Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Leather boots

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Miscellaneous Topics >> Sporting equipment

Pages: 1
vegard_dino
.333 member

Reged: 05/03/09
Loc: From Norway, but living in Swi...
Leather boots
      #128912 - 07/03/09 12:41 AM

Hi

I am looking around for some good, all leather boots, but its ahrd to find. More and more are in some kind of cob with high tech materials.....and I am no fan of that.
Anyone got some idea of where to look?

Thanks for looking

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mike_Bailey
.400 member

Reged: 26/02/07
Loc: GB
Re: Leather boots [Re: vegard_dino]
      #128922 - 07/03/09 03:35 AM

Vegard, I have the highest regard for Russell Moccasin company, they have a number of types of boot.
I have been using them for 6 years and have a couple of different models, 2 pair for summer, 2 for winter. They are in my opinion the best, the problem is waiting time and you will have to send them
drawings of your feet if this is your first pair. They will take 3-4 months to arrive, best, Mike

9.3x57
.450 member

Reged: 22/04/07
Loc: United States
Re: Leather boots [Re: Mike_Bailey]
      #128928 - 07/03/09 04:35 AM

WHITE'S BOOTS.

SPOKANE, WASHINGTON, USA.

HANDMADE AND FITTED TO YOUR FEET.

BEST BOOTS MADE.

FOR NON-WINTER CONDITIONS IN NORGE OR SCHWEIZ, THE SMOKE JUMPER/LOGGER IS PRIMO.

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

vegard_dino
.333 member

Re: Leather boots [Re: 9.3x57]
      #128931 - 07/03/09 06:25 AM

Hi thanks for the reply and info. I will send some mail and se what I find out. ill post what I go for here later

Thank you

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

Bramble
.375 member

Reged: 29/07/06
Loc: England
      #128940 - 07/03/09 10:09 AM

I have used Zamberlan (spelling?) Italian made climbing boots for bad wheather work, same pair for the last decade. I can't speak highly enough of them.
They are all leather, I soak them in neetsfoot oil at the end of the season.

Regards

Cinghiale
.333 member

Reged: 15/04/08
Loc: Northern Territory
Re: Leather boots [Re: Bramble]
      #128950 - 07/03/09 01:54 PM

I concur with Bramble.

I wore a pair of Zamberlan's for 8 1/2 months straight in south west Asia and they did it all mountains, deserts and steets. I carried at least 15kg at any time and I never had foot issues. They were great from 35 degrees to -15c. Great boot and worth the cost. They are easy to look after too.

Alternately Scarpa another Italian company makes great boots that are just as good.

Regards,

MOG

9.3x57
.450 member

Re: Leather boots [Re: Cinghiale]
      #128951 - 07/03/09 02:35 PM

Vegard:

Google Whites and US Forest Service.

Your call.

They are the choice of USFS Fire fighters and most all loggers in the Northwest.

My son fought fire with the US Forest Service last year in White's. Several team members failed, and one was taken to hospital in critical condition due to foot breakdown and deep infection. None of those who broke down were wearing White's. My son topped every mountain with the first of all teams.

NICK's are also excellent, by the way.

I wear mine during all seasons I am not either in skiboots or gumboots. I put just at 300 miles per year in mine on hikes and then 6 months ranch work in non-slop seasons in White's.

Here area few of mine. Front pair are my most recent build. Farthest are 12 years old with several thousand miles on them. Middle pair are Packers, used for hike and horse work in the mountains here.

My wife chewed me out but good for setting them on the kitchen bar.

UFF DA!!

--------------------
What are the Rosary, the Cross or the Crucifix other than tools to help maintain the fortress of our faith in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

Pigeon
.224 member

Reged: 05/11/08
Loc: Germany (mid)
      #128961 - 07/03/09 08:44 PM

my best are the Scarpa´s

some more (of course they have also Gtx modells, but I also prefer 100% leathers:
HanWag
Meindl

--------------------
life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
http://www.titanium-gunworks.de

Der_Jaeger
.375 member

Reged: 09/10/08
Loc: SE Pennsylvania
Re: Leather boots [Re: Pigeon]
      #128965 - 07/03/09 11:33 PM

It depends on what you're boots are intended for. For upland gunning, I'll add Filson and Russell to the list without reservation. I've had my Filson 10" lace-ups and my Filson Chukkas for many years and keep them properly conditioned and waxed. I love them! For a more general use, "work boot", I would probably pick White's.

--------------------

vegard_dino
.333 member

Re: Leather boots [Re: Der_Jaeger]
      #128988 - 08/03/09 03:10 AM

Hello hello all

Hei hei

Well, thanks for all the replys to me. Great!

I will send some mails and find out more about the Whites, they do look great!!!! Sorry about your kitchen bar Madam 9.3*57
The scarpa looks good to, thanks for helping me out.

But, yes, the boots will be used for forest hunting in Europe, and mountain hunting to thinking about it.
Also, they will follow me on my US Elk hunt, just have to make the booking.......
For hot weather hunting, as in Africa or Australia, I think they will be a bit to thick. Or, maybe not.

Have a good weekend

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

9.3x57
.450 member

#128989 - 08/03/09 03:41 AM

Vegard:

White's can be sized according to their instructions. Different foot sizes, leg-length discrepancies and other foot irregularities can be addressed so your boots are built just for you.

Certainly there are conditions in Africa where such boots would be necessary, but in general I suspect they would be hot and heavy for the type of hunting most fellows do. I have hunted or hiked in East Africa, Central Africa and southern Africa and except for parts of the Drakensberg and Karkloof Mountains boots like Whites aren't really needed and other shoes are probably better. Except for those two areas, I found hiking and hunting in Africa very easy on the feet by comparison to where I live here.

For mountain conditions the White's are superb. None of mine are insulated and in deep cold here I wear their Elk Guide model, a felt-lined, waterproof pac-boot.

White's Smokejumpers/Loggers are not waterproof. A small price to pay for the support and stability they offer. They require breaking-in and you don't want to get a pair and then need them for hard use immediately. We actually soak the new ones in the stock tank and then wear them to dry. They mold and contour to the feet.

There are newer materials certainly and Gore-Tex for example is a wonderful material for some applications, but for almost a hundred years White's have set the standard for tough-use footwear and as mentioned are the boot of choice of loggers and US Forest Service fire fighters all over the West.

Also excellent are Westco and Nick's boots. White's, Nick's and Westco boots are not lightweight

--------------------

vegard_dino
.333 member

#128992 - 08/03/09 04:53 AM

9.3*57

Hello and thank you!

Great information on boots.
Well, as you say, they have made them for over a 100 years, and leather is leather. I am not a fan of the modern high tec materials. Good leather boots is what I seek.

We used to have a maker in Norway, but sadly they had to close down some years ago. Got 2 from them stil, just lovely boots. But, need a new one to....dont we all need just one more?????

Have a good weekend and thanks for helping me

Vegard

--------------------
Cheers all, Vegard_dino

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
      #136770 - 05/06/09 05:25 PM

G'Day Vergard_Dino,

It all depends on where you will be Walking or Climbing whilst Hunting,

If you are alpine mountain hunting with a mix of both flat country walking and climbing, I'm biased as I like and have worn out 2 pairs of Italian, "Scarpa SL" boots. They are all leather, my third pair are a couple of years old now but I see the latest version of these seem to have been made to be more for climbing than walking (That need to be confirmed by some one else that knows more about them than I). They seem to have less flex in the sole so as to give your feet more support when climbing. What ever you do, don't purchase climbing boots and then take them bush walking as they wreck your feet. They don't have enough flex in the sole, for constant walking.

I once had an NZ alpine hunting guide tell me, the Italians make the best boots!
I imagine he would know, as he used to wear out a pair every season (in 6 months)!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
      #136771 - 05/06/09 05:56 PM

Dino - we still have a maker of pure leather. hand made, sawn boots as they were made 100 years ago - I have a pair for 30years - they are on their 3rd vibram and 2nd tongue by now - see it here (sorry only in Slovenian):

http://www.gojzar.si/gojzar.html

93mouse
.375 member

Reged: 17/08/07
Loc: Slovenia
Re: Leather boots [Re: 93mouse]
      #136778 - 05/06/09 07:32 PM

Then there is Trabert:

http://www.trabert-schuhe.de/index.php?section=jagd&sub=jagdstiefel

And Meindl makes a "Perfect" model:

http://www.frankonia.de/shop/Berg-und_Jagdstiefel/_/bid/237160/vs/1/productdetail.html

JAWZ
.224 member

Reged: 12/05/09
Loc: NSW , Sydney , Australia
Re: Leather boots [Re: 93mouse]
      #136779 - 05/06/09 09:21 PM

Definately the mindels they are quite simply awsome.

tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
      #136800 - 06/06/09 05:23 AM

I wear a pair of custom Wesco Boots

My current pair has lasted over ten years so far, and easily have another ten years in them before they'll need much service.
Wesco builds them specifically for your foot, and you can have them build in your choice of styles with your choice of features (steel shank, lined with leather or not, any height of boot/number of lace eyelets...) and materials.

My boots have gotten me into and out of all kinds of imaginable and unimaginable trouble. They've never been a limit to what I could do.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

Caprivi
.375 member

Reged: 30/09/08
Loc: America's Serengeti, Buffalo W...
Re: Leather boots [Re: tinker]
      #136810 - 06/06/09 08:30 AM

I will put my 2 cents in a declare the best I have found are the Courteney Boot Co. "Selous" for everything from leisure to cool weather semi-rough terrain. I wear them everyday unless work calls for very dirty conditions. I have walked 18 miles in them. Very nice. For wetter, cooler, tougher/rougher going I use the Meindl 7" PerFekt Hiker. I do not like a insulated boot as I am very active hunter so my feet will sweat then freeze. When forced to use a tough boot and super cold conditions (and the option of guarding the wood stove is off) I use the Meindl Alaska Hunter with 200gm thinsulate.

The Whites, 9.3 is describing, are popular here but the "Logger" style heel kills my back when carring a heavy pack. I do have a pair of White's PacBoots.

--------------------
To live life as it is handed to me from God

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
Re: Leather boots [Re: Caprivi]
      #136855 - 07/06/09 02:23 AM

I picked up some Irish Setter Chukkas in kangaroo leather from Cabelas for my hunt in Zimbabwe last year. They are very comfortable and rugged. I recommend them highly. They were about $135.00 or so. I couldnt afford Russell Boots, although they are considered the best by most folks. My boots are lightweight too. Also, be sure to get some TexasHuntCo gaiters. They slip over the top of these boots and are a real lifesaver. This worked out to be an ideal combo for cool lightweight trekking in the Zambezi Valley.

--------------------
One day at a time...

tinker
.416 member

Re: Leather boots [Re: bigmaxx]
      #136875 - 07/06/09 01:17 PM

I had my Wesco boots built on a similar pattern to the boots 9.3 shows above, only much taller on the calf and with laces/eyelets even further down to the toes.
Also - built especially for my feet, which makes all the difference in the world for me as my feet are wide across the knuckles, this way I get excellent support without smashing my feet across the ball of my foot.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

9.3x57
.450 member

#136885 - 07/06/09 10:55 PM

Quote:

Also - built especially for my feet, which makes all the difference in the world for me

Exactly.

And as Caprivi states, the design I like so much he doesn't.

Boots are interesting things because they attempt to achieve the same result {stability and comfort}for all people though all people have very different feet, body structures, etc.

For example, Caprivi's problem with White's is one I have never heard before and it runs opposite of what I have experienced and found with others, but his critique is legitimate because it affects him. Forest firefighters like my son wear a minimum of a 40 pound line pack constantly {required and damn poorly designed and brutally uncomfortable IMHO...} and commonly 90 or more pounds of gear on severe slopes and very unstable ground surfaces and they can't skirt areas that are rough like we hunters and hikers usually can, they have to go right thru them, the absolute worst conditions applied to a boot. The type of boots they wear is critical not just to comfort but to safety and health as well and the ones in top demand are White's, Wesco and Nick's. My son has seen critical injuries caused by other boots, injuries literally requiring Medivac {severe blisters and consequent bone infections}.

Tho not involving backpacks, I reckon the second most challenging activity for a boot is logging in steep, mountainous terrain. It is often simply ridiculous for what it requires of a man and his boots and again, those boots most commonly seen in the woods of the West and PACNW are the same three cited above.

But a "White's" boot or other isn't a factory mass-produced boot. They are each custom built or can be. For example, Tinker likes a higher boot than me. I have skinny but strong ankles and over the years found high boots don't allow me the foot grip that shorter ones do. And the last pair I had made used a combination of last and design features from several standard patterns to build the best boot I've yet bought from Whites. You CAN buy a pair off the rack, but I don't. The cost difference is nil and I have mine custom designed and built.

One thing needs to be emphasized; I can speak for White's and Nicks, not sure about Wesco, but they will require a "long" break-in period. We soak them in the stock tank and wear them dry, and sometimes it takes a few wettings before they mold to the feet and they can be very uncomfortable during the break-in period. White's have no steel arch that can rust and break, they have instead and by purpose about 2+cm of hard leather that molds to the arch and after a time blends around the foot. Do not buy a pair of these type of boots and expect instant comfort.

Many boots feel comfy in the store but turn out to be severe liabilities under severe conditions.

--------------------

tinker
.416 member

#136892 - 08/06/09 12:31 AM

On break-in of new (leather) boots --

Something I got from the Wardrobe Department of production companies I'd worked with ages ago is that alcohol (I've used isopropyl straight from the jug) will quickly wet into tough boot leather and cause the microscopic fibers to loosen and slip, then quickly evaporates and leaves the leather alone so that it won't mildew or rot.
Wear those brand new boots soaking wet with alcohol. They'll shift to fit you and the way you move right away. Follow-up with proper conditioning oil and they stay supple and strong, lasting as long or longer than they'd have otherwise.

Another side-effect of this kind of break-in process is that if you'd had any hint of concern about foot fungus or stink, it's guaranteed to be history after an hour or two of doing your chores in alcohol-soaked boots!

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------

bigmaxx
.375 member

Reged: 13/06/07
Loc: Bowling Green KY U.S.A.
      #136902 - 08/06/09 03:37 AM

Drink the alcohol and soak the boots in water. Wear until dry. Boots are now broken in. Do NOT drive or operate dangerous machines during breakin period.

--------------------
One day at a time...

Homer
.416 member

Reged: 07/04/09
Loc: Canberra, Australia
Re: Leather boots [Re: bigmaxx]
      #137020 - 09/06/09 07:25 PM

I'm with BigMaxx on the alcohol and water thing.

Fella's, there are all kinds of boots for all kinds of hunting and those that I use in Alpine areas need to be as hard as you can get them. I usually seal mine with "SNOW SEAL" to assist with waterproofing but the last pair of Scarpa SL's (at $370.00 Australian) that I retired, only lasted the equivalent of, 6 continuous weeks of alpine hunting before the leather was cut to pieces by the rocks! The soles were still good enough for hill and flat country hunting but not good enough for another week in the bluff's.
I love hunting (Tahr and Chamois,) in the alpine regions of New Zealand and so do all the boot makers of the world, as it keeps them in business!!!

HooRoo
From
Hommer

--------------------
"Beware the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity,
Lick it Once and You Will Suck Forever"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 8298

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com