Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: trophy bonded bullets discontinued ?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Rifles

Pages: 1
Naren
.224 member

Reged: 05/04/08
Loc: Somewhere
trophy bonded bullets discontinued ?
      #135215 - 12/05/09 10:50 PM

Do any of you gentelmen know about the speer trophy bonded line of bullets being discontinued? I wanted to buy some of them at Midway and that site says those bullets have been "Discontinued by Manufacturer", I checked at the speer website and they no longer have them listed... Both the Bear Claw softs and Sledgehammer solids... Damn these were good bullets.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: trophy bonded bullets discontinued ? [Re: Naren]
      #135217 - 12/05/09 10:58 PM

The first of the "Premium" bullets to bite the dust in the face of hard economic times...?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Yochanan
.375 member

Reged: 26/01/03
Loc: Volksdiktatur Schweden
Re: trophy bonded bullets discontinued ? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #135234 - 13/05/09 04:16 AM

If the bullets made by Speer was of same quality as those made by Jack Carter it's a tragedy. I still have some bullets made by Jack. Somehow, I think the beancounters and others have failed to market the product right, hence the removal from companies product line. When I have been in contact to some of the sales, marketing and company representative many of them gives the impression these are products to be just like any other stuff to sell, no matter it its bolts, nuts, garden supplies, cars, loans or insurances, consumer electronics - the MBA blues. For those who didn’t grew up with hunting, shooting, reloading or lacks the passion it's a though climb and learning curve is very steep - there is no book or quick course to take.
Anyone knows is Bill Steigers firm, Bitter root bullets is still in operation?

/Johan

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: trophy bonded bullets discontinued ? [Re: Yochanan]
      #135236 - 13/05/09 04:35 AM

Quote:

If the bullets made by Speer was of same quality as those made by Jack Carter it's a tragedy. I still have some bullets made by Jack.

/Johan

From what I know and read--some info by Boddington and Wieland, they were not the same bullets..from what I read, the earlier models were better...have used them very little other than when they first come out..they worked really well..

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

DuggaBoy
.300 member

Reged: 03/03/09
Loc: Tx
Re: trophy bonded bullets discontinued ? [Re: Ripp]
      #135329 - 14/05/09 03:49 AM

Quote:

......from what I read, the earlier models were better...have used them very little other than when they first come out..they worked really well..
Ripp

That is my opinion also, to me there was a down trend in quality,unfortunately.

--------------------
DuggaBoy
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DSC

JTOMLINSON
.300 member

Reged: 16/02/05
Loc: York, England
      #135333 - 14/05/09 04:35 AM

Johan

Last time I heard from Bill Steigers was fully 2 years ago and he had long given up with making Bitteroot Bullets due to advanced years and health problems, it was a huge pity as they were probably the first bonded bullet and one of the finest. Bill was in at the start of bullet technology and had a huge amount of knowledge but in this modern era no one wanted to buy into that know how and take on the name and product.

Jonathan

DuggaBoy
.300 member

Reged: 03/03/09
Loc: Tx
Re: trophy bonded bullets discontinued ? [Re: JTOMLINSON]
      #135336 - 14/05/09 05:52 AM

Quote:

Johan Last time I heard from Bill Steigers was fully 2 years ago and he had long given up with making Bitteroot Bullets due to advanced years and health problems, it was a huge pity as they were probably the first bonded bullet and one of the finest. Bill was in at the start of bullet technology and had a huge amount of knowledge but in this modern era no one wanted to buy into that know how and take on the name and product. Jonathan

Yes it is a pity, the last Bitteroots I got were about 4 years ago ,then last year wanted some only to find out he had stopped.

--------------------
DuggaBoy
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DSC

sandy
.224 member

Reged: 03/01/09
Loc: Scarborough,ontario
Re: trophy bonded bullets discontinued ? [Re: Naren]
      #136342 - 29/05/09 05:58 AM

I talked to a contact at Speer a few monthes ago regarding the availability of Trophy Bonded Bullets and was given the answer that a lot of the lines were being converted to the tipped version and that bullets in component form would not be available until late 09 or early 2010.
Plus I wonder if their whole production is going into Federal loaded ammo because they are all part of the same company.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: trophy bonded bullets discontinued ? [Re: sandy]
      #136357 - 29/05/09 01:30 PM

The recent TBBC's Itested in the .375 test did well indeed. Alas, a friend with a contact at Speer confirms they are finished.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
Re: trophy bonded bullets discontinued ? [Re: JTOMLINSON]
      #139730 - 29/07/09 10:49 AM

Quote:

Johan

Last time I heard from Bill Steigers was fully 2 years ago and he had long given up with making Bitteroot Bullets due to advanced years and health problems, it was a huge pity as they were probably the first bonded bullet and one of the finest. Bill was in at the start of bullet technology and had a huge amount of knowledge but in this modern era no one wanted to buy into that know how and take on the name and product.

Jonathan

I can remember when Bill Steiger and i, were the only two making bonded core bullets forsale. I quit selling them long time ago, and i often wondered if Bill was still at it...

Thanks for the info,

DM

Yochanan
.375 member

Re: trophy bonded bullets discontinued ? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #139750 - 29/07/09 05:07 PM

Quote:

The recent TBBC's tested in the .375 test did well indeed. Alas, a friend with a contact at Speer confirms they are finished.

Sad. Finished as components and in factory loaded ammo? The Sledgehammers has been shafted also?

/Johan

--------------------
© "I have never been able to appreciate 'shock' as applied to killing big game. It seems to me that you cannot kill an elephant weighing six tons by ´shock´unless you advocate the use of a field gun." - W.D.M. Bell: Wanderings of an Elephant Hunter.

333Jeffery
.300 member

Reged: 21/04/06
Loc: Florida
      #139816 - 31/07/09 10:03 AM

Speer also stopped making the "African Grand Slam" bullets, which is a shame as they had cores of tungsten carbide. Just too expensive for most folks.

Yochanan
.375 member

Re: trophy bonded bullets discontinued ? [Re: 333Jeffery]
      #140412 - 11/08/09 08:01 PM

Gentlemen,
Anyone who has tested the tipped Trophy Bonded version?

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
Re: trophy bonded bullets discontinued ? [Re: 333Jeffery]
      #141391 - 31/08/09 03:23 PM

333Jeffery,

I can't for the life of me recall where, but I did read recently that a new outfit was going to make tungsten core bullets and offer them on sale. If you wait a little, you may no longer have to regret Speer's dropping the AGS line.

Good hunting!

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6166

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com