Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: New - Gibbs Styled Farquharson - Hot Off The Press !

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
Re: New - Gibbs Styled Farquharson - Hot Off The Press ! [Re: Mike_McGuire]
      #141133 - 25/08/09 09:05 PM

Hi guys I have a up date on the web site , it is up now & mostly running at http://sorokarifle.com/index.html

I also have a question from Sirrocco "What rimless cartridge would you choose from the following list to build a Soroka 07 , given the traditional Gibbs Farquharson styling ?

270Win , 280Rem , 280Ack , 7mmRem Mag , 7mm Dakota , 7mm STW , 30/06 , 300H&H , 300Win Mag ,300 Dakota , 300 Weatherby , 300 Ultra , 375 H&H , 404 Jeffery , 416 Rem

I know there is some modern choices here , but I,am trying to approach this with a open mind as to what people may choose given the lack of restriction , ie soft steel , rimmed extractor etc .

Let me know what you think , Thank you ! "

Cheers Guys , Sarg

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: New - Gibbs Styled Farquharson - Hot Off The Press ! [Re: Sarg]
      #141137 - 25/08/09 10:48 PM

.375 H&H, belted or flanged, best, Mike

michaelj
.224 member

Reged: 02/06/09
Loc: Lakewood, Colorado US
Re: New - Gibbs Styled Farquharson - Hot Off The Press ! [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #141251 - 28/08/09 01:02 AM

I suppose if you are throwing in the word traditional and of the cartridges you have listed I would pare it down to 300H&H,375H&H,404 Jeffery as these are the more traditional of the bunch.

Michael J

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

Reged: 11/06/05
Loc: Sydney Australia
Re: New - Gibbs Styled Farquharson - Hot Off The Press ! [Re: michaelj]
      #141404 - 01/09/09 05:57 AM

Quote:

I suppose if you are throwing in the word traditional and of the cartridges you have listed I would pare it down to 300H&H,375H&H,404 Jeffery as these are the more traditional of the bunch.

Michael J

Ditto

270Win...possibly someone will want one

280Rem , 280Ack...No one

7mmRem Mag...possibly, about like 270 Winchester

7mm Dakota....absolutley no one

7mm STW....No one

30/06...always a possible, like 270

300H&H...100% guaranteed.

300Win Mag...very unlikely

300 Dakota....no one

300 Weatherby...very unlikely

300 Ultra....no one

375 H&H....100% guaranteed

404 Jeffery....95% guananteed

416 Rem....very unlikely

sirrocco
.275 member

Reged: 10/12/06
Loc: New Zealand, Italy
      #141405 - 01/09/09 08:20 AM

Well I guess that confirmed my suspicions. I forgot to add the old 7x57 to the list, which of course was always going to be there. So it would seem we will only have to keep a handful of sharp chambering reamers on hand, 7x57, 270, 7mm Rem Mag, 30/06, 300 H&H, 375H&H and 404 Jeffery. That will make things easy....
Are there any other appropriate, relatively common, rimless cartridges that should be on the list?

Thanks

Soroka Rifle Co.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Re: New - Gibbs Styled Farquharson - Hot Off The Press ! [Re: sirrocco]
      #141407 - 01/09/09 09:28 AM

of those you list, I would go .30-06 and .375
I might be tempted to add 7WSM/7SAUM rather than 270/280Ack/7mm Mag for the sheep and elk hunters, and the .340 Weatherby for Europeans going to Africa...
What rimmed cartridges do you propose? Definitely 9,3x74 and .450/.400 I assume?

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #141408 - 01/09/09 09:32 AM

458 Lott? Seems like it would be the other bookend to the 375H&H.

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
Re: New - Gibbs Styled Farquharson - Hot Off The Press ! [Re: SharpsNitro]
      #141413 - 01/09/09 10:20 AM

250 Savage.

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#141415 - 01/09/09 11:45 AM

Quote:

Well I guess that confirmed my suspicions. I forgot to add the old 7x57 to the list, which of course was always going to be there. So it would seem we will only have to keep a handful of sharp chambering reamers on hand, 7x57, 270, 7mm Rem Mag, 30/06, 300 H&H, 375H&H and 404 Jeffery. That will make things easy....
Are there any other appropriate, relatively common, rimless cartridges that should be on the list?

Thanks

Soroka Rifle Co.

You might get an idea from seeing (If you can find out) what sort of calibres are being done in the Martini/Hagn.

Actually, come to think of it I think some of those have been done in things like 240 Wby but your gun has the real English feel.

I am just hoping it will be to expensive otherwise I am in deep shit

Your gun to me is real 300 H&H and 375 H&H.

An expensive gun like yours that has a real character about I reckon 95% of you chamberings will be in only 3 or 4 calibres. To take the opposite end in guns is Weatherby. If you have the cheque book Dean in the custom shop will empty it for you The real expensive wood stuff is virtually all 300 Wby and 460 Wby and a fair does of 257 Wby. The real expensive fibre glass stuff with Krieger cut rifling barrel, Krieger action work and Ed's personal invitation for a days sailing is dominated by the 30-378. Those 3 or Wby calibres would be the counterpart of 300 and 375 H&H in yours.

I would also probably list on the website calibres like 244 H&H, 275 H&H. Since you won't be delivering the rifle 5 minutes after the order it is not like you have to have all the reamers, loading dies and whatever on the shelf.

I believe your listing of calibres (along with other things I can't think of because I don't know enough about this area)are an idicator of what you are about.

As a side note I think your website looks great and conveys the message very well. I don't have it open now but when I looked at it my first thought was that the calibre listing should be changed.

The 270, 7mm Rem and 30/06 are good.

I think I remember reading in your website about the 300 Winchester being all things etc but I would probably have some highlighting of 300 H&H.

To my mind what you have is the most impressive thing I have seen that has come along.

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#141416 - 01/09/09 11:59 AM

Quote:

What about 400 H&H and 465 H&H

kamilaroi
.400 member

Reged: 18/12/04
Loc: sydney, new south wales, Austr...
      #141419 - 01/09/09 12:03 PM

Not forgetting 6.5 x 55

sirrocco
.275 member

Re: New - Gibbs Styled Farquharson - Hot Off The Press ! [Re: kamilaroi]
      #141424 - 01/09/09 01:23 PM

I had a sneaking suspicion that I was not alone in wanting to own a Gibbs styled Farkie when I started this project 2.5 years ago. I just didn't realise that the dream was so big for so many. But then again there isnt really anything else that "goes bang" (as one of the guys put it), that really compares with a Gibbs as far as styling goes. Anyway I am glad there are some that are excited about whats happening over here.

Looks like we might be buying a few more reamers after all. We will build a rifle in any calibre that someone wants that will work reliably on the action as it is. Someone has already asked for 450/400, so it seems that the writing is on the wall for me to have to convert the extractor / ejector to a rimmed version. Fortunately I dont think this wont take too much doing. And perhaps then do a heavy version for .577 Nitro etc if there is enough interest.
By the way the extractor is an extractor only if the lever is manipulated slowly and an ejector if manipulated rapidly.

Unfortunately these rifles are going to be pretty expensive compared to some, but very inexpensive compared to the top English makers would undoubtedly charge for the same product. I am about to get the pricing page on the web site updated in the next day or so. The price for a rifle with an excellent, (not special selection) piece of wood with all the normal extras one would expect, shadowline cheekpiece, ebony tip, quarter rib, Talley rings, grip cap, barrel band and light coverage engraving is going to cost U.S.$14,500. Add more engraving, better wood, skeleton butt plate and grip cap and the price goes up from there.

Without going into all the details, there is alot more work and time in making an action with all the detailing and compound curves that this rifle has compared to those that are essentially flat sided. In addition to the obvious exterior detailing there are things one cannot see from the pictures on the web site. For example, the front face of the trigger guard is convex in profile and the inside of the under lever that meets this face is concave, so light cannot pass between the two surfaces. The underside of the quarter rib is machined away to lighten it by approx 40%. The barrel has 2 lugs machined as part of the blank, one for the forend escutcheon and the other a lug that the quarter rib mounts on, which acts as a recoil lug and where the screw is positioned. This means that if you are shooting a lightish 375 H&H with a heavy scope mounted on it that there is no chance the screws will shear off. Nor can the forend escutcheon come off, as has previously happened with another single shot I used to own.

As of tomorrow we will have 6 receivers and associated components ready for polishing and assembly. I will endeavour to post pics shortly.

Cheers

Soroka Rifle Co.

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#141434 - 01/09/09 04:12 PM

With the $14500US, for Australians buying the rifle would that be a simple dollar conversion plus shipping costs etc. or would the rifle be going through the wholesale/retail outlet system where the $14,500 becomes $29,000AUS.

Have you established any general guidelines with respect to deposits, followed by payments along the way etc and approximate delivery times?

Would that be what you would class as your base rifle?

If I may make a small suggestion it would be to include with the rifle some basic spares such as screws etc.

I think it is important to set things up correctly. As you know most of us who have been hanging around guns for a long time and where the interest (and an interest that will manifest as a purchase)is something more than a Ruger or Howa in 308....have seen some real nice Magnum Mausers or M70 copies, only for then to disappear along with deposits.

But my gut feeling on this deal is it is good, very good.

Who stocks 300 H&H dies?

I mentioned the 300 H&H for a reason. I think about everyone would agree that shooters with more expensive rifles in particular, love pairs. A thought I had was (and allowing for the fact that I think you only want certain classes of rifle to go out the door) is if a shooter was to buy a pair such as a 300 H&H and 375 H&H or a pair of 375s etc. then one of the rifles could be made minus engraving etc.

I have not read the website in detail so perhaps this is covered, gun cases.

sirrocco
.275 member

#141436 - 01/09/09 05:09 PM

Hi Mike,
I will be selling direct to the public with no middlemen, so it is a straight conversion.
I will not take a deposit on a rifle until there is a finished assembled action with a serial number that I can allocate and if need be email a photograph (of the action) to the client. Deposit will be 30% upon order, and additional 30% when stocking starts and 40% upon completion.
The base rifle is as described in the previous post. I intend to supply a spare set of screws, springs and plungers with each purchase. As well as an instruction sheet on assembly and dis- assembly.
I happen to have a brand new unopened set of Hornady 300 H&H dies and by the looks of things I will be buying them in bulk.
As I mentioned in the previous post I have 6 receivers being finished as of today / tomorrow. We will be able to deliver a completed rifle within 2- 3 months. The barrels will be the hold up, if any. I do have a couple of sample barrels enroute in 300 and 375 now.
As you can well appreciate there has been considerable financial and time investment made in this project to get things where they are today and I can assure you that there will be no disappearance of deposits or such forth. The loss from such an action would be huge in relation to the potential win of a few thousand dollars. Be assured the first rifles will be built to impress.

I was going to make a matched pair of rifles in 300 H&H and 375 H&H using blanks SR 1012 and SR1016 with two of the receivers as a matter of course.

There is an oak and leather case making guru that lives in New Zealand. I am awaiting a price from him.

If you require further info please use the link on my website to contact me directly.

Regards

Soroka Rifle Co

Mike_McGuire
.333 member

#141437 - 01/09/09 08:06 PM

Sounds good. You are a good salesman and nothing happens without the salesman.

Will email you directly.

I have a great feeling about this rifle.

It is quite amazing your gun has appeared as I am about to make the move to help Ed Weatherbys sailng and the contrast is unreal.....but only in the rifles.

300 H&H 30-378

375 H&H 378

My gut feeling is that you have the integrity of Wby and that is a lot.

As a bit of a side note to what I said about Wby and for other members who may read what I said, that is Weatherby. They are the prized agency in Australia because of how they do business. They have always been that way.

It goes right back to Roy. Around 1972 when I was 24 I phoned Wby and spoke to Roy....that was about getting two 460s here. The agents at the time, Michales Bayley, suggested I phone Wby. Upfront the first thing Roy said was...it must go through the agent....There was no problem there as the agent had suggested I organise it, but Roy fully supported the agent. As a by the way, the write up in the Barnes No 4 Loading Manual on the 460 is by an Australian gun writer John Woods, who bought one of the 460s from me. Of the two that came, one had the shit shot out of it and the other remained unfired until about 1991. About 1993 I sold it to John Woods. By then it had shot the odd roo and pig.

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #141448 - 02/09/09 12:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What about 400 H&H and 465 H&H

I went with the Lott since it is pretty well established. The new H&H rounds? Time will tell.

AkMike
.416 member

Reged: 19/11/05
Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
      #141472 - 02/09/09 03:47 PM

Later on would you conside making a switch barrel set up? Quick takedown... Different tubes and calibers useing the same wood...
Possibly that'd sell a few more?

--------------------
"When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; you may know that your society is doomed." Ayn Rand

Edited by AkMike (02/09/09 03:48 PM)

sirrocco
.275 member

Re: New - Gibbs Styled Farquharson - Hot Off The Press ! [Re: AkMike]
      #141479 - 02/09/09 07:03 PM

Probably, as the action has no forward protrusions below the barrel shank it is quite simple to achieve. Just have to add a plate and latch to the forend. But I am not sure that take down rifles are the answer to any particular problem, and they do have their idiosyncracies and shorfalls.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 24474

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com