Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Firearm travel cases

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Loc: England
Firearm travel cases
      #124748 - 21/01/09 10:53 PM

What is your preference for transporting firearms by air?
You may choose only one
Aluminium hard case e.g. Americase
Fireglass/plastic hard case e.g. Plano or SKB
Soft gun case packed inside a Tuffpak or equivalent
Other

Votes accepted from (21/01/09 10:53 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Firearm travel cases [Re: JabaliHunter]
      #124751 - 21/01/09 11:22 PM

that's easy Jabali. I waited 18 months for a custom .22LR from the states (and it cost me A LOT !!)
It arrived at my Spanish gun dealer in one of those hard black plastic "unbreakable" cases. Three
corners of the case were shattered. Amazingly the foam had held the gun in place and it suffered
no damage but I emailed the manufacturer and told him to start using ally cases with custom fitted foam. It's amazing what you see though. I was coming back to Spain last year and there were 4 guys
in front of me checking guns through customs, all pairs of Purdeys and Hollands, one William evans pair I think and they were all in oak and leather cases but the cases were decrepit. I asked the chaps if that was how they were having them put in the hold. "There won't be a problem" they said.
I pray they were right. If I were travelling long haul with a pair the best thing is a fitted
double motorcase which then goes INTO a custom ally box fitted for the guncase. A nice touch with Iberia the other day (and I was in economy !) the head steward walked up me before take off to
assure me my guns were loaded on the plane. Thats is a good feeling, best, Mike

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Firearm travel cases [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #124753 - 21/01/09 11:32 PM

I have an extra large ABS case with 4 padlocks and gas relief valves made by Boyt (same as Pelican). It's also waterproof and floats. I place my guns in soft cases then pack and lock them into the Boyt case. The ball bearing wheels are a big help. I also have heavy foam inserts cut out to fit all of my guns in case I don't use a soft case inside the Boyt travel vault.

No problems so far!

--------------------

Edited by Der_Jaeger (22/01/09 12:33 AM)

Tatume
.400 member

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Gloucester, Va USA
Re: Firearm travel cases [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #124756 - 22/01/09 12:18 AM

"Gun Tests" reviewed and tested a large array of gun cases. They looked at many features, but perhaps the most revealing was the light bulb test. They put 48" fluorescent light tubes inside each case and drove over them with a pickup truck. No case scored 100% success in this test, but SKB two-gun cases were the best. They also scored highest in the water exclusion test, followed by Pelican. Another test that was interesting was the one testing resistance to unauthorized entry. If you can pull a corner of a locked case up and reach inside, you can probably remove the firearm. SKB did very well in this area also.

I now have one-gun and a two-gun SKB cases. The two-gun case places the guns one above the other, like bunk beds. It is more compact, and less likely to allow the guns to shift and touch each other. Interestingly, SKB cases are the most affordable of the high-quality cases ($100/one gun, $200/two guns). They also guarantee the cases and insure the contents for $1500.

--------------------
Take care, Tom
NRA Life Member

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Firearm travel cases [Re: Tatume]
      #124771 - 22/01/09 01:42 AM

I took a SKB to Zimbabwe last September and it worked great. Two other hunters I met in Harrare had aluminum cases and one was mashed in and almost impossible to open. My SKB still looks new!

--------------------
One day at a time...

Ripp
.577 member

Reged: 19/02/07
Loc: Montana, USA
Re: Firearm travel cases [Re: bigmaxx]
      #124786 - 22/01/09 03:12 AM

So,,I have a different view..surprise..

I bought a cabela's safari case many years ago..it has a place where you can slide a rod through and then lock it at the end..becuase I don't trust security a whole lot..I placed a lock in each clamp area -but one key fits all locks..so, as Tatume suggested..it is really difficult to open
"my" case..figure if they see mine coming through with 4 locks on it vs the next one with one..they will go after the "other" one..not sure if that is always the case of not..but actually did happen when I traveled with 2 other guys to Africa..mine was untouched..yet, one of the others didn't show up for 5 1/2 months..then magically it appeared in the airport in Zim...imagine that...

Anyway, mine holds the guns vertically, and after 4 hunts to Africa and 2 to Alaska..I have yet to readjust my scope on either gun when they get there..

Have read the new durable plastics are really good too..the only negative I have read is that they are quite heavy for size..I own a Pelican for my camera equipement..took it when I floated the Grand Canyon last year..worked awesome...

Ripp

--------------------
ALL MEN DIE, BUT FEW MEN TRULY LIVE..

bwananelson
.400 member

Reged: 08/10/07
Loc: DELTONA FLORIDA
Re: Firearm travel cases [Re: Ripp]
      #125358 - 29/01/09 03:41 PM

i have a double rifle skb case been all over north america never had to resight always dead on

--------------------
THERE ARE NO DO OVERS IN LIFE DONT LET A CHANCE AT A DREAM SLIP AWAY.

4seventy
Sponsor

Reged: 07/05/03
Loc: Queensland Australia
      #125372 - 29/01/09 09:55 PM

10 years back I had an aluminium case made to size for my main travel firearm, which of course is a double.
The case is very short at 25 inches outside length, and it weighs 7 pounds empty.
It's short enough that, (standing it on one end) I have used it as a stool to sit on when there is a long queue at the airport check-in.
Actually, I replaced the egg-carton foam yesterday as it had just started to deteriorate.
10 years from the original foam is pretty good I think.
The case holds the taken down rifle, scope and mounts, cleaning rod, jag and brush etc, lube and stripdown tools.
It's very good as far as strength goes, is pretty well dustproof, and gives everything inside good support.
I'm happy with the job it has done, and have had no problems with it.
That same case has been used in many rough outback conditions where it has been subjected to a very harsh ride in the back of 4wd vehicles on extremely rough roads.

Prior to having that case made, for doubles I used the moulded plastic cases designed for shotguns, and for boltguns I used the moulded plastic rifle cases.
None of the moulded plastic cases that I owned were anywhere near as strong as the little custom built aluminium double rifle case IMO.

JabaliHunter
.400 member

Reged: 16/05/07
Re: Firearm travel cases [Re: 4seventy]
      #125374 - 29/01/09 10:47 PM

I'm seriously considering this http://www.pelican-case.com/1650.html
It looks very tough and weighs nearly 30lb !!
I just wish that rifle cases, plastic and aluminium, had lockable latches on the hinge side and not just the front. Seems to be the weakest area.

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
      #125375 - 29/01/09 10:51 PM

Quote:

I'm seriously considering this http://www.pelican-case.com/1650.html
It looks very tough and weighs nearly 30lb !!
I just wish that rifle cases, plastic and aluminium, had lockable latches on the hinge side and not just the front. Seems to be the weakest area.

Take a look at the double rifle cases by Boyt. It's the same as the Pelican but can accomodate 2 rifles much easier. It has the same gas relif valves but has better hinges, locking latches, and wheels. I have a Pelican and a Boyt and prefer the Boyt when I travel with two rifles.

--------------------

taw1126
.333 member

Reged: 24/07/07
Loc: Texas
Re: Firearm travel cases [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #131324 - 03/04/09 02:09 PM

Bear Track. I can't imagine anyone makes a better case than this one.
http://www.beartrackcases.com/

It's the only brand of case I used to transport my antique Winchester lever actions hunting.

500Nitro
.450 member

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: Firearm travel cases [Re: taw1126]
      #131325 - 03/04/09 02:20 PM

Pelican cases are superb but just too damn heavy.

rscott
.333 member

Reged: 21/03/08
Loc: wyo., USA
Re: Firearm travel cases [Re: taw1126]
      #131553 - 05/04/09 11:26 PM

Quote:

Bear Track. I can't imagine anyone makes a better case than this one.
http://www.beartrackcases.com/

It's the only brand of case I used to transport my antique Winchester lever actions hunting.

i've had one of these, (two rifle), for years, from when they were in Glenrock. they're tough and well built, though the latches and locks are subject to damage because they protrude from the case. repaired NC by Beartrack.
also have an old Browning travel vault which i like. airlines broke the end tow handle on that one.
no such thing as 'airline proof', only airline 'resistant'!

crkennedy1
.375 member

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: Utah
Re: Firearm travel cases [Re: rscott]
      #137860 - 24/06/09 06:10 AM

It's my birthday tomorrow (June 24th) - that's today for some of you (depending where you are in the world...) Anyway, I know that we've covered this subject before, but this time it's serious business - I want my wife to give me a new rifle case for my birthday. It needs to be a good one because I'll be hauling my precious Browning A-Bolt (with Zeiss Conquest scope) all the way from Salt Lake City to Johannesburg on September 16th to shoot some PG. I've read the comments above, but I'd like to hear which case you think will do the best job. Fortunately I have a Cabelas right down the road from my house, so if they sell the right case, I can have her purchase it for me tomorrow. All opinions are welcome!

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

tophet1
.400 member

Reged: 15/09/07
Loc: NSW, Australia
Re: Firearm travel cases [Re: crkennedy1]
      #137867 - 24/06/09 08:27 AM

I have an aluminium Winchester Double rifle case and a generic single aluminium rifle case. Nothing flash. I have only done one trip with each overseas.

Weight of the case was a big deciding factor as it eats into what else you can take with you. The Winchester case is good as I can lock it with two keys and two padlocks. The leightweight generic case has two keys and I use a cheap push bike lock wrapped around and under the carry handle.

I would fit roller wheels on one end of the double case if I did a lot of travelling with it.

I have not seen the need for a pressure valve.

I figure lost luggage is more of a problem than theft and domestic theft would be just as much a problem as overseas. If they are going to get in they will, but like Ripp, if it looks more difficult I figure they would go for the easier case.

Edited by tophet1 (24/06/09 08:28 AM)

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Re: Firearm travel cases [Re: tophet1]
      #137869 - 24/06/09 08:50 AM

I also have one of the Winchester DR cases for several years and this one does have wheels. It has been very good thus far.

Regards

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Firearm travel cases [Re: Bramble]
      #137881 - 24/06/09 12:59 PM

Oh and happy birthday crk. Whatever day it is over there.

controlled_feed
.300 member

Reged: 23/05/08
      #137892 - 24/06/09 06:08 PM

Happy birthday

I have a rifle case that was made in Australia. I think it is a DanCase.It is the type that has a light aluminium skin over a plywood carcass. Had it for about 10 years, been to NZ 3 times, Africa, Alaska and all over oz. I use it about weekly to carry firearms to and from our farm and to the range. It has a good few baggage handler souvenirs and shows a few owner initiated quality testing marks. It has two key lockable catches and two locked by padlocks.

It has never let me down and will see a fair bit more use yet.

Very happy with it. It doesn't have wheels.

My .02

CF

Edited by controlled_feed (24/06/09 06:09 PM)

crkennedy1
.375 member

Re: Firearm travel cases [Re: controlled_feed]
      #137945 - 25/06/09 08:23 AM

Thanks thopet1 - it's been a quiet birthday so far (the big 5-0 today... feeling old!) Did you get over to Africa yet? I know you had a hunt planned. I'm off to Cabelas to see what kind of cases they have. But I'm not in a hurry to buy, so keep the advice coming...

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

SharpsNitro
.375 member

Reged: 12/08/08
Loc: Arizona, USA
      #137947 - 25/06/09 08:32 AM

I have the Pelican 1750, great case aside from the weight. I have stuck a shipping label on it and sent it through UPS and FedEx (a couple of short shank padlocks makes it pretty secure) domestically. It also went to Africa last year with no problems.

tophet1
.400 member

Re: Firearm travel cases [Re: crkennedy1]
      #137955 - 25/06/09 09:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks thopet1 - it's been a quiet birthday so far (the big 5-0 today... feeling old!) Did you get over to Africa yet? I know you had a hunt planned. I'm off to Cabelas to see what kind of cases they have. But I'm not in a hurry to buy, so keep the advice coming...

PM sent. I know how you feel. I'm 49.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=137292&an=0&page=0#Post137292

Ballistics Report:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=137462&Main=137336#Post137462

Edited by tophet1 (25/06/09 09:58 AM)

crkennedy1
.375 member

#137997 - 26/06/09 02:55 AM

I spent a while at Cabelas last night and looked at the rifle cases. The only Pelican cases they had were small in size for hand guns. There were two brands that stood out - both were cases that hold two rifles. One is made by SKB and the other was made by Boyt. The Boyt looked like the sturdier of the two. Any experience with either? I noticed that the SKB also provides $1,500 coverage of your gun.

--------------------
DOUBLE or NOTHING

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6053

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com