Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Questions for Valmet Aficionados...

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Single Shots & Combination Guns

Pages: 1
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Questions for Valmet Aficionados...
      #139045 - 15/07/09 11:36 PM

I just bought {hasn't arrived yet} a Valmet 412. Two barrel sets with it; one 12/.308 the other 12/12. I will have an inspection period so I can ship back if it is a loser. I have printed and read the gunsmith and owner's manual Nitro posted here. THANKS Nitro!!

A few questions for those who know;

1} What should I look for as "common" faults to fitting or other warts these guns might have?

2} Are barrel sets marked/stamped in any way when fitted by the factory?, i.e., How can I know if the sets were fitted by the factory?

3} Coming with the gun is a Valmet scope mount. Any "issues" I should be aware of with this mount?

Thanks!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DM
.300 member

Reged: 12/02/07
Loc: mid west USA
Re: Questions for Valmet Aficionados... [Re: 9.3x57]
      #139093 - 17/07/09 12:20 AM

1. I can't type what all to look for, but one thing you can check is, the button hinge pins on the action sides, should be "tight". You should NOT beable to turn them or move them

2. If the bbls were factory fitted, they would have the same ser. number... Very unlikely, as only a handful of ser. numbered sets were made, and they were cased with the ser. number stamped on the case too... They "could" have been fit by a dealer, gunsmith, or even Valmet USA, but there's no way to know that for sure.

3. Great mount, works very well, but it is a heavy mount! When used properly, they do come back to zero...

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Questions for Valmet Aficionados... [Re: DM]
      #139110 - 17/07/09 11:20 AM

DM, thanks.

It seems the serial numbers do in fact rarely match, and I was a bit confused by that.

Weren't these guns sold as full guns {shotguns, combos or dr's} originally or were the stocked actions sold separately and then bbl sets fitted?

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

DM
.300 member

#139146 - 17/07/09 11:20 PM

I believe they all were sold as complete guns, but i'm sure some had the bbls removed and sold seperately. I'd bet that most of the guns sold, started out with shotgun bbls on them. I'd also bet, that every action you find, has a set of bbls. "somewhere" with a matching ser. number. (Now that i said that, i supose someone will have an action that didn't come with bbls... lol)

Lots of bbls were sold without an action, but i don't believe there were many if any actions that came from the factory without bbls...

DM

9.3x57
.450 member

#139152 - 18/07/09 12:05 AM

I think you must be right about the most guns being built as shotguns. So I wonder about all the combo and DR guns that pop up on GB etc, and whether they were ever fitted by somebody who knew what he was doing. The gunsmith instructions Nitro has posted here are really quite simple, but obviously require somebody to take some time and care in doing so. I can use that to check the fitting of the gun.

--------------------

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
      #139588 - 26/07/09 10:29 PM

I had a set with three barrels. The original gun was a 12/.222 combo with numbers matching. The 12/12 and .30-06/.30-06 were stand-alone barrel sets with separate numbers.

I got a lot of use out of that kit.

Good luck,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Reged: 29/04/07
Loc: Western NC
Re: Questions for Valmet Aficionados... [Re: CptCurl]
      #140154 - 07/08/09 05:25 AM

Quote:

I had a set with three barrels. The original gun was a 12/.222 combo with numbers matching. The 12/12 and .30-06/.30-06 were stand-alone barrel sets with separate numbers.

I got a lot of use out of that kit.

Good luck,
Curl

What sort of accuracy did you see with the rifle barrels. I'm considering buying a 412 in 30-06 and was wondering about the accuracy potential.

CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Re: Questions for Valmet Aficionados... [Re: Carpetsahib]
      #140181 - 07/08/09 09:25 PM

I had good accuracy and primarily used the rifle barrels to the exclusion of the other barrels.

The .222 barrel approached a bolt gun in its accuracy. I developed a load using the 70 grain Speer bullet because I figured a deer might present itself. Mostly it was used for squirrel hunting, and shots at squirrels in high pasture are usually long.

The double .30/06 was a workhorse. I don't remember how many deer I bagged with it, but there were a good number. Also squirrels, and always head shots.

I didn't like the single trigger and bought the parts to convert to double triggers. It was an easy project I did myself, and really improved the gun. Use of the combination barrels was a real problem with the single triggger. I wish I had put the single trigger back in the gun before selling it so I would have the double triggers on hand in the event I ever acquire another Valmet. Hopefully they are still available. I wouldn't own the rig without double triggers. Anybody need an extra Valmet ST mechanism???

I can't quote you anything about targets shot, group size, etc. It's been too long ago. Suffice it to say I'm a varmint hunter with a high demand for accuracy. It suited me in that department.

The rig gets right heavy with the double rifle barrels installed.

Hope this helps. You might direct the question to current users of this system for more current info.

Curl

P.S. Where are you in Western N.C.? I'm a Chapel Hill grad and used to have a lot of friends from the Asheville area. Also, my uncle used to be a professor at Western Carolina. Pretty country down there.

Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Carpetsahib
.333 member

Re: Questions for Valmet Aficionados... [Re: CptCurl]
      #140187 - 07/08/09 11:16 PM

Curl,

Thanks for the info.

You are right: this is a beautiful area. I live in Burnsville which is halfway between Asheville and Boone. Across the valley from my house is Celo Mountain, a 6300 ft. peak at the northern end of the Black Mountains. Mount Mitchell (6684 ft) is on the southern end of this range.

Carpetsahib

DM
.300 member

#140207 - 08/08/09 09:01 AM

Here's how "my" 412, with 12/30-06 combi bbl. shoots...

DM

Carpetsahib
.333 member

#140273 - 10/08/09 12:08 AM

Very nice!

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
      #140274 - 10/08/09 12:16 AM

Good shooting, DB - GREAT rifle!

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Huvius 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4389

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com