Home | Ezine | Forums | Links | Contact
NitroExpress.com: Cleaned up Lee Speed

View recent messages : 24 hours | 48 hours | 7 days | 14 days | 30 days | 60 days | More Smilies

*** Enjoy NitroExpress.com? Participate and join in. ***

Shooting & Reloading - Mausers, Big Bores and others >> Lee Speed Forum & Archive

Pages: 1
Canyon
.224 member

Reged: 10/05/09
Loc: Blue Ridge Mountains, VA
Cleaned up Lee Speed
      #136208 - 27/05/09 12:32 PM

I just got my Lee Speed back from the gunsmith. It cleaned up very well and after inspecting it the smith said it was in great shape. I got a box of .303 and test fired it when I got home. I was pleasantly surprised by the low recoil and smooth feel of the rifle when it fired. I will take it to the range this weekend and post reports of the results. Thanks to all who helped with info on this rifle. I hope to have jc5 post pics of the rifle now that the rust has been removed and it is cleaned up. I know the magazine is hideous and I hope to find a suitable replacement soon. If anyone can help in the hunt for a good magazine please let me know.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tinker
.416 member

Reged: 12/03/05
Loc: Nevada
Re: Cleaned up Lee Speed [Re: Canyon]
      #136210 - 27/05/09 01:03 PM

Congratulations

Take some photos of proper vintage sporter magazines along with that big-box you have to a full-custom chopper build shop (like what you see on the TV shows), have one of their 'tin men' form you a properly shaped bottom plate (can likely cut from a throw-away front fender), cut the box, and silver solder the floor plate in place.

From there you can either choose to have it engraved or just have it rust-blued in the old fashion.

Bang, you have a proper sporter magazine.

Cheers
Tinker

--------------------
--Self-Appointed Colonel, DRSS--

"It IS a dangerous game, and so named for a reason, and you can't play from the keyboard. " --Some Old Texan...

jc5
.300 member

Reged: 10/10/07
Loc: West Coast, USA
Re: Cleaned up Lee Speed [Re: tinker]
      #136325 - 29/05/09 12:28 AM

Great suggestion from Tinker about the mag!

Canyon, I have posted your new pics of the cleaned up rifle on the original thread you opened, so that that people can see it Before & After:

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=136324&page=0&vc=1#Post136324

--------------------
Researching Lee Speeds and all commercial Lee Enfields. If you have data to share or questions, please send me a PM.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  NitroX 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2646

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us NitroExpress.com