Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Rifled chokes

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Paradox and Bore Guns

Pages: 1
prof242
.275 member

Reged: 10/02/04
Loc: Colorado, USA
Rifled chokes
      #138737 - 09/07/09 09:29 PM

I tried a search on this forum with the above subject. Didn't find anything. What I'm considering doing is taking a double-barreled 12ga with screw-in rifled chokes and using it as my hog/stopping rifle. Any experience in this area? If there are previous comments, please pass the info on to me. I'd greatly appreciate it.

--------------------
Politically correct = morally wrong

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DarylS
.700 member

Reged: 10/08/05
Loc: Beautiful British Columbia, Ca...
Re: Rifled chokes [Re: prof242]
      #138752 - 10/07/09 10:12 AM

I hesitated to say anything, but since this is the second post concerning this, the only thing I've heard about rifled chokes is with the Remington variety in single barreled guns.

The report wasn't very helpful, just that with the slugs tried, accuracy wasn't up to snuff, whatever that means. now, a different slug, or perhaps round ball load migth work perfectly. One must jump into the fire and try it.

A short barreled double 12 bore, with rifle sights, can be made to shoot quite well for out to 75 yards - if the person is willing to do some experimenting with loads and loading methods. You probably won't be able to buy good shooting ammo across the counter - but then, maybe you can.

My double work with balls was with using the African-type loads of the late 1800's. This means I stopped working with them when I found not only good accuracy, but loads that ran the balls at just over 1,500fps, the equivelance of the 7 dram African load, 191gr. of Black Powder. In my case, I used 2FGOEX real black powder for the BP load development, then switched to smokeless to duplicate those loads with safe laods in my gun. It was easy. I have no data nor did I attempt to try T7 or any of the other black powder replacements. They may or may not be suitable for this work. Today, Lyman gives load data for slugs as well as round balls. Purchase their #3, #4, or #5 books on shotgun loading. Too, the later books give data for the 525gr. waisted slug they sell a mould for. This one is supposed to shoot well.

--------------------
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a Spaniel without ears" King George V

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Rifled chokes [Re: DarylS]
      #138754 - 10/07/09 10:57 AM

I tested some rifled choke tubes many years ago and found them to offer nothing that an appropriately selected smooth choke would do for the various slugs tested. Meaning, if you try various slugs, try various tubes. You may find one or another tube type that provides the best performance, but I doubt the rifled tube will be it.

I might add, I never tried round balls, and MAYBE properly sized RB with a rifled tube might just be onions on the liver.

Experimentation is the answer.

Most gun lore is ultimately reduced to science, but I'm pretty sure smoothboring slugs and RB's is chock full of voodoo!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

prof242
.275 member

Reged: 10/02/04
Loc: Colorado, USA
Re: Rifled chokes [Re: 9.3x57]
      #138767 - 10/07/09 04:21 PM

Thanks guys. If a sxs w/screw in chokes becomes available, I'll try the rifled chokes just to experiment. The round ball efforts I've been reading about will probably be my next effort. My hunting buddy has an old Stevens sxs that he's slowly been cutting the barrels back and checking accuracy. It has been beneficial so far and he's using factory loads. I'm not sure of his accuracy findings, but will contact him for info.

--------------------
Politically correct = morally wrong

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  tinker 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2715

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com