Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Round Balls in Choked Shotgun

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
CptCurlAdministrator
.450 member

Reged: 01/05/04
Loc: Fincastle, Botetourt County, V...
Round Balls in Choked Shotgun
      #140115 - 06/08/09 12:13 PM

Our resident guru, Daryl_S has often told us about his method of shooting round balls from a choked shotgun with great success. I have been fascinated by his practice, but I have never taken the task on.

Lately I have been reading the classic work of W.W. Greener, The Gun and Its Development, 9th Edition. Just yesterday I came on a passage that substantiates everything Daryl has said on these forums. I scanned the pages (pp. 390-392) and will now present them to you. The interesting stuff begins just below the middle of page 391 and continues onto 392.

Page 390

Pay particular attention starting with the paragraph that begins, "Choke bore guns may be used as ball guns . . ."

Page 391:

So there is the word from 100 years ago given by an authority in the design and manufacture of shotguns.

Daryl_S has it right.

Best,
Curl

--------------------
RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinkerModerator
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Round Balls in Choked Shotgun [Re: CptCurl]
      #140119 - 06/08/09 12:45 PM

Curl-

I'm sure our friend Daryl will rest much easier when he sees this

The Good Lord knows that many Canadian Moose have found eternal rest upon their first word of this news!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Round Balls in Choked Shotgun [Re: tinker]
      #140138 - 07/08/09 12:32 AM

No rest for the wicked!
Greener's work, 'The Gun and it's Development 9th Edition", which I was given a copy of back in '76, became my inspiration for working with double 12 bores and round balls. With a bit of work, I was able to beat Greener's diagrams by a considerable margin, and used the round ball double for deer the first time in about '83. Friends of mine then used the patched balls in their duck guns, (ball and patch easily passed through the chokes with only .002" compression per side only) for moose while they were duck hunting.
I've never shot a moose with my 12 bore shotgun, however I have some heavily patched 15 bore balls loaded up for the double barrel Husky at his time, ready for fall grouse hunting. At 30 yards, they do better than bare balls did from the gun's straight rifling, cutting a 2 1/4" hole for 8 shots. Note the Husky is 16 bore only in it's choked left hand 'shot' barrel, while the right is 13 bore straight rifled. That's the barrel I shoot the patched balls from - a 15 bore ball with a .025" patch.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Round Balls in Choked Shotgun [Re: DarylS]
      #140139 - 07/08/09 12:45 AM

Note Greener mentions using a 14 bore ball in the full choked 12. A 14 bore ball is as actual .693", but normally .690". A normal '12' with full choke used to be .690", same as the normal 40 points of choke in a .730" bore- thus, the ball fits the choke.

My buds used pure lead and WW .684" balls with very thin tee-shirt material for patching and said they were able to push the patched balls through the chokes when asked about this important feature.

With a 1,300fps smokeless load ('1 1/4oz. duck load'), howard put a WW 14 bore ball through both sides of a 45 gallon (IMP) fuel barrel. A factory 'Foster' slug merely made a lead splash and dent, with a tiny slit in the middle on the impact side. The 'boys' were impressed with round balls and subsequently both used them to advantage on moose after that.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

watto
.275 member

Reged: 10/06/07
Loc: Victoria,Australia
Re: Round Balls in Choked Shotgun [Re: DarylS]
      #143520 - 12/10/09 10:11 AM

G'day Daryl and others, this post has appeared at the perfect time for me. I have recently purchased a La Sorda 16g SxS with the idea of using it mainly with solids. I have been looking at rifled slugs for the more open choke and intended using shot only in the tighter barrel. After reading this post I see that this is not the way to go. I have already fitted rifle sights to the gun so as soon as I can feed it I can start testing. I went for 16g in the first place because I have a 16g cape gun, with moulds but the projectiles are way to big for the shotty. How much under choke size would you suggest for round ball and how about a paper patched conical. Would you have a smokeless suggested starting load for either? Also have you ever used the Federal rifled slug in 16g, I see they claim about 1750fps for this projectile?

With thanks and good shooting, Ian.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3518

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com