Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Black Bear

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
longrifle
.224 member

Reged: 13/01/09
Loc: New Mexico
Black Bear
      #128350 - 28/02/09 01:11 PM

Was reading Boddington on hunting black bear. Seems that he gave a laundry list of calibers suitable for black bear. I realize caliber selection changes somewhat based upon hunting method. What have others on this forum used for hunts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Black Bear [Re: longrifle]
      #128353 - 28/02/09 02:33 PM

Our bear are small.

I've killed black bear with .30-30, .303 British, 7.62x53R, .348 Winchester, .44 Magnum, .45-70 and 9.3x57.

All worked well except for the .44 Magnum except I can't really blame the cartridge per se.

My favorite is the 9.3x57. Great cartridge and the gun I use weighs 6 lbs which makes it easy to lug to the tree.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: Black Bear [Re: 9.3x57]
      #128355 - 28/02/09 02:52 PM

Black bear;
I am with you on the 9.3x57. since we don't really have huntable bears in Texas, I haven't had the opportunity to use the 9.3x57.
Alaska in the early '70s. One with the .44 mag and the other with, don't laugh, .243 Win. I wasn't really hunting spring bear that day. I was looking for food targets of opportunity. Porcuipine, hares ( hard to see in the spring with no snow, or just being prepared for the chance wolf, wolverine or the menecing pack of wild dog. I had a 6 power fixed scope on the Remington 600. The bear jumped out of a hole in the side of a path. Someone had buried moose guts the winter before. I brought the rifle up and all I saw was black hair. I could not see where on the bear I was aiming. I didn't shoot until he ran down a draw and started up the other side. One shot between the shoulders. He was about 200 lbs. Pretty typical of the area.
I would use the 9.3x57 or .45-70. I would love to see also what my 16ga x 12.7 MM SXS would do!! What fun.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Black Bear [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #128372 - 28/02/09 06:07 PM

Any of those guns are quite descent- it's where you hit them. Black bears are not difficult to kill & they die easily with a proper hit with the first bullet. they aren't grizzlies or cape buffalo and young ones, little 2x2's we call then - 2years at 90 pounds to 2 1/2 year olds that run only up to about 175 pounds die very easily and are likely to lay down with a leg shot and just moan. Good thing too, or more guided bears would be lost, I suppose. Lots of time the guide can't see if it was a good hit, or even if the bear was hit, so doesn't have an opportunity to back up a shot. Whatever you bring, make it adequate, but that you can shoot it without closing your eyes & yanking the trigger.

I've seen people have difficulty killing bears with .30/06 a number of .300 mags - Oh - even a .338 - guys, it's where you hit them that counts. FPE is meaningless at the best of times and absolutely useless if you miss or worse, wound. Punch both lungs with a .243 or even a .22 hornet with a descent bullet and it's a bear rub in very short order. Give him time to lay donw and stiffen up. He'll stop if not chased and lay down, put the wound to the cool ground. Mess it up, and well, it s a job for the dogs to find and a mess when you find him.

All of these hunters knew they'd him in the lungs: so we go back to camp if it's close and wait - minimum 3 hour wait, then the couple hours of tracking with dogs over hill dale creek and and more hills or dales, then cornering the bear was finally killing him and then, some even claim the double shoulder and lung shot is their's when the skinned bear on the table. See- THAT's where I hit him - don't know why he ran so far, though. They don't. Those low, bruising brisket clipping shots and/or paw or leg shots must have been the guide when he caught up to it, I hit him in the lungs! Oh misery is us - sometimes. Other times, it's pow - done deal - good shot!- Way to go - nice bear - I'll buy you a beer for that one and the celebration begins!

I've a couple friends who were overjoyed I picked up another Hornet. Oh boy, they said - we're going bear hunting. One fellow uses one of those little 9mm pistol ctg. shooting semiauto rifles and the other, a .25/20 M92. No - none of them are bear ctg.'s nor would I use one for them - however - I/we could & they do - I just don't hunt with them. Too much can go wrong and for me, it usually does. It's a fact you can use what I consider an inadequate round, when you can go for a drive in the spring and see 50 bears in an afternoon, you can pick your shot and make it right - right broadside and right through an eyeball into the brain. Even rest on a bipod on the hood of the truck - no, that's not hunting, it's filling the freezer. Something a lot of people do up here. Most use a .30/30 M94, .303 Mark 3 or an '06 P-17 Enfield, none of which has ever been cleaned.

You have to put a descent bullet (not a high order for bears)in the right spot is all. A rifle that is of adequate accuracy and adequate power is the proper bear rifle for you, whether it's a .243, .308 or .300 mag. Another friend of mine uses nothing but his .22/250 with downloaded 70gr. Speers - or 55gr. Sierra Spitzers - he's had good luck with both. He stockpiled thousands of the Speers when he found a 3,200fps load would print into 3/8" to 5/8" at 100 meters. He uses the odd one on wolves, but mostly, one in the spring for a lean 3 year old, about 175 pounds and one in the fall for a 2 1/2 year old, fat at about 175 pounds. Why does he shoot a .22/250? It's more accurate than his .35 Rem Marlin and kicks less than his moose rifles, a .444 Marlin and a .35 Whelen Rem.- besides, he might see a wolf while hunting for his spring or fall freezer bears.

Those three rounds rate high in my books, .35 Rem, .444 with 265gr. or heavier bullets and the .35 Whelen. Of course those ballistics cover a lot of different rounds. I don't hunt bears with .22's or even 6 or 7mm's. I like the 9.3x57, 8x57, .30SS(my own wildcat) .308, .30/06, .375Winchester, .375/06IMP, 9.5x68, .44 mag. Rem M788, .44 mag Marlin, .444 Marlin, .45/70 Rolling Block, .458 2", .458 Alaskan & .69 English Sporting Rifle - killed bears with them all, except the 9.3x57 - but I know the 9.3 will work - there is no question. It doesn't take much, just an adequate bullet in the right place. Oops forgot - .45 Auto, 260 Speer at 960fps out back behind the jail on night working prowl duty while working - now THAT was a lot of years ago. I wouldn't suggest the .45 Auto - but it worked, one in the side of his melon as he came around the corner of the building, looking for me - range 10, maybe 12 feet - done deal- adequate bullet in the right place - works every time. Nice bug garbage bear, too, not a 2x2. I was called in to shoot bears that fall as they were chasing the other prowl officers around the yard at night - shot 7 - sometimes one gets to test a number of different rounds on bears when you're the firearms instructor. The yard lights didn't make it fair for the bears, but then, it wasn't a game - for the bears.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Black Bear [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #128390 - 01/03/09 01:15 AM

Quote:

Black bear;
I am with you on the 9.3x57. since we don't really have huntable bears in Texas, I haven't had the opportunity to use the 9.3x57.
Alaska in the early '70s. One with the .44 mag and the other with, don't laugh, .243 Win. I wasn't really hunting spring bear that day. I was looking for food targets of opportunity.

+++++++++++++++

I too, have used a .243 to kill a 22 year old black bear...and like you, was not really out hunting bears...was driving down to a creek to remove a dead cow from along the creek...took my rifle along in case a coyote was hanging around...upon arrival at the scence--a brown phase black bear started up the hill from the dead cow..had only 70 gr Nosler ballistic tips..shot 3 times..you could actually see the bullets hitting the bear with the dust flying off the hide...on the 3rd shot I hit directly on the upper spine behind the neck..the bear died instantly..

Agree with the others,,black bear die relatively easy in my opinion...have used 300 Win mag, 280, 270 and 243 along with a bow...they typically don't go too far once hit--have small lungs compared to their body size...hit there its over...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Edited by Ripp (01/03/09 09:44 AM)

longrifle
.224 member

Reged: 13/01/09
Loc: New Mexico
Re: Black Bear [Re: Ripp]
      #128394 - 01/03/09 02:27 AM

I had drawn for Colorado Bear about 11 years ago. I have a cousin who lives and hunts alot in Leadville and was going to go with him, but then life got in the way and it didn't pan out. I hadn't thought much about bear since, but the desire to go has been slowly creeping up on me over the last year. The plan is to start preparing for next year with Bears in Maine as a possible hunt.

And of course, anything worth doing is worth doing well which includes appropriate caliber selection.

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by longrifle (01/03/09 02:30 AM)

9.3x57
.450 member

#128396 - 01/03/09 03:07 AM

Shot placement seems for many around here to be tougher on bear than any other animal. I believe personally that is because bear are frequently shot in dim light conditions, treed and offering a strange presentation to the hunter or shot fast on the ground where the animal is moving fast and/or fighting dogs. That plus the folds and shadows of a black coat make for confusing angles of shot and many first-time or inexperienced hunters simply do not know where to put the bullet. Lots of guys blow it.

Really study the animal's anatomy and be very careful to shoot for the vitals INSIDE, not a spot on the outside of the animal. Use a good-sized bullet that also opens up.

The hound hunter's favorite around here is the Marlin .444 with fast 240 grain loads. On our bear it is a great killer, and those 240 jacketed slugs have a tendency to stay inside the animal and not find contact with an expensive dog on the far side.

Here's my light 9.3 from last September's bear:

And both my buddy's .444's, hard-used, honest killers:

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DarylS
.700 member

#128403 - 01/03/09 05:55 AM

Around here, we don't hunt with dogs, just use them to track wounded game in case something went wrong for the client. These dogs are of German or Austrian descent, can't remember the name - odd name at that and of course Boberman colouring but more houndish in appearance and they do not tree a bear, just locate it and direct the hunter to it. Growling means it's still alive - silent and the animal's dead. Will not track an animal if it isn't hard hit - amazing dogs.
I like exits and that's why the 265's in the .44 mag and .444 as minimum. Had good luck with 300gr. Hornady XTR - seem to be a fairly tough bullet on broadside shots. 350 Barnes X (or TSX now) is a great bullet at over 2,200fps for most game animals.

--------------------
Daryl

Alberta
.275 member

Reged: 03/12/07
Loc: Canada
Re: Black Bear [Re: DarylS]
      #128417 - 01/03/09 09:13 AM

I have used a 270, 45-70, 338 and 9.3x64brenneke they all worked well.

The biggest "trick" is identifying the vitals. A bear can just look like a black blob making it hard to see where to hit. On any kind of reasonable angle away from me, I look for the far leg use that to estimate where the bottom of the far shoulder is and drive one in there trying to take out near side lungs and far leg/shoulder. If the bear is angled towards I do the opposite punching through the near shoulder/leg and out the far lung.

This shot has always worked well and will drop them very close to, if not, right on the spot.

Edited by Alberta (01/03/09 09:15 AM)

Ripp
.577 member

#128420 - 01/03/09 09:49 AM

Quote:

Shot placement seems for many around here to be tougher on bear than any other animal. I believe personally that is because bear are frequently shot in dim light conditions, treed and offering a strange presentation to the hunter or shot fast on the ground where the animal is moving fast and/or fighting dogs. That plus the folds and shadows of a black coat make for confusing angles of shot and many first-time or inexperienced hunters simply do not know where to put the bullet. Lots of guys blow it.

Agreed--it seems like many shoot too high..at least what I have seen...hit the "hollow" spot and your in for a long day...

Ripp

--------------------

Ripp
.577 member

#128421 - 01/03/09 09:52 AM

Quote:

I hadn't thought much about bear since, but the desire to go has been slowly creeping up on me over the last year. The plan is to start preparing for next year with Bears in Maine as a possible hunt.
Thanks for the feedback!

Longrifle

You need to go--I really enjoy bear hunting..especially spring bear hunting..their fur is really nice early on..and after being inside for most of the last few months--it feels great to trapse through the woods with the snow melting and all the creeks running at full bore...great time of year..

Hope it works out for you...

Ripp

--------------------

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Black Bear [Re: Ripp]
      #128429 - 01/03/09 01:04 PM

Ditto to RIPP's sentiments.

GO.

Bear hunting is a blast.

Best meat in the woods, too.

1} DON'T hang it.
2} DON'T make sausage.

Frequently bear are shot in warm weather. Get it skinned fast and the meat in the freezer pronto. Roasts, chops, steaks.

Delicious!

Had bear curry this week. Tasty!!

--------------------

bigfoot
.224 member

Reged: 30/07/09
Loc: Washington, USA
      #140172 - 07/08/09 03:19 PM

G'day all, newcomer here.

I used my 45/70 in AK a couple of summers ago. I've got much more time behind my 30-06, and would feel very comfortable using it next time.

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
      #140189 - 08/08/09 02:45 AM

I used a 1915-vintage Winchester Model 1895 in .35 WCF to take a bonafide B&C record book black bear a few years ago. We did spot & stalk on horseback (no dogs) so getting a bear that big was a nice surprise. One of the most fun hunts I've been on.

The 35 WCF is essentially a 405 Winchester necked down for 250-grain 0.358 bullets at 2,200 fps. Though I don't know the ballistics of your 9.3x57 above, I suspect they would be very similar.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Black Bear [Re: taw1126]
      #140215 - 08/08/09 11:26 AM

taw:

Your .35 is a classic. The 9.3x57 will toss the 250 a bit fastier, but yes, both are very similar in performance.

What a great hunt. Spring bear season is always a busy one for me work-wise, but your hunt stirred up a conversation with my wife ad she liked the idea. Might just have to start setting up bear camp in the spring, and horse hunting. A week spent in the saddle in spring would be good exercise for our horses at the very least.

Mmm...might have to jockey the work and vacation schedule...

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #140219 - 08/08/09 01:55 PM

Oh yes, Spring Black Bear Season-

Sounds like good times to me, perhaps the healing process on my knee will be closer to completion by then.
Might just have to see you on the trail 9.3

I'll have a hot iron plate and the Balsamic reduction at the ready.
Sweet simmering Black Bear, rare and juicy...

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DarylS
.700 member

Re: Black Bear [Re: tinker]
      #140228 - 09/08/09 01:24 AM

Sounds like a stiff case of trichonosis brewing along with that rare bear meat.

--------------------
Daryl

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Black Bear [Re: DarylS]
      #140247 - 09/08/09 12:10 PM

spring is great turkey and bear,i have hunted BC bears were thich as rabbits the first hunt i was solely after black bear i counted 80 in 5 days,the second trip was a ten day grizzly hunt i counted 50.this was my pre double days and i used a 300 wby with a 180 gr barnes flattened then they went no more than 5 yards.i also hunted sask. in a stand loking at a barrel for a week i got a bear but i will never hunt that way again spot and stalk the only way to go to much pretty country to see.and the claws and caots in spring nice.i will do it again.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

buckeyeshooter
.275 member

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: ohio, USA
Re: Black Bear [Re: bwananelson]
      #141206 - 27/08/09 07:41 AM

I've used a .338wm, 45/70 and 50 alaskan. More gun than necessary, however, I prepare for the big one just to be safe.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3613

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com