Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: SAKO 75

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
SAKO 75
      #141627 - 06/09/09 06:09 AM

Recently I acquired a used Sako rifle chambered in 270 Winchester, that is very similar in appearance to my Sako 75 Hunter. I described the rifle on the Sako collectors forum and was told it is also a 75 Hunter, but I still have my doubts.

The 270 rifle is marked "IV" and the serial number on the action (like my 30-06 75 Hunter), and "Imported by Stoeger" on the underside of the barrel. Sako was owned by Beretta when my 30-06 was built; I understand Sako owned Stoeger at the time my 270 was made. The 270 has a hinged floor plate, the 30-06 has a detachable box magazine. The bolts are similar in appearance, but will not interchange. The 30-06 bolt has a key-lock device, the 270 does not. The wood on the 30-06 is plain, flat in color, and has a matt finish. The wood on the 270 is rich, colorful, and beautiful, and has a glossy finish that appears to be varnish. Neither rifle has a fore end tip, nor is there any engraving on either rifle.

The two rifles are overall very similar in appearance, and it is certainly possible that they are both variants of the 75 Hunter. There are enough differences to make them different models, but enough similarities that they could be variations on the same model. Does anybody here know?

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Loc: Finland
Re: SAKO 75 [Re: Tatume]
      #141708 - 08/09/09 03:05 AM

I think your .270 SAKO is L691 which was made before m75.

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Edited by Igorrock (08/09/09 03:06 AM)

Tatume
.400 member

Re: SAKO 75 [Re: Igorrock]
      #141709 - 08/09/09 03:20 AM

Igorrock, does the L691 bolt have two lugs or three? Both of my guns have three lugs. Thanks, Tom

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Schauckis
.300 member

Reged: 17/07/07
      #141715 - 08/09/09 05:17 AM

I'd say "IV" refers to the length of the action. Sako uses different lengths of action for different calibers. Today they run from XS upwards, but the previous model was labeled by numbers.

On the Sakos I've seen - and they're plenty - the model name is also enscribed on the barrel.

As to the "imported by Stoeger" I have no comment.
Some photos would help for sure.

You'll find detailed info on the 75 here.
It mentions a detachable magazine, so I wonder if the magazine box is a U.S. market feature? On older models there used to be also magazine boxes.

- Lars/Finland

--------------------
A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Tatume
.400 member

Re: SAKO 75 [Re: Schauckis]
      #141720 - 08/09/09 06:20 AM

Thanks Schauckis. My 30-06 rifle is a 75 Hunter, but I'm still unsure about the 270 rifle. It almost conforms to the Deluxe description, except for the contrasting fore end tip (mine doesn't have the tip). Other than that it looks like I have a Model 75 Deluxe.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #141729 - 08/09/09 09:17 AM

OK:

Somebody help me out here.

Schauckis???

WHY does SAKO change its action frequently? Mere marketing, that is, to sell different guns to the same people? Or what?

I really like the old two-lug guns, but now Tom has me really curious about the newer models, but nevertheless, it seems curious that SAKO has produced different models when they had a superb action years ago, and other gunmakers; Winchester, Remington, Ruger, Savage, etc, have kept their actions for so long.

And the 75 is quite different than the 85, correct?

Anyway, I'm curious...

One last question; is the 3-lugger SAKO's final word? Or can you see them going back to a "classic" {or some such...} two-lug bolt?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Igorrock
.400 member

Reged: 01/03/07
Re: SAKO 75 [Re: 9.3x57]
      #141764 - 09/09/09 02:47 AM

Here is picture of SAKO L691

http://images.worthpoint.com/files/cowans/images/tee0910.jpg

--------------------
http://promaakari.wordpress.com/

Schauckis
.300 member

Reged: 17/07/07
      #141769 - 09/09/09 03:55 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to say "frequently", but it's fairly obvious they've become a LOT more international since the acquisition by Beretta, and they adhere to the demands by the market.
Point in case: their .416 Rem Mag. My friend has one, and I was talking with one person in the know not long ago. Both agree that the recoil of the rifle is absolutely horrendous. This mentioned person in the know asked Sako's product development director why they made the rifle so light that it's virtually impossible to shoot. They had conducted a market survey, you see, and the result was the buyers want a light rifle. So be it.
Sako's recent model changes have certainly all been in the direction of appealing to a larger market rather than just the conservative domestic market as it used to be.
Part of the reason for keeping the same action for a long time was also cost of development and lack of money. Sako has always been a small manufacturer owned by a plethora of other Finnish industries over the years, and none probably were very keen to invest heavily but settled for the domestic market. Since the demise of their model 92 assault rifle (i.e. when the Finnish army stopped buying domestic guns) they've focused on the sport guns and initially rather heavily on the domestic/Nordic market. Beretta changed all that.

Whether we'll see the two-lug guns I frankly doubt - but if the market demands it, then they'll make it!
The current 85 is a further development of the 75 and for sure the press agrees that the new action is an improvement over the previous which was not bad. The virtues of it are fairly obvious: low opening angle and smooth operation as is a Sako trademark. Yet it's modern = cheap to manufacture.
To my understanding the biggest difference between the 75 and 85 actions is that the 85 is genuinely controlled feed whereas the 75 was not although so marketed.

BTW, forgot to point out one more thing about Tom's rifle:
The one with the lock is one of the short-lived "Key Concept" models. Sako did introduce it with some fanfare, but many have voted it to be the most unnecessary invention of the shooting world so they buried it quietly.
I'm not entirely sure if the Key Concept was only ever available on the 75 or on previous models also, but I think it was a feature of the 75 alone.

- Lars/Finland

--------------------
A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: SAKO 75 [Re: Schauckis]
      #141779 - 09/09/09 12:53 PM

Thanks, Lars!

Very interesting.

During the '80's I corresponded with company President Henry Paasikivi and I've always enjoyed reading about the rich history of the Finnish gun industry. Thanks for adding to that.

Tom has a good gun, to be sure!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #141792 - 09/09/09 08:37 PM

I'm not an expert on Sako but from what I recall from my visits to gunshops over the years is that the L691 in 4 action lengths was a 2 lug action. About 15 years ago a 3-lug sporter version of the TRG-21 sniper rifle was introduced called the TRG-S which was replaced by the three lug 75 about 10 years ago, at the same time as the 2-lug actions were dropped... Now the 75 has been refined and the 85 is available.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: SAKO 75 [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #141798 - 09/09/09 11:21 PM

What plastic parts {if any} are attached to the current barrelled-action?

--------------------

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
      #141832 - 10/09/09 07:04 PM

I don't think there were any on the 75 - but I never owned one. Someone who has one will have to chime in... I haven't looked at an 85 yet as all my nearby gunshops are pushing Blasers

Tatume
.400 member

Re: SAKO 75 [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #141834 - 10/09/09 09:23 PM

There are no plastic parts on either of the Sako model 75 rifles I own.

The Sako 85 has a cost-cutting bedding system that worries me, though I've heard no reports of problems with it. Instead of inletting for the recoil lug, they attach a steel plate in the stock and the recoil lug sits in a hole in the plate. The attachment appears to be accomplished with a couple of small wood screws, which is the source of my concern. I would like to examine one, as I expect Sako has a well-thought-out system, but it just doesn't show in the photos.

Beretta has a distribution system that not only precludes an examination, but I can't even buy one to examine. They will not allow a dealer to order a rifle unless he purchases a package of arms of their chosing, each year. The guns in the package are the models least likely to sell, and the buy-in cost is tens of thousands of dollars. I live in the country, in a community that can barely support one gun dealer. He cannot afford the Beretta buy-in. I don't want to be without a local gun dealer, so I will not drive to the big city to buy guns.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #148512 - 21/12/09 06:12 PM

I own a few Sako's of various styles and I like them. The 85's were built to be light and to be a controlled round feed. The bedding is suspect, but it is the only rifle I have ever seen pick up and feed (with ease) empty cases into a chamber from the magazine. My 85 is in .375 H&H. It shoots well and my only complaint is with the factory recoil pad. I replaced with a decelerator before I fired the gun. Sako mounts are pricey as well.

CHAPUISARMES
.416 member

Reged: 16/01/08
Loc: DUBBO, NSW, AUSTRALIA
Re: SAKO 75 [Re: albertan]
      #148513 - 21/12/09 06:45 PM

Hi Tatume,

I do not know if this may help or not but lists all of the old models.

http://www.sako.fi/old.php

Cheers,

Jeff Gray

--------------------

"Travel Light, Travel Fast and carry a Big Bore"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8168

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com