Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Airdales

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Hunting >> Hunting dogs

Pages: 1
mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Airdales
      #138158 - 29/06/09 01:07 AM

Does anyone here have an Airdale?

I'm looking for a big dog and have heard they are good watch dogs and are pretty decent hunting dogs also.

I know they fit the criteria of being big so they can defend themselves from predators.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Airdales [Re: mickey]
      #138162 - 29/06/09 06:14 AM

Mickey

In my experience it depends if you are going to kennel it or have it in the house.

Because of that wirey coat and a kind of oil they secrete from the skin, every one that I have ever been near stinks.

They can make good guard dogs though but I have never seen one hunt.

Regards

mickey
.416 member

Reged: 05/01/03
Loc: Pend Oreille Valley, Idaho
Re: Airdales [Re: Bramble]
      #138169 - 29/06/09 08:22 AM

Bramble

I need an outside Dog for my property but I like a dog that can come inside also. I have had Chesapeakes and they have a lanolin coat and stink when wet so, when they want in, have to stay out.

I have been told they are the Dog that Jack Russells think they are. I have a JR and that would be a good dog indeed if true.

We have Bears (Blacks and Grizzly), Cougars, Coyotes and Bobcats around and I am looking for a dog that will keep the yard safe for the other animals. I also want it to be able to defend itself and to be big enough to give any bad guys second thoughts about visiting when no one is home.

--------------------
Lovu Zdar
Mick

A Man of Pleasure, Enterprise, Wit and Spirit Rare Books, Big Game Hunting, English Rifles, Fishing, Explosives, Chauvinism, Insensitivity, Public Drunkenness and Sloth, Champion of Lost and Unpopular Causes.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #138172 - 29/06/09 10:41 AM

I know nothing about Airdales.

We have a Plott Hound and an American Pit Bull Terrier.
Here in Downtown Oakland, there hasn't been a two-legged *anything* yet to cross our fence line.
Pretty much everything four-legged that's hit the turf out there has been shredded (although we have and have had other *family animals* that they've left alone).

The dogs are both wonderful animals, but we don't leave them indoors much with the kids (2 and 4 years old this week) unless we're there to supervise.

They're an excellent BS indicator. As well as cats, opossum, other dogs, coon... they completely blow up whenever anyone of seemingly questionable character makes it into the neighborhood.
They've made a good difference around what will/will not tread near our place.

Both dogs keep clean and don't stink at all even when wet. We feed them good quality food and don't let them get into people food or trash.
The Plott is an amazing bear hunting dog. He helped me get my Black Bear last season I hunted.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
Re: Airdales [Re: tinker]
      #138203 - 29/06/09 09:58 PM

One of the ones I know of that the people had as a guard dog, they had a "dog flap" in the door.

One night they was a hell of a rucus and when the police got there all they found was the dog (perfectly fine), blood, and a screwdriver stuck in the door jam where the miscrent abandoned it :-)

Regards

PS The bastards stink when they are dry as well though IMO.

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Airdales [Re: Bramble]
      #138208 - 29/06/09 10:48 PM

An ex of mine had an Airdale. They are uber protective and loyal dogs. Bred to hunt bigger animals I beleive. This was a pet.

BNagel
.224 member

Reged: 21/03/09
Loc: Clute, Texas
Re: Airdales [Re: tophet1]
      #138209 - 29/06/09 11:14 PM

I have an Airedale. The breeder is mostly into show dogs but has had customers wanting hunting dogs. Her comment is the guy went to pit bulls (for hog hunting in Texas) because "Airedales DO know when to let go". They are smart, protective and ours stays inside mostly. Not smelly, but they have to be brushed out A LOT and heat is a bad thing. If they are trained to water and hunting they are known to be great. Justin was raised in Utah as a show dog and returned -- "rescued" by us in the Houston area. My two daughters and my wife really enjoy him! Justin thinks he is in charge of puppy behavior and we have to watch him around little ones, especially boys on any kind of wheel (skates, etc.)

I think sometimes people have cross-bred Airedales with something bigger. Maybe they smell? Terriers are ground oriented and were bred to handle otters as well as rat problems in England. You might get a digger -- the breeder's yard is dug up bad.

They have an undercoat and have to be trimmed at least four times a year to look "right".

Edited by BNagel (29/06/09 11:22 PM)

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Airdales [Re: BNagel]
      #138210 - 29/06/09 11:40 PM

Although this grooming page is from the Lakeland terrier club, it is applicable to all wire-haired terrier breeds. You might find it useful.

http://www.uslakelandterrier.org/Default.aspx?tabid=58

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Airdales [Re: Tatume]
      #138219 - 30/06/09 03:05 AM

On perimeter control-

Quote:

guy went to pit bulls because "Airedales DO know when to let go"

A few months ago the next door neighbor (great guy) had a general contractor do some work to his house.
Part of that was a course of siding on the second story/back of his house. The GC had some mexicans doing labor for him, and from the high vantage they were able to see my dogs.
One of them took his (wooden) painter's ladder over to my fence line and proceeded to try to make friends with my dogs.
I was on site, and I speak a fair bit of spanish so I upped him in conversation. He wasn't engaging with me, but one of his mexican associates did. Turns out the guy on the ladder knew what a Plott hound was. I immediately told them that they needed to keep off my fence line, and that they needed to keep away from my yard and dogs, promised that I wouldn't involve the police, and that I could guarantee that they wouldn't likely survive the terrier if they made it into my yard.

After they left the site that night, I noticed that they'd left their ladder at the fence.
I grabbed it and gave it to my terrier for 'processing' as a late-day chew toy.
By sundown the ladder had been reduced to shoe-sized pieces, which I offered to the mexicans the next day.
They never returned to the site.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

xausa
.400 member

Reged: 07/03/07
Loc: Tennessee, USA
      #138227 - 30/06/09 06:38 AM

My most recent dog was an Airdale. She died at the ripe old age of 13 and I haven't had another dog since. She was not too high on the brightness scale, except compared with my other dogs, (Irish wolfhounds, bassets, borzois) but she was always friendly, devoted and fearless. I got her for my two year old son and they grew up together. I don't mind admitting that I cried when I had to put her down. I would recommend the breed unhesitatingly.

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Airdales [Re: xausa]
      #138662 - 08/07/09 09:37 PM

Why dont you have a look at the Rhodesian Ridgeback.
They are good inside ,not smelly,and are fearless hunters,and have a very aloof nature.
Al

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

ALAN_MCKENZIE
.400 member

Reged: 24/03/04
Loc: Western Australia
Re: Airdales [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #138663 - 08/07/09 09:44 PM

Here is a good site on dogs .
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/abc.htm

--------------------
"Dogs always bark at their master"
Sir Seretse Khama.25th June 1949

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Airdales [Re: ALAN_MCKENZIE]
      #138668 - 08/07/09 10:39 PM

Funny you mention this.

I was just in New Jersey, and along the way visited a friend who has two Airdales.

They are good-sized dogs. I liked them tho normally I like the looks of smooth or shorter-coated dogs. He doesn't hunt with them, and they are basically pets/guard dogs. They were both cut males, and very nice dogs. I did notice a little "dog" smell. Not really strong, but up close with my eyes closed, I could tell they were dogs, not my wife with a bit of Cloe behind her ears.

As for protecting themselves against predators, we have all you mentioned. I've never seen any of those to be really significant threats to dogs. Big size is no disadvantage for sure. One you didn't mention is one you will probably have in a few years, the wolf, and there is no dog alive that can stand against them.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #192003 - 17/10/11 12:38 PM

I had an Airedale a long time ago and she was practically fearless. Very friendly with people, and dynamite on other animals or dogs. They can teach much bigger dogs a lesson in good manners. Good brushing keeps the smell away from them and the breed lives really long. Like other terriers that I have had, she loved an opportunity to fight. I would worry if I had other dogs or other pets at home, but otherwise, there would be no problem at all.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

FrankFarmer
.300 member

Reged: 06/08/06
Loc: Florida USA.
Re: Airdales [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #192191 - 20/10/11 12:53 PM

Theodore Roosevelt is quoted as saying; "An Airedale can do anything that any other dog can do, only better."

I grew up with a total of 4 members of the breed. Airedales are the largest Terrier, the English "Standard of the breed" is about 45 lbs. The "Amarican" Airedales can run almost 100 lbs. All of my dogs were loyal, good with children, all would defend their families and homes. All lived to be 12-14 years.
They tolerated other pets. All enjoyed the company of other dogs, but jealous of their stuff. Some were fearless and charged into any foray believing they were invincible, others were like knife fighters, slashing and retreating to slash again. None would back down, even when prudent to do so. They have a keen character, love to play, are natural comedians. They love to hunt and patrol the perimeter of their property.
They love to steal, anything and eveything for the fun of it.

John Hunter in his book "African Huner" mentions hunting lions (for profit) with a pack of dogs obtained from the local pound. Hunter's favourite was a part Airedale who unfortunately would charge lions.

They have a two layer coat, a coarse outer (hard) coat and a soft oily undercoat, they are water dogs, the breed being a cross of terrier and otter hound.This may be the smell that has been mentioned. A brisk brushing will prevent this.They were originally bred to hunt.
I have seen some with webbed feet like a Labrador.

As a youth Marrion Morrison (John Wayne) had an Airedale named Duke. Marrion and Duke hung around the local firehall. The firemen would call them Little Duke and Big Duke. Marrion started calling himself Duke and would answer to no other name. Marrion or Duke? - Not even a choice!

Edited by FrankFarmer (20/10/11 01:47 PM)

458Win
.333 member

Reged: 15/12/06
Loc: Alaska
Re: Airdales [Re: FrankFarmer]
      #192262 - 21/10/11 05:01 PM

I owned a male Airdale many years ago. He was intelligent, loyal and nowhere as overly protective as the Chesse I owned later. Mine was rather aloof around other dogs and not agressive but if challanged would not back down. Sort of a large, confident Jack Russell

--------------------
Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either never used one - or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

333_okh
.275 member

Reged: 24/12/05
Loc: Northern California
Re: Airdales [Re: 458Win]
      #198291 - 01/01/12 08:48 AM

We used to run three Airedale with five hounds of various lineage while hunting both wild boars and blk bears. Those terriers were so fast and agile on the boars and bear it was amazing. They were able to corner and hold animals often without just hanging on like a pit. I preferred it. We had less need for chest pads then, and fewer cut dogs. Our pit and pit crosses need a lesson in strategy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 4733

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com