Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Length of Pull

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Double Rifles, Single Shots & Combinations >> Building Double Rifles & Gunsmithing

Pages: 1
Mauser416
.300 member

Reged: 20/06/07
Loc: Corpus Christi, Texas
Length of Pull
      #138504 - 05/07/09 07:01 PM

Which method do you use to determine the proper length of pull for your double rifle?

Eric

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Huvius
.416 member

Reged: 04/11/07
Loc: Colorado
Re: Length of Pull [Re: Mauser416]
      #138524 - 06/07/09 01:11 AM

Meaning measure an existing LOP or decide what would be good for you?

--------------------
He who lives in the past is doomed to enjoy it.

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #138528 - 06/07/09 03:04 AM

I simply took the measurements off my favorite Perazzi international skeet gun. My .458 DR has interchangeable barrels in 20 gauge 3" magnum, which I have successfully shot skeet with, and I have also shot skeet with the .458 barrels, using .410 factory loads with plastic shot columns.

The measurements I adopted were more than simply length of pull. They included drop at comb, drop at heel, and cast-off. Rather than measureing length of pull simply from the front trigger to the middle of the butt, I used three measurements: trigger to heel, trigger to middle of butt and trigger to toe, which is a way of measuring pitch.

Mauser416
.300 member

Re: Length of Pull [Re: Huvius]
      #138535 - 06/07/09 09:07 AM

I would like to determine what is best for me. I believe a DR length of pull should be similar to a shotgun rather than a rifle. All of my firearms purchases thus far have been off the shelf i.e. LOP is whatever the manufacturer decides. As ease of handling is one of the benefits of a DR I figured I should begin by looking at the proper LOP.

Eric

--------------------
There is nothing worse in this world than an enslaved man who naively believes himself free, except, perhaps, trying to explain to that same man his predicament.

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #138540 - 06/07/09 10:30 AM

As Xausa has pointed out quite correctly, cast and drop have the realy critical impact on the handeling of a DR or shotgun. LOP is important but can easily be adjusted within realistic paramiters.
Everbody shoots an instintive weapon, either a SG or DR better if it is fitted for them. Alas too few of us do this adapting to off the shelf guns or old DR's built for monsters or dwarfs.
Cast and drop is what brings the sighting plane into our instintive vision. LOP is influenced all the time by what we are wearing anyway (again within realistic parmiters)

If the DR maker is not offering fitting (what is your budget ?) then it would be wise to visit a good shooting school with an adjustable try gun and shoot a few round of sporting, tinkering with the fit until you have it right. It would be best of course if there is an experienced fitter there wih you. It is money well spent.

Regards

AFRO408
.333 member

Reged: 21/01/09
Loc: Arding NSW
      #138580 - 07/07/09 07:55 AM

Mauser 416, Hi.
We are adaptable creatures, but it becomes a real pain in the butt, after a while, just adapting to an extra 1/2" length of pull that shouldn't be there. It is far easier to modify the gun than ourselves.
I think that the balance point should be between the hands ( in your natural hold ) and the butt should come up smothly, from the ready position, without snagging your clothing.
Everything has to fit you not the other way around. Once you have a gun fitted to your build, you will be amazed at how less tiring shooting is.
I have an old 1917 Hollis, nitro proofed SxS 12g hammer gun,that I wouldn't trade for anything because it fits me exactly and did from the first time I picked it up. When I bring it up it is there, on target, every time. It's just up to the nut behind the butt to slap the trigger at the right time.

As Bramble says, the time and money getting a gun fitted is well spent.

Cheers
Afro

--------------------
Flinch ? Wot flinch ? Gunsmithing is my PASSION.

alexbeer
.333 member

Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Tasmania, Australia
Re: Length of Pull [Re: AFRO408]
      #138590 - 07/07/09 12:10 PM

Quote:

Which method do you use to determine the proper length of pull for your double rifle?

Find some-one who knows what they are doing to help you fit it.

The previous three posts from xausa, Bramble and 408NICKAL are right on.

To shoot the best with it, any gun or rifle should fit you, but if you are planning on chasing dangerous game, the rifle MUST fit you . All things will proberbly go well, but if things go pear shaped, a rifle that fits you could well save the day.

When you get into a car, any car, to go on a long drive, wouldn't you adjust the seat to suit you? It just makes driving heaps more pleasurable and far less tiring. Same with a gun or rifle, get it properly fitted to you and you'll enjoy it even more. It's actually worth a lot more than the money it cost to get it fitted.

Do a little home work first though, don't let "I'll have a crack at it Bob" down the road touch it. Ask around and find someone who knows what they are doing, ask him for the names of some satisfied customers and talk to them first if possible, only then let your chosen stock-fitter fit the stock to you .

This may sound somewhat extreme, but done right, a properly fitted rifle it is a huge advantage, done wrong it will be a huge disappointment and you will wish you had left the damn thing alone.

Repeat - A dangerous game rifle must fit!!

Because mine fits me, I can pretty consistantly hit clay targets sitting on the ground between 10 and 20 yards with out looking at the sights. I can just look at the target, throw the rifle up and squeeze the trigger as the butt comes into my shoulder. It took a little time, but it sure is satisfying to know it "fits".

My $0.02 worth, bit long, but I trust it helps

Alex

alexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

Mauser416
.300 member

#138627 - 08/07/09 02:41 AM

I guess I need to start scouting around for someone to properly fit a stock! I'll have to wait until I get time at home and look up a few potential sources. I can think of one guy that has many happy trap/skeet customers.

I appreciate everyone's recommendations.

Eric

--------------------

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #138638 - 08/07/09 06:37 AM

"Happy trap/skeet customers" is a good start, but find someone who stocks guns for shooters who shoot "low gun," that is, they don't start with their gun already mounted in the shooting position.

This is where international skeet comes in. Under international (UIT) rules, when the bird is called for the toe of the stock must be touching a marker on the shooting jacket determined by the point of the shooter's elbow, and must remain there until the bird is released, which can be any time up to three seconds after the call. That means that the shooter must react to the bird and not the other way around.

Smooth, quick and sure gun mounting are a prerequisite for success, since the international target travels at about 100 mph.

A stock maker who can supply a stock for this game will be able to do the same for your dangerous game rifle.

alexbeer
.333 member

Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Tasmania, Australia
Re: Length of Pull [Re: xausa]
      #138660 - 08/07/09 08:45 PM

Excellent xausa,

Once again, right on the money

Regards

Alex

alexbeer.com

--------------------

Details matter!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CptCurl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 499

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com