Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: best weight for 470NE

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
outlawsix
.224 member

Reged: 22/01/03
Loc: Houma, La.
best weight for 470NE
      #1145 - 22/01/03 07:30 AM

Will be building a single shot 470 NE. My question is what weight should I shoot for to make the recoil tolerable. Was thinking around 12lbs with a 26" barrel but am open to suggestions. Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: best weight for 470NE [Re: outlawsix]
      #1146 - 22/01/03 07:41 AM

outlawsix,

12lbs should be tolerable in a 470NE, expecially in a gun that fits you well and balances for you.

I had a Ruger No 1 in 500 NE that was 10lbs and no recoil reducers and it was very underweight for that calibre and
kicked hard. The new owner has put 2 recoil reducers in it and it is now shootable. It also changed the balance which helped.

500 Nitro.

Westley_Richards
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: Boulder, Colorado
      #1147 - 22/01/03 10:07 AM

My .470N is 11 lbs.and is comfortable to shoot, but it also has one recoil reducer in the stock. The art for me is to have the gun fit me. If the art of pass shooting w/ a shot gun is to focus on the bird and not on the sights or barrel of the gun and if the gun fits I will hit the target, can I do the same thing with a double rifle? There are people who teach shot gun shooting by starting w/ a BB gun with no sights. They claim to hit aspirin size targets in a short time. I am fascinated by instinctive or reactive shooting where the gun is pointed, but I am to look only at the target. Supposedly gun fit and consistent gun shouldering pay off. I wish I knew. Anyone else?
WR

--------------------
It's in the salt.

Marrakai
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Darwin, Top End of Australia
Re: best weight for 470NE [Re: Westley_Richards]
      #1175 - 22/01/03 11:21 PM

OutlawSix:
My suggestion is to surf the web-sites selling British double-guns in .465/.470/.475 and make a list of the weights. I suspect you will find everything from Holland's "New Lightweight Style" at 9 1/2 pounds, up to about 12 1/2 or 13 pounds. You could calculate the 'mean', or better still the 'mode', and see if it would suit your single-shot.

Other than that, I would agree with Westley_Richards' previous post and go with 11 pounds. I sometimes carry an 11 pound .577 double all day, and don't find it too much of a hardship.

If I was to offer anything further, it would be to take great care to concentrate as much weight as possible between the hands, which means no mercury in the butt, and make very sure the stock fits you. Good handling and stock fit will do 10 times more for FELT recoil reduction than any gadget in the butt (IMHO).

Best of luck with the project!

--------------------
Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullshit stops!
--------------------------------
www.marrakai-adventure.com.au

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #1417 - 02/02/03 08:32 AM

I agree with 11 lbs loaded, or a little more if you use one of those but style cartritge holders with five or six rounds in it! The one thing I would suggest is a good recoil pad, the Ruger pad is a joke for anything bigger than a 45-70!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2523

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com