Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Alligator rifle shot?

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting in the Americas

Pages: 1
Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Alligator rifle shot?
      #139702 - 28/07/09 11:08 PM

Hello Folks,

I have an opportunity to spot-and-stalk an alligator. Please help me to find information on alligator anatomy so I can research shot placement from various angles. Thanks.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Alligator rifle shot? [Re: Tatume]
      #139708 - 29/07/09 12:18 AM

Tom, you might get ahold of Robertsons book the Perfect Shot. Has a section on Af crocs and that might suffice if the general concepts can be verified by those who know, here.

Sounds like a great hunt by the way.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Alligator rifle shot? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #139710 - 29/07/09 12:33 AM

do you want to try a cross bow first and hand line it .it is fun to stalkit in a boat from 3-6 foot and shoot.when they are above 10 feet yoy have your hands full.the shot is the same croc or gator but let me know how you do.

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Alligator rifle shot? [Re: 9.3x57]
      #139735 - 29/07/09 12:18 PM

Quote:

Tom, you might get ahold of Robertsons book the Perfect Shot. Has a section on Af crocs and that might suffice if the general concepts can be verified by those who know, here.

Sounds like a great hunt by the way.

Tom
Agree with 9.3--use Robertson's info in "Perfect Shot"...I have used it quite a bit while on Safari--great info

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Alligator rifle shot? [Re: Ripp]
      #139927 - 02/08/09 10:54 PM

Although I have not yet acquired Robertsons “Perfect Shot,” the best information I have located is Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission and Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission advice on usage of the bang stick. They say to place the bang stick behind the eyes and angled forward, to aim at a brain about the size of one joint of a man’s thumb. It appears that my best strategy will be to stalk an alligator that is resting on the bank facing the water. Shooting from behind and slightly above should allow me to find the brain case.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

bwananelson
.400 member

#139939 - 03/08/09 02:49 AM

the brain is slightly bigger than a walnut don't hesitate with a shot to the neck or broiler room i would use solids,less hide damage. they are not hard to kill many have been taken with 22's.i have a life size mount i will take some pictures and show you placement and angle.that might help you

--------------------

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Alligator rifle shot? [Re: bwananelson]
      #139941 - 03/08/09 03:30 AM

Quote:

the brain is slightly bigger than a walnut don't hesitate with a shot to the neck

I figure to hold to the rear of the brain for a shot from the rear. If I fall short of the brain case, I should connect with the spine.

Quote:

or broiler room

I don't know where to hold for a shot here. The irrigation ditches I'll be hunting are confined enough that I expect to be able to retrieve an animal that makes it to the water, but I prefer to not have to.

Quote:

i would use solids, less hide damage.

Hide damage is not as important to me as securing the animal. Right now I'm planning to use my Ruger #1 International in 270 Winchester with Sierra 130 gr flat based bullets. Of course, for a hunt next summer, I could change my mind.

Quote:

they are not hard to kill many have been taken with 22's.

I know, and many with 30-30s too. I used to read stories about poachers using various home-made sound suppressors on lever-actioned rifles.

Quote:

i have a life size mount i will take some pictures and show you placement and angle. that might help you

This will be much appreciated.

I wish you had access to some private-land hunts where I could use my rifle. I'd like to hunt with you, but for personal reasons I will use a rifle.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Edited by Tatume (03/08/09 04:10 AM)

Sarg
.400 member

Reged: 20/01/07
Loc: Nil
      #139951 - 03/08/09 07:43 AM

I have never shot a Gator but have shot a fair few Crocs & I think a 270 is too light , more so with
130Gr slugs , better with a 30/06 min with 180's , Barnes or Swift A frame and up .

I must say how ever that a 9 footer is a pussy compared to a 12 footer where things start to get serious , even a 10 footer is far more substantial than only a foot shorter but many pounds lighter 9 footer !

I have had a 400Gr soft @ over 2000fps only crack the skull of a 14.5 footer & stun him not kill him out right , very surprising , the cracking going right into the brain pan !

See if any of these help .

bwananelson
.400 member

Re: Alligator rifle shot? [Re: Sarg]
      #139953 - 03/08/09 08:54 AM

i agree 100% if though your after 8 or less a 223 is plenty

--------------------

iqbal
resigned as a member

Reged: 05/02/03
Loc: Karachi,Pakistan
      #139975 - 03/08/09 10:56 PM

Tom,i have shot a few crocs. including a 13 footer with my.270 using 130 gr.bullets.Shot placement was just behind the neck.Rifle was firmly placed and there was also a backup gun in case the croc. was injured and started to head towards the water.Distance was about 25 yards.There are a few lakes here right in the middle of the desert with large sand dunes enabling one to crawl behind them right up to the croc.

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Re: Alligator rifle shot? [Re: iqbal]
      #140045 - 05/08/09 11:17 AM

Tatume-
Where are you doing your hunt? The standard method in Texas is to bring them in on a hand line, after they've swallowed a large hook baited with a chicken, pig, etc., then finish the job with a handgun at point-blank range. Things get a little exciting when the nostrils clear the surface, but I've always wanted to try them spot & stalk with a good rifle.

We had a big one a couple of years ago wake up, puke, and start waddling off after being "dispatched" with a 22 Magnum. What made that exciting was we'd all already posed for all the photos near him, on him, holding his mouth open, etc.

bwananelson
.400 member

Re: Alligator rifle shot? [Re: taw1126]
      #140047 - 05/08/09 11:27 AM

your guide never severed the spinal cord what was he thinking to shoot one at the end of a rope does not sound sporting to me but i guess each to his own and he was not dispatched he was shot and missed the brain your lucky you have your limbs.i have killed over 100 and when i pull them in the boat they never twitch,but what do i know im no expert

--------------------

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Re: Alligator rifle shot? [Re: bwananelson]
      #140052 - 05/08/09 12:25 PM

First limiting factor is that there was no guide...these are landowner tags doled out by TPWD (not my land, not my tags, but it's hard to keep me away from a hunt of any kind). But you're right- I don't think it's the most sporting way to go, and you have no idea if you're getting a mature animal or not. The only way to handicap that aspect is to hang the bait higher off the water in hopes that only a big animal can reach it.

Needless to say the 22 Magnum hasn't been pulled out since. My choice is a .45 ACP with 230-grain FMJ in the event that I'm asked to handle the shot.

Tatume
.400 member

Re: Alligator rifle shot? [Re: taw1126]
      #140072 - 05/08/09 08:48 PM

Hi Sarg,
Quote:

I have never shot a Gator but have shot a fair few Crocs & I think a 270 is too light , more so with 130Gr slugs, better with a 30/06 min with 180's....

The illustrations you sent are exactly what I need. Thank you.

I have confidence in the 270 Winchester. I may bump the bullet weight up to 150 gr, which has slightly greater sectional density than a 180 gr 30 caliber bullet.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

Tatume
.400 member

#140073 - 05/08/09 08:51 PM

Hi Tex,
Quote:

Where are you doing your hunt? ... I've always wanted to try them spot & stalk with a good rifle.

In Florida it is legal to hunt alligators with rifles on private land (just to be clear, the alligator needn't have a rifle :-). They used to have a season that allowed only large alligators to be taken during the summer. The fellow I’m probably going to hunt with is very expensive, and charges much more for the large animals. As a teacher I have two strikes against me. I work for teacher’s pay, and I can’t take time off except during the summer.

They recently removed the summer restriction on eight footers, which is why I’m now going after a relatively small alligator. The size is fine with me, as I do not keep trophies, except I will tan hides to make knife sheathes. On the other hand, I’m very fond of alligator meat. Although Nelson tells me there isn’t much of it on an eight-foot alligator, it will still be a bunch to me, I’m sure.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

bwananelson
.400 member

#140089 - 06/08/09 01:26 AM

i am working on a private tag also are you inked in then i can maybe get you a biger animal this land owner gets 1 a yearand i will scout it for you

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3745

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com