Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: SAKO 85

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
SAKO 85
      #141087 - 25/08/09 03:58 AM

Hello Folks,

Being delighted with my Sako 75 Hunter in 30-06, I've been thinking of maybe getting another in 270 Win or 25-06. The bedding system in the Sako 85 worries me though. Have any of you tried the wood-stocked Sako 85? If so, how is the recoil lug bedding working? Have there been any problems? Thanks.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
albertan
.333 member

Reged: 13/06/06
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: SAKO 85 [Re: Tatume]
      #141608 - 05/09/09 05:42 PM

I own an 85 in .375 H&H. I too share your concern about its futuristic bedding. Feeds, extracts, and shoots fine. The scope mounting for these Sako's is a major inconvenience and expense. No problems to date, but only sixty or so rounds expended.

I have Sako QD mounts. I am certain that low QD mounts will accomodate a 50 mm objective. So far I am shooting 300 grain Hornady DGS, DGX, and roundnose Interlocks. The two expanding bullets touch at 100 yards, two inches high. The solid hits dead on bullseye at the same 100 yard target. Remington brass and magnum primers used with all loads. IMR 4064 used with the expanding bullets, Reloder 15 used with the solid. I use seperate seaters for each bullet a a Lee factory crimp die to put a crimp on all loads.

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: SAKO 85 [Re: albertan]
      #141626 - 06/09/09 05:50 AM

Although I have Sako and Warne ring-base sets for my two Sako 75 rifles, I use neither. Leupold makes much nicer mounts. They are trim and elegant in appearance, much more so than the Sako mounts. The Sako mounts are much (MUCH) too high. Both the Sako and Warne mounts have a positive stop to prevent the mounts from moving forward in recoil. On the Sako mounts the stop is on the rear base, and is unobtrusive. The Warne has a stop in the front mount, and overhands the bolt opening (it looks awful). The Leupold mounts do not have such a provision, and in my experience it is not needed. I torque the attachment screw to 40 inch-pounds. Mine have never migrated.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2606

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com