Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: price of rifles

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Big Bore Rifles

Pages: 1
livinus
.224 member

Reged: 12/06/06
Loc: belgium
price of rifles
      #139954 - 03/08/09 09:42 AM

Last year I bought a pre-64 458 african in nice condition. While I have no intentions of selling it, I do have questions about its 'Blue Book' value: these rifles apparently never come into the market, so where does the 'Blue book' value comes from? I guess this question goes for a lot of other guns that rarely, if ever, come to sale.
Greetings,
Livinus

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Re: price of rifles [Re: livinus]
      #139956 - 03/08/09 10:29 AM

Livinus:
I've been collecting pre-'64 Winchesters (primarily lever actions, but also some Model 70's) long enough to be able to tell you that Blue Book values on the collector's pieces "lag" the market significantly. Even though the editors attempt to gauge market prices based on recent sales, in some cases the "real" and "book" values don't ever seem to jibe.

Depending on condition and rarity (like being one of the 50 or so made with a single crossbolt in the stock) your pre-'64 African would probably sell for anywhere between $4,000 and $6,000 right now.

Anyone interested in collecting should really watch more than buy for a period of time, to have a better idea of what real values are. Then you're also in a good position to recognize the few bargains out there when you see them.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1864

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com