Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Canned lions---3000 of the suckers

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in Africa & hunting dangerous game

Pages: 1
gryphon
.450 member

Reged: 01/01/03
Loc: Sambar ground/Victoria/Austral...
Canned lions---3000 of the suckers
      #141711 - 08/09/09 04:29 AM

Africa : South Africa: South Africa Weighs Fate of 3,000 Captive Lions After Hunt Ban
on 2009/9/7 6:10:19
By Mike Cohen

South Africa’s government said it is assessing what should be done with at least 3,000 captive lions after a June court ruling that effectively ended the so-called canned hunting industry.

On June 12, the High Court in Bloemfontein upheld legislation that requires the big cats to roam free on ranches for two years before being hunted. Until the ruling, ranch owners had either bred or acquired lions reared in captivity before having them hunted for a fee on their property.

The South African Predator Breeders Association has warned that the judgment may shut an industry that employs 5,000 people because farmers can’t afford to keep lions on their estates for long periods of time due to the cost of the antelopes they would eat. It also argued that the lions may need to be euthanized as the legislation reduced their commercial value.

Canned hunting is “a reprehensible practice and the judgment will ensure that this practice will indeed come to an end,” the Department of Environmental Affairs said in a written response to questions in Parliament in Cape Town today. A study on the captive breeding of lions “is expected soon. The department cannot speculate on the fate of the lions.”

The study found about 2,196 lions living in captivity in the North West province, the center of the hunting industry, and another 800 in the central Free State province. Data from the country’s other seven provinces is still being collated.

Six Tons of Meat

Most lion hunting is done by foreign tourists, who on average pay about $22,000 to shoot one of the cats. A further $18,000 is generated in the form of safari costs and the price of having a lion stuffed for shipment back to the hunter’s home, according to court documents.

Lions bred for hunting are often shot after just a few days in the wild. In captivity they are mostly fed on donkey meat bought from rural communities. After their release from breeding cages they catch and eat game that the farmers have acquired for their estates. An adult male lion can eat about six metric tons of meat during a two-year period.

An appeal against the ruling made by the Predators Association will be heard on Sept. 14.

“Its a total disaster for us,” Carel van Heerden, the head of the predators association, said in an interview from Vryburg in northern South Africa. “It’s a whole industry that will be closed down. The court is our only alternative. We don’t have anybody that is prepared to listen to us.”

More than 300 lions are hunted in South Africa every year, with trophy hunters coming from countries including the U.S., Russia and Spain. That makes South Africa the second-biggest destination for lion hunting after Tanzania, where wild lions are shot. About 1,000 lions are hunted each year in Africa.

The ruling came more than a decade after a British Broadcasting Corp. documentary showed a lioness being shot in a small enclosure in South Africa in front of her cubs, leading to international criticism.

To contact the reporter on this story: Mike Cohen in Cape Town at mcohen21@bloomberg.net.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601116&sid=apaWDVVdIoMk

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Canned lions---3000 of the suckers [Re: gryphon]
      #141726 - 08/09/09 08:38 AM

Gryph, you like these canned lion reports!

Your idiots thread has me wondering;

Have you read of any reports that indicate how many {if any} hunters are actually mauled when hunting canned lions? Now you have me curious.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

gryphon
.450 member

Re: Canned lions---3000 of the suckers [Re: 9.3x57]
      #141731 - 08/09/09 09:32 AM

mauled in the can?

I doubt it though the famous one of the lion charge that got around some years ago looked a bit like it could have ended up badly..not so much from a mauling but a big bore bullet from the lunatics shooting all over the place in trying to hit the beast haha.

--------------------
Get off the chair away from the desk and get out in the bush and enjoy life.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #141733 - 08/09/09 09:35 AM

Quote:

mauled in the can?

I doubt it though the famous one of the lion charge that got around some years ago looked a bit like it could have ended up badly..not so much from a mauling but a big bore bullet from the lunatics shooting all over the place in trying to hit the beast haha.

Ha is right.

I wonder how many guys tear their Bwana Shorts squeezing thru the fence wire and then tell the Debs at home the cat nearly raked their balls off in the charge they stopped with The Last Round...

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

cooch
.300 member

Reged: 21/09/03
Loc: Southern NSW
Re: Canned lions---3000 of the suckers [Re: 9.3x57]
      #141776 - 09/09/09 07:54 AM

<sigh>

Gryph.... You're fixated on the issue.

As for that vid. All you saw was a tracker clearing the field of fire so that the PH had a better opportunity to take a shot.

Now go back to hunting your canned sambar. Australia is an island, so the poor bastards can't get away from you. That makes them "canned" doesn't it?

--------------------
"The only logical response to an animal that lives obsessed with avoiding capture is to chase it." - Jose Ortega y Gassett

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Canned lions---3000 of the suckers [Re: cooch]
      #141777 - 09/09/09 08:16 AM

Quote:

<sigh>

As for that vid. All you saw was a tracker clearing the field of fire so that the PH had a better opportunity to take a shot.

Now go back to hunting your canned sambar. Australia is an island, so the poor bastards can't get away from you. That makes them "canned" doesn't it?

Ouch, that will get up John

Canned Sambar - Sambar in a pen can become quite tame
so it wouldn't be much of a hunt !!!

gryphon
.450 member

#141778 - 09/09/09 09:52 AM

Quote:

<sigh>

Keep your own council sport and as this is a civilised forum try and keep your flame fanning/ridiculous island statement for elsewhere.

SIGH

NitroXAdministrator
.700 member

Reged: 25/12/02
Loc: Barossa Valley, South Australi...
      #141781 - 09/09/09 01:11 PM

Quote:

... because farmers can’t afford to keep lions on their estates for long periods of time due to the cost of the antelopes they would eat. It also argued that the lions may need to be euthanized as the legislation reduced their commercial value.

Lions bred for hunting are often shot after just a few days in the wild. In captivity they are mostly fed on donkey meat bought from rural communities. After their release from breeding cages they catch and eat game that the farmers have acquired for their estates. An adult male lion can eat about six metric tons of meat during a two-year period.

Why don't the captive breeders just release a lot of donkeys into the larger lion hunting areas. No doubt the lions will kill a lot of donkeys rather than antelope. Perhaps even start releasing lions at an earlier age so when they are ready to be hunted they have already been "out" for a minimum of two years.

The real question is can these lions actually hunt for themselves anyway? If they have been raised on freshly killed meat and not had to kill beasts and learn stalking and hunting themselves, could most actually survive for two years without feeding? Also lions kill as a pride, so would a pride structure be required? Would a LOT of males in an area be possible anyway - ie would they fight and kill each other much more than in natural environments and densities?

--------------------
John aka NitroX

Govt get out of our lives NOW!
"I love the smell of cordite in the morning."
"A Sharp spear needs no polish"

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #141791 - 09/09/09 08:27 PM

Quote:

Australia is an island, so the poor bastards can't get away from you. That makes them "canned" doesn't it?

The earth is a planet... Where did I park the space ship?!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2387

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com