/09
Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Re: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06 [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #143402 - 10/10/09 06:33 AM

Let's appreciate each round for what it really is. They (30-06, 45-70, and 375) each have different advantages depending on the load, distance, and animal.

450_366
.400 member

Reged: 17/01/07
Loc: Sweden, west-coast.
Re: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06 [Re: PBR]
      #143403 - 10/10/09 07:00 AM

Well wasnt this about the 30-06 vers. 45/70?

My money is on the 45/70 in the baikal that for sure, but could someone explain to me what makes a ,375 bullet better when passing thru an animal than a ,458 bullet doing the same thing?
As i do not contain the experience from taking heavy game with either, i would be glad if i got it right before buiyng a new gun.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06 [Re: 450_366]
      #143413 - 10/10/09 11:25 AM

I'm with you, Andreas - guess Pierce was hunting illegally when he shot 2 CAPE buffalo with a .45/70 Marlin, with one weak-kneed 400gr. factory solid (both buffalo = 4 shoulders) a load that can be dulicated with a Trapdoor Springfield at 22,000PSI.

I didn't know Dugaboy was as old as he says - but do know he is talking nonsense in much of his posting on this subject.

Just because the .375 is legal for some game in some regions the .45/70, he says, is not, doesn't mean anything to this thread - or any other thread. We are talking about ballistics here and a comparrison between the '06 and the .45/70, as laoded in the Baikal as well as hunting in North America and here, the .45/70, within the range MOST hunters should be restricting themselves to, if a better killer on big game than the .30/06 - there really is no comparrison.

It is interesting Frank C. Barnes said about the .45/70 - "Can be loaded to deliver very impressive knockdown on our heaviest species of big game" he didn't say that about the .30/06, nor the .375 - interesting.

Granted he was talking about loads for the Winchester M86 - Today, those ballistics are well within the relm of the weak actioned .45/70s.

Just because the round dates back to 1873, is no reason to continue using 1873 loads in it - especially when we have powders that render it on the same playing field with great, modern and some not so modern rounds, like the .375H&H.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06 [Re: DarylS]
      #143421 - 10/10/09 03:05 PM

Duggaboy1;

No one here is equating the .45-70 with the .500 Nitro.

In fact, this thread has me chuckling as I am usually on the other side of it, arguing that the .45-70 is no .458 Win or Lott.

As for facts, neither is the .375 H&H Magnum, though it is one of my favorite calibers.

Bullets matter. Not all hollowpoints are the same.

The Lee HP is one design that acts nothing at all like the typical, frangible varmint slug. In fact, to the contrary. The Lee HP has very thick walls and overall acts like a Nosler Partition, the front expanding violently, leaving a square-nosed, 300 grain shank to penetrate very deeply, as deeply as a 300 grain Swift A-Frame shot from a .375 H&H Magnum as I've demonstrated in test after test.

I made statements about the .30-06, .375 and .45-70 and I stand by those statements. At no time have I or anyone else here made positive statements that imply the .45-70 is anything it isn't. I might add that others elsewhere have published numerous reports of performance critiques of heavy loads using the .45-70 on heavy game and such reports support my assertions and vice versa. In fact, lots of reports exist that include documentation, photos, etc that support my basic statements, so there is of course no logical reason why I would support your contrary assertions.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #143442 - 10/10/09 10:14 PM

There's one thing certainly true about the .45/70. It elicits strong opinions on both sides.

As for me, if the question is whether to buy a Baikal in .45/70 or .30-06 the answer is easy. They are so cheap, buy both. Then after playing with them, either keep both or sell the one you don't like as much. There's no way to lose like that.

You will probably end up keeping both, as each caliber is great in its own right. They don't really overlap.

I really don't think anybody here is asserting that the .45/70 is a dangerous game rifle cartridge, which it plainly is not. Daryl says it plays hell on moose. That's something he unquestionably knows about. I'll accept that. I'm sure as heck not going to hunt something that bites or stomps using a .45/70, and I don't think Daryl is advocating that.

I've owned several .45/70's but never hunted with them. The Pedersoli I had would make a fine hunting rifle used within its limitations. Daryl says great for North American game. I agree.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

PBR
.275 member

Reged: 21/08/09
Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Re: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06 [Re: CptCurl]
      #143443 - 11/10/09 01:57 AM

Quote:

As for me, if the question is whether to buy a Baikal in .45/70 or .30-06 the answer is easy. They are so cheap, buy both.

That's not so easy

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06 [Re: PBR]
      #143452 - 11/10/09 03:20 AM

Love to have both - but - without a scope, the '06 might not get a lot of hunting or shooting, for me. We all have preferences, of course, as we are all individuals and thank the Lord for that.

I can think of no better guide gun or general big game hunting rifle here, than a .45/70 (or similar big bore) double rifle with iron sights. I shoot a lot with iron sights - 27 pounds of powder in the last year alone with iron sights. The double .30/06 cannot fill the criteria for a good guide gun as it lacks the necessary punch/knockdown/killing power needed on those rare, but sometimes necessary occurances. It will kill any game in North America and most in Africa, but it is not a North American stopping rifle for wounded moose, wounded elk or wounded big bears - the .45/70 alone between them has that potential - if fed appropriately. Eastern 300gr. deer hunting loads need not apply for this job.

If descent loads kick too much, learn to shoot it, mount a good pad, or wear one, but shoot it until it's a part of you.

--------------------
Daryl

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Re: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06 [Re: CptCurl]
      #143457 - 11/10/09 05:11 AM

Quote:

There's one thing certainly true about the .45/70. It elicits strong opinions on both sides.

As for me, if the question is whether to buy a Baikal in .45/70 or .30-06 the answer is easy. They are so cheap, buy both. Then after playing with them, either keep both or sell the one you don't like as much. There's no way to lose like that.

You will probably end up keeping both, as each caliber is great in its own right. They don't really overlap.

That is a very good idea with this little double rifle. That is if you want a one in either of these chamberings. I wouldn't want it in either chambering. They are listed by the makers to only be proofed for very mild loads. The 30-06 is a rimless cartridge, and therefore not the best choice for all North American game in a double rifle, for all the deer it is fine. Daryl's implied use of this rifle for a guide gun to stop wounded big game of North America, would be fine chambered for the 45-70 (as he states with proper loads) However the Biakal is not proofed for the loads he is thinking about. So in that use this rifle is out as well IMO. Again, IMO, this rifle should be limited to non-dangerous game no more dangerous than an unwounded large black bear in 45-70, and it and the rimless disqualifies the 30-06 in a double rifle for anything wounded. This little rifle would make a fine little handy 30-30 for hunting of North America's deer species in thick woods, and even black bear over bait.

Quote:

I really don't think anybody here is asserting that the .45/70 is a dangerous game rifle cartridge, which it plainly is not. Daryl says it plays hell on moose. That's something he unquestionably knows about. I'll accept that. I'm sure as heck not going to hunt something that bites or stomps using a .45/70, and I don't think Daryl is advocating that.

I've owned several .45/70's but never hunted with them. The Pedersoli I had would make a fine hunting rifle used within its limitations. Daryl says great for North American game. I agree.

Curl

I think when you state that the 45-70 is equal to the 375 H&H you have just said the 45-70 is a dangerous game cartridge! To back that statement up someone quoted Frank C. Barnes C.O.T.W. as proof of the value of loading the 45-70's use on dangerous game, stateing further that frank didn't offer the same advice for the 375 H&H! Well is that any suprise? No such thing needs to be said about the 375H&H, because it is a dangerous game cartridge, and needs no heavier loading data to make it so.

Anyone who has a modicum of knowledge of firearms loading knows the you never take any load advice from "Cartridges Of The World" , especially for use in a double rifle, without a very heavy grain of salt. There are more mistakes in all the editions of C.O.T.W than any book ever written on the subject.

I have no problem with this little rifle in either chambering being used for general HUNTING, but a stopping rifle it certainly IS NOT in either chambering. The Pedersoli, OTH, will take far heavier loads than the Biakal,and can be used for what Daryl is thinking of as a use to STOP wounded large North American animals, but I wouldn't include the Coastal brown bear in this use even with the Pedersoli chambered for the 45-70. Though the Pedersoli can handle higher pressure loads, it will not stand loads as heavy as the Marlin Guide gun can. I have one of these doubles re-chambered for the 458RCBS, and it will just come in under the minimum for the Brown bears. A friend of mine (PWN375)who posts here on occasion, had one re-chambered for the 450NE #2 and it does fine on even cape buffalo, and is in fact owned today by a PH in Africa.

I simply think these very optimistic threads on the 45-70 are dangerous to the young guys who think anything they read on one of these hunting web-sites is the word of GOD. And when a person states the 45-70 with a particular load is equal to the 375H&H without a disclaimer that states that load is only to be used in rifle far stronger than the Biakal double rifle, is IMO, a dangerous habit! This was my whole disagreement with this thread because it was mixed in a thread about a weak little double rifle without any explanation.

If used for general hunting both the chamberings, with factory ammo or equivalent, are OK in the Biakal but not with loads that come any place close to being equal to a 375 H&H magnum!

........................SOooooooooooo I guess we will simply have to agree to dis agree, and we certainly do!

--------------------
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

450_366
.400 member

Re: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06 [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #143459 - 11/10/09 06:48 AM

I need to ask you if the baikal has a 20000psi top stamped on them in the us or if you got it wrong, but here they are at 28000psi. If they are at 20000 in the us i would understand how they are so much worse then the ital. hammer gun, if not you got it wrong and you are making statements that doesent sum up.

And the 375HH as a dg chambering is tru, but isnt it the smallest one allowed in some countries?
That would hardly put it in the stopper catagory would it? But you are right the 45/70 in its original loads doesent even quilify to take moose here around, so anyone that buys one and gets a handfull of remington cartridges would be pritty undergunned for almost anything over a apache.

But i know that some people try to put the 45/70 as one hell of a cartrige in the 458WM category and its sure as hell is not, nowone here tryed to make it as one, but others in the us tryes hard. This i know is wrong, but i cant understand this fury over it being compared to the 30-06 or even the 375HH, surely a solid lead 400gr at some 2000-2100fps should be in that area at least, even if not as good as the 375 it should at least come close, shouldnt it?

As usuall, im not an expert, and im just wondering so please anyone educate me.

--------------------
Andreas

"Yeas it kicks like a mule he said, but always remember that its much worse standing on the other end"

DarylS
.700 member

#143481 - 11/10/09 12:37 PM

Andreas - you are absolutely correct.

I do know the loads listed there for the .45/70, for use in the "86 Winchester only" are good ones, with the powdrs used. I also know those ballistics can be met and exceeded at pressures wellwithin the relm of the Baikal. Dugaboy refusal to acknowlede this either means he doesn't handload, or knows little to knothing about handloading that particualar round.
Dugaboy is grasping at conjecture and outright fiction to backup his erronious statements. His guess at the pressure limits of the Baikal were incorrect and he's not backing off that crap. He knows little about loading, or his knowledge about loading that round is restricted or he'd know that any .45/70 will produce over 1,800fps with 400gr. bullets - with pressures at the 20,000PSI range. Just look further up this thread - I listed a bunch of them form several different manuals - loads that will put that Baikal into the 'stopper' field for big bears. Yes - big bears.

Care to guess at the ballistics of the .450 Alaskan, Harold Johnson's baby? Harold Johnson's favourite bear STOPPER was the load he used in his re-chambered M86 Winchester. It produced exactly 1,820fps. That speed, with the same 400gr. bullet can be produced in the Baikal .45/70 at 20,000PSI using today's powders. Advancements in powders have enabled us to produce velocities not dreamed of, just a few years ago.

We also know the .45/70, if loaded to 28,000PSI, will produce 2,000fps with 400gr. bullets - no you don't have to use the loads that require 40,000PSI, use the powders that give that velocity at the lower pressure - good grief!

I guess in Dugaboy's mind, the coastal bears, although very much smaller than in Harold Johnson's day, are very much tougher - or he thinks he needs the power to off-set poor shooting. One cannot come to any other conclusion.

--------------------
Daryl

Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
      #143509 - 12/10/09 04:33 AM

I was led to believe that the .45-70 can be loaded up to .458 WM power levels, ASSUMING you have
a rifle with an action that can handle the pressures, Ruger No.1 for example. Am I wrong ?
best
Mike

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#143513 - 12/10/09 07:11 AM

Daryl, a very well written post, outside the sarcasm, and you may well be correct in you paper ballistics, but Bears and moose aside, the big "bite backs" can't read you post, so disregard your expertise. Do you really believe the loads you are spouting are safe in the little Biakal enough to recommend them to a guy shooting one? If you do you have more guts than I think you do. Claims that are dangerous being recommended, without disclaimers and warnings of risk, from behind a key board on line are, IMO, a risky business. The misguided sarcasm I can live with, but the safety issues are another thing all together!

My whole objection to this thread is the smoke and mirrors that involves severely overloaded 45-70, in a thread that is not IMO, a safe load to use in a little tin can rifle, without making it clear that these loads are to be used in stronger rifles. That is more important than my opinion, or yours, but whether one wants to risk his butt using a 45-70 on animals that are likely to stick that little rifle up his butt, and kick the stock off it before he dies!

As I said earlier the results you get on paper, doesn’t necessarily translate to effect on a live targets. You are most likely correct on the new powders but I would still say any load in a 45-70 case that comes close to a 375 H&H in terminal effect is certainly going to be above 28.000 PSI. The difference in the effect issued by a 300 gr bullets on an animal at 2550 fps, is a zebra of a different stripe from a donkey 400 gr bullet at even 2000 FPS which, I might add, is very high for a 45-70.

Your assumption that I don't hand load is another assumption from you that is wrong, as I have been hand loading for every one of the couple hundred rifles, and handguns I have owned over the last 63 yrs.from age 10 years when I started loading. Now I probably have not pushed near as many bullets through paper targets as you, but I have poked a hell of a lot of holes in large animals with those hand loads. Paper targets don't run off and die a lingering death, or bite you in the butt when you piss him off. Research and development is fine for a starter, but the quality of that research is when the rubber meats the road, or in this case when the bullet hits the animal in the field.

If I'm wrong then I can live with that, but there is a reason why the 45-70 is illegal for the top three in Africa, and that is because it doesn't develop the required ballistics to qualify. The 375 H&H does, and doesn't have to be overloaded to do it, end of the story. A .22 hornet will kill a cape buffalo, or the largest bear in the world, but that fact doesn't make it a buffalo, or bear cartridge, and the laws are not made on what you can overload to but what the newest average factory ammo is capable of. Because a PH allows you to use an illegal cartridge for hunting dangerous game doesn't mean the cartridge gets more powerful for that purpose.

........................SOooooooooooo you can make all the sarcastic remarks you want but that doesn't make you right, and it doesn't make the 45-70 anything more than a novelty deer cartridge. The Bison actually taken with the old 45-70, are probably 1/3rd of the number shot with it and not followed up. I assure you neither a North American Bison nor the brown bear, is in the class of Cape buffalo. Simply because someone pokes a bullet through one set of Cape's ribs, into the chest of a cow behind also doesn’t make it a cape buffalo cartridge, an illegal 300 Win Mag will do that and it doesn't make that legal either. I guess we will simply have to agree to disagree, and we certainly do!

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06 [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #143514 - 12/10/09 07:12 AM

Quote:

I was led to believe that the .45-70 can be loaded up to .458 WM power levels, ASSUMING you have
a rifle with an action that can handle the pressures, Ruger No.1 for example. Am I wrong ?
best
Mike

No.

At equal pressures and the same bullets, the .458 will always outspeed the .45-70.

With a long barrelled rifle and max pressures, I have read of 2000 fps being reached with very heavy loads in the .45-70.

John Taylor considered his Martini-Henry .577/.450 adequate for lion, that with much lower velocities than max pressure modern .45-70 loads. He shot 480 grain bullets at, I suspect, less than 1400 fps. He also considered some of the BP Express guns adequate for lion and tiger, rounds that, again the modern .45-70 can beat. But did Taylor consider the .577/.450 adequate for all conditions for DG? No, and remember, most professionals don't consider the .375 totally adequate for all conditions, either. Maybe Duggaboy does, but I don't think so.

It is true I do not have African DG experience. I do have years of experience with the .30-06, .375 and .45-70. I am a life member of the KwaZulu/Natal Game Conservation Association, joined when I lived in RSA in the '80's, where, since the topic seems to involve sired children, my son was born. I have travelled extensively in southern, eastern and Central Africa, the latter in then-Zaïre. The folks I lived with there began control hunting of elephant first for the Belgian authorities and then Congo/L and then Zaïre. They shot many hundreds of elephant over 30-something years and of buffalo I have no idea. Lots.

Their first rifle was a .375 and later they added a .458. I learned alot about the .375 from them, specifically its limitations with the bullets that were then available. Their experience was the experience of success and failure. They had generally positive but mixed opinions of the .375 and passed those on to me. A super cartridge, to be sure, but no .458.

I have never shot a test of a 500 grain FMJ from a .45-70 running at an easy 1550 fps, but I am reasonably certain such a shot will equal the depth of penetration of a 300 grain .375 FMJ. Top bullets in the .375 shoot about as well as tops from the .45-70.

I do not believe in sticking with past prejudices if proof speaks otherwise. That "proof" I am finding more and more in legitimate tests {on game and otherwise} of heavy .45-70 loads, published more and more from a variety of sources. My experience agrees.

To equate the heavy-loaded .45-70 with the .30-06 is ludicrous. I might add that Daryl's bringing up of the .450 Alaskan is appropriate. I did an extensive interview with Harold Johnson about a year before his death and he was 100% clear in his assessment of the .450 Alaskan and the "Fifty" as he called the .50 Alaskan. In fact, he told me in effect, if he had had access to the Marlin .45-70, he might not have gone to the trouble of the .450. And he considered his .450 light years more powerful than the .30-06, THE CALIBER HE HUNG UP FOR THE .450.

Regardless, though, to be clear, to equate the .45-70 with the .458 is also silly.

But the .375? Johnson was adamant that his .450 was far superior ot it on big bear.

So we have the .375, a legitimate and classic medium shooting relatively light bullets at moderate-to-high velocity. Yes, I believe, if any comparisons can be made, one legitimate one is the rough similarity of killing power of a heavy-loaded .45-70 and the .375, at short range, with best bullets fired in each one. In some cases the .45-70 may indeed be superior, but as to versatility, there is no question, the .375 beats it hands down.

{post edited after I checked my Johnson notes}

--------------------

Edited by 9.3x57 (12/10/09 08:31 AM)

450_366
.400 member

#143516 - 12/10/09 08:25 AM

I think that the two schools of small fast bullets and slow thick ones are the problem here, duggaboy att the ,375 end and daryl and 9,3x57 at the other.

But why is a 458 bullet passing thru a body at the same lenght as a 375 so much worse?
I alway thought that a blunt object would be worse then a sharp/smaller one. Some time ago i slipped when trying to bend open a "sealed" air filter and ran a broken off screwdriver some 4-6mm into my left palm, and my god that hurt, i would rather take a knife and run it clean thru any day. My point is that a blunt 458 even at a lower speed should in my book be better of than a thinner one given equal penetration.

So please educate me, why is it so much better with the 375.

btw, a quick look at a powder manufactors web a 300grs bullet at under 28000psi would give 2425fps, thats not bad, but to light for the bore sadly.

--------------------
Andreas

9.3x57
.450 member

#143517 - 12/10/09 08:46 AM

Daryl, a slight correction; Johnson's first .450 was made with a 71 action. His "Fifty" was built on a '86 action.

Actually, 450366, I can't say I'm a slow/fat aficionado, per se. Rather, I'm saying that the .375 and heavy .45-70 are equivalents at close range, with the .45-70 possibly better under certain conditions at close range, the .375 certainly better under conditions of longer range shooting.

The issue at hand; the Baikal, is an interesting one. I wish these discussions could stay on the technical and theoretical without people like Duggaboy slipping into a raging, frothing fit.

The topic itself REALLY is interesting.

Let's remember, that every bullet advance that has improved the .375 has also improved the .30-06. It is not the .30-06 of Johnson's day. But...bullet advances have not left the .45-70 behind, either.

Question 1; What max working pressure will the Baikal stand??

Question 2; What is the maximum working speed a 400 grain bullet can be driven from a .45-70 in the Baikal?

Those questions seem to be tough enough to answer, but if a 400 grain bullet can be driven at 1800-1950 from that gun, it is a very good gun for heavy game at close range.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#143524 - 12/10/09 10:29 AM

I guess I typed this post out for nothing - eh!

Note the loads listed - at BELOW 20,000PSI/CUP. Yes - I recommend these loads to ANYONE with a weak actioned rifle.

According to Andreas, the Baikal is OK'd in his country for 28,000PSI - you know what that means? - 1,900fps with a 400gr. jacketed and approximately 2,000fps with a 400gr. CAST using the same load. Now, I know 1800fps with 400gr. bullets of PROPER construction is strong medicine for all North American game, including the big bears. Adding another 100fps or 200fps with it's added penetration with properly constructed bullets is just icing.

I know the '06 is better today than 40/50 years ago, but so is the .45/70 greatly improved as well. Folks just need to stop using 1940 data and buy some new books.

I never gave any loading data - not once - the books have it all - one merely needs to read them along with their disclosures.

In order to match the speeds of a .458 Win mag, a .45/70 would require the same case capacity - it doesn't, therefore it can't.

I see in Dugaboy's last post, he's calling Brian Pierce out on his two cape buffalo - Dugaboy says they were 4 lung shots, while the article plainly states:
Quote:

The Cor-Bon 405-grain PEN soild on the left was recovered after penetrating both shoulders of a Cape buffalo bull and both shoudlers of a cow standing seven yards beyond. The bullet on the right was recovered after striking the buffalo in the rump, then penetrating legnthwise taking off the top of the heart and lodging in the brisket

Contrary to Dugaboy's claims, this seems a mite better than the .22Hornet he used for comparrison.

ealier post

Quote:

1st of all, we must be careful we don't let opinions and misinformation lead us astray. I prefer fact and experience to be the guidlines I go by.

Much misinformation is available, while much concrete information is also available. Personal opinions about a specific ctg., guided by their 'beliefs' or preferences can not be allowed to guide us on sitability of a particular round for a job to be done. A statement, such as made by dugaboy as to the only practical 'use' of a .45/70 fits this perceived opinion and misinformation perfectly.

I accessed several of my books on 45/70 data and rest assured, as loaded today, it's potential escalates it from it's roots and primary intention of use - that as an anti-personel weapon. Hell, the buffalo hunters of the 1870's through 80's found that out - should be bury our heads in the sand and say it didn't happen?

As loaded today, even if the allowable pressure of 20,000PSI noted by dugaboy was correct (it isn't), this round will still produce 1,700fps with a 400gr. jacketed bullet & generally 100fps higher speeds with a lead bullet of the same weight.

Although 9.3x57's 'Favourite Load" which matched the wonderfully effective .375H&H in test materials and on GAME, was shot in a modern lever gun, does not mean that speed can not be achieved with less pressure and be useable in a peceived 'weaker' action. The load he uses might produce more pressure than the Baikal can handle - I don't know - I seriously doubt it. I do know from experience, that with 'other' powders, that speed can be beated at even lower pressures than he lists as acceptable.

For instance, Hodgdon lists loads for 3 separate 'classes' of rifle, in the .45/70. They start with "Trapdoor Rifles". We can assume they mean original & replica rifles which are restricted to a certain pressure level. Their data runs up to a maximum of 28,000CUP with some pressure stable powders, bit lower, in the 25,000CUP range with most others.

We KNOW that in this particular ctg. case, PSI and CUP are the same numbers, meaning that 28,000CUP is actually the same as 28,000PSI- in this ctg. Some others share this trait, ie: .444 Marlin, .45/90, .458 Win., .44 mag. and .357 mag. Other ctgs. and case shapes do not share this 'trait'.

Hodgdon's Trapdoor Springfield data shows data for 300gr. jacketed bullets loaded to in excess of 2,000fps in 7 different loads, 7 different powders. Their data also shows speeds for 385gr. cast bullets to 1,819fps(25,900CUP) and 405gr. Cast to 1,718fps (20,900CUP). NOTE the speed and pressure!

Lee's data, safe for all .45/70 rifles in GOOD condition, shows 340gr. lead bullet at 1,850fps for a mere 18,000PSI, a 420gr. cast at 1,656fps at 17,700PSI and a 500gr. lead bullet at 1,532fps developing 18,400PSI.

Other data I have, lists .45/70 loads that do not exceed 21,000CUP chronographed in 22" bls. as in:
300gr. Nosler Partition @ 1,870fps, @ 1925fps and 1,908fps with 3 different powders.
350gr. Jacketed @ 1,730fps, 1,711fps and 1,846fps.
400gr. Jacketed @ 1,678fps, 1,744fps, 1,720fps, 1,666fps.
415gr. RCBS Cast @ 1,616fps, 1,616fps, 1,689fps, 1,710fps, 1,748fps, 1,748fps.
These 415gr. loads about dupicate or exceed 9.3's favourite load which does so well compared to the .375, in the baffles and on game - see, experience & concrete data is the best teacher, rather than outright untruthful statements of someones ill-informed beliefs - it is WAY ahead of the .30/06 - in my opinion, of course - the numbers speak for themselves and when coupled with experience, outweigh the aforementioned beliefs and statements.

Now, these are LESS than the pressure levels than Hodgdon says are OK for trapdoors and of course, are also just fine for the Baikal.
This piddling little 2.1" case as loaded above, actually is ahead of the .45 3-1/4" BPE, which develops another 5,000CUP with just it's black powder factory loads yet only barely achieves these smokeless, lighter pressure .45/70's speeds yet it must use lighter bullets than the .45/70. This old number is far from antiquated. With factory BP laods, the .45/70 developes an impressive 22,000PSI/CUP, as recorded by Accurate Arms and listed in their handloading book. I couldn't lay my hands on either book today, but they also list similar loads - in the 1,800fps range, at the same pressures or less than developed by black powder.

Raising the bar to 28,000CUP adds another 100fps to 200fps only. This is normal with such high expansion ratio ctgs.

My 1.9" .45/60 Sharps, with it's huge 1868 BP-type firing pin, is totally safe with a load of Benchmark producing 1,850fps with the 405gr. RP bullet. This load is producing under 19,000CUP as it is 1gr. above the starting load with that powder @ 17,100CUP. The longer barrel length helps, of course, yet in a short barrel of 22", this load will well produce over 1,600fps. It isno slouch. I suggest everyone interested purchase the Hodgdon Annual Manual - every year as I do. It also has some good articles - worth the price of admission in themselves.

Pick your powders and it's amazing what you can do with this old number. It is not restricted to 1,320fps with a 400gr. lead bullet - not today, it isn't - by a long shot, even though those seemingly weak ballistics kill buffalo dead - dead faster than a premium load in an '06 or .300 mag. THIS I've seen myself.

--------------------
Daryl

9.3x57
.450 member

#143533 - 12/10/09 02:07 PM

Daryl, I never meant to disparage your posts, but rather, to support them. You are right to direct everyone to the books. They prove the point well enough as you note.

As you say, if 400/1800 can be reached with modern powders and 20,000 psi, the Baikal is "enough gun" for all North American game. And if the Baikal is proofed to higher pressures with the .30-06 {or other calibers} then the question is, is the action the same, and if so...

There seems to be some dispute about that in other threads on this Forum. I really have no idea what pressures the Baikal in .45-70 can handle.

As for which to pick, .30-06 or .45-70, something came to me while sitting my stand UN-successfully deer hunting.

The 100 yard accuracy potential of some of these guns {by report, not by my experience since I don't have any} seems to indicate, frankly, that the guns are best used at 150 yards or less...regardless of caliber, the accuracy being the limiting factor for big game.

In light of that, I'd take the .45-70 any day over the option, the .30-06, in the Baikal. Meaning, IF I'm limited to 150 yard shots due to the accuracy of the guns, the .45-70 would get my nod every time.

So one extra question would be; How accurate ARE the guns???

Anybody worked up loads for .30-06 and .45-70??

--------------------

Edited by 9.3x57 (12/10/09 11:25 PM)

MrJudgeOC
.224 member

Reged: 03/06/08
Loc: Washington, USA
      #143549 - 13/10/09 02:41 AM

If you convert what is on the bbl of the 45-70 to psi, it comes to 28,800. The same as what Remington said.

Speer, Lyman, Accurate, Alliant, Vihtavuori, Hodgdon and Hornady all offer data with pressure info that puts this round well above recognized "Trapdoor" loads.

I have both guns and have done extensive load testing with both. None of the below loads showed any signs of pressure. No flattened primers, cases just fell out etc...

30-06 180 grain jacketed at 2600fps and 220 grain jacketed at 2400fps, both with IMR4350.

45-70 350 grain jacketed at 1800fps and 405 grain jacketed at 1700fps, both with Reloader 7.
Used various lead (gas checked and not) bullets with results slightly faster than jacketed.

I've also came up with some loads that were faster that were "safe", but went back to the above loads for regulation.

I don't have a dog in this fight and do not wish to. Just stating what I've done and found.

Mike

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06 [Re: MrJudgeOC]
      #143550 - 13/10/09 02:57 AM

Quote:

I have both guns and have done extensive load testing with both. None of the below loads showed any signs of pressure. No flattened primers, cases just fell out etc...

Welcome to the Forum!!

And thanks for posting!

What accuracy are you getting? Please give as much detail as you can, as some of us that are interested in them are really curious. For example, even with the adjustable barrels, I've read reports of barrels shooting no closer than 4 inches at 100 yards, with center-to-center of farthest shots in four shot groups going about 6 inches. If that is about what can be expected, the ranging capability of the .30-06 is gone to waste. This is where Curl's suggestion might be a really good one; Buy both and sell the lemon, unless neither are lemons...
Anyway, your experience and comments would be very interesting.

I don't have a dog in this fight and do not wish to. Just stating what I've done and found.

Oh, if it were only that easy...............

--------------------

Edited by 9.3x57 (13/10/09 02:59 AM)

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Baikal 45-70 vs 30-06 [Re: MrJudgeOC]
      #143552 - 13/10/09 03:06 AM

Thanks Mike & 9.3x57, I wasn't questioning your intent.

As to fight - I cannot see why there even was one. The facts speak for themselves.
Now, if you don't handload and don't want to, factory ammo is avialable which brings the .45/70 up to date as Mike's loads show.
CorBon is only one of these new manufacturers of higher power .45/70's. I'd call them to find out about their pressure data on the loads they offer.

--------------------
Daryl

DUGABOY1
.400 member

#143554 - 13/10/09 03:54 AM

Quote:

I think that the two schools of small fast bullets and slow thick ones are the problem here, duggaboy att the ,375 end and daryl and 9,3x57 at the other.

But why is a 458 bullet passing thru a body at the same lenght as a 375 so much worse?
I alway thought that a blunt object would be worse then a sharp/smaller one. Some time ago i slipped when trying to bend open a "sealed" air filter and ran a broken off screwdriver some 4-6mm into my left palm, and my god that hurt, i would rather take a knife and run it clean thru any day. My point is that a blunt 458 even at a lower speed should in my book be better of than a thinner one given equal penetration.

Actually I'm for the big blunt bullet, but the example someone gave about the 45-70 shooting through a Cape Buffalo at killing a cow behind the bull was a broad side shot through the "RIBS", and just about anything from 30-06 up will penetrate like that through the rib-cage. A big blunt bullet that will penetrate from any angle through heavy bone of the shoulders, or get into the chest cavity from a shot through the hip, rangeing forward through the pounch is what is needed, the 375H&H will do that,even on a cape buffalo which is a lot tougher than a brown bearm, or moose. The 45-70 will not! The 375H&H is about minimum for anything very large or dangerous, and will penetrate far better, from all angles, than a 45-70 even hot loaded. Those classic heart/lung shots are not always offered, especially if he is advanceing on you.

Quote:

So please educate me, why is it so much better with the 375.

btw, a quick look at a powder manufactors web a 300grs bullet at under 28000psi would give 2425fps, thats not bad, but to light for the bore sadly.

In a strong single barreled rifle I have no problem with a load like was offered with the magic bullet,(unless it is made with the pressure rings like the North Fork) which is a mono-metal bullet if without the pressure rings, is not suitable for a double rifle, and this thread is about a double rifle,after all, and a weak one at that. The problem here is reccomending not only a hot load, but one useing a Monometal, solid shank, bullet in a thread concerning a double rifle without a caution, is irrsponsible. This is the problem with folks offering advice on loads for double rifles, when they don't know much about what is, and is not to be used in double rifles. IMO, the guy who buys the Baikal double is very new to double rifles, and will try anything some with seemingly expertise offers as a real MAGIC LOAD. People who have loaded thousands of rounds for every type of gun except double rifles, are always the ones these mistakes. This is the case here I fear. Because something works in another type rifle, and makes impressive paper numbers, is not always the best choice for another type rifle, or on a game animal.

The only mono-metal bullets that are safe to use in a double rifle are the North fork "NEW" mono-based soft, and the CPS, and FPS solids. The GS Custom is good as well but are hard to come by. If, however, the Lee bullet has proper pressure rings to avoid the barrels haveing to engrave a groove size solid shank, then to bullet may be OK. The mono-metal solid without the pressure rings is a NO-NO even on a very well made double rifle, and certainly not reccomended in the Baikal.

I simply do not understand this facination with folks trying to make the fine old 45-70 into something it was never meant to be! I happen to love the old war horse, and have a double rifle so chambered, and Ruger No1 as well, and an 1895 Marlin with the barrel cut down to a trapper 16 1/4" with a custom magazine tube that is full length to the muzzle, that I carry on a sling over the top post of my pack-frame while fishing in Alaska. The loads in it are hot even for the Ruger No1, and use the North fork CPS bullet. It is not the best cartridge for the purpose, but the rifle is handy, and much better than any handgun that everybody seems to carry for this purpose. There is a use for hot loaded 45-70, but not in a double rifle, or one that is as weak as the Baikal, and I wouldn't want to push a steady diet of my loads through the Marlin, but in a self defense sittuation I risk it.

Which do you think kills large dangerous animals better numbers from a bench, or bullets doing their job properly in the animals in question? I go with what works on the animals, not the numbers generated on paper targets. Others may do as it suits, so if the 45-70 floats your ddangerous game canoe, then load up , and paddle on down stream.

--------------------

DarylS
.700 member

#143555 - 13/10/09 04:00 AM

So - at 28,500PSI - that adds a bit more to the equation, guys, which is a direct benefit to the .45/70.

Straight off Brian's article, which lists comprehensive loads "that do not exceed, 21,000CUP, that do not exceed 28,000CUP, that do not exceed 35,000CUP that do not exceed 43,000CUP". the below powder slist and speeds obtained are for the "Do Not Exceed 28,000CUP"/PSI.

I've already printed speeds and powders under the very light, 21,000CUP data, well, here's the 'That do not Exceed 28,000CUP.(note that Speer's Marlin data is restrcited to 28,000CUP for their 400gr. bullet, while the industry standard for that rifle is 43,000CUP. Note also that in this round, CUP and PSI are the same number.

OK - not over 28,000CUP which is safe according to Baikal in their double - see below the powders used and the speeds obtained in a 22" barrel: If you do not have the article form handloader #248, the August-September 2007 issue, write me at home and I'll give you a few of the actual loads - starting and max.

300gr. Nosler Partition - VV-N133--------- 2,305fps
------------------------- H4198----------- 2,305fps
350gr. Hornady FP or RN - AA2015---------- 1,980fps
------------------------- H4895----------- 1,833fps
400gr. Speer FP---------- H335------------ 1,850fps
------------------------- IMR4198--------- 1,888fps
405Reminton FP----------- H4985----------- 1,861fps
------------------------- H322------------ 1,949fps
405gr. Cast Performance-- H4895----------- 1,756fps
415gr. RCBS FN GC-------- H4895----------- 1,952fps
------------------------- H4198----------- 1,934fps
------------------------- Varget---------- 1,842fps
------------------------- H322------------ 1,898fps
------------------------- Re#7------------ 1,735fps
420gr. Cast performanceFN H322------------ 1,866fps

Now, take note these were all loaded to function in the short Marlin's action for an overall length of 2.543" or shorter. Winchester large rifle primers were used in all loads & testing/pressure data taken at 60F. Note also a lot of use of Hodgdon's 'Extreme" powders, which produce virtually identical speeds and pressures, no matter the temperature.

I don't know the chamber length of the Baikal, but if it allows seating the bullets out, this increases the overal length with corresponding increases in case capacity as well. This will allow another grain or so of powder, for a small gain in speed. Note also, that seating the bullets out just a bit, produces almost identical speeds as given by the presented loads there is very little if any drop in speed - such is the 'case' with very large expansion ratio ctgs. There is no real gain to get another 50fps - in any ctg. including this one, other than perhaps for regulation purposes.

--------------------
Daryl

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 163 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 37255

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com