Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Lee Speed ID

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Con
.333 member

Reged: 24/05/04
Loc: Victoria
Lee Speed ID
      #138653 - 08/07/09 05:00 PM

Guys,
Today on a tip off about an unusual rifle, I went and had a look at a 'bitza rifle'.

Anyone care to venture what it may be:
Serial number is 3 digit 5XX
Bolt head is marked: Patent 19.145/90
Lee Metford action, 5 shot magazine with gorgeous curve to it, magazine cut-off still there as is the dust cover. No military stamps.
Right strap: Lee Speed Patents and below it BSA Co, left strap clean.

For $250 I thought I'd better grab it as it'll make a beautiful restoration Lee Speed.

Wood is a mix of SMLE butt and Metford front with Metford nose cap, barrel is a SMLE barrel.

Pictures will follow in a month or so when it comes to live here, before going to straight to the 'smith for a full clean-up, new barrel, new stock and 21st century restoration into a Lee-Speed sporter.

Going to be asking a million questions ... hope your all ready!!
Cheers...
Con

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rowdy
.275 member

Reged: 12/09/04
Loc: Victoria. Australia
Re: Lee Speed ID [Re: Con]
      #138665 - 08/07/09 10:21 PM

What's a Metford nose cap - does it fit an 1888 bayonet?
Do not be too hasty to restore it until it can be identified.

Con
.333 member

Re: Lee Speed ID [Re: Rowdy]
      #138702 - 09/07/09 06:11 AM

Rowdy,
Will indeed give it a closer once over. The butt stock I now believe to be a Metford original as Skennerton refers to them as being yellow metal ... this one looked like brass and at the top was rolled over into a heel with a stamping I assume to be a unit identifier. It's stamped R43. The nose piece looks to me like what was used in the Metford rifles with extension for fitting the '88 sword bayonet. I'm not up on MLE's at all!! Magazine has a fish belly bottom line and is just gorgeous! I'll post pictures once I grab it.

I've been offered and will grab another MLE military action ... then ring TSE and see if they'll octagonalise a 375cal barrel. The military rifle may remorph as a carbine length 375 x 2 1/2" whilst the Lee Speed may end up as a full length rifle. So many choices, so little money!
Cheers...
Con
Cheers...
Con

Rowdy
.275 member

Reged: 12/09/04
Loc: Victoria. Australia
Re: Lee Speed ID [Re: Con]
      #138769 - 10/07/09 06:10 PM

Anything like the #3 carbine?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/Narrewarren/CatalogueCarbines.jpg

Con
.333 member

Re: Lee Speed ID [Re: Rowdy]
      #138796 - 11/07/09 07:44 AM

Rowdy,
Perhaps originally? Now it's fitted with a SMLE barrel with SMLE rear and front sight. I've decided that one of the actions will be restored as a #3 carbine for hunting Sambar with a Woodleigh 215gr ... thanks for the photo link ... I've been looking exactly for that image! I just need to locate a source for a Metford rear and front sight, then I'll have MAB profile a barrel as per the originals. Just need to find exactly what the original profile was like? Some references seem to suggest its like the SMLE light profile?
Cheers...
Con
PS: From memory the one I located is also missing the sling swivel point from the butt and the swivels from both front and rear.

Edited by Con (11/07/09 07:47 AM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3167

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com