Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Shoulder stock for a Colt Huntsman .22lr

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Handguns

Pages: 1
RHB
.300 member

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: India
Shoulder stock for a Colt Huntsman .22lr
      #136947 - 08/06/09 05:02 PM

Are these available or has anyone made one for theirs?

Thanks.

Rustam

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
88MauSporter
.375 member

Reged: 06/06/07
Loc: Alaska / Texas
Re: Shoulder stock for a Colt Huntsman .22lr [Re: RHB]
      #136982 - 09/06/09 12:56 AM

RHB:
These were illegal in the USA for many years. It is only with certian handguns that are classed as collectable that these can be made and adapted. Otherwise we run into legal issues with federal law.
There may have been prototypes, but not sold in the USA.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Shoulder stock for a Colt Huntsman .22lr [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #136988 - 09/06/09 01:09 AM

I have an "in the box" Colt Huntsman with a 4" barrel and the original 1967 receipt for $67.00. I'd also be interested if these were available only for curiosity. I wouldn't ever use it for my particular pistol.

--------------------

RHB
.300 member

Re: Shoulder stock for a Colt Huntsman .22lr [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #136989 - 09/06/09 01:51 AM

88MauSporter,

Now that you mention it I do recall that one could own a Mauser C96 but not the wooden case that doubled as a shoulder stock or something along those lines.

A friend wanted one of these so that he could teach his 5 year old son as the regular rimfire rifle is still way too heavy for him.

Anyway, it shouldn't be difficult to cobble one up with an adjustable length of pull.

Regards,

Rustam

P.S. Der Jaeger, if I come across one, I will post the link.

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
      #137034 - 09/06/09 10:56 PM

Various laws that may be restrictive apply in different locales in the USA, but Federal law does not ban shoulder-stocked pistols in the USA. It regulates them thru taxation. It is easy to obtain a Federal tax stamp for a "Short Barreled Rifle" in the USA, and requires only a completed application to BATFE/NFA Branch along with the paying of the special $200 tax. There are a few pistols that are exempted from this requirement. Some Lugers and M96 Mausers. NFA publishes a list. Check the list and law closely before stocking. I have heard {cannot confirm} that Federal charges can be filed for merely possessing a stock and a pistol that takes it unless said combination is registered.

Anyway, other pistols may be registered and then stocked.

Stocking a pistol may seem innocuous but in the USA it is a Federal crime of the first water. Don't do it unless the gun is registered and tax paid. I have myself registered a 1973 Browning High Power.

In putting together survival kit for my ski jaunts, some years ago I wanted to test a number of pistols off the shoulder but did not want to modify the pistols or pay the tax required by creating SBR's. I requested and was provided a legal review of a support of my own design that allows a handgun to be rested on the shoulder while firing {it is not attached to the pistol}. This legal review process is done thru BATFE/NFA Technical Branch. My design was stated in a letter from same that it did not create an SBR out of a handgun, and allowed me to fabricate the supports and test the pistols. Since I received differing opinions from several field offices of ATFE I wanted to know for sure and am glad I made the request. I have found BATFE/NFA Branch to be very helpful on many occaisions when I have called or written for clarification of some mysterious bit of "guncrankism".

As for the shooting of pistols off the shoulder, there isn't much to be gained by a good pistol shooter unless he is fatigued, under which circumstance the support does seem to help a bit. POI changes when most pistols are fired from the shoulder with a support.

I set up a support for Ruger MK1 and MK2 .22's, Browning 1910/1922 .32's, SIG P226's. I shot alot of ground squirrels with such supported pistols and found them to be an interesting diversion.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

88MauSporter
.375 member

Re: Shoulder stock for a Colt Huntsman .22lr [Re: 9.3x57]
      #137053 - 10/06/09 03:37 AM

The M96 and shoulder stock is a nice combo. It balances well, and I haven't noticed the difference in impact of shot placement. I can't say that I have tried many comparisons of the on shoulder with stock vs the shooting from the hand.
It does group very well and is pleasant to shoot.

I have a late 1960's model Woodsman with 6" barrel. The adjustable target sighted Huntsman.
I have taken at least 50 rabbits in Alaska, several marmots above tree line (taste like turkey and great liver!) and won several .22 handgun silhouette matches in years past with it. I still carry it as my dispatcher when hunting larger game many times or just for the hiking when allowed.
Great pistols.

--------------------
"A hunter should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everthing goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." 88MauSporter

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Shoulder stock for a Colt Huntsman .22lr [Re: 88MauSporter]
      #137078 - 10/06/09 01:44 PM

88:

The biggest challenges facing the stocked pistol are close eye relief and short sight radius.

Both the Artillery Luger and the 96 with long barrel have the best options going for sight radius, with eye relief best probably with the Artillery Luger with forward mounted tangent sight as far as factory guns are concerned. Maybe the Borchardt was OK, too, but I'll never know!

Those are the best guns going I suppose. The stocked Mauser really handles well indeed, and I can see why Bell liked his in 9mm Export Mauser caliber.

One other great thing the 96 has going for it is its .30 Mauser caliber. That and the very similar 7.62x25 are IMO possibly the two most useful field cartridges made. I'd love to have a stocked 96 for my uses here.

Comparatively short barrelled pistols like the High Power don't benefit much by the stock, though I improved the performance of mine dramatically by reworking the sights. I've wondered if a peep rear would be best.

If I was designing a gun for practical use with a stock I'd want a 7 inch, trim barrel, stock of at least 15 inches and peep rear OR sight mounted at the breech end of the barrel as the Artillery Luger to push it away from the eye a wee bit. With my shoulder support, my 6 inch MK2 Ruger does quite well.

Allowed to dream a bit, I'd love to have a modern, stocked pistol with the stock set up like the old Heckler & Koch VP70 or the Armalite survival .22, ie a modern holster-stock configuration in plastic. With a synthetic frame, the gun would be very light. Sighted right, such a setup would be one of the most useful woods tools ever devised.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Edited by 9.3x57 (11/06/09 12:10 AM)

ChrisPer
.300 member

Reged: 12/05/08
Loc: Australia
      #137096 - 10/06/09 11:05 PM

With my 7.63 broomie there is a definite difference in POI with the stock attached. The sights are set for the stock, and fired one-handed it hits a couple of inches high at 25m.

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Shoulder stock for a Colt Huntsman .22lr [Re: ChrisPer]
      #137098 - 10/06/09 11:22 PM

Quote:

With my 7.63 broomie there is a definite difference in POI with the stock attached. The sights are set for the stock, and fired one-handed it hits a couple of inches high at 25m.

Easy to change adjustable sights are an almost-requirement with a stocked pistol.

With fixed sight guns its Kentucky Windage for stock or hand held. My support that does not attach to the gun has the same POI effect also.

--------------------

88MauSporter
.375 member

#137103 - 11/06/09 12:57 AM

I need to do some additional shooting with and without the stock fitted.
i would like to try some longer range shooting with this. Say 50 to 100 meters.
If I had this in Alaska, it would have made a dandy marmot shooter. These were a great hunt.
At first I would hunt them with the woodsman. Then they got wary and the range we had to shoot got longer. At first the .22 LR was fine for under 50 meters. The marmots would range to about 15 or so pounds. Head shots were a must. The woodsman (and my yong eyes) could do this consistantly.
When the range became longer, I swithed to my Ruger BH single action in .30 carbine caliber. It is the only one I have ever seen. This would take them very well with the speer 1/2 jacket bullets. Some shots were over 75 yards. I think the .30 Mauser cartridge with the 86 to 90 grain SN bullets would be just the trick. This would be a nice light weapon to carry and have plenty of rounds in reserve. ( Not what you would wnat to run into the stray angry grizzly with though!) The hunting terrain was high mountains, steep slopes and large boulders. The marmots would eat the ferns and grasses and small plants that grew out of the rocky cracks in the summer. We would eat them to supplement the meat supply. The bears thought the same.
AHH! Country fried marmott liver!

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

Reged: 09/01/04
Loc: State of Ill-Annoy USA.
      #137315 - 15/06/09 09:58 AM

Rustam,

C 96s with shoulder stocks are legal in India. I know people who have them. Over here, it is a different story as the barrel has to be at least 16" long.

--------------------
The Ark was made by amateurs. Experts built the Titanic.

Mehul Kamdar

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Shoulder stock for a Colt Huntsman .22lr [Re: mehulkamdar]
      #137323 - 15/06/09 10:12 AM

Quote:

Rustam,

C 96s with shoulder stocks are legal in India. I know people who have them. Over here, it is a different story as the barrel has to be at least 16" long.

Mehul, see my first post.

Easy to get the Tax Stamp "short barreled rifles" here. States can regulate, too, but I believe some C96's don't even need the Tax Stamp. ATFE can advise.

--------------------

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#137326 - 15/06/09 10:27 AM

9.3x57,

Thanks for the correction. Since I happen to live in the state of Ill-Annoy, I don;t even check about things like this. This state wanted to ban even 50 cal muzzleloaders . . .

Good hunting, my friend!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

9.3x57
.450 member

#137332 - 15/06/09 12:23 PM

Quote:

the state of Ill-Annoy,

I would laugh, but... Growing up in the very similar New Jersey, I feel your pain!

Well, I guess the bright side is that at least you got rid of one worthless politician recently, even if he did wind up in the White House...

I'm really amazed that the C96 is legal in India. Very interesting!

Were they somewhat popular there "back in the day"?

--------------------

Edited by 9.3x57 (15/06/09 12:23 PM)

mehulkamdar
.416 member

#137524 - 19/06/09 03:03 AM

9.3x57,

I cannot take the credit for "Ill-Annoy" as I learned the term from my friend Steve Zihn. It is appropriate, isn;t it? Since then, another friend has given me another term that works equally well - New Yuck City.

Somehow, the Indian authorities - Commie thugs, the lot of them - don't have a clue about guns other than restricting their ownership among law abiding citizens by restricting licenses. That is how some old guns that would otherwise be considered illegal for various reasons are still in private ownership.

As an aside, a member here has told a newspaper in India in a rare pro gun piece that the newspaper did, that when he went with his 12 ga SxS shotgun to the Commissioner of Police to get it registered, he was asked if it was a tifle or a revolver. And I'm not making this up - I could find the interview on the newspaper's website if you are interested.

Another very good friend who visits the USA to shoot pheasants with me walked at a march post the Mumbai attacks asking for gun ownership for law abiding Indians and was denied a license because the Chief of Police in Bangalore called him "an arms trafficker."

Never heard of an Indian politician getting arrested for owning illegal firearms except when the politician in question fell out of power, and, the flip side to official stupidity and thuggishness that is a way of life in India means that the country has, according to the UN, the largest number of illegal firearms in the world.

What a bloody mess!

--------------------

Mehul Kamdar

RHB
.300 member

#138732 - 09/07/09 04:21 PM

Quote:

As an aside, a member here has told a newspaper in India in a rare pro gun piece that the newspaper did, that when he went with his 12 ga SxS shotgun to the Commissioner of Police to get it registered, he was asked if it was a tifle or a revolver. And I'm not making this up - I could find the interview on the newspaper's website if you are interested.

That would be me. I had taken the rimfire rifle to the cop shop to have it endorsed on the licence and he looks the rifle up and down and then asks me if it is shotgun or a pistol. Keeping a poker face at such times isn't easy but I just about managed it.

A few years later when I had to get the shotgun endorsed, the bloke did not even look at me or the gun. Banged his stamp on the licence, signed and dated it and I was out. Had I known, I would have taken along a full-auto shotgun.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3877

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com