Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Merkel bright finish

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Double Rifles

Pages: 1
Hubert
.224 member

Reged: 15/03/05
Loc: Tasmania , Australia
Merkel bright finish
      #140804 - 19/08/09 07:25 PM

Greetings Members,
I have a very nice Merkel 141 in 7x57R but it has an annoying bright finish on the action. The glitter and dazzle looks cheap , frightens off game and is not as good looking as the case hardened finish.It is not the same quality as the dull silver finish on some of my other guns.
Is there a solution to this? Something perhaps which might give it the ancient silver look?
Thaks in anticipation
Miers :

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Merkel bright finish [Re: Hubert]
      #140815 - 20/08/09 01:05 AM

very nice is the key word, to chemically alter the finish would be asking for certain disaster,if you dont like the finish send it back for a refinish or send it to a pro.but any powdre or like the old days where they used kerosene smoke to dull things it will be messy on you and for clean up

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

doubleriflejack
.333 member

Reged: 11/11/07
Loc: Oregon, U.S.A.
      #140827 - 20/08/09 05:15 AM

It may look cheap, but it is not. I am certain that it is case hardened too, but not color case hardened, of course. I have a similar German double rifle, and have the same thoughts as you, regarding its spooking game, so when I infrequently hunt deer with it, I simply take a bit of camo. bow hunting tape, and tape over exposed areas of action. It works well, and protects somewhat from rain/moisture to some degree as well. This tape is easily and quickly put on, and taken off, so it works well for the purpose.

DUGABOY1
.400 member

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: TEXAS USA
      #140954 - 22/08/09 07:31 AM

Quote:

Greetings Members,
I have a very nice Merkel 141 in 7x57R but it has an annoying bright finish on the action. The glitter and dazzle looks cheap , frightens off game and is not as good looking as the case hardened finish.It is not the same quality as the dull silver finish on some of my other guns.
Is there a solution to this? Something perhaps which might give it the ancient silver look?
Thaks in anticipation
Miers :

You certainly do not want to try to alter the finish perminantly yourself. Take it to a good gunsmith. and have the shiney steel very lightly glass beaded to give it a slightly frosted finish, that cuts glare!

--------------------
..........Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY1, and MacD37 founding member of DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com
"If I die today, I have had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"

gwindrider1
.224 member

Reged: 19/06/06
Loc: Colorado mountains
Re: Merkel bright finish [Re: DUGABOY1]
      #146465 - 23/11/09 02:37 PM

You might get in touch with Doug Turnbull at Turnbull Restoration to consider the options for refinishing.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 139 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2946

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com